March 28, 2024, 12:57:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amish and Poverty  (Read 3537 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: October 15, 2011, 12:33:32 PM »

The Amish live simple lives.  I've never seen news stories of Amish buying and replacing cell phones every other month, living on welfare, collecting food stamps, or complaining about the educational system.

The Amish live simple lives.  When I think of them, I think of people who grow and store their own food, bake their own bread, make their own clothing.  They don't have cable, computers, cars, and health insurance. 

For some reason, they manage to live without all these 'necessities'.  Why is that?

The Amish live simple lives.

They pay and make arrangements for payment when they use the healthcare system.  When they need a ride a long distance, they pay someone to drive them.  Ever hear of an 'Amish' van? 

They don't have central heating in their homes, they don't have hot water heaters or on demand water heaters, they live without electricity.

I never hear of the Amish on TV complaining about living in poverty.  I never hear the Amish on TV demanding more government handouts.  Why is that?

The Amish live simple lives.

Instead of asking for more and more handouts, why aren't the askers living simple lives?  Working for what they want to acquire?  Food?  Shelter?  Transportation?

The Amish live simple lives.  For some reason, some folks think the world owes them a lavish living.  Why is that?  What's wrong with the simple life?

just my humble opinion

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 01:09:31 PM »

You are so right.  We have a few Mennonite communities in our area.  I've gotten to know some of these families through our home school experience.  Amazing people.  They live a life where they don't purchase anything unless they can pay for it right then.  They are some of the most creative people.  They can sew, build furniture, cook.  I've been very impressed with how the kids can find ways to entertain themselves with music and games.  I've told hubby that I wished we lived closer so that I could learn from these families more than I do now.

My late m-i-l grew up during the Depression.  I've heard so many stories about how they never had anything until after the Hover Days, as she called them.  Then, the govt started providing food and jobs.  She really bought into the lie that the govt owed it to the people.  So much so, that she never planned for her 'retirement' years.  They never had a savings acct, or emergency fund.   Her later years were filled with anxiety over taking care of herself so that she could stay out of a nursing home.  It was really sad.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.