March 28, 2024, 11:43:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aliayah Lunsford, 3yo #1  (Read 371575 times)
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #460 on: May 18, 2017, 02:46:31 PM »

http://wvmetronews.com/2017/05/18/lunsford-trial-postponed-until-october/

Lunsford trial postponed until October

Email

By Alex Wiederspiel in News | May 18, 2017 at 1:43PM

WESTON, W.Va. — The trial of the former Lewis County woman charged in the death of her then three-year-old daughter in 2011 will be postponed until October.

Judge Jake Reger accepted a motion to continue the trial of Lena Marie Lunsford-Conaway, 34, previously of Pinellas County, Florida and Lewis County, West Virginia, after her defense team filed a motion two weeks prior.

Jury selection will begin October 10. The trial will begin October 12.

2 4 1
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #461 on: May 22, 2017, 09:15:55 AM »

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #462 on: June 23, 2017, 01:13:58 PM »

http://wvmetronews.com/2017/06/23/attorneys-for-lunsford-conaway-seeking-venue-change-file-motion-for-jury-consultant/

Attorneys for Lunsford-Conaway seeking venue change, file motion for jury consultant

By Alex Wiederspiel in News | June 23, 2017 at 1:19PM

CLARKSBURG, W.Va. — The attorneys appointed to represent Lena Marie Lunsford Conaway filed a motion this week to obtain a publicly funded jury consultant.

“We’ve got a very opinionated potential jury panel down there in Lewis County, and we have concerns about Ms. Lunsford’s ability to get a fair trial there,” Tom Dyer said Friday.

Tom and Zach Dyer, representing the 34-year-old former Lewis County native, are hoping, if Judge Jacob Reger approves, the results of this study will provide the necessary evidence to grant their client a change of venue.

“I don’t think anybody involved with the case down at the Courthouse in Lewis County would deny that it’s highly unlikely we’ll be able to pick a jury out of Lewis County,” Dyer said. “So, we’re going to try to address the issue way ahead of time and try to keep a Fall trial date — just in a new location.”

2 4 1
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #463 on: July 10, 2017, 01:30:03 PM »

http://wvmetronews.com/2017/07/10/court-sets-motions-hearing-date-for-lunsford-trial/

Court sets motions hearing date for Lunsford trial

By Brittany Murray in | July 10, 2017 at 12:15PM

WESTON, W.Va. — A motions hearing in the case of Lena Marie Lunsford-Conaway is set for July 27 at 2 p.m. The case will appear before Judge Jake Reger in Lewis County Circuit Court.

Publically appointed Defense Attorney Zach Dyer said this hearing is to rule on the hiring of a jury consultant, and not the change of venue request.

If Judge Reger rules to hire a consultant, the jury consultant will gather a report. A separate ruling will be made for a change of venue afterwards, according to Dyer.

2 4 1
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #464 on: September 20, 2017, 09:04:18 PM »

http://wvmetronews.com/2017/09/20/continuance-requested-in-lunsford-conaway-trial/

Continuance requested in Lunsford Conaway trial

By Brittany Murray in News | September 20, 2017 at 9:14AM

WESTON, W.VA. — A hearing is scheduled for Oct. 5 to consider a motion to continue the trial of Lena Lunsford Conaway on charges connected with the alleged death of her child.

Lewis County Prosecuting Attorney Christina Flanigan filed a motion Tuesday requesting the continuance for Lunsford Conaway’s case, which was originally scheduled for trial Oct. 12.

Lunsford Conaway, 34, formerly of Lewis County, is charged in the 2011 disappearance and presumed death of her then 3-year-old daughter Aliayah Lunsford.

2 4 1
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #465 on: September 24, 2017, 10:07:05 AM »

http://wvmetronews.com/2017/09/20/continuance-requested-in-lunsford-conaway-trial/

Continuance requested in Lunsford Conaway trial

By Brittany Murray in News | September 20, 2017 at 9:14AM

WESTON, W.VA. — A hearing is scheduled for Oct. 5 to consider a motion to continue the trial of Lena Lunsford Conaway on charges connected with the alleged death of her child.

