March 29, 2024, 01:29:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Swift Hand of Hillary  (Read 4351 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 26, 2007, 07:43:24 PM »

I for one cannot wait for these books to be released, she has as much as her gonad-wagging hubby to hide. What Hillary wants, Hillary gets. At least it will be in hard copy soon.

How to kill a book, in 3 easy steps

By: Ben Smith
May 25, 2007 05:02 PM EST
Updated: May 26, 2007 02:14 PM EST

Here's how you kill a book:

First, see to it that it emerges into the public eye on the Friday of a holiday weekend.

Then, express ostentatious boredom at its contents.

Then, attack.

Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson declined to comment on the question of whether the campaign leaked to The Washington Post a copy of one of two forthcoming biographies of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.). And though there’s no confirmation that the Clinton campaign leaked either book, there is at least some circumstantial evidence that points that way.

“The only people who have an interest in putting it out on a Friday before Memorial Day are the Clinton folks,” said Chris Lehane, a veteran of Clinton White House damage control.

The use on Clinton’s website of passages from one book also appeared to confirm that the campaign had a copy of the book in its possession.

Meanwhile Philippe Reines, Clinton’s spokesman, drew chuckles inside the Beltway for his canned response to the books: “Is it possible to be quoted yawning?”

But the campaign's precise reaction contradicted its showy lack of interest, particularly in one of the two books: “Her Way,” by former New York Times reporter Jeff Gerth and current Timesman Don Van Natta Jr.

At 8:41 p.m. on Thursday, before The Washington Post story appeared, Media Matters for America, a democratic-leaning group whose founders are close to the New York Democrat senator's presidential  campaign, launched a dense 2,713-word attack on Gerth. The reporter has been loathed by some Clinton supporters since he was the first national journalist to write about the Whitewater affair in 1992, an investigation that unpredictably would lead to Clinton's impeachment six years later. (Media Matters spokesman Karl Frisch didn't respond immediately to the question of whether his group had coordinated with the Clinton campaign.)

At 1:24 p.m. Friday, the campaign went on the attack. Clinton research director Judd Legum posted a blog item on Clinton’s website claiming that “the book's central premise has already been debunked.”

The premise in question: that the Clintons had long plotted a two-decade path for both of them to the White House. A source quoted in The Washington Post, the historian Taylor Branch, disputed Gerth and Van Natta’s report that Branch had told two people about the "plan."

In the Post piece detailing the books’ contents, Reines declared, evidently between yawns, that they are “cash for rehash.”

“I think that was a phrase that they concocted months ago, before they knew the first thing about what was in our book,” Van Natta said Friday in an interview from his New Jersey home. “I wonder if they'll be yawning when they realize more than half our book is about Hillary’s Senate career, and it’s all new material.”

He also criticized the Post’s stress on the early portions of the book and its focus on the notion of a two-decade Clinton “plan.”

“Peter Baker did a terrible job,” he said of the Post's lead reporter on the Friday piece.

Baker declined to respond to Van Natta's criticism.

The Post article reveals details of both the Gerth and Van Natta volume and of Carl Bernstein’s “A Woman in Charge,” though the Clinton campaign’s attack on the former is more intense. It reports that “Her Way” delves into Hillary Clinton’s supervising attacks on an alleged Bill Clinton lover, Gennifer Flowers, and quotes passages from Bernstein’s book on Hillary Clinton’s reaction to her husband’s infidelity. The Post also said that the book dwells on Bill Clinton’s attempts to seize the issue of climate change from his vice president, Al Gore.

The Post piece doesn’t contain any blockbuster new facts, though the return to the sordid Clinton coverage of the 1990s may serve as a reminder of what voters liked least about the Clinton presidency.

The Post reports that the Times reporters’ book “suggests” that Hillary Clinton did not read the National Intelligence Estimate on Iraq in 2002 before voting to authorize the invasion of Iraq. Reines responded Friday that she had been briefed on it.

None of the other senators running for president has claimed to have read the document at the time, and John McCain and Chris Dodd conceded Friday to The Politico that they had not, while spokesmen for the others did not respond immediately to the question. The Washington Post reported in 2004 that only six senators had viewed the classified report.

Any leaks, and the campaign against the book, are not new tactics.

