March 28, 2024, 10:01:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recipes That Need to be Shared  (Read 60718 times)
Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2009, 01:12:56 PM »

This recipe is wonderful with ham (I usually have Honey-Baked Ham for Christmas dinner).  The recipe only gets better day-after-day. 

Marinated Beans and Peas

1 – Can LeSeur French-style green beans
1 – Can LeSeur peas

Drain; cover with 1 Tablespoon salt.
Refrigerate overnight.  Drain.

1 – Cup chopped celery
2 – Ounces chopped pimento
1 – Medium onion, finely chopped
1 – Medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 – Cup white vinegar
¼ - Cup Canola oil
1-1/4 – Cup sugar

Mix together sugar, oil and vinegar. 
Stir until sugar dissolves.
Add in chopped ingredients. 
Add in beans and peas.
Refrigerate overnight.

Puzzler - that which puzzles or perplexes; anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable or secret.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2009, 01:46:43 PM »

This recipe is wonderful with ham (I usually have Honey-Baked Ham for Christmas dinner).  The recipe only gets better day-after-day. 

Marinated Beans and Peas

1 – Can LeSeur peas

1 – Cup chopped celery
1 – Cup white vinegar
¼ - Cup Canola oil
1-1/4 – Cup sugar

Add in beans and peas.
Refrigerate overnight.

Thanks, Puzzler! I'm going to try it! I'll be substituting red or yellow bell pepper for the green, so I'll let you know how it turns out! Green Pepper is one of the few veggies that my crew doesn't care for, but my bet is it will still be really good!   
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2009, 12:33:20 AM »

Stew

2lbs beef cubed
3 tbsp olive oil
4 cubes beef bullion
4 cups water
4 carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
4 stalks celery cut into 1 inch pieces
3 large potatoes washed and cubed into 1 inch pieces
1 large onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
1 bay leaf

2 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp cold water

1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper

In a large ziplock bag put in flour , salt pepper and beef and shake.  In a large skillet heat oil and put coated beef in and brown.  Add onions to soften then pour beef and onion into slow cooker.  Add bullion cubes and 2 cups of the water to skillet and stir to loosen all the bits at the bottom and dissolve bullion.  Pour into slow cooker.  Add, other 2 cups water and vegetables, garlic, bayleaf and parsley to slow cooker and put lid on and cook on low for 6 hours.  In a small cup put the 2 tsp water and add 2 tsp cornstarch.  Stir till not lumpy then stir this into crock pot.  Cook uncovered for 15 minutes or until it has boiled for at least 5 minutes.  Serve.

Goes well with Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups flour
2 tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
3/4 cup buttermilk

In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the cheese and toss. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
Turn onto a lightly floured surfaceand knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll to 1 in. thickness. Cut with a glass that Ash been dipped in flour (about 2-1/2-in). Place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. 

While baking put 1/4 cup butter in the microwave to melt. I added 1/2 tsp of garlic powder, 1/8 tsp of garlic salt to the melted butter. Brush on biscuits when they are hot.

Serve warm.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2009, 02:09:27 PM »

thanks for the beef stew recipe...sounds good...one that I will try..

I made CBB's fruit salad for Christmas and also Monken's orange slice cake recipe..both were very good!

I still am going to make the oreo cheese cake dessert...maybe for New Years...then it is diet time before our cruise in January!

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2009, 11:20:22 PM »

Crockpot Pulled Pork

2 1/2 pork shoulder roast
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

Cut roast lengthwise to split it into two or three pieces depending on how big your crockpot is so that the pork fits and covers most of the bottom. Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl then pour over the meat.  Cover and cook on Low, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 hours or until the meat is tender.  Shred meat with a fork and serve on buns. 
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2009, 11:35:12 PM »

Sweet Coleslaw

1 small cabbage cored and sliced thinly
1 carrot shredded coarsely
or
1 - 16 oz bag coleslaw mix

2 tablespoons very finely diced onion
2/3 cup mayo
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp celery seeds

Mix cabbage, carrot and onion in a large bowl.  Mix rest of ingredients together in a small bowl and then pour over cabbage.  Toss to coat.  MUST CHILL FOR AT LEAST 2 HOURS before serving.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2009, 06:03:58 PM »

Northern...will you adopt me??? you have the best recipes and I bet that you always have the best things cooking in your kitchen!

melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2010, 07:05:53 PM »

Marinated Beans and Peas

1 – Can LeSeur peas

1 – Cup chopped celery
1 – Cup white vinegar
¼ - Cup Canola oil
1-1/4 – Cup sugar

Add in beans and peas.
Refrigerate overnight.

