March 18, 2024, 08:29:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #60 04/23/12- 04/22/13  (Read 448252 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #560 on: November 02, 2012, 07:11:16 PM »

San posted in NEWS OF THE DAY, Hurricane Sandy Thread. It's so good to have her back!   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #561 on: November 02, 2012, 08:14:35 PM »

HEY  - we got ONE Trick or Treater which is one more than we had last year and the year before!   

Hi Monkey's,

Klaass,

May I ask what was your lone Trick or Treater, dressed-up as in costume? TIA.

My favorite Trick or Treater was "Madeline", a few years back. A little girl came to the door with a big purse, so sweet and funny.  Smile

I think he was a devil, but he was so young (under 1yr) his mom was carrying him so was hard to tell  Monkey Devil!

Thank-you.

A baby, tricker or Treater, was dressed as a Monkey, Smile I thought, he was a little Bear.   

Bears can be Monkeys!

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #562 on: November 02, 2012, 08:38:08 PM »

HEY  - we got ONE Trick or Treater which is one more than we had last year and the year before!   

Hi Monkey's,

Klaass,

May I ask what was your lone Trick or Treater, dressed-up as in costume? TIA.

My favorite Trick or Treater was "Madeline", a few years back. A little girl came to the door with a big purse, so sweet and funny.  Smile

I think he was a devil, but he was so young (under 1yr) his mom was carrying him so was hard to tell  Monkey Devil!

Thank-you.

A baby, tricker or Treater, was dressed as a Monkey, Smile I thought, he was a little Bear.   

Bears can be Monkeys!

And Monkeys can be Bears!     

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #563 on: November 03, 2012, 02:37:36 PM »

San posted in NEWS OF THE DAY, Hurricane Sandy Thread. It's so good to have her back!   

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #564 on: November 05, 2012, 12:26:39 AM »

http://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/wildlife/article1258116.ece

Animal control workers capture Tampa Bay's Mystery Monkey

By Laura C. Morel, Dan Sullivan and Peter Jamison, Times Staff Writers
In Print: Thursday, October 25, 2012

ST. PETERSBURG — Elizabeth Fowler watched as a tranquilizer dart punctured the monkey's torso.

He stumbled across a creek and crawled up a low branch, where he swayed as the chemicals coaxed him into slumber.

Wildlife rescuers carried the monkey out of the woods and stowed him in a cage.

The Mystery Monkey of Tampa Bay's nearly four-year run from wildlife officials was over Wednesday afternoon.

Three weeks earlier, Fowler had been bitten by the monkey, which prompted wildlife officials to intensify their search.

Fowler knew the monkey had to be caught. But like many neighbors, she had grown fond of him, and she was sad to see him go.

"I feel kind of guilty," Fowler, 60, said through tears.

The monkey's future is unclear. He was placed in quarantine Wednesday evening. If his health checks out, he could be sent to a sanctuary to be with other monkeys.

But the question remains: After thriving among humans for years, can he get along with his own kind?

The trappers arrived at Fowler's house near Lake Maggiore about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.

They placed bananas in and around the cage that wildlife rescuer Vernon Yates had installed weeks ago to catch the monkey.

But the monkey never came. He watched them from a nearby roof.

About noon, Shannon Fowler, Elizabeth's daughter, arrived. She stood outside, waved a banana and made smooching sounds.

The monkey emerged from the woods and perched on a branch. He scampered toward the trap.

From inside the home through a sliding glass door, veterinarian Don Woodman pointed a dart rifle at the monkey and fired.

The dart hit the monkey. He crawled into the woods and pulled it out. Woodman and Yates gave chase and grabbed him with a catch pole. They shot him with a second dart.

Within a minute, the monkey was unconscious.

"It was nice to have done the job and done it well and done it smoothly," Woodman said.

Yates carried the 45-pound rhesus macaque out of the woods. Members of the Fowler family stroked the monkey's fur and said goodbye.

"It's not a joy," Shannon Fowler said. "It's bittersweet."

For more than a year, the monkey has watched the Fowlers through windows. He playfully swatted the family dog. He chased the kids across the lawn.

But the monkey's stay took a dark turn when he bit Elizabeth. Since then, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officials have been on the lookout for him.

After the capture, Woodman and Yates gave the Mystery Monkey a new name: Cornelius, after a character in Planet of the Apes.