During Clinton’s 2000 Senate campaign, Wolfson directed a fierce campaign at another book, “Hillary's Choice,” by Gail Sheehy. As in this case, the attacks began before the book hit the stands, and focused on — in that case — real inaccuracies. Wolfson went so far as to appear at Sheehy’s book events to discredit the volume.

It was a pattern that repeated Friday.

“Given that the central premise has already been discredited two weeks before its publication date, I can understand why Mr. Van Natta is unhappy,”  Wolfson said. Only the Clinton campaign has characterized Branch’s comments that way, and Van Natta denied that the supposed “20-year plan” was the book’s central premise.

The leak seemed calculated to catch the publishers off guard, though people familiar with each book’s publication plans said both are still on schedule. Bernstein’s book is due out from Knopf on June 5.

The Gerth and Van Natta volume is due out from Little, Brown on June 8, and an 8,000-word treatment of the book’s details on the run-up to the Iraq war is still scheduled to run on the cover of The New York Times Magazine on June 3, people familiar with the plans said.

Van Natta said part of its inspiration came from reading Hillary Clinton's own autobiography, “Living History.”

“I read her autobiography, and it was a big incentive for me to take on ‘Her Way,’” he said.

“I thought her book was mainly a platform for her inevitable run for president, and it raised more questions about her than it answered.”

He declined to discuss the substance of “Her Way,” which was not obtained by The Politico. The Clinton campaign didn’t respond to requests from Politico for the book, and the publisher is maintaining its embargo.

Van Natta also engaged the Clinton campaign’s main attack on his book, a dispute over his report that the historian Branch had told two others early in the Clinton presidency that President Clinton “still planned two terms in the White House for Bill and, later, two for Hillary.”

Talking to the Post, Branch dismissed the report as “preposterous” and said he’d never heard talk of a “plan” for both Clintons to be president.

Van Natta responded that “the Post implied we did not contact [Branch], but we did and he declined to comment.”

“He's one of Bill Clinton’s best friends,” Van Natta added.

He also said he had a second source for the supposed plan.

“Leon Panetta is quoted in our book talking about the 20-year project,” he said, referring to the former White House chief of staff for Bill Clinton.

Panetta did not respond immediately to a call seeking his version of events. Rolling Eyes

I continue to stand with the girl.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 07:50:27 PM »

It's as below:

Clinton 'planned to divorce Hillary to be with one of his many lovers'
By WILLIAM LOWTHER -  25th May 2007

Bill Clinton was ready to divorce Hillary to be with one of his lovers, according to a book out next month.

The marriage crisis is said to have ended with his wife talking him out of the move, telling a friend "there are worse things than infidelity".

The story is among a string of revelations in two books detailing Mrs Clinton's rise to the U.S. Senate and her push for the presidency.

Both works document her husband's many affairs when he was governor of Arkansas.

Carl Bernstein claims in A Woman in Charge that the love of the former president's life was business executive Marilyn Jo Jenkins.

According to the Watergate journalist, Miss Jenkins was spirited into the governor's mansion for a final, furtive meeting with him the day he left to claim the White House.

Miss Jenkins is said to have played such a "pivotal role" in Mr Clinton's life that in 1989 he offered to divorce Hillary to be with her.

The ensuing crisis apparently led to Betsey Wright, Mr Clinton's chief of staff, taking him to see a therapist.

Mrs Clinton later told her best friend Diane Blair that she believed the presidency would help her marriage because her husband's "sexual compulsions would be tempered by the White House and the ever-present press corps".

As Mr Bernstein makes clear, in light of the Monica Lewinsky scandal that turned out to be "a flawed assumption".

In the 640-page book, Bob Boorstin, who worked for Mrs Clinton when she was trying to restructure the nation's healthcare system, blamed her for the collapse of her own plans.

"I find her to be among the most self-righteous people I've ever known," he told Mr Bernstein. "It's her great flaw."

Mark Fabiani, who defended the Clintons as White House counsel, said Hillary was "so tortured by the way she's been treated that she would do anything to get out of the situation.

"If that involved not being fully forthcoming, Mr Fabiani said she would say: 'I have a reason for not being forthcoming.'"