Thanks, Puzzler! I'm going to try it! I'll be substituting red or yellow bell pepper for the green, so I'll let you know how it turns out! Green Pepper is one of the few veggies that my crew doesn't care for, but my bet is it will still be really good!   

Puzz and CBB I have always used a can of Niblets White Soepeg Corn in this.  I've made it for a long time after my GGran served it at her readers group for years!  My fam loves vinegary/sweet type salads.  The same marinade works for Four Bean Salad or whatever combo you like.
I have a request...when someone gets time can you locate a Cheesecake Bar/Cookie recipe.  I think part of it was a box cake mix, butter, cream cheese and I don't remember what else or the order of.  TIA
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2010, 07:59:18 PM »

CHEESECAKE BAR COOKIES

Instructions

Things You'll Need:
13"x9" Cake Pan (Greased)

Crust:
1 box butter cake mix
1/2 Cup butter (melted)
1 egg
1 Cup Chopped Pecans

Cookie Bar:
1 lb powdered sugar
1/2 Cup butter (melted)
8 oz (1 pkg) cream cheese
1 Cup Chopped Pecans

Topping:
1 Cup Chocolate Chips
1 Cup Chopped Pecans

Step 1
  Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Farenheit. Blend the cake mix, egg, 1/2 cup melted butter and 1 Cup chopped pecans and press into the bottom of the 13"x9" cake pan.

Step 2
  Mix the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup melted butter, cream cheese and 1 Cup chopped pecans.

Step 3
  Pour the cookie filling on top of the crust and spread evenly.

Step 4
  Sprinkle chocolate chips and chopped pecans on the top of the cookie filling mixture.

Step 5
  Bake for 1 hr - 1 hr and 15 minutes at 300 degrees F.

Step 6
  Let cool then cut into bars and ENJOY!

Tips & Warnings
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Farenheit
Cut the bars right out of the oven to cut more easily.
Change the type of cake mix or nuts to add variety.
Do not overcook- bars will become hard

http://www.ehow.com/how_2322917_bake-cheesecake-bar-cookies.html

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2010, 06:11:51 PM »

Thanks so much Mere.  Haven't checked here in a while and the weekend is almost gone so I'll make them next one.  I love them plain and a few of the elderly folk I look in on have trouble with their teeth and this will be so easy for them to chew.  I thank you!
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »

Tuna Casserole
1/2 cup butter, divided
1 (8 ounce) package uncooked medium egg noodles
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces  mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 pkg philly cream cheese
1/2 cup cheddar
2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked
1 cup frozen peas, thawed

3 tablespoons bread crumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F . Butter a medium baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
Put Egg noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes.  drain and leave noodles in pot.
While noodles are cooking melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in the onion, celery, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, until tender. Increase heat to medium-high, and mix in mushrooms salt, pepper and spices. Continue to cook and stir 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Push this to one side of the pan and add  4 tablespoons butter.  When butter is melted stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk, slowly adding the veggies that are pushed on the one side. Add philly, parmesan and 1/2 cup cheddar.   Continue cooking and stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, until sauce is smooth and slightly thickened.  Check salt and pepper and add more to taste if required.  Pour this into pot with drained noodle and add tuna and peas, stir to mix. Spoon into the baking dish. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small bowl, mix with bread crumbs (you can crush crackers or cornflakes  instead of bread crumbs as well) , and sprinkle over the casserole. Top with 1 cup cheese.
Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly browned.

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2010, 03:00:37 PM »

Brandi,are you here for the Banana yum yum?   

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2010, 03:01:38 PM »

Banana Yum Yum  Muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted

1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line 12 muffin cups with muffin papers.
In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2010, 03:06:28 PM »

Thanks NorthernRose!   