::snipping2::

Woodman, owner and veterinarian at the animal hospital, said Cornelius is in good physical health and, notably, free of fleas despite his sojourn in the wild.

"Clearly, he's grooming himself well," Woodman said.

Cornelius had minor abrasions from the dart wounds, but otherwise was unharmed.

But the monkey is overweight, Woodman said, attributing the extra pounds to junk food he was fed by humans.

"He's been well-fed in the sense that he's been getting a lot of calories, but not well fed in that he hasn't been eating a balanced diet," Woodman said.

The monkey will be placed in quarantine for 30 days at Yates' wildlife compound while he is tested for diseases. Yates said he is pretty certain Cornelius is disease-free.

He will be kept in a 6-by-10- foot, chain-link cage in sight of other animals — Yates said he currently has five monkeys at his property — but will not be free to mingle with them.

"It's going to be different for him," Yates said. "He's going to have to adjust."

The probability that the monkey will have to be euthanized is "next to zero" now that he has been captured, Yates said.

So what's next for Cornelius?

Martin, the FWC spokesman, said the monkey will likely go to a sanctuary in Florida to be with other monkeys; several have already expressed interest.

Pictures here:

http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2012/photo_galleries/mystery_monkey_caught/

Video (not of the capture)

http://www.tampabay.com/components/video/at-home-with-mr-monk-aka-tampa-bays-mystery-monkey/1443532996001/0

https://www.facebook.com/MysteryMonkeyOfTampaBay

Posted in Feb 2012

Posted in July 2012

This one always made me sad....he needed a companion. 

Posted in 2010

After his capture...

http://newstotalk.com/mystery-monkey-of-tampa-bay-captured-in-florida-video/

Courtesy: ABCNews

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eDIqGDPdtaQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eDIqGDPdtaQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #565 on: November 05, 2012, 12:45:56 AM »

http://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/wildlife/mystery-monkey-tests-positive-for-herpes-b/1259544

Mystery Monkey tests positive for herpes B

By Laura C. Morel, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Saturday, November 3, 2012

Cornelius, formerly known as the Mystery Monkey of Tampa Bay, has tested positive for the herpes B virus.

Wildlife officials on Thursday received test results from blood that was drawn last week when the wild rhesus macaque was captured in a neighborhood near Lake Maggiore.

The results show Cornelius is healthy, but carries herpes B, a common virus in rhesus macaques, said veterinarian Don Woodman, who has been examining the animal since his capture.

The virus is not life-threatening for the monkey, but may cause "relatively mild lesions," Woodman said.

"It doesn't really change anything for Cornelius," Woodman said. "I don't see that this creates a need to euthanize him."

The virus is of greater concern to humans, who can contract it by getting bitten or scratched by a monkey. Symptoms can take up to two weeks to emerge and include fever, headache and blisters near the wound.

Humans who contract the virus can develop encephalitis, a mostly fatal illness that causes swelling of the brain. Of the 22 herpes B cases in recorded history, 15 people have died from encephalitis, according to the National Institutes of Health.

Before his capture last week, the monkey bit Elizabeth Fowler, 60, outside her home.

As a precaution, she was treated for rabies and herpes. A blood test found no evidence of disease.

After she learned of the monkey's diagnosis, she consulted with a doctor Friday and decided to get more tests just to be sure, said Fowler's daughter, Shannon.

"She's been fine," said Shannon Fowler. "She's been taking care of herself."

Dr. John Sinnott, director of infectious diseases at the University of South Florida and Tampa General Hospital, said contracting herpes B from a monkey is "a rare event."

"If he were in my back yard," he said, "I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it."

The virus, however, may make it more challenging for wildlife officials to find Cornelius a good home because he could infect others of his kind.

At least one facility, Dade City's Wild Things, is interested in adopting Cornelius after his 30-day quarantine. News that he has the virus doesn't change that, said Wild Things director Kathy Stearns.

The 22-acre facility is home to more than 200 animals, including jaguars, zebras and several monkeys.

"At this point, I fear that no one is going to want him now," Stearns said.

Stearns said the facility will find a female macaque for Cornelius if he comes to live there.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #566 on: November 05, 2012, 11:58:54 AM »

Thanks for this update, texasmom.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #567 on: November 05, 2012, 12:36:52 PM »

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2010/11/oreo-turkeys-and-cookie-pilgrim-hats/

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #568 on: November 05, 2012, 06:59:20 PM »

Too cool!  I would have loved to have had this idea back in my "room mother" days!

