April 23, 2024, 06:00:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Climategate "Hiding the Decline of Academic and Scientific Transparency"  (Read 1695 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: September 16, 2011, 02:08:59 PM »

That's what University of Virginia continues to do, as my colleague at American Tradition Institute Chris Horner explains today in Washington Examiner. Earlier this week UVA -- as required by a court order -- delivered records relating to Climategate "Hockey Stick" chart creator Michael Mann that ATI asked for in January under a Freedom of Information Act request. Except the records provided -- less than half of the 9,000 or so records that UVA says are responsive to our request -- were of minimal relevance to Mann's research.

UVA has said it will claim exemptions to protect records of a "proprietary nature," which is irrelevant here under Virginia's FOIA law because all the research Mann did has been published, and therefore public. Obviously missing from the fluffy document dump this week were the already-publicized Climategate emails between Mann, East Anglia pals, and other alarmists...

Obviously Mann is not a lawyer, as there is no exemption in Virginia's FOIA for "private discussions between scientists about science" under taxpayer-funded research and institutions.

read more here - http://spectator.org/blog/2011/08/27/hiding-the-decline-of-academic

Where are the missing emails? 

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 02:13:22 PM »

The school has spent approximately $500,000 to date keeping these records from the taxpayer, who paid for their production to begin with.

The university again labored to avoid releasing correspondence directly addressing the now discredited “Hockey Stick” graph produced while former assistant research professor Michael Mann worked there.

At least 126 of those emails were sent to or from Mann at UVa and were central to ClimateGate, which exposed a purported, now disavowed temperature record, as well as the Hockey Stick and related activities by scientists to keep dissenting work from publication. The emails showed scientists circling the wagons to protect their claims, funding and careers.

read more here - http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/op-eds/2011/08/uva-goes-all-climate-gate-foia-coverup

Where are the emails?  What is the worst thing that could happen if they were released?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.