March 28, 2024, 08:52:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NORTHERN ROSE needs all the prayers she can get  (Read 26041 times)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2011, 09:39:46 AM »

Things are moving along slowly.   He has been taught to swing his legs over the side of his bed and get himself into the sitting position with his brace on which means he can eat real food again.  First request was sushi.

After every new thing he does they do xrays to make sure that nothing has moved especially the bone shards.  So far so good. He has taken a few steps.  He is getting very impatient and wants to try more walking than what they are allowing but also knows that poses dangers with his back. 

Thank you all for your continued prayers.

Wow, excellent news!  You are having to "hold him back".  That's wonderful!  Sushi?  My choice would be more like steak or bacon 
I would have choosen something like crab and then chocolate cake.  I know what you mean.    
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2011, 09:47:54 AM »

Yesterdays xray showed nothing has moved which is good and bad news.  Bone shards in spinal canal have stayed put and not a danger where they are but vertebra have not fused like they had hoped.  He is at home and has to go in for weekly xrays.  Brace stays on for at least another 6 weeks or until vertebrae fuse and then they will decide what to do re surgery. 

His craving yesterday was pumpkin soup and as I was trying to roast the pumpkin in the oven  I noticed my oven packed it in.  Our thanksgiving is this weekend.  Wonder how many days it would take to roast a turkey when your oven only goes to 180?

Lung son is doing well.  His follow up in the 12th.
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2011, 09:57:28 PM »

Yesterdays xray showed nothing has moved which is good and bad news.  Bone shards in spinal canal have stayed put and not a danger where they are but vertebra have not fused like they had hoped.  He is at home and has to go in for weekly xrays.  Brace stays on for at least another 6 weeks or until vertebrae fuse and then they will decide what to do re surgery. 

His craving yesterday was pumpkin soup and as I was trying to roast the pumpkin in the oven  I noticed my oven packed it in.  Our thanksgiving is this weekend.  Wonder how many days it would take to roast a turkey when your oven only goes to 180?

Good to hear from you, Northern.

Good to hear the news you bring about your sons too!

Been thinking of you.

BTW ... you can cook a turkey breast in the microwave oven. I do it all the time. 10 minutes per pound, on a plate with a little water, covered and vented with plastic wrap.

Always very moist and delicious.

Sorry about your oven.

Good to hear your son has a good appetite!

You inspired me to make this for you, Northern!

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2011, 10:26:19 PM »

good to see that your sons are showing improvements Northern..

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2011, 12:02:40 AM »

We have been using our weber BBQ to do our turkeys lately.  We have turkey often.  It only takes about 3 hours unstuffed in the weber for a 15-16lb turkey and it's soooooo good.
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2011, 12:45:16 AM »

That is good news Northern. It's small steps forward but it is going forward. Continued prayers for you and your sons.  Years ago my mom cooked our Turkeys at 160 for 12 to 14 hours. That was before they said you shouldn't cook them at that temp. But we never got sick.    Hope you can get your oven fixed before this week end.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
crazybabyborg
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2011, 12:46:44 AM »

I'm so happy that the one son is doing well, Northern!! 

It sounds like the other son has the potential to recover as well, and you and he are in my thoughts and prayers for a miraculous outcome!!

You have some good suggestions for the turkey here, but I'm no help with that. I fix turkey pretty often, but always brine it first and cook it on a high temperature until it browns before covering the top and then turning down the heat. I watched Alton Brown do it once and it was sooooooo good and fool proof that I haven't done it differently since!

It doesn't matter if you fix peanut butter sandwiches, Northern....... you're going to have a great Thanksgiving! You've come through a lot, and I know, you have a long way to go yet, but every day you're taking it a step at a time and being and doing exactly what you need to do! ATTA GIRL, Northern!! What a blessing you are to your boys!

Thanks for the updates! Please take care of YOU!! 
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2011, 02:48:33 PM »

It sounds like the other son has the potential to recover as well, and you and he are in my thoughts and prayers for a miraculous outcome!!

