March 29, 2024, 05:47:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Singer Amy Winehouse Dead at Age 27 1983 - 2011  (Read 8901 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: July 23, 2011, 01:44:28 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/23/ap/entertainment/main20082485.shtml
Police: Singer Amy Winehouse dies at age 27
July 23, 2011

AP)  LONDON — Amy Winehouse, the beehived soul-jazz diva whose self-destructive habits overshadowed a distinctive musical talent, was found dead Saturday in her London home, police said. She was 27.
 ::snipping2::
Police confirmed that a 27-year-old female was pronounced dead at the home in Camden Square northern London; the cause of death was not immediately known. London Ambulance Services said Winehouse had died before the two ambulance crews it sent arrived at the scene.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
pharlap
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 02:38:40 PM »

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/15135010/police-singer-amy-winehouse-dies

By JILL LAWLESS and SYLVIA HUI
Associated Press
LONDON (AP) - Amy Winehouse, the beehived soul-jazz diva whose self-destructive habits overshadowed a distinctive musical talent, was found dead Saturday in her London home, police said. She was 27.

Winehouse shot to fame in 2006 with the album "Back to Black," whose blend of jazz, soul, rock and classic pop was a global hit. It won five Grammys and made Winehouse - with her black beehive hairdo and old-fashioned sailor tattoos - one of music's most recognizable stars. But her personal life, with its drug and alcohol abuse, eating disorders and destructive relationships, soon took over her career.

Police confirmed that a 27-year-old female was pronounced dead at the home in Camden Square northern London; the cause of death was not immediately known. London Ambulance Services said Winehouse had died before the two ambulance crews it sent arrived at the scene.

I'm merging this thread with one already existing in " Pop Culture - Music" Sub Forum. Muffy

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=11715.0
Singer Amy Winehouse Dead at Age 27 1983 - 2011
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 03:06:52 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

CA = Albatross     Oh no "the fog"           
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/amy-winehouse-dead-classic-rockers-react-twitter/
Amy Winehouse Dead: Classic Rockers React on Twitter
July 23, 2011

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Wildingheart
Scared Monkey

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 05:54:08 AM »

Winehouse is another one for "The 27 Club", a long list of mostly musicians to die at age 27.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club

My Blog: http://moonsmuse.blogspot.com/

"If we don't stand up for children, then we don't stand for much." ~Marian Wright Edelman.

"I'd rather sit alone on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion." ~Henry David Thoreau.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 12:33:11 PM »

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43881464/ns/today-entertainment/
Coroner: Winehouse death not suspicious
July 25, 2011

A coroner's official in London says there are no suspicious circumstances in the death of singer Amy Winehouse.

Coroner's officer Sharon Duff told reporters Monday that "the scene was investigated by police and determined non-suspicious."

Winehouse was found dead in her bed on July 23. Details about the death are still emerging. An autopsy is scheduled to be performed Monday, with results to be announced later Monday or Tuesday.

The singer's family formally identified her body Monday and visited mourners outside her London home to thank them for their support. A private family service could be held as early as Tuesday, the Associated Press reports.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/tests-no-illegal-drugs-in-amy-winehouse-death/2011/08/23/gIQADuHfZJ_video.html
Tests: No illegal drugs in Amy Winehouse death
August 23, 2011

Video at Link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 07:30:42 PM »

http://music-mix.ew.com/2011/08/23/amy-winehouse-tribute-2011-mtv-vmas/
VMAs tribute to Amy Winehouse to feature Tony Bennett, more
August 23, 2011

Image Credit: Dave M. Benett/Getty Images

As expected, the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards will feature a tribute to late British chanteuse Amy Winehouse.

The legendary Tony Bennett, whose duet with Winehouse on “Body and Soul“—the last recording made before her death—appears on his upcoming Duets II, will have the honor of introducing the tribute.

A statement from MTV reveals that the tribute will also debut film of their spring recording session together at Abbey Road Studios in London.

The single and video will be released for purchase by Columbia Records Sept. 14,  which would have been Amy’s 28th birthday. Proceeds will support the Amy Winehouse Foundation established by the late singer’s family.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 11:14:48 AM »

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2011/09/amy-winehouse-died-after-detox-seizure-dad-says/1
Amy Winehouse died after detox seizure, dad says
September 10, 2011

Trying to detox from alcohol, Amy Winehouse may have overdosed on a powerful anti-anxiety drug and suffered a seizure, says her father, Mitch Winehouse, adding fresh detail to the picture of the tragic end of a talented, short life.

