March 28, 2024, 02:20:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recipes That Need to be Shared  (Read 60721 times)
crazybabyborg
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2007, 02:02:58 AM »

Yum Tibro - my Mom used to make that onion bake, just like your recipe, and it is delicious. Of course, when I was a kid in the 60's no one cared about calories.

So true pdh3 - calorie counting is just another stress of modern day living  Laughing

I must confess that most of the recipes I post here come from an American cookbook a penfriend (remember those?) sent me many years ago.  I use it for here as then I know you will all understand the ingredients and I use it myself as it is still in cups and spoons for measurements, which I prefer over the metric measures we are expected to use here now.   Book is "America Cooks" by General Federation of Womens Clubs and all the recipes have been submitted by their members from all over the US. They say there are over 3500 recipes over 740 pages and index takes up another 50 + pages.  Book is still in very good condition, just shows a little darkening in the colour of the pages.  Paper jacket is a bit tatty though but it has served me well.

Is this the book, Tibro? I'd like to order it, but want to be sure it's the right one.  Wink
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2007, 02:06:14 AM »

Yes, cbb that is the exact one.  Same Editor.  First published 1967.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
sandy leiva
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2008, 05:53:33 PM »

zuccini bread

1 cup oil
1 cup sugar
2 cups ground zuccini
1 tsp pure vanilla
3 eggs

2 cups flour
1tsp backing soda
sandy leiva
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2008, 06:06:05 PM »

Sandys Zuccini Bread

1 cup oil
1cup sugar
2 cups ground zuccini
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
2 tblspoons cinamon
handful of chopped walnuts

1 cup pineapple cut in small chunks (optional)

mix ist 5 ingredients

mix dry ingredients after sifting together

combine wet and dry ingredients , add pineapples and mix well
pour into greased and floured breadpans  (makes 2)
bake at 325 for 1 hour  center of tooth pic comes out clean. 

and enjoy with a nice cup of mexican cofee.

Mexican cofee

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetend cocoa
2 tsp cinnamon
1 pot cofee
stir in brown sugar cocoa and cinnamon into the whole pot of cofee and top with whipped cream.  mmmmmm yummmy......
jaggard19
Scared Monkey

« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2008, 12:13:05 AM »

For those who have better things to do than cook all day long, here is a really wonderful pot roast that you will not believe how tender and how delicious it is!

PEPSI POT ROAST:

3-4 pound pot roast
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 envelope Lipton's beefy onion soup mix
1 can of Pepsi (not diet) (12 oz. size)

Spray the inside of the crockpot with PAM (or use a liner, easier for clean up), place pot roast in the crockpot, spread cream of mushroom soup over pot roast (do not add water or milk to soup, just use it right out of the can), sprinkle soup mix, and then pour Pepsi over that.  Set crockpot for 6 to 8 hours (medium heat, or low heat) or 4 - 6 hours high heat, and walk away until time for dinner.

KnayKnay
Monkey Junky

The Good Witch!

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2008, 12:08:48 AM »

Okay yall - cooking is my FAVORITE think in the world to do. I have cooked for over 30 years now! (Ouch!)
I own a business that amongst Small Business Administration, we also do Corporate Event Planning and I can Cater at private houses. I also hold at home - cooking lesson parties. So - wow this will be a treat for me to *steal* some ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have some fabulous recipes but don't know where to start.

Caramel Apple Cheesecake
Cherry Chocolate Banana Bread
Campfire Pizza
Gravy Stew with Biscuit dumplings
Porcupines

I could go on and on all night. I guess I'll have to pick one or two and post them. Can't WAIT to read everyone elses either.

Hopefully someday soon baby Caylee will have some peace!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2008, 12:58:24 AM »

I have some fabulous recipes but don't know where to start.

Caramel Apple Cheesecake
Cherry Chocolate Banana Bread
Campfire Pizza
Gravy Stew with Biscuit dumplings
Porcupines

I could go on and on all night. I guess I'll have to pick one or two and post them. Can't WAIT to read everyone elses either.

KnayKnay ~  Why only pick one or two?  Just start at the top of your list and work down.  Pleeeeeeaaasseee?  They all look so good, would you mind sharing them?   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
sandy leiva
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2008, 05:32:54 PM »

golden mahimahi fish

2 lbs mahimahi fishfillets skinned and boned
2 tsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp salt
1 pinch ground pepper

1 1lb can whole tomatoes
2small oninos sliced and cut in halves
2 garlic cloves crushed
12 piemento stuffed olives
1 tblsp small capers
2 tblsp extra virgen olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup dry white wine

place fillets in 13x9 glass baking dish
pour lime juice over fish and spinkle with salt n pepper
add all other ingredients mixed in wine  and pour over fish

bake 30 min at 350 degrees 
Tater
Monkey Junky

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2008, 09:37:24 AM »

Meat,Sausage and Cabbage Soup

1 pound of lean ground beef
1 pound rolled sausage-mild,hot,your choice-hint-sage is not good in this recipe.
1 pound rope sausage-your choice, I use Kielbasa.Sliced.
1 medium sized head of cabbage.
2 large cans of tomato sauce
1 medium can of tomato paste
You may also use spagetti sauce if you prefer.
Water
 Lot's of fresh garlic chopped- use the amount you desire. I use many cloves.
1 big onion chopped.
 Salt and pepper to taste.

