March 28, 2024, 03:56:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recipes That Need to be Shared  (Read 60714 times)
casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 12:03:25 AM »

Quote from: "Tibrogargan"
casa I made a smaller batch of your salsa and we both loved it.  Had to go easy on the jalapenos as DH cannot eat too much spicy food.  Also I did not know what cilantro was (since found out we call it coriander) so I substituted basil leaves.  Heated it until onions were soft and then refrigerated.  Yummy.  Thank you for sharing - I meant to tell you this after you posted recipe on main forum.

Tibro, so glad you and DH enjoyed it!  I had to cut back a little on the jalapenos myself as the longer it sits the hotter it gets!
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 09:18:27 AM »

casa....you know the very nice thing about your salsa....I have the ingredients growing right outside my kitchen door....!  

Someone just gave me a new cookbook....Uncle Bubba's Savannah Seafood....Bubba is Paula Deen's brother....he has lots of old family recipes....and his directions are clear and easy.  This is an example.

BUTTER BEANS
by Earl "Bubba" Hiers

Serves 6 to 8

3 slices streak o' lean or bacon (streak o' lean is a form of fatback...like   lard but firmer)

4 cups chicken broth

1 pound fresh or frozen butter beans (or lima beans)

Salt and Pepper

Rinse the streak o' lean in cold water; pat dry.  Heat the streak o' lean in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until the fat renders.  Add the chicken broth and butter beans and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes or until beans are tender.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 01:01:33 PM »

Hot Sausage Sandwhich recipe for the Crockpot  

Here is my recipe I use!!

10 to 12 links of hot  Italian sausage
1 large can of whole tomatos
2 cans of tomato puree.
4 large green peppers
2 large onions

<you can use your fav spaghetti sauce for this as well and not what I mentioned> I used to do that until a friend of ours made hot sausage at street fairs and I asked  him what sauce he used.. lol>

In the crockpot.. pour in the can of whole tomatos.. juice included.  Smoosh the tomatos up. <make sure your hands are washed..lol>
next I dump in the Puree.. mix together
Add the sausage links..
Cut the peppers and onions into strips..throw them in and mix it up so everything is covered with the sauce.
Add the lid of the crockpot .. and you're done!  It takes approx 8 to 10 hours to cook  Smile  I stir it occasionally IF I am around to do so.

And whats left over.. I usually chop up the sausage then in small peices.. and freeze the sauce with the sausage and you can you that on pasta sometime.. Its yummy!  Smile The sausage and onions give the sauce great flavor .. no other spices needed.

CASA what I emailed you is almsot the same but I usually at least use a dozen hot italain sausage links! another big can of puree.
Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 07:17:06 PM »

DEEP FRIED TWINKIES

ingredients

6 Twinkies
popsicle sticks
4 c. vegetable oil
flour (for dusting)
1 c. milk
2 tbsp. vinegar
1 tbsp. oil
1 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

preparation

Chill or freeze Twinkies for several hours
Heat 4 c. vegetable oil in deep fryer (375 deg)
Mix milk, vinegar & oil
In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder & salt
Whisk wet ingredients into dry. Mix til smooth. Refridgerate while oil heats.
Put sticks in Twinkies and dip into batter.
Place in hot oil. It will float so brown evenly.
Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 07:19:37 PM »

Deep Fried Mars Bars

Invented in Scotland, this dish has now become famous worldwide. It is an excellent source of fat, sugar and calories. For a seasonal variation you could also try deep frying a Cadbury's Creme Egg.

1  Mars bar or Milky Way bar  
1  cup plain flour  
1/2  cup cornflour  
1  pinch baking soda  
 milk or beer  
 oil (for deep frying)  

Chill the chocolate bar by keeping it in the fridge, but don't freeze it.
Mix the flours and bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) together.
Add milk (traditional) or beer (which gives a lighter result) until you get a batter with the consistency of thin cream.
Heat the oil until a small piece of bread will brown in a few seconds, but don't allow to smoke.
Remove wrapper from chilled chocolate bar.
Coat completely in batter.
Carefully lower into hot oil and fry until golden brown.
Serve, with ice cream or french fries, if you're so inclined.
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 07:53:34 PM »

Easy...these are the best....have never tried before but will get the ingredients tomorrow...!
Wonder if you can use the bite-sized bars...?

Angie...love the Crockpot Sausage....love anything in a crockpot... Very Happy

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2007, 05:31:44 PM »

Ok, you all, I am trying to diet and come in here and gain 20 lbs just reading!  Laughing   Everything sounds sooooo good!

I am looking for some good low cal/fat recipes.  I've already lost 16 lbs. just from eating Lean Cuisine's, fruit's and salads, but that get's old after awhile.  I need something fast and simple, as I don't always have time to cook much when I get home from work around 6:30pm sometimes.  I try not to eat late.

Appreciate any suggestions!  Wink

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2007, 06:17:17 PM »

Dihannah-

With all the fresh veggies I am roasting vegetables often and not having meat, I'm not a big carnivore as it is. You can roast asparagus, new potatoes, green beans, tomatoes (roma work well), leeks, vidalia onion the list is long. Just toss with olive oil, salt and cracked pepper, a little lemon juice and most are ready within 20 to 30 minutes roasted at 400 degrees.

Quick and easy too, the flavor is incredible and you lose none of the nutrients as you do by steaming or boiling.

Easy, I"m too lazy to fry a candy bar, I suspect in this heat I'd have to eat it or freeze it quick too  Laughing It does sound yummy tho.

I continue to stand with the girl.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2007, 08:27:15 PM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
Dihannah-

With all the fresh veggies I am roasting vegetables often and not having meat, I'm not a big carnivore as it is. You can roast asparagus, new potatoes, green beans, tomatoes (roma work well), leeks, vidalia onion the list is long. Just toss with olive oil, salt and cracked pepper, a little lemon juice and most are ready within 20 to 30 minutes roasted at 400 degrees.

