March 18, 2024, 09:34:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #60 04/23/12- 04/22/13  (Read 448266 times)
crazybabyborg
« Reply #740 on: January 22, 2013, 12:15:33 AM »

Hi Blue Moon and GE!   

I don't think I have EVER seen it snow and ice any harder than it has in the last few hours. It has pretty much stopped now but in short order, we have 5 inches on the ground and the way it came made conditions just awful! There was a 50 car pile up on Kingsport's by-pass. The lady who works the lab at the clinic left early, around 1:00, and had a wreck. Her back is hurt, but I think she'll be OK. 2 other staff will probably spend the night at the clinic, because they both have to go over a mountain to get home and the road has been closed. I stopped by the grocery on the way to get Waylon and when I went in, it was raining. I was in there maybe 15 minutes, and couldn't believe it when I left! The parking lot was icy and the rain had changed to tiny ice pellets. That finally gave way to snow, but I think Waylon was the only one that had the right attitude......... he was loving it!   

Michael's home...... finally! The shoulder injury turned out to be really bad and a 2 hour drive turned into a 5 hour ordeal, but he's home safely and that's all that counts.

John's home safely too, even though he fell on the driveway getting out of the car. He's OK. Shew! All my chickies are home!  This Mama Hen is just going to get comfy and be grateful! 

Ouch and Ouch!  How did Michael hurt his shoulder?

Hiya, Bearly! Like he's done all his injuries....... playing sports.  This time, he's done. He has to be. There was no repair possible to the shoulder labrum. It was so shredded that it had to just be removed  and they screwed his bicep muscle into the shoulder socket, which will never stabilize it like the labrum did. They hadn't expected to find such a mess. His rotator cuff had a huge tear in it as well, and there was also a large, hooked bone spur that was digging into the nerves, so they cut that off. The surgeon flat out told him that if he blew the repair, it can't be fixed and it would be easy to blow it. He's in a souped up, hard sling that he must wear for 3 weeks and can't lift anything heavier than a coke can for 10 weeks. After that, it's physical therapy for 6 months and despite all of that, the prognosis is probably joint replacement in the future, which will have limited success without the labrum. This is his right arm and he's right handed. Either he stops playing, and stops now, or I'm disowning him. I told him I would be relentless about anyone trying to do him bodily harm....... and that includes HIM! 

Thanks, all, for asking about him!   
crazybabyborg
« Reply #741 on: January 22, 2013, 01:11:52 AM »

Very cool CBB!  Do you know some of them?

It's hard to live here and be raised here without knowing some of them, Klaas! I've taught a good 25% of them in Sunday School, and know a lot of their families. I went to school with some of their parents. The band has always been really good and are usually in Macy's parade. It's a big high school.  There were apprx. 700 students when I went there, 1,500 when Michael was there and today there are 1,900 enrolled students. The school has always ranked well academically on national scores, has a great band and a sports program that won't quit. Several football players have gone on to play in the NFL. There's a lot of community support for the high school. The stadium is pretty impressive for a high school and games are always sold out, everybody buys fruit from the band so they can travel.

Here's a pic of Dobyns Bennett. From the looks of the cars and the absence of grown trees, it's an old one, but it's the best I could find showing most of the structure. The stadium is out of the frame, as are the tennis courts. There's also property across the street running behind the school, where the band practices. Waylon goes to day care directly across from the front of the school.  

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:19:24 AM by CBB » Logged
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #742 on: January 22, 2013, 09:12:50 AM »

CBB - when you said 1900+ students I thought, WOW, that's a lot!  Then I checked and the two nearest high schools to where I live have over 3000    and the one I went to has over 2100!  I never realized! 
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #743 on: January 22, 2013, 09:27:45 AM »

Good Morning folks.....

12 degrees this morning.....no snow

We were 70 degrees a week ago.

You all made me check my highschool.....then I had to laugh....same amount of students
as years ago....since the school has not expanded it's space.   

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #744 on: January 22, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »

Good morning Mere!     Good morning all!~

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
crazybabyborg
« Reply #745 on: January 22, 2013, 10:46:54 AM »

Hi Muffy, Mere, and Klaas! 

It's cold here too, Mere; brrrrrr...... stay warm!

I was shocked at the numbers for DB when Michael started there, but it's not a straight comparison with the population to when I attended. DB only had 10th through 12th grades in my day, and now they include 9th grade as well. It was the only high school in the city in my day, and now, even though it's the largest, is just one of four high schools in the city system.

3,000 is a LOT of kids at one school, Klaas, regardless of where it is! 

It's a sad testament to the times, but I have to admit that when discussion of school security comes up, I always think about the sprawling nature of DB. It's quite a hike from one end to the other of the building and much of it has three stories. It was built in the late 60's and the thought that security would ever be an issue, just wasn't in anyone's mind. 
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #746 on: January 22, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »

Kingsport's high school (Dobyns-Bennett) band did a great job today in the inaugural parade! 

CNN'c coverage:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/le75p5LcguM?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/le75p5LcguM?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #747 on: January 22, 2013, 12:11:04 PM »

Hi Blue Moon and GE!   

I don't think I have EVER seen it snow and ice any harder than it has in the last few hours. It has pretty much stopped now but in short order, we have 5 inches on the ground and the way it came made conditions just awful! There was a 50 car pile up on Kingsport's by-pass. The lady who works the lab at the clinic left early, around 1:00, and had a wreck. Her back is hurt, but I think she'll be OK. 2 other staff will probably spend the night at the clinic, because they both have to go over a mountain to get home and the road has been closed. I stopped by the grocery on the way to get Waylon and when I went in, it was raining. I was in there maybe 15 minutes, and couldn't believe it when I left! The parking lot was icy and the rain had changed to tiny ice pellets. That finally gave way to snow, but I think Waylon was the only one that had the right attitude......... he was loving it!   

