April 19, 2024, 05:41:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jhessye Shockley, 5yrs old Phoenix AZ, missing since 10/11/11 - Mother convicted/body not found  (Read 62849 times)
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2011, 08:12:59 AM »

I just read this and it made me sooo angry http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/127825/jhessye_shockleys_mom_made_a?next=11 " Jhessye Shockley's Mom Made a Mistake Any of Us Could Make ", do you guys leave your kids home alone to run errands? I wouldn't dream of it! And with that article and the comments it seems people do that and think it's ok. Is it just me or is it really ok to leave small and young kids home alone?

NEVER!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:25:23 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2011, 08:45:42 AM »

read this..he comments are not very sympathetic towards this mother.,,
the father/step father (?) to this womans kids is in prison for being a sex offender! these kids have no chance unless they are taken from this home imo...

http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=ApB7YEaZmQ3NimZOhu8wJIKbvZx4;_ylu=X3oDMTJmcTBlZGRxBGNwb3MDNQRlZAMxBGcDaWQtNzIzMzUyBGludGwDdXMEc2VjA2luX25ld3MEc2xrA253cy10aXRsZQR0ZXN0AzcwMQR3b2UDMTI3ODQ0Nzc-/SIG=133i0obvj/EXP=1319632815/**http%3A//news.yahoo.com/police-family-odds-az-girl-remains-missing-195600415.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:25:44 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2011, 08:46:36 AM »

not sure that link works..sorry...but it is on yahoo headlines
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:26:05 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2011, 09:09:14 AM »

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/local/shockley-case-10242011
Missing Girl's Mom: 'Bring My Baby Home'
Police, family at odds as girl remains missing
October 24, 2011

PHOENIX - Nearly two weeks after a 5-year-old girl seemingly vanished outside her suburban Phoenix home, police were no closer Monday to figuring out what happened to her as her family criticized the investigation.

Jahessye Shockley has been missing since Oct. 11 after police believe she wandered from her apartment in Glendale, outside Phoenix, while her mother was running an errand. The girl's three older siblings were the last to see her.

Police have no evidence, suspects or promising leads, but the case points to a kidnapping because they found no trace of her after combing a 3-mile radius around her home.

"This little girl doesn't just fall off the face of the earth," Glendale police Sgt. Brent Coombs said Monday.

More than 100 officers and volunteers have looked in pools, garbage bins, and shrubs, interviewed and searched the homes of registered sex offenders in the area, and stopped at every door to spread news about the disappearance.

But Jahessye's family said that they don't believe that police have given her disappearance enough attention because she's black and her mother has a criminal history.

"We feel that law enforcement is not active in finding Jahessye and that they're more active in persecuting me instead of finding out where she is," said Jerice Hunter, Jahessye's mother.

In October 2005, Hunter and her then-husband George Shockley were arrested in California in a child abuse case. Hunter pleaded no contest to corporal punishment and served about four years in prison before she was released on parole in May 2010. Hunter's oldest child, 14 at the time, told police that his mother routinely beat the children.

George Shockley is a convicted sex offender and is still in a California prison.

Hunter condemned members of the media at a demonstration for her daughter on Monday at the state capitol in Phoenix, saying that they're too focused on her past and that she didn't know Shockley was a sex offender until his arrest.

State Child Protective Services removed Hunter's three other children from her home following Jahessye's disappearance but refused to say why.

Glendale police say that Hunter, who is eight months pregnant, is not a suspect and that police had nothing to do with the state's decision to take the children.
Hunter was joined by about a dozen family and friends at the demonstration, during which they held up signs with Jahessye's photo and begged for Gov. Jan Brewer's attention on the case.

Coombs said that Jahessye's race has no effect on their efforts to find the girl and that the department has treated her family the same as they would treat any family in a missing child case -- by repeatedly interviewing them for new details.

He said detectives are aware of Hunter's criminal record, but "it cannot cloud the issue or make them tunnel-visioned." "They have to keep an open mind and look at every detail that comes in," he said.

Coombs has repeatedly said that the case is the department's No. 1 priority, that dozens of investigators were working the case and that the department would not stop until she's found. Detectives were focused on following tips from the public and going over the information they've collected so far, he said.

Coombs said that it's very important for the public to realize that Jahessye may not look the same as she does in pictures of her that have been released.