You have some good suggestions for the turkey here, but I'm no help with that. I fix turkey pretty often, but always brine it first and cook it on a high temperature until it browns before covering the top and then turning down the heat. I watched Alton Brown do it once and it was sooooooo good and fool proof that I haven't done it differently since!

It doesn't matter if you fix peanut butter sandwiches, Northern....... you're going to have a great Thanksgiving! You've come through a lot, and I know, you have a long way to go yet, but every day you're taking it a step at a time and being and doing exactly what you need to do! ATTA GIRL, Northern!! What a blessing you are to your boys!

What she said and Happy Thanksgiving!

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2011, 10:17:02 PM »

From the bottom of my heart I want to thank you.  It has been so difficult and some days it gets overwhelming.  Every day I thank god for being so blessed that I have all my children.  Had one of the vertebra broken 1/2 inch higher I would be dealing with a child in a wheel chair right now.  As things sit now we are so lucky as there is hope.  I do not worry about the future right now or I would be in a loonie bin, I just cherish each day I have my kids and watch both boys recovery and cheer and cry inside as they each get stronger.

The repairman came out yesterday and I have a functional oven   
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2011, 10:17:34 PM »

What she said and Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you Bearly
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2011, 08:30:29 AM »

Northern, I hope for the very best as your two sons follow their paths to recovery.  I'm glad you got your oven fixed and I wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving!! 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2011, 08:59:07 AM »

NorthernRose...monkey hugs and prayers.Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!   

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2011, 09:42:27 AM »

NorthernRose - I am so happy that I keep reading positive things. I continue to keep you in my prayers. Happy Thanksgiving!

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2011, 10:11:03 AM »

Oh, the power of prayer . . . such great news NorthernRose.  Will continue sending thoughts upward as the blessings flow downward.
Happy Thanksgiving!

can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2011, 05:59:15 AM »

Thanksgiving blessings to you and the family. 
Turkey and fixin's Northern style had to be yummy.  Glad your oven got fixed in time.
Continued prayers for your sons. 
xoxo
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »

Turkey and fixin's Northern style had to be yummy.  Glad your oven got fixed in time.
xoxo

Thank you.  Blessing to your family as well.  What I thought was just going to be the immediate family expanded as the day went on and I kept adding chairs to our table.  It was a wonderful day and had one of oldest son's friends join us who is in the army and a friend of other son who would have been alone.

No shortage of food even though I swore to make a very simple dinner.  When my mom came over she was loaded with cabbage rolls, pyrogies and all sorts of other goodies including a Swedish apple torte she made as she was "bored".  Ended the evening with a nice game of Apples to Apples and it felt like a normal get together but with much deeper meaning.

Tomorrow is a big day for lung son.  Gets results of biopsy and recovery status during his follow up appointment.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2011, 10:03:15 PM »

xoxo

Thank you.  Blessing to your family as well.  What I thought was just going to be the immediate family expanded as the day went on and I kept adding chairs to our table.  It was a wonderful day and had one of oldest son's friends join us who is in the army and a friend of other son who would have been alone.

No shortage of food even though I swore to make a very simple dinner.  When my mom came over she was loaded with cabbage rolls, pyrogies and all sorts of other goodies including a Swedish apple torte she made as she was "bored".  Ended the evening with a nice game of Apples to Apples and it felt like a normal get together but with much deeper meaning.

Tomorrow is a big day for lung son.  Gets results of biopsy and recovery status during his follow up appointment.
So glad to hear about such a wonderful feast -- breaking bread together is good for the soul.
Prayers continue for both your sons.

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2011, 04:39:42 PM »

Just got back with lung son from his appointment.

IT'S NOT CANCER   

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2011, 05:26:57 PM »

IT'S NOT CANCER   

an angelic monkey

labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2011, 10:25:59 PM »

IT'S NOT CANCER   

an angelic monkey

Wonderful 

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.