March 28, 2024, 02:11:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9/11 TEN YEARS LATER  (Read 17908 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 02:31:37 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/09/rise-freedom-boy-in-stairwell-and-broker/
Rise of Freedom: The Boy in the Stairwell and the Broker
September 9, 2011

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 02:41:18 PM »

http://www.policeone.com/police-heroes/articles/4347970-10-years-after-9-11-Cops-who-traded-their-lives-for-our-freedom/
10 years after 9-11: Cops who traded their lives for our freedom
September 9, 2011

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 02:59:28 PM »

http://interactives.kxan.com/photomojo/gallery/984/1/remembering-sept.-11/the-faces-of-9-11/
Remembering Sept. 11
KXAN's Josh Hinkle visited the Sept. 11 Memorial in New York City over the Labor Day Holiday. Here's what he saw.

(Slideshow with 16 pictures)

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 03:37:05 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/images-from-911-and-the-aftermath/2011/09/08/gIQAx9hxEK_gallery.html#photo=32
Images from 9/11 and the aftermath
A look back at the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 03:44:17 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14846156
In pictures: Pentagon before and after 9/11
September 9, 2011
The 9/11 hijackers struck at the heart of the US military when they crashed American Airlines Flight 77 into the world-famous Pentagon building.

All 64 passengers and crew died, as well as 125 civilian and military personnel at work in the building. GeoEye satellite images here show the Pentagon before and immediately after the 11 September attacks and how it looks 10 years on.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 06:05:29 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/09/video-montage-the-twin-towers-immortalized-in-film.html
Video montage: The twin towers immortalized in film
September 9, 2011

Leave it to the Internet to break your heart.

While television anchors and pastors, executives and politicians do their best to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks with thoughtful words and meaningful moments of silence, Dan Meth -- a New York animator and filmmaker who generally works creating humorous videos for the Web -- has put together a deceptively simple, deeply moving tribute to the twin towers by creating a montage of their appearances on film.

Even if you think you've hit the 9/11 memorial saturation point, this video is worth watching.

In a phone interview with The Times, Meth said he spent about eight months working, on and off, on the project -- researching films that featured the twin towers and then editing the footage and working carefully to synchronize the images to music.

The 3-minute, 19-second video, which he titled "Twin Tower Cameos," begins with images from "Hot Rock" (1972) when the towers were not yet complete, and then cuts to the towers alight in all their glory in the 1976 remake of "King Kong."

Meth said the King Kong images are his favorite of the clips he found. "It's not even a movie that people watch anymore, but when the first King Kong was made, the Empire State Building was brand new, and when this remake was made, the Twin Towers were brand new," he said. "I like the symmetry of that."
 ::snipping2::
Meth posted the video on Vimeo, with this note:

From 1969 to 2001, the Twin Towers made countless cameos in Hollywood films. Sometimes featured prominently in the foreground, sometimes lurking in the distance. This montage celebrates the towers' all-too-short film career with songs that capture the passing decades. Man, I miss them.

Video at Link

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 07:00:44 PM »

Thanks Muffy,that was a neat video. 

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 07:09:24 PM »

Thanks Muffy,that was a neat video. 

You're welcome.  I think Dan Meth's tribute to the Twin Towers was very moving. 

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 09:23:54 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/video-little-girl-of-9-11-grows-up-discusses-life-without-hero-mom.html
Video: Little girl of 9/11 grows up, discusses life without hero mom
Yahoo! 9/11 10th AnniversaryBy ABC News | Yahoo! 9/11 10th Anniversary – 8 hrs ago

Beginning at 8:00 AM/ET on Sunday, September 11, Diane Sawyer and George Stephanopoulos will anchor three hours of live special coverage, “9/11: America Remembers Ten Years Later — A Special Edition of Good Morning America."  You can watch that coverage live on Yahoo! http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/watch-the-september-11-memorial-ceremonies-live.

Share your 9/11 memories with us on Twitter - #911remembered

~ Peter Frampton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 09:52:01 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44458317/ns/technology_and_science-space/#.TmrBH2q8sng
On 9/11, astronaut looked down on horrific scene
Culbertson, the only American not on Earth that day, tells of the isolation — and pain

September 9, 2011

NASA file
This photo of metropolitan New York City was taken by an Expedition Three crew member onboard the International Space Station on Sept. 11, 2001. A smoke plume rises from the Manhattan area where the World Trade Center was destroyed. The orbital outpost was flying at an altitude of about 250 miles

The 9/11 terrorist attacks 10 years ago this week sent shockwaves not just around the planet, but into space as well.

The only American not on Earth on that day in 2001, NASA astronaut Frank Culbertson, had a unique vantage point on the attacks. From the International Space Station, Culbertson snapped a photo of smoke streaming from the World Trade Center wreckage that day after two hijacked planes crashed into the Manhattan towers.
"I didn't know exactly what was happening, but I knew it was really bad because there was a big cloud of debris covering Manhattan," Culbertson said in a new video released by NASA for the 10th anniversary of the attacks. "That's when it really became painful because it was like seeing a wound in the side of your country, of your family, your friends."
More...

