March 19, 2024, 03:07:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #60 04/23/12- 04/22/13  (Read 448323 times)
BabsKats
Monkey Junky

« Reply #160 on: June 02, 2012, 11:13:07 PM »

Klaas or Muffy, just saw this in the news and haven't found a thread started.  Wasn't sure where to go with it so am leaving for one of you to do with if you will:

One month old Infant found dead in trunk, father arrested. 

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/crime/fl-baby-josiah-folo-20120602,0,1561413.story?page=1
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #161 on: June 02, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »

Klaas or Muffy, just saw this in the news and haven't found a thread started.  Wasn't sure where to go with it so am leaving for one of you to do with if you will:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/crime/fl-baby-josiah-folo-20120602,0,1561413.story?page=1

So sad!!  I've started a thread in "Crimes Against Children, Elderly and Disabled":

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=13182.msg1527742#msg1527742

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
BabsKats
Monkey Junky

« Reply #162 on: June 02, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »

So sad!!  I've started a thread in "Crimes Against Children, Elderly and Disabled":

Thankyou Muffy, Where are all these sickos coming from.  Seems there is so much more of  these horrible incidents happening almost daily.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2012, 12:06:19 AM »

Thankyou Muffy, Where are all these sickos coming from.  Seems there is so much more of  these horrible incidents happening almost daily.

You're welcome Babs.  I see case after case of terrible abuse of children, those with disabilities and elderly persons.  At first it seemed  there were so many because of the improvements in communication and the media over the years.  But now I am wondering if some people just don't have a conscience, that they don't care about right or wrong. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2012, 10:30:17 AM »

You're welcome Babs.  I see case after case of terrible abuse of children, those with disabilities and elderly persons.  At first it seemed  there were so many because of the improvements in communication and the media over the years.  But now I am wondering if some people just don't have a conscience, that they don't care about right or wrong. 

I thought like you Muffy the reason we were seeing all these horrible cases was because of instant communications. Without getting on a soap box I believe our society has become such a throw society from goods to human life. People don't take responsibility for their actions any more. We see it daily. There is always an excuse way or they blame someone else for their actions.  I don't believe many are being taught right from wrong at home any more. At least not they way we were taught. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #165 on: June 03, 2012, 01:25:47 PM »

I was a little surprised at the outcome of the John Edward's trial too, but more than anything, he's guilty of being a jerk. Through the public trial, we all learned just how much of a jerk he is, and in many ways he'll serve under that sentence for life. The stuff that has come to light will follow him for the rest of his life, IMO.

Did anybody watch the "Hatfield and McCoys" 3 night mini series on The History Channel? I had to record it and catch it when I could, but Kevin Costner did a great job in it and I learned a lot! I always thought the feud was more legendary and folklore than anything else and probably blown all out of proportion, but I was wrong! Some of the basis for the feud went to the US Supreme court! The full episodes are watchable on the History Channel's website, and I'd recommend it to anybody with any interest at all. It was a great cast too and very well documented.

I hadn't seen it (of course DH had lol) so I watched it all online last night.  Loved it!

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
crazybabyborg
« Reply #166 on: June 04, 2012, 02:49:20 AM »

I thought like you Muffy the reason we were seeing all these horrible cases was because of instant communications. Without getting on a soap box I believe our society has become such a throw society from goods to human life. People don't take responsibility for their actions any more. We see it daily. There is always an excuse way or they blame someone else for their actions.  I don't believe many are being taught right from wrong at home any more. At least not they way we were taught. 

I agree, GE. The fundamental "rights and wrongs" are giving way to blaming others, entitlement, and "my way by any means." It's so very sad and the tragedies just keep coming and coming. Somehow children seem to be targets. Maybe it's because those with dark hearts can't handle the innocence of a child. It's heartbreaking.
Harleycolt
Scared Monkey

« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2012, 05:11:36 PM »

I was a little surprised at the outcome of the John Edward's trial too, but more than anything, he's guilty of being a jerk. Through the public trial, we all learned just how much of a jerk he is, and in many ways he'll serve under that sentence for life. The stuff that has come to light will follow him for the rest of his life, IMO.

Did anybody watch the "Hatfield and McCoys" 3 night mini series on The History Channel? I had to record it and catch it when I could, but Kevin Costner did a great job in it and I learned a lot! I always thought the feud was more legendary and folklore than anything else and probably blown all out of proportion, but I was wrong! Some of the basis for the feud went to the US Supreme court! The full episodes are watchable on the History Channel's website, and I'd recommend it to anybody with any interest at all. It was a great cast too and very well documented.

