April 25, 2024, 02:37:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Irene  (Read 36316 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2011, 03:24:03 PM »

Good to see you've got power Brandi! 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2011, 03:44:30 PM »

Thank you.

I'll post some pictures of our area later today.

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #182 on: August 30, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »

Thank you.

I'll post some pictures of our area later today.

List of URLs to pics here if anyone is interested: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=12021.msg1465639#msg1465639

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2011, 11:30:09 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/31/irene.aftermath/
States struggle with Irene aftermath as floodwaters surge
August 31, 2011

CNN) -- Despite sunny skies, flood warnings remained in effect Wednesday for areas of several states hard-hit by Hurricane Irene, as authorities struggled to clean up and rebuild roads and bridges in the aftermath of the storm.

"Nobody that got hit with this flooding dodged a bullet," Craig Fugate, Federal Emergency Management Agency administrator, said Wednesday. "Loss of life, extensive damages, homes flooded ... it may not have been as big a deal on the coast, but these flood areas definitely got hit hard."

Irene killed 43 people from Florida to New England as it marched up the Eastern Seaboard over the weekend, dumping torrential rains. Some of the worst flooding struck Vermont, New Jersey and upstate New York.

More than 1.8 million customers remained without electricity Wednesday from North Carolina to Maine, the U.S. Department of Energy said -- a decrease from the 2.8 million reported Tuesday afternoon. Outage figures include more than 366,000 in Connecticut and 323,000 in New York.

::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #184 on: August 31, 2011, 11:47:27 AM »

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/Airlifts-Begin-for-Stranded-Victims-of-Irene-128794148.html
Airlifts Begin for Stranded Victims of Hurricane Irene
August 31, 2011

People gather alongside workers making repairs on Route 4 in Killington, Vermont, Aug. 30, 2011

mergency workers in the northeastern United States have begun airlifting food and water to thousands of residents stranded by floodwaters from Hurricane Irene.

Authorities said Tuesday that at least a dozen communities in the state of Vermont were unreachable by vehicle because of damage to roads and bridges caused by the state's worst floods in nearly a century. The state was among the worst affected by flooding because of already wet soil.

Further south, in the state of New Jersey, emergency workers rescued more than 500 people from flooded homes, some by boat and others by truck.

Utilities companies said Tuesday three million residents along the East Coast are still without electricity, three days after the storm passed over the most densely populated region of the U.S.

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #185 on: August 31, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »

At Mc D's for free wifi I'm going to get fat if this keeps up.
Still no power and living out of RV with three TV stations to watch and 7 Spanish stations lol

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #186 on: September 01, 2011, 12:25:16 AM »

At Mc D's for free wifi I'm going to get fat if this keeps up.
Still no power and living out of RV with three TV stations to watch and 7 Spanish stations lol

I hope you get your power back soon, Blonde.

But consider yourself one of the lucky ones that you have that beautiful RV to stay in during this time.

Hope to hear you have power back soon.

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #187 on: September 01, 2011, 06:27:02 AM »

At DD now so I could get on my laptop going to be 10 days until we get power all the rich people are first then the us this is costing so much in gas for generator and I'm feeling a little crazy right now ..
Walmart lost all of their food their generator did go on this feels like the end of the world no reg gas only $5.00 a gal gas this is BS

Good morning Monkey's,

Blonde this is a perfect time to take photos if you have a camera or mean of taking them.  I understand you are struggling but I thought about the photos you download on SM, and you do nice work. 

You seem to have a good eye for photos. Smile

2011 Popular Photography Readers Photo Contest

The 18th Annual Popular Photography Photo Contest gives photographers the opportunity to win prizes and have their work recognized in the January 2012 issue of Popular Photography, the largest photo magazine in the world, as well as on our website, PopPhoto.com.