Speaking in his first interview since the British neo-soul singer was found dead in her bed in London on July 23, Mitch Winehouse told CNN newsman-turned-talk-show host Anderson Cooper that traces of the prescription drug Librium, which also is used to treat withdrawal symptoms during detox from alcoholism, were found in his daughter's body.

"Everything Amy did, she did to excess," Winehouse said during the taping of Cooper's new show, Anderson, debuting Monday. "She drank to excess and did detox to excess."

He said shortly before her death she had seizures brought on by alcohol withdrawal but had been improving. "The periods of abstinence were becoming longer, and the periods of drinking were becoming shorter," he said, dabbing tears during video clips of his daughter, the Associated Press reported.

Winehouse acknowledged he was speculating about what had happened; the full picture won't emerge until after the official inquest into her death, set to begin next month in London. Amy Winehouse had suffered from drug and alcohol addictions for years.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 01:09:06 PM »

TY Muffy...I was just reading about this. I was hardly a fan, but she was wayyy to young to die.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »

TY Muffy...I was just reading about this. I was hardly a fan, but she was wayyy to young to die.

I wasn't a fan either Nut, but I agree with you in that she was way to young to die. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 09:49:19 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/story/2011-10-26/amy-winehouse-pathologist/50927104/1
Coroner: Amy Winehouse died after drinking too much alcohol
October 25, 2011

LONDON – A coroner says Amy Winehouse died as the unintended consequence of drinking too much alcohol.
Coroner Suzanne Greenaway gave a verdict of "death by misadventure," saying the singer had voluntarily consumed alcohol and risked the consequences.
A pathologist told the singer's inquest Wednesday that Winehouse had consumed a "very large quantity of alcohol" and was more than five times over the legal drunk-driving limit when she died.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 09:25:06 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/arts/music/from-amy-winehouses-archives-lioness-new-music.html
Chipper Remnants of a Life Turned Sour
By JON PARELES, JON CARAMANICA and NATE CHINEN
December 5, 2011

She didn’t leave much behind. That’s the inescapable fact of Amy Winehouse‘s posthumous collection, “Lioness: Hidden Treasures.”
The album’s 12 songs are the leftovers from a singer and songwriter who was promising on her 2003 debut album, “Frank”; fully herself and even more promising on her 2006 album, “Back to Black”; and then a long, sad story until her death from alcohol poisoning this year. The transformation from the confident, sly, sweet-and-sour-voiced 18-year-old in 2002 to the scratchy, ravaged latter-day star is the album’s back story, even as the music stays chipper.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 09:56:16 AM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1206/27/ijvm.01.html
JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL
Hitman for Hire Caught on Tape; New Accusation against George Zimmerman; JVM Most Wanted: Help Find a Killer; Remembering Amy Winehouse
Aired June 27, 2012 - 19:00   ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.
And tonight I`ll go one-on-one with the father of the late Amy Winehouse, the gifted "Rehab" singer whose life was shattered by addiction. Her father, Mitch Winehouse, opens up about the tragic series of events leading up to Amy`s untimely death.
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

AMY WINEHOUSE, SINGER: I don`t really care enough what people think of me to conform to anything.

MITCH WINEHOUSE, FATHER OF Amy WINEHOUSE: We`re devastated -- I`ve been banging on for the last three years about the fact she hadn`t taken any drugs for three years. Well, alcohol is a different issue. How do you control somebody else`s addictions?

I think she was a strong young lady that had a weakness.

AMY WINEHOUSE: Although I guess it`s a weakness, isn`t it? A weakness.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Tonight, a superstar`s life cut short. Now singer Amy Winehouse`s father is courageously opening up about the death of his beloved and supremely talented daughter.

The soulful singer and six-time Grammy winner, Amy Winehouse, tragically died of accidental alcohol poisoning at the young age of 27. Fans converged on her London home to grieve for the woman who wowed the whole world with super hits like "Back to Black" from Island Records.

(MUSIC)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Amy`s father`s got a must-read new book called "Amy, My Daughter" and I urge everyone who`s a parent to check this out. Joining me now I`m very privileged to have with me onset the man who was so close to Amy that she had "daddy`s girl" tattooed on her arm to honor her father, Mitch Winehouse. Thank you so much.
Your book -- extraordinary. I`m in the process of reading it. First of all, I would like to say that I admire you for your ability to be so brave and to talk about not only her achievements, but her struggles particularly with hard drugs. What would you say to parents who might be in the same situation that you were in? What advice, what can we learn from this tragedy?