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2011, 07:09:05 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/a-family-remembers--hero-of-9-11-gave-life-to-save-thousands.html
A family remembers: Hero of 9/11 gave life to save thousands

Rick Resorla
He's been called a "prophet" for being so ready for the attacks, "the Man Who Predicted 9/11" in a History Channel special, and a true American hero by countless others.

As tragic as the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, was, the sky-blue day still held unexpected miracles, and Richard "Rick" Rescorla was at the center of one of the greatest -- the evacuation of financial-services behemoth Morgan Stanley.

~ Peter Frampton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 08:55:31 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-09-09-shanksville-pennsylvania-911-memorial.htm
Flight 93 memorial to be dedicated today
September 10, 2011

The first phase of the memorial dedication today includes a viewing plaza, where visitors can get within 100 yards of the area where the airplane crashed. Only family members can enter the fenced-off crash site. The Wall of Names, marble engraved with the names of the 40 passengers and crew, will be unveiled.

Up to 7,000 people are expected today and Sunday — including almost 800 family members coming from as far away as Japan. It is the only 9/11 site to be open to the general public during the ceremonies. Memorials at Ground Zero and at the Pentagon are by invitation only.

"For the first time in 10 years, the public will be able to get within a few feet of this area and not be so far away," says King Laughlin, vice president of the Flight 93 National Memorial Campaign. "It's really important to create their own emotional bond to this place."
The next phase of the memorial will include a visitor center and Tower of Voices, a 93-foot chamber containing 40 cylindrical wind chimes — each representing a Flight 93 victim. The plan is to include audio testimonials by relatives of the dead and first responders to the crash scene and an exhibit of artifacts from the plane and items left by visitors at the temporary memorial, about half a mile from the crash site.

When the memorial is finished, it will include 40 groves of 40 trees planted over 2,200 acres.
A transcript of the cockpit voice recording is at the memorial. The voice of one of the hijackers is heard ordering passengers to stay put. People believe the killing of one of the passengers or crewmembers can be heard.

What also can be heard is one of the most famous sound bites of the tragic event, one that has come to symbolize Americans' determination to fight terrorism.

Passenger Todd Beamer, helping to lead a passenger takeover was heard over the in-flight telephone saying: "Let's roll!"

The plane crashed shortly after.

The Flight 93 National Memorial Campaign has raised $52 million in public and private funds so far and another $10 million is needed to complete the project.

Former president George W. Bush will speak at the dedication and will join Vice President Biden and Flight 93 families. Also attending Saturday will be former first lady Laura Bush, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar, National Park Service Director Jon Jarvis and Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett. Grammy Award-winning singer and songwriter Sarah McLachlan will perform.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 11:49:24 AM »

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpps/news/hundreds-hold-hands-to-remember-911-dpgapx-km-20110910_14957099
Hundreds Hold Hands To Remember 9/11
September 10, 2011

EW YORK (AP) - Hundreds of people have gathered in lower Manhattan to hold hands in remembrance of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Families, teenagers, and others clasped hands as a bell clanged at 8:46 a.m. Saturday to signify the time the first of two hijacked planes crashed into the World Trade Center's North Tower. The group formed a straight line that snaked along the southern tip of Manhattan and through an exhibition of American flags, displayed to honor the dead.

After a moment of silence, the group broke into applause. Some people cried. Others — including strangers — hugged.

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 01:34:37 PM »

http://www.honorflight93.org/memorial/construction/?fa=live-webcam
Click on "Camera Control" and zoom in and out. When zoomed in, use the joystick or arrows to explore the image. High definition images are updated every 15 minutes.
Sept. 10,2011 1:20 p.m.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/denis-leary-crusades-for-firefighters-after-9-11-loss.html
Denis Leary crusades for firefighters after 9/11 loss
Yahoo! 9/11 10th AnniversaryBy Yahoo! Studios | Yahoo! 9/11 10th Anniversary – 2 hrs 20 mins ago

Comedian, actor and producer Denis Leary portrayed conflicted firefighter Tommy Gavin on the FX Network series "Rescue Me" for seven seasons. The show, which recently ended, examined the lives of New York City firefighters as they struggled to cope with the ever-present shadow of 9/11.
Video at link.

~ Peter Frampton
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2011, 07:25:57 PM »

Presidents George W. Bush & Clinton Honor the Heroes of Flight 93 in Shanksville, PA … September 11, 2001 … 10 Years Later

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2011/09/10/presidents-george-w-bush-clinton-honor-the-heroes-of-flight-93-in-shanksville-pa-september-11-2001-10-years-later/

To the heroes of Flight 93, we remember you and we shall never forget … LET”S ROLL!!!

