March 28, 2024, 11:32:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aliayah Lunsford, 3yo #1  (Read 371535 times)
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #360 on: December 21, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »

This is very informative and Directly from the NIDA so I'm posting the whole thing...

http://drugabuse.gov/about/welcome/MessageBathSalts211.html

Quote:
Message from the Director on "Bath Salts" - Emerging and Dangerous Products

"Bath Salts", the newest fad to hit the shelves (virtual and real), is the latest addition to a growing list of items that young people can obtain to get high. The synthetic powder is sold legally online and in drug paraphernalia stores under a variety of names, such as "Ivory Wave," "Purple Wave," "Red Dove," "Blue Silk," "Zoom," "Bloom," "Cloud Nine," "Ocean Snow," "Lunar Wave," "Vanilla Sky," "White Lightning," "Scarface," and "Hurricane Charlie." Because these products are relatively new to the drug abuse scene, our knowledge about their precise chemical composition and short- and long-term effects is limited, yet the information we do have is worrisome and warrants a proactive stance to understand and minimize any potential dangers to the health of the public.

We know, for example, that these products often contain various amphetamine-like chemicals, such as methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MPDV), mephedrone and pyrovalerone. These drugs are typically administered orally, by inhalation, or by injection, with the worst outcomes apparently associated with snorting or intravenous administration. Mephedrone is of particular concern because, according to the United Kingdom experience, it presents a high risk for overdose. These chemicals act in the brain like stimulant drugs (indeed they are sometimes touted as cocaine substitutes); thus they present a high abuse and addiction liability. Consistent with this notion, these products have been reported to trigger intense cravings not unlike those experienced by methamphetamine users, and clinical reports from other countries appear to corroborate their addictiveness. They can also confer a high risk for other medical adverse effects. Some of these may be linked to the fact that, beyond their known psychoactive ingredients, the contents of "bath salts" are largely unknown, which makes the practice of abusing them, by any route, that much more dangerous.
 ::snipping2::
Edit to snip article.  MB

Titch, thanks for this information.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:27:00 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #361 on: December 21, 2011, 10:37:24 AM »

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/features/bath-salts-drug-dangers

Quote:
'Bath Salts' Drug Trend: Expert Q&A
Why 'bath salts' are dangerous, though not illegal in all states.
By Matt McMillen
WebMD Feature Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD
Editor's note: On Sept. 7, 2011, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) invoked its "emergency scheduling authority" to control three synthetic stimulants -- mephedrone, MDPV, and methylone -- commonly called "bath salts" or "plant food" and marketed under such names as "Ivory Wave," "Purple Wave," Vanilla Sky," and "Bliss." The DEA plans to make possessing and selling these chemicals, or products that contain them, illegal in the United States.The emergency action will remain in effect for at least a year, during which time the government is expected to call for permanent control of the drugs.

A new designer drug known as “bath salts” has become increasingly popular and increasingly scary. Poison centers across the U.S. have reported growing numbers of calls about the synthetic stimulant, and more and more states are banning the drug. But as of now, there is no federal law prohibiting their sale.
Make no mistake: These are not bath salts like those you would use in your bath.
WebMD talked to Zane Horowitz, MD, an emergency room physician and medical director of the Oregon Poison Center, about what they are and why you should avoid them.

First of all, what are bath salts?

"The presumption is that most bath salts are MDPV, or methylenedioxypyrovalerone, although newer pyrovalerone derivatives are being made by illegal street chemists. Nobody really knows, because there is no way to test for these substances," Horowitz says.

Why are they called bath salts?

"It’s confusing. Is this what we put in our bathtubs, like Epsom salts? No. But by marketing them as bath salts and labeling them 'not for human consumption,' they have been able to avoid them being specifically enumerated as illegal," Horowitz says.
Are bath salts illegal?

"You can find them in mini-marts and smoke shops sold as Ivory Wave, Bolivian Bath, and other names," Horowitz says. "The people who make these things have skirted the laws that make these types of things illegal. While several states have banned the sale of bath salts, ultimately it will have to be a federal law that labels these as a schedule 1 drug, which means it has no medicinal value but a high potential for abuse, and declare them illegal."