DEADLINE: September 30, 2011

If you have any questions about the contest or you're having trouble with your submission, please contact contest.questions@bonniercorp.com.

http://www.popphoto.com/photo-contest/2011ReadersContest/home

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/more-178-000-va-still-without-electricity-175339040.html
More than 178,000 in Va still without electricity
September 1, 2011

Dominion Virginia Power says it expects to restore electricity to 90 to 95 percent of all customers by the end of the day Friday. It says the areas that suffered the most extreme damage will have service restored Saturday. More than 1 million Virginia customers were without power at the peak of the outages.

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #189 on: September 01, 2011, 05:00:05 PM »

I got  my power  back.. I was lucky to stay in my RV but hubby kept forgetting to close the back window where the exhaust pipe was this was making me nuts and giving me a terrible headache.
 I had to yell at him every day.I really love to yell lol
Just why are men so dumb 

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #190 on: September 01, 2011, 05:23:27 PM »

http://www.courant.com/news/weather/hurricane/hc-connecticut-hurricane-irene-pictures-0827,0,6178793.photogallery

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #191 on: September 01, 2011, 06:45:10 PM »

Blonde - I'm just glad you guys are OK and lucky to have the RV.   
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #192 on: September 01, 2011, 07:20:21 PM »

I got  my power  back.. I was lucky to stay in my RV but hubby kept forgetting to close the back window where the exhaust pipe was this was making me nuts and giving me a terrible headache.
 I had to yell at him every day.I really love to yell lol
Just why are men so dumb 

Blonde, do you and your husband understand about carbon monoxide poisoning?  And do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your RV?  If not, you should get one right away.  Low level exposure over a period of time or repeated exposure can harm you.  It accumulates in your blood stream. 

http://www.silentshadow.org/long-term-effects-of-carbon-monoxide-poisoning.html
Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is a potentially deadly gas that can have devastating effects upon your life – assuming, of course, that it doesn’t kill you.

This gas has no taste, colour or odour, and can be breathed in over a short or long period of time without you even knowing that it is present. Depending on the levels of carbon monoxide that are breathed in to the body, you may suffer short term effects or permanent damage.
he reason why carbon monoxide is so harmful is that it displaces the levels of oxygen within the blood, which results in the death of cells and damage to major organs, which are subsequently starved of oxygen. This lack of oxygen in the blood is known as anoxia. This can lead to a range of symptoms and effects, both short term and long term depending on the levels of gas breathed in and the duration over which you are exposed to carbon monoxide.

The long term effects of poisoning by carbon monoxide can be extremely serious. The long term effects of breathing in carbon monoxide can affect:

memory
    brain function
    behaviour
    cognition.

It can also cause permanent damage to other major organs within the body, such as the heart.

It is thought that the hippocampus, which is the section of the brain that deals with new memories, can be particularly susceptible to long term damage from CO poisoning.

The effects of carbon monoxide poisoning over the long term may be subtle or may be very severe, depending on the extent of poisoning:

Up to forty percent of those poisoned can suffer problems that range from amnesia, headaches and memory loss to personality and behavioural changes, loss of muscle and bladder control and impairment of co-ordination and vision.

Many of these long term effects are not immediate and may present themselves several weeks after exposure.

In many cases, the symptoms may wear off within a certain time period.

However, in some cases the effects are permanent: particularly in the case of organ damage and brain damage.

Some of the long term effects of low level exposure are still unknown, so it can often be difficult to ascertain what sort of effect this hazardous gas may have upon your life.

http://www.carbon-monoxide-poisoning.com/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-treatment.html
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Treatment
The most common symptoms range from:

headache
    nausea
    dizziness
    confusion
    depression
    memory loss

Blood Testing
Chronic carbon monoxide poisoning is often misdiagnosed, and typically associated with other forms of health problems. A blood test is required in order to determine whether or not the person has harmful levels of carbon monoxide in their blood stream. By simply removing the person from the source of the carbon monoxide, symptoms should eventually disappear and good health restored.