Brown all the meat, onions and garlic together-drain very well.Add all the sauce.Add some water to get desired texture.Use a big pot,a big one.Leave enough room to add your shredded cabbage towards the end filling the pot.The liquid should have a soup texture,not a stew texture. When the cabbage is cooked soft the soup is done.

This makes alot but is wonderful to freeze and use as wanted.I usually feed four at first and then put several containers in the freezer for later use.It's inexpensive and very yummy..Smile

Proverbs 3:5
  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart;
         and lean not unto thine own understanding.
mamacrazy30
Monkey Junky

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2009, 01:38:15 PM »

Louise - this is the only one I can find that uses small white onions.  Have a couple of other recipes but they use sliced onions.

BAKED ONIONS

24 small white onions
3 cups fresh bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
Quarter teaspoon pepper
Half cup Butter
2 cups milk

Preheat oven to 350 deg F. 
Grease 2 quart casserole
Cook onions in boiling salted water for 10 minutes; drain
Mix crumbs with salt and pepper
Arrange about one third of the onions in the casserole; sprinkle with 1 cup of the breadcrumbs.  Dot with one third of the butter.
Repeat layers until all the ingredients have been used, finishing with crumbs dotted with butter.
Pour milk over all.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.

Note: The cook books I still use are old and well tested but do not list any calories.

thehehehe
i always called it eye-ball bake....very yummy but i have to use large sliced onion  Monkey Devil! an angelic monkey

OMG  thats soooo Anthony.  (credits to miss Mae)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2009, 01:30:19 PM »

I want to share this recipe that I tried for the first time.  It is in the fridge setting up but we licked the bowl to the last bit.

Peanut ButterCup Pie

1-1/4 cups Oreo Baking Crumbs
1/4 cup  butter, melted
1 pkg. (250 g) Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup  plus 1 Tbsp.  Smooth Peanut Butter, divided
1 cup cold milk
1 pkg.  (4-serving size) Vanilla Instant Pudding
2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, divided
3 squares  BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate

Mix crumbs and butter and  press onto bottom and up side of 9-inch pie plate. Beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup peanut butter until well blended. Add milk and dry pudding mix and beat 2 min. Whisk in 1 cup Cool Whip by hand and  spoon into crust. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Microwave remaining Cool Whip and chocolate in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1-1/2 to 2 min. or until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring after each minute. Cool completely.

Spread chocolate mixture over filling in crust. Microwave remaining peanut butter in small microwaveable bowl 30 sec.; stir. Drizzle over pie. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2009, 03:06:54 PM »

I'm posting this here but have posted elsewhere, too! It's a great dish and makes enough for a crowd!

Fruit Dessert Salad

Layer 1
1 Box Lemon Jello
1 Box Orange Jello
3 Bananas
1 Lg Can Crushed Pineapple Drained (save juice)
1 Small Can pineapple juice
2 C Hot water
1 ½ C Cold Water
1 pkg. minature marshmallows

Layer 2
2 eggs
5 Tblsp flour
1 C Sugar

Layer 3
2 Pkg Dream Whip
1 8 oz. pkg. Cream Cheese (softened)
1 3 oz. pkg. Cream Cheese (softened)
1 C. milk

Coconut ( for sprinkling on top ) Maraschino Cherries for top (optional)

Step One/Layer One:
Combine jello(s) in large (10x14) casserole and dissolve with water. Pour drained pineapple into it. Slice bananas on top, and top bananas with marshmallows. Refrigerate to set.

Step Two/Layer Two:
Combine pineapple juice from drained pineapple with additional juice to equal 2 cups. Combine juice, sugar, flour and eggs in saucepan and cook over medium heat until thick. Cool and spread over set layer one, (on top of marshmallows).

Step Three/Layer three:
Mix Dream Whip and milk. Add cream cheese and mix with electric mixer until whipped. Spread on top of layer two.

Generously sprinkle shredded coconut as final layer. Place cherries (optional)

* You can make the first layer and finish the dish the following day. Be sure to use a large dish as this makes enough to serve a lot of people! Enjoy!
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2009, 05:25:04 PM »

Peanutbutter and Chocolate pie

1-1/4 cups Oreo Baking Crumbs
1/4 cup  butter, melted
1 pkg. (250 g) Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup  plus 1 Tbsp.  Smooth Peanut Butter, divided
1 cup cold milk
1 pkg.  (4-serving size) Vanilla Instant Pudding
2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, divided
3 squares  BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate

Mix crumbs and butter and  press onto bottom and up side of 9-inch pie plate. Beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup peanut butter until well blended. Add milk and dry pudding mix and beat 2 min. Whisk in 1 cup Cool Whip by hand and  spoon into crust. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Microwave remaining Cool Whip and chocolate in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1-1/2 to 2 min. or until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring after each minute. Cool completely.

