March 28, 2024, 01:39:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recipes That Need to be Shared  (Read 60720 times)
Mere
Monkey Junky

« on: June 08, 2007, 08:17:55 PM »

Last year San gave me an old family recipe for Italian Tomato Sauce and Meatballs...I love it and thought, with her permission, I would share it
with you.  Her grandmother did not give precise measurements on some
items...but you cooks will know how much.... Very Happy

SAN’S ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE

Ingredients

3 Cans of peeled tomatoes (not crushed), large cans
1 Can Paste, large can
4 Cloves Chopped Garlic
1 Onion Chopped or cut (medium size is good)
Salt & Pepper (use your own judgment)
Basil Leaves (Fresh or Dried – if you don’t have Basil is not a must more of a preference)
Vegetable Oil or Olive Oil (can combine both)
2 lbs of sausage, (I have used Jimmy Dean or Tennessee mild and/or Italian)

Preparation

   Put oil in pot once hot add sausage and let it brown a little (don’t fry the sausage long)
   Add Garlic and Onion when sausage is browning let cook a little (you can smell the aroma Yum)
   While sausage is browning open tomatoes or open before hand.
   Put tomatoes in blender and give them a quick zip (coupe of seconds).
   When you see garlic and onion starting to cook add the tomatoes
   Add the Salt, Pepper and Basel after you add the tomatoes and stir together

I usually use a Club Aluminum pot or my Le Creuset pot (If you use a stainless steel pot make sure you watch it and stir frequently it tends to burn on bottom faster if not watched)

I usually have the flame on medium and then I put it in simmer and let it cook for about 2 1/2-3 hours.

MEATBALLS

Ingredients

2 lbs of chop meat
Plain Bread Crumbs, moistened
Chopped Garlic
Cheese, grated or fine parmesan
1 Egg
Salt and Pepper

Preparation

   Combine ingredients in a large bowl chop meat being first.
   Wet breadcrumbs until moist before adding to mix
   Start mixing with hands (mix well)
   If you feel it is dry add the egg
   Once it’s mixed start rolling your meatballs to the size of a little bit bigger than a golf ball
   Put meatballs in a plate until read to fry

Fry meatballs in a frying pan using regular Vegetable oil (sort of like when you fry chicken).

Once fried you can add meatballs to sauce or you can eat them before adding (San has to do that quickly in her house because we eat them before we can get them in the sauce).

This is the best Italian Meatballs and Tomato Sauce....promise...!  
The nice thing is...San is always there to consult.... Very Happy   Mere

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 04:31:10 PM »

Creamy White Chili
                 by Marva Brubaker of New Carlisle, OH
           in American Profile Magazine

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans
2 (15-ounce) cans Great Northern beans
1 pound grilled chicken, cubed
1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
1 (14-ounce can) corn
1 (4-ounce) can green chiles
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream

Instructions
1. In a large pan, heat oil and sauté onions and garlic. Add beans, chicken, broth, corn, chiles, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, uncovered.
2. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and whipping cream. Serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8.

This is a wonderful, quick meal with Italian bread and salad.....I use less
sour cream ....cutting back to 3/4 cup and change Garbanzo beans to another white bean (by preference).  Have made it three times....freezes well.

tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 10:14:30 PM »

I'm making this tomorrow night ~ can't believe I actually have all the ingredients!  Did you make it with garbanzos the first time, and decide you didn't care for them?  We like them - you know, chickpeas in the South  Wink , so I guess I'll use those this first time.   Very Happy
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 10:18:07 PM »

ok lime cupcakes with a strawberry in the middle  Very Happy

since some liked them and some did not  Confused FYI I LOVED THEM

recipe:

Strawberry-Lime Stuffed Cupcakes
From Food Network Kitchens

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

Icing:
1 1/3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated lime zest
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 drop green food coloring
6 large ripe strawberries, hulled
Green sanding sugar
Fresh mint leaves or candied leaves

Equipment: 6-cup jumbo muffin tin

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the muffin tin with cupcake liners.

Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.

In another medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until light and foamy, about 2 minutes. While beating, gradually pour in the butter and then the vanilla.

While mixing slowly, add half the dry ingredients, then add all the milk, and follow with the rest of the dry ingredients. Take care not to over mix the batter. Divide the batter evenly in the prepared tin.

Bake until a tester inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool cupcakes on a rack in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove. Cool on the rack completely.

For icing: Mix the confectioners' sugar and lime zest in a medium bowl. Add the lime juice and mix with an electric mixer to make a firm but pourable icing. (If needed, add up to 1 teaspoon more juice, but take care if the icing is too loose it doesn't set properly.) Add food color to make a pale pastel green icing.

To assemble: Remove cupcake from its liner. Cut and remove a strawberry (coned) shaped portion of cupcake from the top of each cupcake, leaving about 1/2 to 1-inch of cake in the bottom. Stuff each cake with a strawberry and cover with a little bit of cake. Spoon and spread icing over the top of the cupcakes. Sprinkle with green sanding sugar. Top with small mint leaves or candied leaves.

Copyright 2007 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 jumbo cupcakes
User Rating:   5 Stars

I continue to stand with the girl.
tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 10:29:44 PM »

None ~ I meant to tell you that *I* thought they sounded super!  Very Happy   I love to cook - well, usually  Confused  - and I think I'll try that for the 4th of July~ having lots of family and think these will be a hit~thanks.  Very Happy
Bobo2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 10:49:39 PM »

The recipe sounds delicious but they look to good to eat!
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 02:40:30 AM »

MeMere I checked San's recipe and I had all the ingredients - so guess what we are having for dinner tonight!

