March 28, 2024, 10:46:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9/11 TEN YEARS LATER  (Read 17913 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: September 02, 2011, 05:31:37 PM »

THEN

AND NOW - SITE PLAN

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/index.html

Post updates, news, experiences and feelings about 9/11 and the 10th anniversary here in this thread.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:31:20 PM »

I remember it like it was yesterday.  I pass the site depending on which bus I take to work and it's still hard for me to look at.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 03:10:03 PM »

This was in today's New York Post:

Tragic relics from WTC attacks to be part of 9/11 museum

By ANDY SOLTIS
Last Updated: 8:41 AM, September 3, 2011
Posted: 2:46 AM, September 3, 2011

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/mementos_from_our_darkest_day_rOzkSCCw9t0bHsPCa3lEUK#ixzz1WuydMhgM
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 05:41:49 PM »

The pictures bring me right back to that day.  I was watching TV when it happened and continued to watch for hours.

My adult son called and said "Mom what is happening?" and I could not tell him.  It made no
sense.  It was so hard to wrap your head around what you saw that day.

There were bits and pieces that were tough.  One or more of the pilots trained in Florida near where I was living and I later learned that one or more had bank accounts at the same bank that I used.  It was the end of innocence. 

San I always think of you as this time rolls around.  Hugs.....

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 02:39:17 AM »

This was in today's New York Post:

Tragic relics from WTC attacks to be part of 9/11 museum

By ANDY SOLTIS
Last Updated: 8:41 AM, September 3, 2011
Posted: 2:46 AM, September 3, 2011

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/mementos_from_our_darkest_day_rOzkSCCw9t0bHsPCa3lEUK#ixzz1WuydMhgM

Thanks for posting the article, San. I watched a special on "The Rise Of Freedom" about the site as it currently is and what the plans are and was amazed at the plans for the museum. They have preserved, in a humidity controlled hanger, damaged cars and emergency vehicles from that day. They have the "survivors staircase" and a huge collection of small items that have been carefully categorized and preserved. The museum will not be highly "decorated", but mostly left so that the relics define the day. There is even a controversial section of pictures of those that jumped. In the end, the decision was made that the story needed to be told and the hopes were that future generations could come to the museum and understand. In the end, the importance of "Never Forget" was recognized. It will be a place of reverence.

The museum is underground, on the foundation of the towers that were destroyed. Leaving the museum, you come up to ground level......... and hope. There are trees that are being meticulously cared for right now and they'll be all ready and healthy when it's time to plant. There will be life all around the memorial..... reaching skyward, tall and proud! There are so many details that have meaning. It will be an incredible place and fitting to the events.

I will never forget that day. No one over the age of 16 ever will. Neither we, nor our country can go back to what defined us before 9-11, because the magnitude of it shifted the world and our place in it. The innocence of almost 3,000 lives were lost that day and the innocence of America was also a casualty. My prayer is that collectively, we have emerged stronger and more wise. My prayer is that the strength and wisdom has been born from resolve, not cynicism, and that the wisdom is from understanding, not fear. God be with the families of 9-11 and may God be with America.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 12:51:22 PM »

There is even a controversial section of pictures of those that jumped.

CBB, that day my boss was across the street.  She was late that day and that's why she never made it to the building.  She was with her husband shocked at what she saw.  Her husband said let's move back and they started moving back.  As that happened the second plane came roaring over the crashed into the second tower.  They started to run towards the New Jersey Ferry.  As they were running a piece from the plane came down and hit a car that was in the street and the car imploded.  She was right near it.  I didn't know where she was that day because I heard so many conflicting stories.  Someone said they had seen her walking towards the building and some said no they saw her on the other side of the street and she was safe so I wasn't sure if she was safe or not.

I finally got in contact with her two days later.  But she really couldn't tell me anything because she was in shock.  I knew I lost quite a few friends I worked with and wasn't sure who survived.  We all started calling people to see who made it out.  About three days passed and my boss called me again.  She said San I'm sorry for the loss of your friends.  She knew them too because we worked in the same department.  That is when it hit me that they were gone and there was no hope in finding anyone alive.  I broke down and started to cry because I knew I wouldn't see them anymore.

For a while I tried to easily talk to my boss about that day.  She finally said one day that when she was across the street she saw women holdings hands and they jumped from tower one along with many others.

So in the end she saw much more than me.  I know a lot of stories I heard but she was actually there that day and witness the plane going over and people just scrambling all over to run for safety.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 12:52:58 PM by San » Logged
crazybabyborg
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 01:22:47 PM »

There is even a controversial section of pictures of those that jumped.