Spread chocolate mixture over filling in crust. Microwave remaining peanut butter in small microwaveable bowl 30 sec.; stir. Drizzle over pie. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2009, 05:30:38 PM »

Oreo Cheesecake Bar Thingy

45 OREO Cookies, divided
1/4 cup  butter melted
3 pkg. (250 g each)  Brick Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup  sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups  thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping

line 13x9-inch pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides. Coarsely chop 15 cookies set aside. Finely crush remaining cookies and mix with melted butter. Press onto bottom of prepared pan. Refrigerate while preparing filling.

Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in large bowl with mixer until well blended. Whisk in Cool Whip and chopped cookies. Spoon over crust.

Refrigerate 4 hours or until set.

*****I make this in a 9x9 pan and a loaf pan so they are taller rather than using the 13x9 pan.  I also put these in the freezer rather than the fridge until they are needed and then take them out and they are so good!
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2009, 05:31:28 PM »

If you want a crazy simple recipe to make try these home made turtles.

Get a bag if the small salted pretzels (not the straight ones) and either Rolo Caramel chocolates or a bag of dove caramel chocolate.

Line a cookie sheet with baking paper, and heat over to 350.  put pretzels in a single layer on the cookie sheet and put one of the chocolate carmels in the middle of each pretzel.  Bake 3-5 minutes until the chocolates begin to soften but not melt - you have to watch these as they bake.  If they melt totally the caramel comes out everywhere.  Top with a pecan half while still warm and let cool.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2009, 05:32:52 PM »

A fast and simple recipe kids can do

cover a cookie sheet with tin foil.  Place a single layer of square salteen crackers (I use Kraft Premium Plus with salt) on the sheet to cover the whole sheet. You may have to creak some of the crackers in half to cover the sheet.  In a saucepan melt  1 cup butter and 1 cup brown sugar until it boils.  boil for 3 mins.  Pour over crackers.  Bake this for 7 min in a 400 degree oven.  Once out of oven immediately sprinkle a bag of semi Sweet chocolate chips on top of crackers.  Let stand so chocolate melts (about 4-5mins) and spread chocolate with a knife over the crackers.  Now sprinkle either chopped nuts, cookie sprinkles, anything like that on top.  Let cool and break into pieces.

You can mix this recipe up by using butterscotch chips and toppings, or white chocolate chips. 
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2009, 06:00:45 PM »

Toffee Buttercrunch

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 TBSP water
1 TBSP light corn syrup
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or almonds
3/4 cup semi sweet or milk chocolate pieces
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or almonds

Butter the side of a heavy 2 quart saucepan. Put candy thermometer in saucepan. In it melt butter.  Add sugar, water and corn syrup.  Cook over medium heat until your candy thermometer in the pot reads 290 degrees (soft crack stage) stirring frequently (mixture gently boils over entire surface).  Watch carefully after the thermometer reads 280 degrees.  Remove from heat and quickly stir in the 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts.  Immediately turn onto a greased cookie sheet.  Wait for 2-3 minutes for surface to firm then sprinkle with chocolate pieces.  Let stand for 1 - 2 minutes or until chocolate had softened then spread the chocolate over the toffee and sprinkle with the 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts.  Chill till firm then break into pieces.  Makes about 1.5 pounds of toffee.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2009, 09:11:11 PM »

does anyone have a recipe and some tips for making Swedish pancakes? would love to be able to make them...thanks!

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2009, 04:07:53 PM »

Yum Tibro - my Mom used to make that onion bake, just like your recipe, and it is delicious. Of course, when I was a kid in the 60's no one cared about calories.

Hi pdh3,

No one cared about calories in the 60's, because, everyone had at least one Moo-Moo dress. (LOL) bring back the Moo-Moo.
I remember those day's full of cream cheese and jello desserts, every tried to keep up with Jack La Lanne but it was not an obsession like today.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2009, 08:07:29 PM »

Bacon Cornbread

6 Slices bacon roughly chopped
2c yellow cornmeal
1 c flour
3 TBSP sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 c milk
1c cheese (cheddar or Monterey jack)

In a cast iron skillet fry bacon chunks.  fry until crisp, remove from pan.  Reserve remaining bacon grease.  In a bowl mix all dry ingredients.  In another bowl mix milk and eggs.  Pour wet into dry bowl and mix with a wooden spoon.  Add bacon into batter (this is where I also added pepper flakes and chives)  Brush the cast iron pan with bacon grease.  Pour in batter and bake for 25 min at 375.  Remove from oven, sprinkle cheese on top, put under broiler until cheese is melted.  Serve.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.