March 28, 2024, 01:54:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mikey Welsh, former "Weezer" Bass Player Dead at 40  (Read 1999 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: October 09, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-weezer-bass-player-dies-in-chicago-20111009,0,2187723.story
Drug overdose suspected in death of former Weezer bass player
October 9, 2011

uthorities say a drug overdose is suspected in the death of former Weezer bass player Mikey Welsh, who was found in aChicago hotel room Saturday afternoon.

Welsh, 40, was found unresponsive on the floor after failing to check out of his room at the Raffaello Hotel in the 200 block of East Delaware Place at 1 p.m. Saturday, according toChicago Police News Affairs Officer Laura Kubiak.  Hotel staff found him.

Welsh was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:50 p.m., according to the Cook County medical examiner's office. An autopsy is scheduled for later day, but authorities said narcotics are suspected as the cause of death.
ubiak said police are conducting a death investigation.

Weezer is in town for theChicago RiotFest tonight, according to the band's web page, and Welsh was expected to catch their show.

Welsh, 40, of Burlington, Vt., performed with Weezer from 1998 to 2001, leaving after suffering a nervous breakdown, according to the band's website. He eventually established himself in a second career as a painter.

"I'm taking a break from music," he told MetroWest Daily News in 2002. "I really feel the need to reinvent myself and move on, and I couldn't be happier painting. Music is still an important part of my life, but I really have no desire to actually play it."
 ::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 11:07:26 AM »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/10/09/national/a055900D98.DTL&tsp=1
Ex-Weezer bassist Mikey Welsh dies in Chicago
October 9, 2011

Former Weezer bass player Mikey Welsh, who also found success in his second career as an artist, died in a Chicago hotel room, police said Sunday.

Chicago spokeswoman Laura Kubiak said Welsh was supposed to check out of the Raffaello Hotel at 1 p.m. Saturday. When he didn't, hotel staff went to his room, entered it and found him unconscious and not breathing, Kubiak said.

The Cook County Medical Examiner's Office said autopsy results will be available Sunday afternoon. Kubiak said there's nothing to indicate foul play.

Welsh, 40, of Burlington, Vt., performed with Weezer from 1998 to 2001, leaving after suffering a nervous breakdown, according to the band's website. He eventually established himself in a second career as a painter.

"I'm taking a break from music," he told MetroWest Daily News in 2002. "I really feel the need to reinvent myself and move on, and I couldn't be happier painting. Music is still an important part of my life, but I really have no desire to actually play it."

Weezer posted a message on its website, saying Welsh's time with the band was "vital, essential, wild, and amazing."

::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.