M. WINEHOUSE: That`s a very good question, Jane. I`m not sure because I`m not qualified to give any advice. And the thing is we sought the best advice that we could get in the UK. I sat with six of the most eminent clinical psychologists in the UK and in fact they were arguing in front of me about what we should do.

So, really, if they couldn`t give me -- I mean, the thing is you`ve got to follow your heart. You really have to follow your heart. Some will say tough love. Some say soft love. And somewhere in the middle you will find the correct approach -- the approach that`s right for your daughter and right for your family.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: As long as the word love is in there somewhere, I suppose that`s the main point.

M. WINEHOUSE: That`s exactly right.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Of course a song that really made Amy a superstar is "Rehab" from Republic Records.

(MUSIC)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: If you listen to those lyrics closely, you hear Amy singing "my daddy thinks I`m fine", but Mitch, there was a moment where you describe -- actually, it`s on page 86 that a doctor tells you Amy had, quote, "just taken drugs, probably crack cocaine" and you go on to say "Words cannot describe the depths to which I plummeted. I had to sit down before I fell. This was a bombshell. Amy had always been dead against hard drugs. Why had that changed?"

So why had that changed? Was her meteoric rise to superstardom part of it? Because that often is.

M. Winehouse: No, I don`t think so. I think it was partly to do with my mother`s passing, May 2006. And she was most vulnerable. She was -- as we all were, but she was extra devastated, so close to my mom. And at that point, Blake, her future husband, re-emerged. And Blake with a woman who was vulnerable, that is not a good mix. That can only end one way, and that`s disaster.

And he took the blame. He said that he introduced Amy to Class A drugs. "She took to it like a duck to water. Great words to say about your wife." That`s what he said -- quotes. So whether she would have found her another way to Class A drugs or not, I can`t say. But he stood up and said he is responsible for that.

He`s certainly not responsible for her death. But he is responsible for introducing her to Class A drugs.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And ironically we tried to reach him to get comment because you made these comments in the book.
M. WINEHOUSE: Difficult. He`s in prison.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: He`s in prison so we couldn`t reach him.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: We asked you for fun pictures and videos of your pets and we got some great ones. Send us more, hlntv.com.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

M. WINEHOUSE: She had been on drugs for three years or nigh on three years and the last six weeks of her life, it was two weeks of sobriety, one day of drinking and then three weeks of sobriety and then finally the last two days where she drank a lot of alcohol. But that`s a typical pattern of someone who`s moving towards sobriety. And we were all very, very hopeful.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: That was Mr. Winehouse yesterday on "Good Morning America". And Mitch Winehouse is here tonight with me. His astounding book is called "Amy, My Daughter" and every parent should read this because it`s really incredible honest.

Now, I have to say I`m a recovering alcoholic with 17 years of sobriety. And I just feel we`re both on the same page, we`re just trying to understand addiction and how to work with it and deal with it. You say that she was sort of -- she had gotten off drugs, but she was drinking alcohol occasionally.

A lot of experts say either you`re sober or you are not. I happen to agree with that. And there`s no managing your addiction, that that is really a prescription for disaster. What are your thoughts about that?

M. WINEHOUSE: Well, I agree. But the fact is she did stop taking drugs three years ago and she was moving towards sobriety. She said to me around about April time 2011, "It`s going to be the same as the drugs, dad. It`s going to take me a while." And the last six weeks of her life, five and a half of them were spent sober. She didn`t drink at all. But the last two days, she drank an inordinate amount of alcohol.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And that`s, of course, why she got the alcohol poisoning.

M. WINEHOUSE: Yes. But that was -- she was -- that`s the typical pattern of somebody moving into sobriety.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: But there are those who say you can`t manage it this way. In other words, they talk about we thought we could find an easier, softer way but we could not. We stood at the turning point and we had to let go with complete abandon.

M. Winehouse. Well, I agree. Yes.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I mean was there a reason very briefly why she chose that path?

M. WINEHOUSE: Which path, you mean to drink?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: No, just like gradual?
M. WINEHOUSE: It was easier for her. And it worked with the drugs. And it was beginning to work with the alcohol. I agree with you if you`re going to be abstinent, you just stop. But she wasn`t at that point where she was ready to just stop. She was with the drugs, but she wasn`t with the alcohol. That`s the bottom line.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, I want to thank you so much. You`re extraordinary, your daughter was extraordinary. The world will always love her music.

M. WINEHOUSE: Thank you Jane. I appreciate it.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.