April 16, 2024, 02:43:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Med question  (Read 7540 times)
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2007, 01:03:31 AM »

IBE,  I've been on Effexor XR for about 4 yrs and xanax too because I used to have anxiety attacks sending me to the hospital.  I've wondered about Cymbalta, since it treats the physical part of the pain.  I've been so afraid to change meds. because I haven't had an anxiety attack for awhile now.

But I too saw those commercials and wondered about Cymbalta.  I may check with my Dr. next appt.

Depression runs in my family.  It went untreated for my mother and sister, because of the generation (sister 19 yrs. older than I), but I am so glad they recognize and can treat it now.  It's been a life saver for me.  Both of my kids have been treated for depression, but no longer on meds.  My Dr. has me on 225 mg, and I have reduced it to without his knowledge right now.  I want so bad to wean off and not have to take meds. but fear I will need forever.   But if it's the Effexor making me sweat, maybe I should talk to Dr. about switching to Cymbalta.

Thanks for info.  and yes, more people do need to be more educated about depressions dibilitating effects.  I know some people can  can  be strong, like I tried for years, until I almost had a nervious breakdown and had my anxiety attacks.  Depression can turn into physical symptoms and I didn't even know that's what it was at the time.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2007, 01:22:26 AM »

I feel the need to debunk some perceptions of those who may be reading from the outside.  Depression can hit anybody at anytime.  It can be caused from a traumatic experience, or it can be chemical imbalance and can be hereditary.  But most importantly, it can impact anybody, of any age, race, sex and life style, educated or not.   I think of posters from the dark sides who make fun of monkeys, saying we are old, no life, blah blah blah.  But I am 43, 2 grown daughters and a grandson who have kept me busy and givem me much happiness.  I have a BA in business and computer science and have a job of 21 yrs.   So just to let those who may judge know the truth about depression.  It CAN hit anybody at any time for no apparent reason, or even an obvious reason.  

I'm so thankful to be a Monkey, with so many loving, nonjudgemental people who truly care.   So we are on meds.!  Guess were all pretty normal, huh?  Wink   Love you all!

Marlee, would like an update too.  Hope these posts have helped.  I know I've learned some things here.

IBE,  I meant to mention, I have heard that Ambient has done that to others too.  Loss of memory.  There was a lady on the radio the other day speaking of how she got up ate and rode a tractor around one night.  When her daughters told her the next morning, she had no recollection of it.  It can be dangerous.  My Dr. gave me Trazadone for sleep for when I need it.  It's another type of anti-depressant, but knocks me out and much safer.

Marlee
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2007, 12:14:24 PM »

Dihannah1 said:
I'm so thankful to be a Monkey, with so many loving, nonjudgemental people who truly care. So we are on meds.! Guess were all pretty normal, huh?  Love you all!

I second that sediment Dihannah1!

It's nice to have people that understands what depression is and be able to talk about it.  It's one of those things that a person cannot understand unless they have been or going through it.

Yesterday I asked my pharmacist if there was anything that could counteract the sweating and he said that there is but the side effects from that are worse than the sweating. So sweating it is!

Depression can be such a debilitating thing and I am just glad that there are meds and people that can help a person feel somewhat normal again.  I read that back in the old days if someone was depressed (they didn't know what depression was at the time) the family would think that the person was just crazy and lock them away.  Thank God things have changed! Razz

There have been times where I felt strong enough to get off anti-depressants and did well. As BB said you do have withdrawls so you have to go slow. Then another major blow to my world would throw me for a loop and back on I go. I too think I will have to be on them the rest of my life but am accepting of that.  

Thank you Monkey friends for the lift in spirits.  I think it was CBB who said the other day about this being a place to be able to come to where it feels like being a part of a family when you don't have much outside family.  It is like that.  There are so many caring people on this forum and I am honored to feel like I am a part of it.

Marlee
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2007, 01:28:45 PM »

marlee.... i have been thinking about a drug that may help decrease sweating but at the same time help some other ailment. Most of these are under the category of Anti-Cholinergics...they all al have the side effects of thirst,decreased urination,constipation...etc....in other words dry up your fluids so to speak
exp.....Reglan or generic Metoclopramide used for stomach ailments....abdominal discomfort,cramping, etc.
Detrol LA or a cheaper one Oxybutynin for urinary frequency.
of course...any anthistamine
just a thought?
and i agree...monkeys sure are helpful in times of need Wink
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2007, 08:15:15 PM »

Dihannah1,

Thanks for your posts on depression. Mine is genetic. I was born that way. Mine got worse and worse and I finally had to consult a shrink in 1990 when I was 46 years old.

In all my years of personal experience trying every antidepressant on the market, I found Effexor to be the absolute worse one of them all. It made my heart race too fast and it made me hungry all the time. So one side effect of Effexor is weight gain. Not to mention that it also screwed up my mind. This is just my own personal experience. I know lots of people who take Effexor with no problems other than weight gain.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2007, 08:52:39 PM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Dihannah1,

Thanks for your posts on depression. Mine is genetic. I was born that way. Mine got worse and worse and I finally had to consult a shrink in 1990 when I was 46 years old.

In all my years of personal experience trying every antidepressant on the market, I found Effexor to be the absolute worse one of them all. It made my heart race too fast and it made me hungry all the time. So one side effect of Effexor is weight gain. Not to mention that it also screwed up my mind. This is just my own personal experience. I know lots of people who take Effexor with no problems other than weight gain.

I took it for 2 years.. no wieght gain.. actually I think I lost weight on it.
 It calmed my anxiety some.. but did not make my problems then go away. I went to counseling alone. I did have bad nightmares while on it though.  Shocked   I havn't been on anything since. it was a bad time in my life.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2007, 10:37:35 PM »

I guess I should post my meds, too.

1) 60 mg Celexa (it doesn't come in 60 mg so I get 45 pills of 40 mg per month)
2) 10 mg of Ritalin (I do not have ADD but whatever happened in my brain, I need Ritalin to connect my thoughts)
3) 400 mg Trazadone to sleep (it puts me to sleep but does not keep me asleep)

I used to take the max dose of Prozac, which really saved my life. But after some years it stopped working so I had to change to Celexa.

Now I think I've found the medical formula that is right for me. Plus I have saved up extra pills and can take a higher dose than prescribed if necessary. I am very closely in touch with my body. I know what I need and when I need it.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2007, 10:46:06 PM »

It's strange how each one effects different people.  I too have tried a number of them.  The worst for me was Zoloft.  I was a walking zombie and all I wanted to do was sleep.  I would come home from work, lay down to just take a nap and could not wake up.  My family and friends were very concerned about me.  I didn't realize at first that was what was causing it, so I took myself off years ago.   I went without meds. for years, then had no choice but to get back on.  But in the mean time, there were so many new ones out, like Effexor, that worked.  

My oldest daughter took it Effexor for awhile and had the same symptoms as LV did.  So it's a good thing there are a variety for different people.

Marlee, your right, we all would have been considered crazy at one time!  Shocked   When I was young, my mother took what was called "mothers little helper" back in those days, valium.  It kept her calm, but didn't help the depression or real symptoms.

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.