None those cupcakes looks delightful.  All your cookies and cupcakes look too good to eat. Keep them away from OldFart!
I also browsed cakecentral.com and there are some lovely recipes and decorations there.  I loved the idea of the cupcake bouquet and now need an occasion on which to try it out.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 09:32:12 AM »

Thank you tcumom and bobo and Tib. We took a weekend course via the National Culinary Arts Institute online and our design work is improving  Very Happy we can maneuver a pastry bag pretty easily now  Laughing I also didn't use the icing in that recipe, I made buttercream but added the lime zest just for a larger effect. Customers seems to want lots of icing on those cupcakes !

Tib, Robert Gordon has the pretties 3=tier dessert stands that would be perfect for cupcakes. Have BTGirl send me your email addy  Wink

I continue to stand with the girl.
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 02:17:02 PM »

Quote from: "tcumom"
I'm making this tomorrow night ~ can't believe I actually have all the ingredients!  Did you make it with garbanzos the first time, and decide you didn't care for them?  We like them - you know, chickpeas in the South  Wink , so I guess I'll use those this first time.   Very Happy

tcu...am from the south but do not like the hardness of the chickpeas I have tried....so used small lima and great northern the first time...did you make the dish?  Did you like it?   Very Happy

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 02:20:08 PM »

tibro...San's Italian meatsauce and meatballs are my absolute favorites....I was always lazy and used meatsauce in the jars....but no one wants my old method since I first made this recipe....YUM..... Very Happy

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 02:32:52 PM »

American Profile Magazine (a weekly in the newspaper in my area) has
nice recipes.  I like that they are not all from the south....though this one is like something I would serve with crackers at a party.... Very Happy

Artichoke Dip
from Vicky Navarrete
Hesperia, California

Ingredients

1 (15-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
1 (3-ounce) can diced mild green chiles or diced jalapenos
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
3 to 4 chopped green onions
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Combine artichokes, chiles, Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise and green onions. Stir in cream cheese; mix well. Spoon into a 9-inch-square baking dish. Bake about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with slices of French bread or toast. Serves 8.

Tips from the Test Kitchen
Tips From Our Test Kitchen:
This creamy, spicy dip is also excellent served with vegetable sticks.

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 02:35:05 PM »

None...I just copied the recipe for the cupcakes....would love to be successful with them...they sound delicious.   Very Happy

casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 02:51:23 PM »

Gonna try to copy and paste my salsa receipe here.  If you see it then you know I did it!!!!

1 gallon diced tomatoes, 2 cups diced onions, 2 cups diced bell pepper, 1 cup diced jalapenos, 1 Tablespoon minced garlic, 4 Tablespoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon cilantro leaves

(Any of these ingredients can be adjusted for your own personal taste)

Place the mixture into sterile jars for canning. Hot water bath jars for 40 minutes. Remember there are no perservatives in this salsa, so after opening please refrigerate.

The recipte calls for fresh tomatoes but I have used canned diced tomatoes and you cannot tell the difference! I have also used fresh cilantro and dried - no difference.

This amount fills about 8 pint jars.

Just a hint: After the water bath and the mixture "sits" together the salsa is hotter than when you first taste it. I once used more jalapenos because when I tasted I thought it wasn't hot enough. After the water bath it was almost too hot so be careful with the peppers!!!!

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 03:00:58 PM »

Quote from: "MeMere"

tcu...am from the south but do not like the hardness of the chickpeas I have tried....so used small lima and great northern the first time...did you make the dish?  Did you like it?   Very Happy

It's in my crockpot right now ~ course I keep peeking and nibbling ~ delicious and it's not even ready yet!  It tastes great - I'm using the chickpeas along with great northerns. We need a smiley that shows me lickin' my lips.  Very Happy  Very Happy
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 10:23:38 PM »

casa...if I were going to make a small batch of salsa, do I cook it for a bit in a pot on the stove and then refrigerate...I love all of your ingredients...YUM

tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 10:37:51 PM »

MeMere ~ oh my gosh ~ the white chili soup/stew is fantastic ~ I liked it with the chickpeas, and I used more green chiles.  DH loved it ~ hope he doesn't suffer any effects tonight!  Embarassed

Casa ~ I'm going to use that salsa recipe for the 4th - do you think I could make it a couple of days in advance, and just leave it in the refrig?
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 10:54:31 PM »

casa I made a smaller batch of your salsa and we both loved it.  Had to go easy on the jalapenos as DH cannot eat too much spicy food.  Also I did not know what cilantro was (since found out we call it coriander) so I substituted basil leaves.  Heated it until onions were soft and then refrigerated.  Yummy.  Thank you for sharing - I meant to tell you this after you posted recipe on main forum.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 10:56:37 PM »

MeMere and San Meatballs and tomato sauce were a great hit for dinner last night.  Now I will have to make it every time instead of relying on bought sauce! Thank you both for the recipe.

casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 12:00:43 AM »

Quote from: "MeMere"
casa...if I were going to make a small batch of salsa, do I cook it for a bit in a pot on the stove and then refrigerate...I love all of your ingredients...YUM

I think that would work.  If you heat it on the stove though be sure and have tomato juice in it so it won't get too dry or burn.  If you use canned tomatos use the juice from the cans. If you use fresh tomatos I'd add a little tomato juice, I think. I would heat it very slowly, just until the onions and peppers get limp.  Then refrigerate.
casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 12:01:59 AM »

MeMere ~ oh my gosh ~ the white chili soup/stew is fantastic ~ I liked it with the chickpeas, and I used more green chiles.  DH loved it ~ hope he doesn't suffer any effects tonight!  Embarassed

Casa ~ I'm going to use that salsa recipe for the 4th - do you think I could make it a couple of days in advance, and just leave it in the refrig?

You could definitely make it a couple days ahead and refrigerate.  I refrigerate mine after opening a jar and it gets for quit a while in the refrigerator.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.