The second book, Her Way by New York Times reporters Jeff Gerth and Don Van Natta Jr, claims that Mrs Clinton hired a private detective to investigate one of her husband's mistresses.

According to the book, she ordered the detective to undermine Gennifer Flowers "until she is destroyed".

The incident took place when Mr Clinton was running for president in 1992.

Her Way looks in detail at Mrs Clinton's Senate vote in support of the Iraq war, suggesting she may have been motivated by a desire not to abandon her husband's toughon-Iraq policy and a need "to prove that she was tough".

Both books were leaked to the Washington Post yesterday ahead of publication next month.

The Post said Mrs Clinton emerges as a "complicated, sometimes compromised figure who tolerated Bill Clinton's brazen infidelity, pursued her policy and political goals with methodical drive".

The New York Senator, it said, had "occasionally skirted along the edge of the truth along the way" to power.

It said the books posed "a number of assertions and anecdotes that could confront her campaign with unwelcome questions".

Last night political analysts said the books would damage Mrs Clinton in the eyes of some voters. They added, however, that most would find little to surprise them in the allegations.

One of the most unsettling charges in Her Way is that the Clintons made a "secret plan" when they were in Arkansas in which they would each have two terms as president.

The authors said that even before the pair married, they formulated a "secret pact of ambition" aimed at the White House.

Mr Bernstein said that both Clintons went to great lengths to "keep the lid on his infidelities".

On one occasion Hillary personally interviewed one of her husband's lovers and helped persuade her to sign a statement saying she had never had sex with him.

Mrs Clinton's Senate office dismissed the books as offering no new material.

Her spokesman Philippe Reines told the Washington Post: "Is it possible to be quoted yawning? If past books on Mrs Clinton were cash for trash, these books are nothing more than cash for rehash."

Her campaign spokesman, Howard Wolfson, told the paper: "The news here is that it took three reporters nearly a decade to find no news.

"Two overwhelming Senate victories in the toughest media market in the country demonstrated that voters have put these issues behind them."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=457708&in_page_id=1811

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 11:02:15 PM »

Never, ever underestimate Hillary or Bill. I fully believe the Clintons are brilliant enough to have long plotted a two-decade path for both of them to the White House. That is not illegal.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 11:12:15 PM »

Plus ....

I always have admired their approach to solving problems. They do not accuse and say whose fault it was. They say, "Ok, this is where we are now and how do we get back on track?" Forget the past, it's gone. Focus on the present.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 11:35:42 PM »

Louise,

No offense at all but you and I will have to agree to disagree about the Clintons. I have no respect for their manipulative and at times criminal behavior, past or present. Their egos exceed their judgment, they are just good at escaping accountability. The merry thieves will never have my vote.

As a female and a professional, I resent Hillary's charge to the top by hook or crook.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 08:43:50 AM »

Louise,

I did want to clarify my post for you. I realize it's not illegal to plot a career move for a two term president. What I do think that exemplifies is less of that servant leader mumbojumbo Bill and Hillary have both advanced as their drive for leadership, and more of their own blind ambition. According to the book they were plotting this path shortly post law school? This concerns me greatly for it's a clear indicator that by age 25 they thought so very much of themselves? Having had no real experience base yet in politics? I find it ridiculously disturbing.

As for the past I can't shake Hillary with that earnest look discussing the Flowers incident acting as if she were so shocked by it, or later with the Lewinsky incident and playing upon our sympathies with her "I nearly left him and it destroyed me" lies. She knew and she knew clearly long before this.

Character does matter to me, I can't excuse past character demonstrated in the past and now it's in writing and appears both books from two different authors that Hillary's character is just as poor as Bill's. What mattered most to them is the ambition, not truth nor personal responsibility.

We don't need another liar as our president.

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 12:21:24 PM »

You are right, Louise, we must never underestimate Bill & Hillary, for to do so is like underestimating the power of Satan, for those two both long ago sold their souls to the devil for power.  That was not illegal.  

What is and was illegal, however, was what they did to achieve that goal.  

I was going to write a volume about the illegal acts by the Clintons and their mendacity to blame it on others, but chose not to, because I suspect everyone knows the reason we are feeding our dogs melamine-laced Chinese food now and the reason China has our technology, the reason Vince Foster died, Ron Brown, and a list of witnesses who were to testify against these vultures, but it tires me to even think about it.  No, Bill is not Satan, but he bought a license to marry Satan.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 08:06:57 PM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Plus ....