I may just have to make some anyway!   

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #569 on: November 05, 2012, 07:05:05 PM »

Too cool!  I would have loved to have had this idea back in my "room mother" days!

No one at my house (all adults) really need the calories, so I know what you mean.  I may make some for the neighbors kids. And keep a few for myself.  

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #570 on: November 05, 2012, 07:32:08 PM »

No one at my house (all adults) really need the calories, so I know what you mean.  I may make some for the neighbors kids. And keep a few for myself.  

flutter1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #571 on: November 05, 2012, 09:36:24 PM »

Absolutely the turkey's gobble!

A joyful heart is the health of the body, but a depressed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22 NAB

We don`t know who the monsters are.  And as a parent, our job is to take care of our children. Ken Fries, Sheriff Allen County commenting on the death of Aliah
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #572 on: November 06, 2012, 07:58:12 PM »

Don't miss a special election night Dana Pretzer show at 9pm ET:

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #573 on: November 08, 2012, 09:49:53 PM »

http://www.kvue.com/news/UT-students-Ruff-Dog-Day-video-goes-viral-177786551.html
UT students' 'Ruff Dog Day' video goes viral
November 8, 2012

Credit: YouTube

Here's the youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IE1oYiU-MXM
Ruff Dog Day Official Video
Published on Oct 14, 2012 by Charli Kilpatrick
Getting ready for the day doggy style.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/ut-pet-becomes-youtube-hit
UT pet becomes Youtube hit
Dudley's video watched 1.5 million times

November 8, 2012

AUSTIN (KXAN) - Dudley's day begins like most of ours: he gets out of bed slowly in the morning, brushes his teeth and dresses for work. Unlike the average morning routine, however, Dudley's has been seen almost 1.5 million times.

Did we mention that Dudley is a dog?

Dudley's human, Charli Kilpatrick, said she never expected her video featuring the chocolate Labrador Retriever to go viral. She made the video as part of a group project for a communications class at the University of Texas.
More...

News video also in article.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:55:21 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #574 on: November 10, 2012, 02:42:18 PM »

Wish I lived closer.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #575 on: November 11, 2012, 02:48:31 AM »

I saw this the other day and am soooo making these little suckers for Thanksgiving! Thanks for posting it, Muffy!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #576 on: November 11, 2012, 03:37:57 AM »

I saw this the other day and am soooo making these little suckers for Thanksgiving! Thanks for posting it, Muffy!

You're welcome CBB!

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #577 on: November 19, 2012, 09:52:29 AM »

These are so cool. Thanks Muffy for posting them. I am like Texasmom I wish I would have had these a few years back. With all the eat healthy stuff these days I know a lot of schools don't like sweet treats for the kids parties.  One place I worked at didn't even like anything home made to be brought to class. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #578 on: November 19, 2012, 10:17:44 AM »

These are so cool. Thanks Muffy for posting them. I am like Texasmom I wish I would have had these a few years back. With all the eat healthy stuff these days I know a lot of schools don't like sweet treats for the kids parties.  One place I worked at didn't even like anything home made to be brought to class. 

You're welcome greeneyes.  I just thought there were sweet!      I know what you mean about healthy stuff these days. I've cut back a lot of sugar and sweets in my diet.   I went to the theater last night and before the performance I had a large chocolate chip cookie with a glass of red wine and between the glass of wine  and all the sugar in the cookie, I find myself floating on air to my seat for the performance.       Wheeee!!    

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #579 on: November 19, 2012, 01:26:41 PM »

You're welcome greeneyes.  I just thought there were sweet!      I know what you mean about healthy stuff these days. I've cut back a lot of sugar and sweets in my diet.   I went to the theater last night and before the performance I had a large chocolate chip cookie with a glass of red wine and between the glass of wine  and all the sugar in the cookie, I find myself floating on air to my seat for the performance.       Wheeee!!    

Muffy floating in your seat for the performance   Good you have been able to cut back on the sugar & sweets. I do good for a while then get that chocolate craving and wham I am hooked again.  I am with you on the wine. It only takes one glass to have me feeling light headed.  How was the performance?

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.