I hadn't seen it (of course DH had lol) so I watched it all online last night.  Loved it!
You can

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2012, 11:09:23 PM »

Welcome Harleycolt

Yes you can watch it on line if you to to the History Channel on line and but in the Hatfields and McCoys. Hope that helps.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
flutter1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #169 on: June 06, 2012, 08:41:07 AM »

I thought like you Muffy the reason we were seeing all these horrible cases was because of instant communications. Without getting on a soap box I believe our society has become such a throw society from goods to human life. People don't take responsibility for their actions any more. We see it daily. There is always an excuse way or they blame someone else for their actions.  I don't believe many are being taught right from wrong at home any more. At least not they way we were taught.  ::MonkeyNoNo::C

I agree, GE. The fundamental "rights and wrongs" are giving way to blaming others, entitlement, and "my way by any means." It's so very sad and the tragedies just keep coming and coming. Somehow children seem to be targets. Maybe it's because those with dark hearts can't handle the innocence of a child. It's heartbreaking.

I agree with you all.  We have a society that is based on relativism -- no right or wrong.  We also have lost the smallest component of a civilization, the family unit.  Children are being raised by the government, in which everything is relative, instead of 2 parents

A joyful heart is the health of the body, but a depressed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22 NAB

We don`t know who the monsters are.  And as a parent, our job is to take care of our children. Ken Fries, Sheriff Allen County commenting on the death of Aliah
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #170 on: June 06, 2012, 09:11:31 AM »

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #171 on: June 06, 2012, 09:16:17 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-06-06/new-york-census-name-search/55416170/1
1940 New York Census records are now searchable by name
June 6, 2012

NEW YORK (AP) – Americans are in for a cyber-surprise on Wednesday: They'll be able to plug family names into an online 1940 U.S. Census and come up with details about the lives of New Yorkers— from Joe DiMaggio and Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy to their own relatives.
Starting after midnight, it will no longer be essential to provide exact addresses from seven decades ago to look for a New York connection.

With names, free searches of the 1940 U.S. Census first made public in April will unlock personal information about residents of New York — then the largest U.S. state and an immigrant hub from which people moved all over the country.
ensus experts say the New York data is of national interest because tens of millions of Americans have roots in this gateway to the United States through Ellis Island, and many can now dig for more personal information.

"That's the exciting aspect about this — the ability to search the lifetime of our mothers and fathers," said Debra Braverman, a New York-based independent forensic genealogist with clients seeking information for trust funds and estates.

When the Census was first released, "if you didn't know exactly where someone lived in 1940, you couldn't find them," Braverman said.

Indexing by name is crucial to cracking the until-now closed book of that year's Census, which by law could not be released for 72 years and is therefore the most recently available one.

This U.S. Census leads to China.

Some of the work of transcribing handwritten Census records into a computerized index was done by workers in an office outside the southern city of Dongguan with "very strong character recognition abilities," said Todd Jensen, who heads the document preservation service at Ancestry.com, a Provo, Utah-based family history company that's releasing the online New York Census for 1940 using their new name index.

"Given the complexity of their own language, reading and recognizing characters from other languages comes easier," he said.

Also Wednesday, another historic treasure trove appears on the Internet for the first time: Census information compiled separately by New York state for 1915 and 1925, indexed by name. These records include details about famed personalities such as Lauren Bacall, Al Capone, Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Houdini, who according to the 1925 Census was born in the United States, even though most biographies say he was born in Hungary.

The interest in roots is so intense that 37 million hits temporarily crashed the National Archives provider site when the 1940 Census was released on April 2. Many who logged on hoping for results hit the wall, frustrated for lack of specific locations required for results.
 ::snipping2::
The New York world of the 1940 Census includes names that later became famous, including Katharine Hepburn, John D. Rockefeller Jr., J.D. Salinger, Kennedy and Ella Fitzgerald.

The 1940 Census by name index will be available for all states possibly as early as this fall.

While New York is the biggest state whose Census records are already name-indexed, a number of smaller states also have been made name-accessible by Ancestry.com and two other companies, FamilySearch.org and MyHeritage.com.

New York state censuses for 1915 and 1925 are available online for the first time via a link that says "find family history for free" to anyone providing a New York ZIP code and email address.

The state censuses show "every New Yorker from the famous to the infamous to everybody in between," said Kathleen Roe, director of archives and records management at the New York State Archives.

The censuses released this week offer "one of the greatest collections of historic voices you'll ever find," said Roe, adding that if read together, they trace whole families as they move around.

The Census data also include such information as occupation, whether immigrants were naturalized citizens, and whether they owned or rented their homes — in other words, sketches of communities, said David M. Kleiman, president of Heritage Muse Inc., a New York-based genealogy technology firm.