I always have admired their approach to solving problems. They do not accuse and say whose fault it was. They say, "Ok, this is where we are now and how do we get back on track?" Forget the past, it's gone. Focus on the present.

with all due respect LV, I have to disagree... it was the Clintons that blamed everything on "a vicious right wing conspiracy".... they absolutely do not forgive and forget... they usually make the problems disappear Shocked

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 09:22:47 PM »

Nonesy and Tyler,

I have never heard that the Clintons were plotting this path to power (four years in the White House for each) shortly post law school at around age 25. That would be 1971 for Bill. For Hillary, that would be 1972. I never heard it before.

Bill graduated from Georgetown and in 1968 won a Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford University (1968-1970) where he studied government. A Rhodes Scholarship is a very big deal. Approximately 90 Scholars are selected worldwide each year out of thousands of applicants.

Bill is brilliant. A brilliant man chooses a brilliant mate. There was no reason for them *not* to think highly of themselves. It's called self esteem and they both have a lot of it.

But no matter how brilliant they are, could they really plot this path starting all those years ago and get this far without experience and assistance?

Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 12:00:23 AM »

As you all know I generally avoid posting in the political forum because we are all so passionate in our opinions.

I personally have no problem with there grand plan early on to try to seek the presidency for both of them. We teach our children they can become anything they want if they desire it bad enough. So there are children who grow up wanting to be President. Nothing wrong there.

We also know a large percentage of our Presidents have had extramarital affairs. I would ordinarily say it is none of our business. My problem with Hillary has always been her making the statement to Barbara Walters that she was not a little stand by your man female. I believe she already knew about Bills' infidelitys and chose to ignore them. That is fine if she did not have a problem with it but do not try to make out she believes him and the rest of the world is crazy for suggesting he has these other women on the side.

Do I think she would make a good President? No. I think she is intelligent but maybe no common sense.

JMHO

Just a swinging with the tribe
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 09:06:37 AM »

Sam,

I skipped the second grade and was valedictorian of my class but I see a huge difference between hoping to be president and this couple plotting to occupy and control the presidency for a period of four terms at that young age very indicative of negative traits. How many times have we had to listen to Hillary moan about how they wanted to serve, how Bill wanted to give back, yada yada yada more of her lies.

Mrs Red is right, the Clintons know and have alliances with some very bad people on this planet. I just realized last night that perhaps some of those people are tiring of the Clinton's? We see some in Hollywood tossing Hillary over for Obama, Boards holding their CEO's responsible for excessive gifts to the Clinton's, and two books that expose Hillary's lack of integrity and character.

Hallelujah, bad thing is Hillary when you lie down with dogs ya never know
when they might just turn on you  Laughing

Louise-

Post my father's death and a host of complex issues that arose, I found a new attorney for her. He's a former Rhodes and Morehead scholar too, grad of Harvard Law as well. He's one of the most intelligent, humane, and also respected men I know. Very successful too, a leader. He also never had to make time for my mother or those issues.........we are but a speck on life's planet.

It's like all things, intelligence can be used for good or for harm, Bill and Hillary chose greed and ego.

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 10:14:33 AM »

Adolph Hitler was no less brilliant than Bill Clinton and he didn't need a stinking woman to make him so.  Yes, I thought that might enlighten this conversation.  

Adolph Hitler was a vegetarian, he was a globalist, he feared global weather conditions, he was no less brilliant than Bill.  In fact, Karl Marx is Hillary's favorite author.  

Hillary coerced under duress and out of fear for their lives, women to sign documents saying they had no sexual relationship with Bill Clinton and when Jennifer Flowers would not, she told her Hollywood detective who is now serving prison time for lesser crimes, to destroy her with whatever means it took, destroy them all.  What a gal.  She is probably someone you admire, Louise, but not me.  I don't need to destroy people to know my own worth.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 11:22:53 PM »

Tyler,

Okay. After you mentioned Hitler/Clinton and Hillary/Marx, and all their deeds, I'd sure like to know why you resorted to a personal attack on me. "She is probably someone you admire, Louise." I did not attack you, Tylergal. What's up with you?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.