"If I were an abductor or someone who has possession of her and I want to remain anonymous and I want to move about easily, I would alter her appearance as much as I could, even to the point of making her look like a little boy," he said.

Jahessye's case has drawn comparisons to the 1999 case of another Arizona girl, 11-year-old Mikelle Biggs. Mikelle vanished on Jan. 2, 1999, as she waited for an ice cream truck near her family's home in Mesa; all that was left behind was a bicycle and two quarters. She remains missing.
 ::snipping2::
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:26:23 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2011, 09:09:54 AM »

www.facebook.com/find.jahessye
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:26:39 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2011, 09:36:27 AM »

thanks Muffers!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:26:57 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2011, 03:00:45 PM »

Sterilization.  I like that idea.

You know, it really pains me to see hoops that adoptive parents have to jump through to prove that they are fit to adopt a child.  Yet anyone, and I mean ANYONE, can just have a baby any time they feel like it regardless of their mental health status, criminal history, finances, etc.  It's rather odd that you need a license to drive a car but not to have a baby.  I'm not suggesting that people should have to apply to breed nor am I saying that breeders should be screened, but I think it should be required that all new parents take some sort of parenting classes.  
I vote that your post be awarded "Best post of the week"!!!  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:27:16 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »

I just read this and it made me sooo angry http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/127825/jhessye_shockleys_mom_made_a?next=11 " Jhessye Shockley's Mom Made a Mistake Any of Us Could Make ", do you guys leave your kids home alone to run errands? I wouldn't dream of it! And with that article and the comments it seems people do that and think it's ok. Is it just me or is it really ok to leave small and young kids home alone?

NEVER!
I just started letting my 13 year old (almost 14) stay home if I ran to the store. But even at that age, it makes me very nervous.  I call him 3-4 times while I am at Target. He has strict rules not to open the door to anyone and knows what to do if the house were to catch fire. I do trust him, but I would not leave our youngest (8 years old) for him to care for while I am gone. I may be a little paranoid but I will not go against my mothers intuition. It has never failed me. I would rather be safe than sorry.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:27:35 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2011, 03:16:33 PM »

01:36 PM ET
October 25, 2011

http://nancygrace.blogs.cnn.com/

Mom Begs for Missing 5-Year-Old’s Return at Rally

Jerice Hunter urged whoever has her daughter, Jhessye Shockley, to drop her off someplace safe, saying, “Please bring my baby back home…She’s scared. She’s scared. Please, I know she’s scared.”

When asked by a KNXV reporter if she had harmed Jhessye, though, Hunter responded loudly, “"It is very unfair to ask me that. Do I look like I hurt my daughter? Do I look like I hurt my daughter? Do I look like I hurt my daughter?"

She claimed that Glendale police have not done enough to find Jhessye, who she reported missing two weeks ago when she returned from running an errand and the girl was gone from their apartment. Monday’s rally was intended to raise public awareness of the case.

“My baby could be anywhere by now because they refused to believe that this black woman didn’t do nothing to her child,” Hunter said.

Hunter also criticized the media for bringing up her past, which includes pleading no contest to charges of causing injuries to her older children in California in 2006. At the time, she admitted to whipping one of her kids with an extension cord, according to court documents obtained by KNXV.

During Monday’s rally, Hunter complained about the decision by Child Protective Services to remove her other children from her home.

“You done locked my other kids away like primates in a laboratory,” she said.

Jhessye’s grandmother, Shirley Johnson, attended a hearing on custody of the children on Monday, according to KPNX, but she was not allowed to discuss what happened afterward.

Johnson and Hunter have alleged that police and the media are not devoting enough resources to Jhessye’s case because she is black. Police spokesman Sgt. Brent Coombs adamantly denied that allegation last week, saying authorities do not care about a missing child’s race or nationality. They just want to find her.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:27:56 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2011, 03:20:03 PM »

OT- Hi Alien! (I giggle every time I see your profile picture...so cute)

I was curious if you could update us (if you haven't already) on the 17 year old young man in Canada that was missing. There were reports of a body found though not ID. as of yet. Thanks so much an angelic monkey
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:28:20 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2011, 03:23:23 PM »

I was curious if you could update us (if you haven't already) on the 17 year old young man in Canada that was missing. There were reports of a body found though not ID. as of yet. Thanks so much an angelic monkey

Sorry Alien, I see that you had already posted that you were checking on the status of the young guy. Again, thanks for any updates.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:28:43 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

cadillac
Monkey Junky

« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2011, 03:28:27 PM »

I was driving through AZ the day this child went missing.  There were Amber Alerts all along the highway.  When we stopped for gas and snacks, there were printouts at the cash registers asking if anyone had seen this child.