CBB, that day my boss was across the street.  She was late that day and that's why she never made it to the building.  She was with her husband shocked at what she saw.  Her husband said let's move back and they started moving back.  As that happened the second plane came roaring over the crashed into the second tower.  They started to run towards the New Jersey Ferry.  As they were running a piece from the plane came down and hit a car that was in the street and the car imploded.  She was right near it.  I didn't know where she was that day because I heard so many conflicting stories.  Someone said they had seen her walking towards the building and some said no they saw her on the other side of the street and she was safe so I wasn't sure if she was safe or not.

I finally got in contact with her two days later.  But she really couldn't tell me anything because she was in shock.  I knew I lost quite a few friends I worked with and wasn't sure who survived.  We all started calling people to see who made it out.  About three days passed and my boss called me again.  She said San I'm sorry for the ,loss of your friends.  She knew them too because we worked in the same department.  That is when it hit me that they were gone and there was no hope in finding anyone alive.  I broke down and started to cry because I knew I wouldn't see them anymore.

For a while I tried to easily talk to my boss about that day.  She finally said one day that when she was across the street she saw women holdings hands and they jumped from tower one along with many others.

So in the end she saw much more than me.  I know a lot of stories I heard but she was actually there that day and witness the plane going over and people just scrambling all over to run for safety.

Oh, San..... I feel your heart in your words, in the ones said and unsaid. My God...... there are no words, not even 10 years later. I'm sorry for your losses. I'm sorry for all the pain that surrounds that day for so many. May we never ever face another day like it... ever! Humanity inflicted this on humanity. It was a choice. It's so hard to get my mind around it.

On the special I watched, they mentioned there would be a memorial wall in the museum, behind which would be remains that were never identified. There was a Mom that wasn't happy about it. Her son had never been found and she said that she couldn't stand the thought of any part of him remaining in that "Hell Hole". I understand what she was saying and I respect her feelings about it. On the other hand, there were many others who felt that the reverence of the wall was a wonderful tribute to those who lost their lives.

I had planned a trip to New York a week after 911 and didn't change my plans in the aftermath. We were two of seven on the flight....normally, the flight was always packed. We were staying in the Village and got in a cab to ask if the cabbie could take us as close as possible to ground zero. My God, you would have thought we had asked him to give us his first born. He swerved the cab to the curb and abruptly turned to face us glaringly, and loudly said, "WHY?" I tried not to flinch and gave him an honest answer. I simply said that as we watched what happened from a distance, we felt that we all had been attacked and that we yearned to pay our respects to those who had lost their lives and to stand with those who had taken the brunt intended for all Americans.

He took us to the site and parked on the harbor side. He got out with us and talked to us about that day. He was in the financial district when the second plane hit. You could still see in the evacuated buildings left, lampshades askew in windows and the empty hole where the buildings were..........it was debris. San, I would tell you what I told the cabbie. I can't imagine what you and so many others felt on a very personal level as you worked through the trauma of tragedy. I just want to stand with you against the evil that brought this to you. Hugs, San for all who lived through that day. We will never forget! 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »

DON'T MISS THE DANA PRETZER SHOW TONIGHT!

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 03:41:53 PM »

Michael Hingson is the blind guy that made it out.  He will be on the Dana Pretzer show tonight.  This is his website:

http://michaelhingson.com/newsite/
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 11:14:31 PM »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/09/07/iconic_9-11_today.DTL
Famous 9/11 faces: Where are they now?
September 7, 2011

Many of the instantly iconic photos from September 11th featured ordinary Americans, each a part of the tragedy in their own way. These once-anonymous faces will now remain a part of history, reflecting the effects of 9/11 on all of America. Ten years later, how have their lives changed?
 ::snipping2::
Slide show at link- 12 images. ( I remember seeing these photos from September 11th, I know you will too.)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Aurelia7
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 09:44:05 PM »

I'm still so very angry that so many innocent souls lost their lives.  I remember watching the second plane hit and then watching the towers burn and wondering how they were going to put out a fire at those heights.  Never in a million years did I expect them to collapse.  It seemed impossible.

Which brings me to ask:  What do you all think about the many 9/11 conspiracy theories?   Common sense tells me they're silly nonsense and far-fatched.  But then, on YouTube, I've seen some pretty compelling evidence that the US could have been behind these attacks.  The videos showing explosions before impact, explosions heard by many right before the towers' collapse.  The videos showing the Pentagon being hit by a missile.  And the crash site at Shanksville strangely shows no plane debris.  While I believe that terrorists are behind the 9/11 attacks, those videos and conspiracies are eye opening and haunting.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 10:06:45 PM »

I'm still so very angry that so many innocent souls lost their lives.  I remember watching the second plane hit and then watching the towers burn and wondering how they were going to put out a fire at those heights.  Never in a million years did I expect them to collapse.  It seemed impossible.