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #193 on: September 02, 2011, 08:32:11 AM »

Yes we have three in the RV.
I bought a 4th and put it right by my pillow
I'm not sure if it was carbon monoxide or just the smell of that exhaust pipe because nothing went off.
I just hate things that smell but at 7:00 last night our power went back on so now my Daughter and Grandson are staying with us. She won't have power for a while because of all the trees and wires in the road..

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2011, 09:50:36 AM »

I'm not sure if it was carbon monoxide or just the smell of that exhaust pipe because nothing went off.
I just hate things that smell but at 7:00 last night our power went back on so now my Daughter and Grandson are staying with us. She won't have power for a while because of all the trees and wires in the road..
Blonde, glad your power is back on and no more stinky exhaust.

Gypsy DD
Monkey Junky

« Reply #195 on: September 02, 2011, 09:57:07 AM »

Hoping Brandi in VA is okay. an angelic monkey

Thank you for thinking of me, Gypsy!

Just got back.

Lost power Saturday night around 6:30.

There are still ~50% of the customers in our tri-cities area without power. They expect everyone to have power back sometime Saturday. That's a week without power. Sad

We were lucky to have ours finally restored.

Home on our block had an uprooted tree fall on it and literally split the home in two. The elderly couple living in it were lucky to escape.

Trees uprooted, power lines down everywhere. Many gas stations that had power ran out of gas. It's been a mess around here.

We went from being a Jetson household on Saturday to being a Walton household.

The worst part was Saturday night with the winds and not having power, so we could not see what was happening out there. Just heard the winds. Scary.

But we are fine now, and have power!!!

Just working my way through this thread to see how everyone else did. Hope our monkeys fared well.

Brandi..my brother inlaw in Maryland just got power back yesterday sept 1..out since Sat night.  This is crazy.  Winter snow storms aren't as bad as this has been.  We never lost power here..but not to far friends did ..one side of the street had power the other side not..and that went on until Wednesday....just wierd.

"Commit a crime and the world is made of glass."
Ralph Waldo Emerson  1841
Gypsy DD
Monkey Junky

« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2011, 10:01:11 AM »

Blonde..glad to hear you finally have power back. 

"Commit a crime and the world is made of glass."
Ralph Waldo Emerson  1841
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #197 on: September 02, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »

Hoping Brandi in VA is okay. an angelic monkey

Thank you for thinking of me, Gypsy!

Just got back.

Lost power Saturday night around 6:30.

There are still ~50% of the customers in our tri-cities area without power. They expect everyone to have power back sometime Saturday. That's a week without power. Sad

We were lucky to have ours finally restored.

Home on our block had an uprooted tree fall on it and literally split the home in two. The elderly couple living in it were lucky to escape.

Trees uprooted, power lines down everywhere. Many gas stations that had power ran out of gas. It's been a mess around here.

We went from being a Jetson household on Saturday to being a Walton household.

The worst part was Saturday night with the winds and not having power, so we could not see what was happening out there. Just heard the winds. Scary.

But we are fine now, and have power!!!

Just working my way through this thread to see how everyone else did. Hope our monkeys fared well.

Brandi..my brother inlaw in Maryland just got power back yesterday sept 1..out since Sat night.  This is crazy.  Winter snow storms aren't as bad as this has been.  We never lost power here..but not to far friends did ..one side of the street had power the other side not..and that went on until Wednesday....just wierd.

There were so many without power, and so many trees down on power lines. Lots of work to do to get power restored around here.

I just checked and in VA we still have 96,273 customers out.

77,286 still out in the Richmond/Tri-Cities area. That's about 1 out of 7 still out.

(Hubby's boss in his mansion is still without power.)  Monkey Devil!

They are hoping to get everyone back online by Sat. night. (A week after we lost power.)

I have been shopping for solar/crank powered stuff that would have made our time w/o power less stressful. And we were not out for a week. Just cannot fathom a week, but it's entirely possible, I have seen. I got so hot without power. Shopping for an affordable solar powered fan today.

Also have made extensive notes about living without electricity. Which I will have to print out to a hard copy to be able to use during an outage. LOL

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.