Michael's home...... finally! The shoulder injury turned out to be really bad and a 2 hour drive turned into a 5 hour ordeal, but he's home safely and that's all that counts.

John's home safely too, even though he fell on the driveway getting out of the car. He's OK. Shew! All my chickies are home!  This Mama Hen is just going to get comfy and be grateful! 

Ouch and Ouch!  How did Michael hurt his shoulder?

Hiya, Bearly! Like he's done all his injuries....... playing sports.  This time, he's done. He has to be. There was no repair possible to the shoulder labrum. It was so shredded that it had to just be removed  and they screwed his bicep muscle into the shoulder socket, which will never stabilize it like the labrum did. They hadn't expected to find such a mess. His rotator cuff had a huge tear in it as well, and there was also a large, hooked bone spur that was digging into the nerves, so they cut that off. The surgeon flat out told him that if he blew the repair, it can't be fixed and it would be easy to blow it. He's in a souped up, hard sling that he must wear for 3 weeks and can't lift anything heavier than a coke can for 10 weeks. After that, it's physical therapy for 6 months and despite all of that, the prognosis is probably joint replacement in the future, which will have limited success without the labrum. This is his right arm and he's right handed. Either he stops playing, and stops now, or I'm disowning him. I told him I would be relentless about anyone trying to do him bodily harm....... and that includes HIM! 

Thanks, all, for asking about him!   

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #748 on: January 22, 2013, 12:16:07 PM »

Good Morning folks.....

12 degrees this morning.....no snow

We were 70 degrees a week ago.

You all made me check my highschool.....then I had to laugh....same amount of students
as years ago....since the school has not expanded it's space.   

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #749 on: January 22, 2013, 12:17:26 PM »

I believe in miracles!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #750 on: January 22, 2013, 01:43:15 PM »

Hey ya' Bearly Bear!!       

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #751 on: January 22, 2013, 08:18:10 PM »

DON'T MISS THE DANA PRETZER SHOW AT 9PM ET:

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #752 on: January 25, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »

Good Morning....and Hi to everyone.....want Blue Moon and CBB to know that we are under
and "ice storm warning" which I know you know unless you are still asleep.     Do be careful as I hear sirens every so often....heading toward I-75. 

I certainly have learned to live in and enjoy all four seasons.....although I thought we might
miss this winter.  Will be moving south sometime this year....more like one and a half seasons, but will be close to family.

Hugs....

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #753 on: January 25, 2013, 10:46:34 AM »

Good Morning....and Hi to everyone.....want Blue Moon and CBB to know that we are under
and "ice storm warning" which I know you know unless you are still asleep.     Do be careful as I hear sirens every so often....heading toward I-75. 

I certainly have learned to live in and enjoy all four seasons.....although I thought we might
miss this winter.  Will be moving south sometime this year....more like one and a half seasons, but will be close to family.

Hugs....

Hi Mere.  We have about a .25" of pure ice.  It is starting to pass us, you should see it real soon.  We are under an ice storm warning until about 1pm today.  Ice is hanging off the tree branches this morning.  They had to close I-65 just 30 miles north of us and also the Natcher Parkway just down the road from me, they said both lanes were covered with wrecked vehicles.  I know they put down salt brine yesterday on the interstate and also the main roads here but it didn't help the interstates.  Be careful today.  At least by next Tuesday we should be having thunderstorms and temps in the 60's.  You just never know what the weather will be from day to day.

Mere, I hate to hear you are leaving our great state but don't blame you if it puts you near your family.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #754 on: January 27, 2013, 11:37:07 PM »

roflmao 

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #755 on: January 28, 2013, 02:25:01 AM »

He was really rockin out. To cute

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #756 on: January 28, 2013, 05:44:30 AM »

Hugs....

Sounds good, Mere.  Let us know how it goes.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #757 on: January 28, 2013, 05:45:06 AM »

Hello to all Friendly Monkeys, Past, Present, and Future!
 ::justice2NJ::  Miss you my friend and neighbor!

(always reminds me of Klaas)  (although this is the one I asked Klaas to make when she got well after knocking rather loudly on death's door) (CBB, who else?)  (San)  (Closest thing to a 4x4 I could find up there, Nut).

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #758 on: January 28, 2013, 05:47:59 AM »

Hugs....

Hi Mere.  We have about a .25" of pure ice.  It is starting to pass us, you should see it real soon.  We are under an ice storm warning until about 1pm today.  Ice is hanging off the tree branches this morning.  They had to close I-65 just 30 miles north of us and also the Natcher Parkway just down the road from me, they said both lanes were covered with wrecked vehicles.  I know they put down salt brine yesterday on the interstate and also the main roads here but it didn't help the interstates.  Be careful today.  At least by next Tuesday we should be having thunderstorms and temps in the 60's.  You just never know what the weather will be from day to day.

Mere, I hate to hear you are leaving our great state but don't blame you if it puts you near your family.

Yikes!   

PS  Didn't mean the ice was sounding good, just being closer to family was good.   

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #759 on: January 28, 2013, 07:26:17 AM »

roflmao  

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o443b2rfFnY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can you see this?  Or can you only see it if you have facebook?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4700990876243&set=vb.1038301025&type=2&theater

I believe in miracles!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.