Which brings me to ask:  What do you all think about the many 9/11 conspiracy theories?   Common sense tells me they're silly nonsense and far-fatched.  But then, on YouTube, I've seen some pretty compelling evidence that the US could have been behind these attacks.  The videos showing explosions before impact, explosions heard by many right before the towers' collapse.  The videos showing the Pentagon being hit by a missile.  And the crash site at Shanksville strangely shows no plane debris.  While I believe that terrorists are behind the 9/11 attacks, those videos and conspiracies are eye opening and haunting.

I don't believe in any conspiracy.  The attacks happened and we were caught off guard.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 10:08:11 PM »

The Mayor of New York is on TV talking about a possible terror threat in New York on the Anniversary.  He is asking people to be alert.  If you see something say something.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:47 PM »

'Credible' Terrorist Threat Reported By U.S. Officials (UPDATE) (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/08/credible-terrorist-threat_n_954772.html

Matthew Chandler, spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security, confirmed to The Huffington Post that there is a "specific, credible but unconfirmed threat" of an attack on 9/11.

Based on intelligence gathered from the Osama bin Laden raid in May, al Qaeda "has shown an interest in important dates and anniversaries, such as 9/11," he said. "As we always do before important dates like the anniversary of 9/11, we will undoubtedly get more reporting in the coming days. Sometimes this reporting is credible and warrants intense focus, other times it lacks credibility and is highly unlikely to be reflective of real plots underway.

"Regardless, we take all threat reporting seriously, and we have taken, and will continue to take all steps necessary to mitigate any threats that arise. We continue to ask the American people to remain vigilant as we head into the weekend.”

A US intelligence official told HuffPost, "US counterterrorism entities have been alert for any leads, and for the first time we’ve received specific and credible—but unconfirmed—threat information linked to the 9/11 anniversary. Any and all leads related to possible plots are of course being run to ground, and the US will bring every resource to bear to ensure the security of the American people.”
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 11:22:03 PM »

I don't believe there was a conspiracy.  I believe there were some that planned to demoralize the U.S., thinking we would leave the Middle East.  It didn't work.  It didn't work when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor and it didn't work on 9/11.  Instead of being demoralized, I believe the U.S. came together.  We got hit and hit hard.  Many lives were lost, others wounded and many will never be the same.  But we are still here.  JMHO

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Aurelia7
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 12:59:43 AM »

I don't really think there was a conspiracy either, but when you watch those videos, they make you go "Hmmmmm...what?  Huh?!?"  Then common sense kicks in.  But then you still wonder.  It's my nature to question everything and to look at both sides throughly before deciding upon any conclusion.  I suppose this type of thinking would make me a fair juror, in that I'm always willing to consider both sides without pre-conceived notions or prejudice.

But either way, 9/11 was a horrible and unnecessary ordeal.  I wish we could go back in time and prevent that day from ever happening.  All the stories of lives lost and the families involved are just heartbreaking.  And I would love to, someday, go visit the new memorial to reflect and to pay my respects.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 07:50:52 AM »

http://www.freep.com/article/20110909/NEWS07/109090485/New-threats-to-N-Y-D-C-probed-for-9-11-anniversary?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|FRONTPAGE
New threats to N.Y., D.C. probed for 9/11 anniversary
Info says bridges, tunnels targeted

September 9, 2011

WASHINGTON -- U.S. officials said Thursday they were investigating a credible but unconfirmed threat that al-Qaida was planning to use a car bomb to target bridges or tunnels in New York City or Washington to coincide with the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, the first tip of an active plot around that date.

The Homeland Security Department said the threat is credible and specific but unconfirmed. The nation's terror alert level has not changed, but raising it was under consideration Thursday night.

Law enforcement officials were investigating three people who recently entered the U.S. The threat was received by the U.S. intelligence community late Wednesday night, officials said.
Security has been enhanced around the country in the weeks leading up to the 10th anniversary. Law enforcement officials have been wary, particularly after information gleaned from Osama bin Laden's compound in May indicated that al-Qaida had considered attacking the U.S. on the anniversary and other important dates.

The threat came in a single piece of information and was so specific -- and came at such a time of already heightened alert -- that it could not be ignored. The officials described the threat on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive security matters.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-09/-credible-terrorist-threats-received-new-york-mayor-bloomberg-says.html
NY City Police Search Trucks on 9/11 Threat
September 9, 2011

New York police increased security, including vehicle checkpoints in midtown Manhattan and armed guards in front of the Office of Emergency Management, after receiving credible information that terrorists may be plotting an attack in the city around the Sept. 11 anniversary.