This is so sad.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:29:01 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Alien
Scared Monkey

« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2011, 04:09:19 PM »

Sorry Alien, I see that you had already posted that you were checking on the status of the young guy. Again, thanks for any updates.

Hi cartfly,

I know, cute as a button isn't it   I still haven't heard back from Jordan's mum but as soon as she gets back to me I'll post the update.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:29:19 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity
Alien
Scared Monkey

« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2011, 04:14:54 PM »

NEVER!
I just started letting my 13 year old (almost 14) stay home if I ran to the store. But even at that age, it makes me very nervous.  I call him 3-4 times while I am at Target. He has strict rules not to open the door to anyone and knows what to do if the house were to catch fire. I do trust him, but I would not leave our youngest (8 years old) for him to care for while I am gone. I may be a little paranoid but I will not go against my mothers intuition. It has never failed me. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Well, if you are paranoid so am I, I drag my kids with me everywhere even though my 7 yo says that he would be fine to stay home alone while I go shopping. Never I would let that happen.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:29:39 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2011, 09:31:12 PM »

I'm paranoid with my kids too.  My hubby insisted that I start letting them stay home alone for brief periods.  But, I'm on the cell with them the whole time so it's almost like I'm there.  They also aren't allowed to unlock the doors, let the blinds up, answer the door, or tell anyone on the landline that I'm anywhere other than the toilet.  Also, my neighbors (within seeing distance) have been alerted to what's going on.  lol

It sounds extreme, but really, times are not what they used to be even in rural areas.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:30:01 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

These are my opinions and subject to change.
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2011, 11:03:12 PM »

I'm paranoid with my kids too.  My hubby insisted that I start letting them stay home alone for brief periods.  But, I'm on the cell with them the whole time so it's almost like I'm there.  They also aren't allowed to unlock the doors, let the blinds up, answer the door, or tell anyone on the landline that I'm anywhere other than the toilet.  Also, my neighbors (within seeing distance) have been alerted to what's going on.  lol

It sounds extreme, but really, times are not what they used to be even in rural areas.
You are so right, our world has changed so much.....it is saddening  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:30:20 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2011, 11:07:43 PM »

So she tries to say she's not getting enough media attention because Jahessye is black and in the same breath claims she's getting too much attention?  Can't have it both ways.

This is exactly why this case isnt' getting as much attention.  When the parents have records and act guilty people assume the child is dead.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:30:34 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Jerseygirl345
Monkey Junky

« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2011, 11:28:52 PM »

"I feel like they're [the media] covering me instead of my daughter because it's a juicy story for them and they want to get ratings," Hunter said at the Capitol Monday. "Because I wouldn't speak to them initially, they decided they would draw me out by demonizing me."

Hunter, who is eight months pregnant, said she returned home from running an errand to find Shockley gone. Police say Hunter is not a suspect, and they don't know if the girl walked out of the home on her own or if she was abducted.

Child protective services took custody of Hunter's three other children the day after Shockley was reported missing. The children's grandmother, Shirley Johnson, was in juvenile court Monday seeking to take them home with her.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/10/25/Missing-girls-mom-wants-national-search/UPI-90491319587000/#ixzz1br33pl3g
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:30:49 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Jerseygirl345
Monkey Junky

« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2011, 11:32:54 PM »

Relatives of missing Arizona girl march on state Capitol..

According to 2006 court documents, Hunter was “accused of torturing her 7-year-old daughter and of causing corporal injuries to three of her other children,” ABC News reports.

A son told police that he and his siblings received beatings several times a week for years, according to ABC.

Hunter’s ex-husband, George Shockley, also took part in the abuse, ABC cites police as saying. George Shockley is serving time for a sex offender conviction.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/usa-today-news/2011/10/25/relatives-of-missing-arizona-girl-march-on-state-capitol/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:31:07 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2011, 03:18:55 PM »

Mods~ Is it possible to correct the name. I just noticed from this photo that it is spelled differently. I am thinking the mother of the year couldn't remember how to spell it...... <snarky snarky>
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:31:21 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.