Lewis County Prosecuting Attorney Christina Flanigan filed a motion Tuesday requesting the continuance for Lunsford Conaway’s case, which was originally scheduled for trial Oct. 12.

Lunsford Conaway, 34, formerly of Lewis County, is charged in the 2011 disappearance and presumed death of her then 3-year-old daughter Aliayah Lunsford.

Thank you for the update, SuzieQ.    I'm still hoping and praying there will be justice for Aliayah.   an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #466 on: April 24, 2018, 09:12:44 PM »

http://www.wdtv.com/content/news/No-mercy-recommended-for-Lena-Lunsford-Conaway-480706621.html

No mercy recommended for Lena Lunsford Conaway

Tom Dyer, Lena Lunsford Conaway's defense attorney, speaks to the media after a jury elected not to recommend mercy for his client

No mercy for Lena Lunsford Conaway
Posted: Tue 1:19 PM, Apr 24, 2018  |  Updated: Tue 7:00 PM, Apr 24, 2018

LEWIS COUNTY, W.Va. (WDTV) -- Lena Lunsford Conaway, 35, will spend the rest of her life in prison, after a jury of ten women and two men elected not to recommend mercy to the defendant.

The decision comes a day after the jury found Lunsford Conaway guilty on four counts, including murder, in the 2011 disappearance and presumed death of her three-year-old daughter Aliayah.

If granted mercy, Lunsford Conaway would have been eligible for parole in 15 years.

Prosecuting Attorney Christina Flanigan called several witnesses to the stand Tuesday to express their feelings on a possible mercy ruling.

Vickie Bowen, Lunsford-Conaway aunt and Aliayah’s great-aunt, asked the jury to think about Aliayah when arriving at their decision

“She showed Aliayah no mercy—none—in life or in death,” she said.

Flanigan also called Lewis County Sheriff’s Corporal E.E. Carpenter, FBI Special Agent Fred Aldridge, and State Police Sergeant Shannon Loudin to the witness stand. The three men were case agents for their respective agencies. tasked with investigating Aliayah’s disappearance.

They recommended that the jury not show Lunsford Conaway mercy.

“Please don’t give Lena the chance to hurt anybody ever again,” Corporal Carpenter said.

At the outset of his testimony Tuesday, Sgt. Loudin was visibly upset. He said he held out hope that Lunsford Conaway would apologize and help police find Aliayah's body, but noted that her past behavior indicated she would do no such thing.

"She's not here to do the right thing today," Loudin said. "It's always been about Lena."

Last week, Aliayah’s two older sisters, D.C. and K.C., testified that on the night of September 23, 2011, their mother struck Aliayah on the head with a wooden bed slat, and disposed of her body the next day.

The girls, who were 9 and 11 at the time, said Lunsford Conaway ordered them not to tell anyone of the crime. They didn’t—until they came forward with their claims in October 2016.

Defense Attorney Tom Dyer called only one witness Tuesday. Barbara Harmon-Schamberger, Lunsford Conaway’s former attorney, urged the jury to show the defendant mercy.

She painted a grim picture of Lunsford Conaway’s upbringing at the hands of her father.

Harmon-Schamberger said that as a young girl, Lunsford Conaway was raped consistently by her father.

The former attorney recalled Lunsford Conaway as a loving mother to her children, and asked the jury to show mercy for an act Harmon-Schamberger described as being out of character.

“She is not a monster,” she said, speaking through tears.

But the jury felt differently, coming to a decision of no mercy in only 15 minutes.

Flanigan declined to comment Tuesday. Her office has arranged a press conference at 9 a.m. Wednesday.

Defense attorney Tom Dyer says Lena Lunsford Conaway plans to file an appeal. He would not comment on the details of any potential post-trial motions.

Lunsford Conaway still needs to be sentenced on three other counts. Sentencing will be held Thursday, June 28.

EDIT: This story has been edited to correct a quote from Lunsford Conaway's former attorney.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #467 on: April 25, 2018, 12:19:03 PM »

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.