“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends”

Former Presidents George W. Bush and Bill Clinton spoke today in an emotional event in Shanksville, PA  at the unveiling of the memorial for victims of United Airlines Flight 93. The heroes of Flighty 93 were remembered today by GWB as he said, ” … they left something else, a legacy of bravery and selflessness that will always inspire America. For generations people will study the story of Fight 93.  They will learn that  individual choices make a difference. That love and sacrifice can triumph over evil and hate. And that what happened above this Pennsylvania field ranks among the  most courageous acts in American history.“

Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2011, 07:46:36 PM »

Ten years later and it feels like yesterday.

For those that do not remember, the birth of Scared Monkeys actually came from the ashes of September 11. Tom and I grew up and went to school in the shadows of NYC. We both at different times lived and worked in and near NYC. Mid and uptown Manhattan was once one of my territories. As we both watched that fateful day and were speechless ... we knew that we could no longer keep our heads in the sand, that we had to make our voices be heard and never, never forget the lessons, the costly lessons of 9-11.

Having gone to HS and college in the shadows of NYC, i had alumni die that day as well as a friends wife and their unborn baby. Two very good friends escaped certain death by mere acts of God. My one friend who worked on the 53rd floor. He was late to work that morning because he got caught in traffic bring his daughter to day care. Normally his wife did this task. Thank God got NYC traffic. My other friend was scheduled to be on one of the flights out of Boston but decided not to that day as he wanted to spend time with his family.

Sadly, because the planes were out of Boston so many people from the area we lived in knew folks who died and were members of church congregations. No one could escape the fact that they knew people who died that fateful day.

Thus, 9-11 was the inspiration behind this web site to never say silent, always question, keep your eyes open and remain vigilant.

10 years later ... that inspiration still remains the same.

GOD BLESS those who died and who would later defend out country and give their lives in the war on terrorism.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2011, 08:13:09 PM »

I debated whether to post in this thread as I thought some may view it as an intrusion on what I  consider has become a very sacred day each year to all Americans, and especially so at this ten year anniversary.

But a monkey, whom I greatly respect, encouraged me to post so I will try to give you some idea of how the horror of that terrible event impacted on our special part of the free world.  Because of the time difference it was very early in our morning when the first events were reported on our TV channels.   I was awoken by our telephone ringing and it was a very close friend telling us to get out of bed and switch on the TV as something dreadful was happening in America.  As an aside it was this friend's birthday on 11 September which we had celebrated the previous day (as it was now 12th September here) and she has never enjoyed her birthday since that year as it now associates with so many upsetting memories.  I did as she suggested and could not believe what I was seeing.  I changed channels frequently trying to find an excuse, such as a channel showing a bad movie as I was still only partly awake, but it was repeated over and over on every channel.  Commentators could find no words to describe the scenes being brought to us and it was as though our whole world had become caught in a time warp of endless horror.

I did go to work at the normal time and all we did that day was stand around watching TV in the boss' office, all of us totally stunned and disbelieving.  Juniors were sent out to purchase latest editions of our daily newspapers but they were only able to print sparse details at that stage as a news flash across their headlines and little else detail.  We were dependant on the TV and what the newsrooms could bring us out of what must have been chaotic bulletins.

Those events took a huge toll not only on Americans but also all of us here in Australia.  That day completely changed  our view of ourselves, our world and our way of living.  We also lost our innocence and came to realise we were no longer as safe as we had always believed.  Our beautiful country could also be violated by those who would wish us harm, and since then there have been many such cells uncovered in our midst.  The Bali bombings were the closest we have had to our shores, for which we thank God.

Having said all this, it is still impossible for us to fully understand just how it has impacted on Americans and people of other nationalities that were involved that day or had friends or loved ones lost or injured.  We did lose Australians in those towers and their stories are being told here today.  Many of their families have travelled to New York to be closer during the remembrance ceremonies.

My thoughts and prayers go to all those who lost loved ones.  My prayers and thanks also go to all involved in protecting all of us in the free world, from emergency services to military personnel. 

Special thoughts also to our monkeys San and Angie, who many of our long standing monkey family will remember were involved on that day.

God Bless all of you.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2011, 09:30:02 PM »

Thank you Tib. I found your post very moving.   MuffyBee

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2011, 10:03:42 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/09/10/new.york.911.plant/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

Office plant found at ground zero a symbol of rebirth
This story started on
iReport CNN iReport
By Phil Gast, CNN
September 10, 2011 8:28 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- On September 12, 2001, Gee Rittenhouse, an expert in wireless technology, went to ground zero in search of signs of life.

He found it, but in a form he never could have predicted.

Rittenhouse and other experts were brought in with special equipment after reports that people trapped in the World Trade Center debris were making phone calls, asking for assistance. Those reports later proved false.

On the first night of work, Rittenhouse realized "how compacted the towers were. Immediately, you realized there would not be many (survivable) spaces there."

Toiling in dense dust, Rittenhouse saw a sphere-shaped object, about the size of a softball, that stood out in the shattered remains of the 110-floor towers.

Thinking the ball might be a toy, he picked it up, only to learn the tiny, dense discovery was an office plant root ball that somehow survived the catastrophe. It had no stem or leaves.

Rittenhouse took the roots home and planted them.

The miracle survivor sprouted new leaves.
Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.