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #172 on: June 06, 2012, 05:07:22 PM »

https://familysearch.org/1940census/

Hi Monkey's & Muffy Bee Smile

If you pass your mouse over the map (on the link above),  the dark orange states, are searchable by name, they say.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #173 on: June 07, 2012, 05:36:49 AM »

Posted: Thu, Jun. 7, 2012, 3:00 AM

Donald Trump is wrong to sue former Miss Pennsylvania
Jenice Armstrong
Philadelphia Daily News

Uh-oh. There's trouble in beauty-pageant land.

Not only has the former title-holder for Miss Pennsylvania USA, Sheena Monnin, turned in her rhinestone tiara, saying the just-completed Miss USA pageant was rigged, calling it "fraudulent" and "trashy," but her first runner-up won't take over for her.

Valerie Compeggie, 26, of Pittsburgh, has — gasp — declined to do what first runner-ups are traditionally expected to do: complete what's left of the winner's reign. Not out of solidarity with Monnin, of course, or because of some moral qualms. Nope, she took a pass because doing so would disqualify her from ever competing for the title of Miss USA.

Read more:

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/20120607_Donald_Trump_is_wrong_to_sue_former_Miss_Pennsylvania.html?cmpid=138887484

So much for wishing for world peace.  Smile

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2012, 02:54:24 PM »

If you pass your mouse over the map (on the link above),  the dark orange states, are searchable by name, they say.

Thanks Seahorse  But wouldn't you know the states I really want indexed aren't done yet. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2012, 09:28:20 AM »

Thanks Seahorse  But wouldn't you know the states I really want indexed aren't done yet. 

Good morning Monkey's,

Cookie,

I will always be grateful to you for your idea, frozen water in the plastic bags; you saw it on the weather channel. I needed and used your suggestion twice, the first time the power did not go out and I passed the frozen water bags to another, whose power did go out at that time. The frozen bag technique came handy on another storm, I use it after when the electricity went off for a week because of another storm.  I was told it was a good idea, I mentioned you gave me it Smile Thank-you, again.

Yes, I know the State I am waiting for is not searchable, at this time. Boo.

Heritage Quest Online is available on line through the local Libary, I don't know the status of the 1940 census, I would think they are still indexing it.

http://genealogy.about.com/od/libraries/a/free_databases.htm

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2012, 10:15:58 AM »

Seahorse  I am glad I caught the info on the Weather Channel and was able to pass it on. Really happy to hear it worked.  For the Census I have done the page by page thing.  Which for small towns wasn't to bad. But then when I got into the more populated areas I tried but went crossed eyed. So will wait for the states to be indexed. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #177 on: June 11, 2012, 11:49:41 AM »

Seahorse  I am glad I caught the info on the Weather Channel and was able to pass it on. Really happy to hear it worked.  For the Census I have done the page by page thing.  Which for small towns wasn't to bad. But then when I got into the more populated areas I tried but went crossed eyed. So will wait for the states to be indexed. 

Good idea!

I was actually thinking, I should bag up water in recycled plastic bags, and put them in the freezer, (in case) of another Spring storm, like, last year's.

I (believe) I used Aldi's 7in x 73/4 inc bags, they worked out well with the double strip on top of the bag. I was asked the person that I gave the frozen bags to, if I wanted the water bags, back, to refreeze, I said, yes, but I was vetoed down, so I just accepted the empty bags, back.

Thank-you for watching the W.C. Smile

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2012, 12:30:24 PM »

Hi again, Monkey's,

Cookie,

I just read another idea; it is not new, but new to me, to freeze water bottles or empty drinking plastic bottles with water, in your freezer. 

I have the empty plastic bottles you an redeem for 5 cents at Wall mart. However, for the other bottles that cannot be redeemed, (or, redeemed, in another state), I may just keep those on the side too, just in case, to pop in the freezer or even freeze them now.

Your tip was good to leave about a couple inches of space, from the top of the plastic water bags, before freezing; I would like the same stands for plastic water bottles, in the freezer.

I probably have people on the net, panicky for a storm Smile

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2012, 06:39:34 PM »

Hi again, Monkey's,

Cookie,

I just read another idea; it is not new, but new to me, to freeze water bottles or empty drinking plastic bottles with water, in your freezer. 

I have the empty plastic bottles you an redeem for 5 cents at Wall mart. However, for the other bottles that cannot be redeemed, (or, redeemed, in another state), I may just keep those on the side too, just in case, to pop in the freezer or even freeze them now.

Your tip was good to leave about a couple inches of space, from the top of the plastic water bags, before freezing; I would like the same stands for plastic water bottles, in the freezer.

I probably have people on the net, panicky for a storm Smile

Seahorse  That sounds like a good idea. I would think the same would hold true for the bottles too. There has to be air flow in the freezer compartment.  Just heard we are in for some bad storms the next couple days. Hope you don't have any bad weather.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.