Police cruisers took up positions on a midtown block of Lexington Avenue this morning as officers stopped trucks and other vehicles for inspection. Drivers were made to open the storage spaces of delivery trucks for police. In Brooklyn, U.S. Marshals armed with machine guns guarded the federal courthouse and increased security was observed in front of the nearby city emergency management office.

“We have already had a full complement of people working shifts because of the Sept. 11 anniversary prior to this,” said Jim Margolin, a spokesman for the FBI’s New York office. “We are taking the logical investigative measures to assess this threat.”

The threat concerns a possible al-Qaeda-sponsored attack targeting New York or Washington on or near the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attack, said a U.S. official, who wasn’t authorized to discuss the matter publicly. The official said the intelligence concerns a possible vehicle-borne attack, perhaps on a transportation hub or bottleneck, and cautioned that the options may be broader than a car or truck bombing.
New York police have stopped at least 13 terrorist attacks since 2001, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said. While the killing of al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden has helped reduce the threat, the mayor said, “The one thing we know is the terrorists have not gone away.”

We have threats all the time,” Bloomberg said today during his weekly appearance on WOR radio, after having taken the subway to City Hall from his home on the Upper East Side. “Each time we increase our security, which obviously we had done for this. Are we increasing a little more? Yes, we’re increasing a little more but there’s a limit to how much you can have, just because you can’t have a cop on every corner. But remember, a lot of the precautions we take, you don’t see -- undercover and cameras and radiation detectors, using technology and undercover.”
New York Republican Congressman Peter King, who heads the House Homeland Security Committee, said he was briefed on the threat, which he said was specific and credible.

“All appropriate agencies, the federal government, and state officials and local officials as well, are tracking it down to see if it is real, and if so, how do we stop it,” King said.

Another intelligence official, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said the information hasn’t been fully vetted.

Terrorists view the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Washington as an opportunity to strike again, said Janice Fedarcyk, the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s assistant director in charge of the New York office.

The information of a new plot was specific and credible, though not corroborated, she said at a press conference yesterday with Bloomberg.
More...

Gypsy DD
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 01:10:53 PM »

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20110909/US.Sept.11.Cantor.Fitzgerald/?cid=hero_media

Cantor Fitzgerald: surviving 9/11, and thriving

NEW YORK — It's a name inextricably linked with Sept. 11, with huge, catastrophic loss — Cantor Fitzgerald.

Of the companies and organizations that lost people that day, none was harder hit than the financial services firm that occupied the 101st to 105th floors of the north tower at the World Trade Center. Out of 960 employees in New York, 658 were killed — no employee in Cantor's offices at the time survived. Whole divisions were decimated.

Led by CEO Howard Lutnick, those who were still alive made a decision — the company would survive. They wouldn't let what they had worked so hard to create crumble. And they would honor those they had lost.

"The best way to show someone you love them is to care for the people they love," Lutnick said.

On the day of the attacks, Lutnick was delayed getting to the office because he had taken his son to his first day of kindergarten. That delay spared him. Others escaped the attacks because they happened to schedule an out-of-office trip for that day, or were in the building but hadn't yet made it up to the offices.

When the first plane hit the north tower at 8:46 a.m., it destroyed the stairwells, making it impossible for anyone above the point of impact around the 94th to 98th floors to descend. The north tower collapsed at 10:28 a.m.

Lutnick made it to the scene after the first plane hit and was there when the tower fell. He can still feel and see the horror of that day.

"It was black outside, there was no air outside, so I knew that people inside the trade center couldn't possibly be alive," Lutnick said recently from the company's offices in midtown Manhattan. Among them were his brother, Gary, and his best friend, Doug Gardner, Cantor's CFO.

Very impressive the way this company has responded to 9/11 devasation on both a personal and business level.  They really have been taking care of the families of their co-workers that were killed that day.

"Commit a crime and the world is made of glass."
Ralph Waldo Emerson  1841
Gypsy DD
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/09/national/main20103868.shtml

D.C. bridge closed for suspicious package

(CBS/AP)  WASHINGTON — D.C. police say the Duke Ellington Bridge in northwest Washington is closed while a suspicious package is investigated.

Police spokeswoman Tisha Gant says the call came in around 8:10 a.m. Friday for the bridge that carries Calvert Street over Rock Creek.

Gant says the explosive ordinance team is on the scene. She did not have any further information.

Local authorities in New York and Washington, D.C. are on extra alert both for the 10-year anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, and because of the announcement Thursday night that federal authorities are following "credible but unconfirmed" intel about possible attacks on the two cities.

"Commit a crime and the world is made of glass."
Ralph Waldo Emerson  1841
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.