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:23:08 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #362 on: December 21, 2011, 10:39:12 AM »

Sister, you're welcome.  an angelic monkey
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #363 on: December 21, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/features/bath-salts-drug-dangers

Quote:
'Bath Salts' Drug Trend: Expert Q&A
Why 'bath salts' are dangerous, though not illegal in all states.
By Matt McMillen
WebMD Feature Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD
Editor's note: On Sept. 7, 2011, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) invoked its "emergency scheduling authority" to control three synthetic stimulants -- mephedrone, MDPV, and methylone -- commonly called "bath salts" or "plant food" and marketed under such names as "Ivory Wave," "Purple Wave," Vanilla Sky," and "Bliss." The DEA plans to make possessing and selling these chemicals, or products that contain them, illegal in the United States.The emergency action will remain in effect for at least a year, during which time the government is expected to call for permanent control of the drugs.

A new designer drug known as “bath salts” has become increasingly popular and increasingly scary. Poison centers across the U.S. have reported growing numbers of calls about the synthetic stimulant, and more and more states are banning the drug. But as of now, there is no federal law prohibiting their sale.
Make no mistake: These are not bath salts like those you would use in your bath.
WebMD talked to Zane Horowitz, MD, an emergency room physician and medical director of the Oregon Poison Center, about what they are and why you should avoid them.

First of all, what are bath salts?

"The presumption is that most bath salts are MDPV, or methylenedioxypyrovalerone, although newer pyrovalerone derivatives are being made by illegal street chemists. Nobody really knows, because there is no way to test for these substances," Horowitz says.

Why are they called bath salts?

"It’s confusing. Is this what we put in our bathtubs, like Epsom salts? No. But by marketing them as bath salts and labeling them 'not for human consumption,' they have been able to avoid them being specifically enumerated as illegal," Horowitz says.
Are bath salts illegal?

"You can find them in mini-marts and smoke shops sold as Ivory Wave, Bolivian Bath, and other names," Horowitz says. "The people who make these things have skirted the laws that make these types of things illegal. While several states have banned the sale of bath salts, ultimately it will have to be a federal law that labels these as a schedule 1 drug, which means it has no medicinal value but a high potential for abuse, and declare them illegal."

BBM
so frightening!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:24:25 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #364 on: December 21, 2011, 10:44:12 AM »

You by me to it, Sister! Io was going to snip that exact part in my next comment to highlight it. Wow, it's scary isn't it? No test yet?
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #365 on: December 21, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »

You by me to it, Sister! Io was going to snip that exact part in my next comment to highlight it. Wow, it's scary isn't it? No test yet?
Really, if a person has committed suicide, who's to know?

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #366 on: December 21, 2011, 10:48:39 AM »

Maybe one of the mods can take your information and put it under "Health Issues" as I doubt we're not the only ones who know so little about this new designer drug.

Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #367 on: December 21, 2011, 11:02:28 AM »

Here's a few noteworthy snippets but this entire article is very informative:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/us/17salts.html?pagewanted=all

An Alarming New Stimulant, Legal in Many States

By ABBY GOODNOUGH and KATIE ZEZIMA
Published: July 16, 2011

Snipped:
Poison control centers around the country received 3,470 calls about bath salts from January through June, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, up from 303 in all of 2010.

“Some of these folks aren’t right for a long time,” said Karen E. Simone, director of the Northern New England Poison Center. “If you gave me a list of drugs that I wouldn’t want to touch, this would be at the top.”

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:28:28 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #368 on: December 21, 2011, 11:07:39 AM »

Ok, I just noticed that the sale of these "bath salts" is illegal here in NJ where I live. If it's illegal, how dis the couple living a few houses away from me purchase them from the gas station right outside of our neighborhood? I called the cops to inquire about this when I heard the story, however nobody followed up with me. I'm going to go on a little adventure today with my trusty iPhone. I'm going to all gas stations and delis and take pictures if I see any of this stuff. Matter of fact, I'm gonna put today's newspaper right next to this stuff with the date showing so the store owners can lie & say nuh unh...
Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #369 on: December 21, 2011, 11:19:49 AM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/22/AR2011012203854.html

Officials fear bath salts becoming the next big drug menace
By Sheila Byrd
Sunday, January 23, 2011

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:29:30 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #370 on: December 21, 2011, 11:36:50 AM »

Ok, I just noticed that the sale of these "bath salts" is illegal here in NJ where I live. If it's illegal, how dis the couple living a few houses away from me purchase them from the gas station right outside of our neighborhood? I called the cops to inquire about this when I heard the story, however nobody followed up with me. I'm going to go on a little adventure today with my trusty iPhone. I'm going to all gas stations and delis and take pictures if I see any of this stuff. Matter of fact, I'm gonna put today's newspaper right next to this stuff with the date showing so the store owners can lie & say nuh unh...
Be careful Titch!

Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #371 on: December 21, 2011, 12:16:35 PM »

Be careful Titch!
I meant to say so the store owners can't lie. It's bad enough they sell biggies & chew to underage kids, now there's this stuff? Supposedly you have to be 18 to purchase bath salts. They need to be illegal everywhere.
Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #372 on: December 21, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=14467134

DEA Announces Emergency Ban on 'Bath Salts'
By LEE FERRAN
September 7, 2011

Snipped:
"They're selling time bombs," Louisiana Poison Control Center Director Dr. Mark Ryan said in the course of the ABC News investigation. "We've had some people show up who are complaining of chest pains so severe that they think they're having a heart attack. They think they're dying... They have extreme paranoia. They're having hallucinations. They see things, they hear things, monsters, demons, aliens."

Snipped:
The DEA emergency ban will take effect in 30 days and will make it illegal to possess or sell mephedrone, methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV) and methylone -- all key ingredients for "bath salts" -- or any products which contain the chemicals for one year while the DEA works with the Department of Health and Human Services to "further study whether these chemicals should be permanently controlled."

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #373 on: December 21, 2011, 12:30:06 PM »

Titch - I think we have plenty of links and information on Bath Salts now.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #374 on: December 21, 2011, 12:32:55 PM »

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #375 on: December 21, 2011, 12:41:52 PM »

This program has already aired  on December 17th and I missed it, but I think it's important they featured Aliayah's case.

http://www.amw.com/missing_children/case.cfm?id=79143
AMW Case File
Aliayah Lunsford

http://www.wowktv.com/story/16352112/aliayah-lunsford-featured-on-americas-most-wanted
Aliayah Lunsford featured on America's Most Wanted
December 19, 2011

Christmas Eve will mark three months since Aliayah Lunsford, 3, was last seen at her home just outside of Weston.

Saturday night, Aliayah was featured on the show America's Most Wanted, a nationally televised program typically known for tracking down fugitives. The show also features missing persons and children cases.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #376 on: December 21, 2011, 12:44:48 PM »

http://www.wdtv.com/index.php/home/local-news/10995-keeping-hope-for-the-holidays-that-aliayah-is-found
Keeping Hope for the Holidays that Aliayah is Found
By Nicole Porter
December 16, 2011

Video at Link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #377 on: December 21, 2011, 12:50:17 PM »

http://**/News/statenews/201112200047
Relatives picket on behalf of missing girl
December 20, 2011

Tina Smith is an aunt of Aliayah Lunsford, who vanished from her Bendale home Sept. 24. No one has been charged, but authorities are treating her disappearance as a crime.

Smith led a protest outside the Lewis County courthouse Monday as Aliayah's parents, Lena and Ralph, attended a hearing with child-welfare officials.

Smith says she wanted them to know the family hasn't forgotten Aliayah.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #378 on: December 21, 2011, 12:52:37 PM »

http://www.wdtv.com/index.php/home/local-news/11073-large-indoor-sale-to-benefit-aliayahs-awareness-campaign
Large Indoor Sale to Benefit Aliayah's Awareness Campaign
Written by Nicole Porter
December 20, 2011

Folks are hosting a large indoor yard sale to keep awareness of Aliayah Lunsford's disappearance out in the public.

The sale will take place at the Weston Moose Lodge on Main Street from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m. from Thursday until Saturday.

The proceeds will benefit the building materials for protection and maintenance of two larges signs with Aliayah's information on them.
More...
Video at Link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #379 on: December 21, 2011, 12:53:57 PM »

http://www.58wchs.com/includes/news_items/7/news_items_more.php?id=22851&section_id=7
Hope Not Missing For Aliayah Lunsford

Saturday marks three months since Aliayah Lunsford disappeared from her home in Lewis County.

Family, friends and volunteers are holding out hope the 3-year-old will be found alive.

"Until we are told otherwise, we need to spread Aliayah's information to a broader band of people other than local people in our community,” said volunteer Patty Bean of Lewis County.

And they're doing that with two billboards placed along I-79. They have a picture of Aliayah, her description and how to contact police.

"She could be anywhere by now. And if people see her picture, they will recognize her if they see her out in the public,” according to Bean.

Those billboards were homemade and must meet state standards in order to remain where they are. That costs money and Bean says they've come up with a way to pay for it.

"We are having a large indoor yard sale to raise the money to buy the building materials to protect these signs,” she said.
More...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.