Quick and easy too, the flavor is incredible and you lose none of the nutrients as you do by steaming or boiling.

Easy, I"m too lazy to fry a candy bar, I suspect in this heat I'd have to eat it or freeze it quick too  Laughing It does sound yummy tho.

I do LOVE salads, with romain, and just about any veggie added.  I love raw brocolli, tomatoes, cucumber, etc.... my biggest downfall is the dressing.  I have trouble finding low fat/fat free dressings I like.  I do like vinegar and oil sometimes and I like to dip raw brocoli and cauliflower in low fat 3 cheese ranch or blue cheese.  And I LOVE fruit, thank God.  It takes care of my sweet tooth.    
Roasting is a good idea, because nutrients are important to me.  I do eat meat, but try to keep it at a minimum and lowest in fat content (most of the time), but I do enjoy a good juicy steak, chicken, pork and ground sirlion burgers on the grill!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2007, 08:54:56 PM »

Dihannah-

I love those raspberry vinagrette dressings, several are lowfat and they are delicious. Like you I like blue cheese and ranch too, but I"m making myself use the vinaigrette as much as I can.  Confused If you haven't tried it you might want to.

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 08:38:11 AM »

SOUR CREAM PORK CHOPS
by Earl "Bubba" Hiers
from his book "Uncle Bubba's Savannah Seafood"

Serves 4

Melt in your mouth...can use boneless or bone-in chops...serve over rice.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

4 pork chops

1 medium onion, thinly sliced

One 8 oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained (sorry Bubba, I would use fresh)

1 cup beef broth

1 tsp. prepared yellow mustard

1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

1 tsp. paprika

Salt and Pepper

1 cup sour cream

Directions:

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil and brown the pork chops on both sides.

Separate the onion slices into rings and layer evenly on top of the pork chops.

Scatter the mushroom slices over the onion rings.

In a small bowl, combine the broth, mustard, parsley, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.

Pour the mixture over the pork chops and simmer, covered, for one and a half hours.

Stir in the sour cream and cook for an additional 15 minutes until heated through.  Do not let boil.

Serve over rice.

Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2007, 02:41:59 PM »

I am so hungry  now....off to cook. Very Happy  Very Happy
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007, 04:01:28 PM »

If you love creole food, you will love the recipes at the Gumbo Pages....
scan all the way down and look at the various sections....meats, seafoods, side dishes, etc.  I use these recipes often.....YUM.... Very Happy

http://www.gumbopages.com/recipe-page.html

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 05:29:14 PM »

Those recipes do look so delicious MeMere, I've been craving shrimp and grits but too lazy to peel the shrimp  Laughing

This corn pudding is an addicting recipe, I like the garlic addition too, now that corn is coming in I want to make some with the silver queen variety soon

Cheesy Corn Pudding
Serves 6

2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups fresh corn about 4-5 ears
3 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1 cup half and half
1/4 cup each grated parmesan cheese and Gouda
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar
Salt and black pepper to taste

Pre-heat oven 350 degrees

In a sauté pan heat olive oil until very hot add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is just starting to turn brown about 4 minutes. Add the corn and sauté briefly about 2 minutes. Remove from the stove and cool. Whisk together the eggs and flour until smooth add the half and half and whisk until smooth. Add the cooled corn mixture into the egg mixture. Fold in the cheeses and season with salt and black pepper. Pour into a well greased 8x8 pan or a 2 quart baking dish. Place in the oven and bake until custard is just set about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest and serve warm.

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2007, 05:25:03 PM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
Dihannah-

I love those raspberry vinagrette dressings, several are lowfat and they are delicious. Like you I like blue cheese and ranch too, but I"m making myself use the vinaigrette as much as I can.  Confused If you haven't tried it you might want to.

I have used them and I do like the vinagrettes.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 11:10:40 PM »

Here is something very simple and very refreshing.

Buy some good green grapes and take off all the little stems. Wash them and dry them. Then put them in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer. Each one becomes a tiny "popsicle" that slowly melts in you mouth. When I was working, I ate one bag of frozen grapes on my way to work.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Bobo2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2007, 04:09:54 PM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Here is something very simple and very refreshing.

Buy some good green grapes and take off all the little stems. Wash them and dry them. Then put them in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer. Each one becomes a tiny "popsicle" that slowly melts in you mouth. When I was working, I ate one bag of frozen grapes on my way to work.

Louise, thank you for that recipe.  My son needs a cool, healthy snack after his grueling morning football workouts, and these sound perfect.  Great idea!
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2007, 08:29:16 PM »

Another wonderful frozen fruit is watermelon... it takes just like a popsicle!

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
crazybabyborg
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2007, 02:43:37 AM »

This isn't exactly a recipe, and it isn't low fat, but OMG, it's to die for! While John and I were laid up from our wreck, I kept his favorite ice cream on hand. One night I made my son's favorite brownies and decided to combine the two. The result was incredible.................we all three agreed that it could be served at the finest restaurant in the world and receive raves. Here's what it takes:

Follow the directions on the brownies but under bake them slightly (easy fixings. Just add 1 egg, oil, and water. Don't substitute brands though!)

Just put the brownie in a bowl and top with the ice cream. Coffee's the perfect complement for this dessert!

The Hagan Daaz flavor is dulce de leche, (vanilla with caramel swirls). Don't substitute ANYTHING else. If the brownies aren't warm from the oven, heat slighty in the microwave, and give the ice cream a 15 second thaw in the microwave as well.

For a special treat or company, it's not even in the same league as a sundae!
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2007, 05:57:16 PM »

anyone have a good peach cobbler recipe for fresh peaches?

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.