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2010, 04:30:39 PM »

I make these for easter but they are great to take as a hostess gift or for a school bake sale as well.

Fudge Cups

1 cup butter softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt   

1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup pecan halves

Grease mini muffin tins
Heat over to 325degrees F

Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Cream butter, peanut butter and white and brown sugars. Mix in egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir the flour mixture into creamed mixture. Shape the dough into 48 balls, 1 inch each. Place each ball in one compartment of a mini muffin tin. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and immediately make wells in the center of each using a melon baller (push down to make well) . Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then carefully remove.

For filling, put chocolate chips in large measuring cup and microwave at one minute intervals stirring between till choclate is melted.   Stir in milk and vanilla, mix well.
Using the measuring cup fill each shell with the chocolate mixture. Top with a pecan half, sprinkles or peeps for easter.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2010, 09:56:52 PM »

sounds yummy NoRose! you have the best recipes!

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2011, 09:22:13 PM »

Sweetheart Pie

8 ounce package cream cheese
1 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 ounce container Coolwhip thawed
9 inch prepared Oreo or chocolate graham cracker crust
16 ounce can cherry pie filling

With electric mixer beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla until smooth.  Gently fold in the Coolwhip.  Spread on bottom of pie crust.  Top with cherry pie filling. Refrigerate 1 hour before cutting.
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2011, 04:02:59 PM »

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/6-common-mistakes-youre-making-roast-chicken-203400049.html

http://www.bonappetit.com/?mbid=synd_yshine

Roast Chicken.

BON APPETIT

To many cooks, roasting a whole chicken is scary. A chicken is a blank canvas, so there are many factors that impact flavor and moisture. Plus, precise cooking time is important, not to mention the many different types of bird. There's a lot of potential for failure. How do you season it? Where do you insert the thermometer? How do you get the skin (everyone's favorite part) perfectly crisp? To ease your worries, we asked the food editors in our test kitchen to correct some of the most common mistakes home cooks make. Find their advice below.

1. Putting a Soggy Bird in the Oven

"Pat the skin as dry as possible with paper towels so the skin gets crispy."

2. Skimping on the Salt

"Season the cavity and skin with salt and whatever else you like. Usually, 1 tsp. of kosher flake salt per lb. of meat is the perfect amount."
--Mary-Frances Heck, Associate Food Editor

3. Leaving Out the Flavor Boosters

"At a minimum, stuff the cavity with a halved lemon to perfume the chicken and keep it moist. (You can add herbs and garlic, also.) For maximum deliciousness, rub a flavored butter under and over the skin of the breasts and thighs. Make any flavored butter you want by following our instructions . "

4. Keeping the Oven at the Same Temperature

"To start, crank the oven up to 475 or 500 and roast the chicken hot for 20 minutes, reduce the heat to 400 and continue roasting until cooked through."
--Hunter Lewis, Food Editor

5. Using a Taste-less Bird

"Start with a good-quality chicken! It'll be hard to coax flavor out of a taste-less bird. I like to use organic grain-fed chickens."

6. Not Using a Thermometer

"Avoid overcooking the chicken by knowing exactly what temperature it's at. As soon as the thermometer registers 165° when it's inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, take the chicken out and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before carving."
--Janet McCracken, Deputy Food Editor

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/6-common-mistakes-youre-making-roast-chicken-203400049.html

181 interesting comments on the link.  A comment suggests putting a can of beer in the chicken, I need to research that one Smile

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2011, 05:27:12 PM »

I just threw a turkey in my crock pot...heard it was delicious!  After its cooked you broil it in the oven for a 10 minutes to get the skin crispy.  I'm hoping it tastes as good as it has been smelling for the last 6 hours!!

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2011, 01:46:23 PM »

I just threw a turkey in my crock pot...heard it was delicious!  After its cooked you broil it in the oven for a 10 minutes to get the skin crispy.  I'm hoping it tastes as good as it has been smelling for the last 6 hours!!

Leroy,

I may do the same thing with the whole chicken, I bought.  It is piece of mind the little crockpot Smile  I actually have a large
crock, but it needs to filled half-way up (according to the directions) the bird should work fine, with a little liquid. Thank-you for
mentioning the C.P. 

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.