April 20, 2024, 12:56:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Time Indy 500 Winner Dan Wheldon Dies After Crash in Vegas  (Read 8216 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: October 16, 2011, 06:48:47 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/17/sports/autoracing/Dan-Wheldon-Crash-Vegas-IndyCar.html
Wheldon, Indy 500 Winner, Dies After Crash at Vegas
October 16, 2011

Darron Cummings/Associated Press
Dan Wheldon of England was killed in the crash.

Robert Laberge/Getty Images
The car driven by Dan Wheldon burst into flames and broke apart during a multiple car crash at a race in Las Vegas Sunday.

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon died Sunday in a fiery 15-car wreck at Las Vegas Motor Speedway when his car flew over another on Lap 13 and smashed into the wall just outside Turn 2.

Wheldon was 33. Drivers were told of Wheldon’s death in a meeting about two hours after the fiery, smoky crash that many drivers said was the worst they had ever seen.

He won the Indianapolis 500 twice, including this year.

“IndyCar is very sad to announce that Dan Wheldon has passed away from unsurvivable injuries,” IndyCar chief executive Randy Bernard said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family today. IndyCar, its drivers and owners, have decided to end the race. In honor of Dan Wheldon, the drivers have decided to do a five-lap salute in his honor.”

Three other drivers, including championship contender Will Power, were hurt in the pileup.

The wreck left Townsend Bell upside down and smoldering cars and debris littered the track nearly halfway up the straightaway of the 1.5-mile oval.

The track was red-flagged while crews worked on fences and removed smashed cars.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 11:07:59 AM »

RIP my friend. Thoughts are with your beautiful family, friends, fellow drivers and all who enjoy the Indy Series.

VIDEO
Indy 500 winner Wheldon dies in massive wreck
http://bangordailynews.com/2011/10/16/sports/indy-500-winner-wheldon-dies-in-massive-wreck/

The video begins with Dan's #77 car video camera inside his car
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:11:30 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:09:50 AM »

Dan Wheldon (77) goes airborne during a wreck that involved 15 cars in the IndyCar Series' Las Vegas Indy 300 auto race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Las Vegas on Sunday, Oct. 16, 2011. Wheldon died following the crash.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/10/16/sports/indy-500-winner-wheldon-dies-in-massive-wreck/

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 11:14:03 AM »

IndyCar driver Dan Wheldon, of England, poses with his wife Susie and children Oliver Sebastian (right) next to the Borg-Warner Trophy during the traditional winners photo of the Indianapolis 500 auto race champion on the start/finish line at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indianapolis in May 2011.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 05:35:15 PM »

www.danwheldonmemorial.com (not completed yet)

Ticket refunds
Fans who purchased tickets that were scanned at Las Vegas Motor Speedway’s entry gates may mail their scanned tickets to the speedway ticket office for a full refund. Tickets are to be mailed to Las Vegas Motor Speedway’s ticket office at 7000 Las Vegas Blvd. N., Las Vegas, NV 89115. For questions call 800-644-4444. Tickets must be received in the ticket office by Dec. 1.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/oct/16/wheldon-hurt-huge-crash-vegas/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:50:31 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »

I can't find the site I read the autopsy report on, but COD was blunt force trauma to the head from the blow to the 'catch fence'. I am thankful he didn't burn to death. RIP Dan.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:33:11 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 07:32:48 PM »

I can't find the site I read the autopsy report on, but COD was blunt force trauma to the head from the blow to the fence. I am thankful he didn't burn to death. RIP Dan.

I hope Dan Wheldon's demise was as quick and painless as possible.  I'm afraid it's going to be difficult for his wife and two young sons for a long time.  She lost her husband and the boys lost their daddy.   I understand the racing world are like a big family, and I feel they will have support and respect, but still,  there are all the horrific photos and film clips that may crop up over the coming years. His death was so public. That would have to be so hard imo. These are just some of the thoughts as I have. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 07:37:17 PM »

http://www.legacy.com/ns/obituary.aspx?n=dan-wheldon&pid=154178896
Dan Wheldon Obituary

6/22/1978 - 10/16/2011
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Dan Wheldon, who moved to the United States from his native England with hopes of winning the Indianapolis 500 and went on to prevail at his sport's most famed race twice, died Sunday after a massive, fiery wreck at the Las Vegas Indy 300.

He was 33.

Wheldon, who won the Indy 500 for the second time this May, won 16 times in his IndyCar career and was the series champion in 2005. He was airlifted from the Las Vegas track at 1:19 p.m. local time Sunday and taken to a nearby hospital, becoming the first IndyCar driver to die on the track since rookie Paul Dana was killed in practice on the morning of race day at Homestead-Miami Speedway in 2006.
(Clickable link at end of article to see full obituary for Dan Wheldon)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 11:04:24 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/10/dan-wheldon-indycar-las-vegas-jimmie-johnson-foyt-andretti.html
IndyCar launches probe of Dan Wheldon crash, plans memorial Sunday
October 18, 2011

The Izod IndyCar Series said Tuesday it launched an investigation into the horrific 15-car wreck that claimed the life of two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon in Las Vegas.
"We hope to have preliminary findings to report within the next several weeks," IndyCar said. "In the meantime, it would be inappropriate to comment further until the investigative team has had the opportunity to conclude its work."

Wheldon, 33, succumbed to injuries Sunday when his car was involved in the crash early in a race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

IndyCar also said it would hold a public memorial service to celebrate Wheldon's life Sunday at Conseco Fieldhouse in downtown Indianapolis.
 ::snipping2::

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 11:11:57 AM »

I can't find the site I read the autopsy report on, but COD was blunt force trauma to the head from the blow to the fence. I am thankful he didn't burn to death. RIP Dan.

I hope Dan Wheldon's demise was as quick and painless as possible.  I'm afraid it's going to be difficult for his wife and two young sons for a long time.  She lost her husband and the boys lost their daddy.   I understand the racing world are like a big family, and I feel they will have support and respect, but still,  there are all the horrific photos and film clips that may crop up over the coming years. His death was so public. That would have to be so hard imo. These are just some of the thoughts as I have. 

I agree Muffy. They are all like family to each other, even though in competition in every race. NASCAR is the same way. The buzz in NASCAR right now is to beef up their safety standards as best they can before the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series heads to Talladega Superspeedway on Sunday. Good Sam Club 500 starts at noon. I used to be a huge Indy fan back in the 70's/80's, but NASCAR has been my #1 forever. It is a dangerous sport and in a split second lives can be changed forever. They love what they do and would have it no other way.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 05:40:49 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/indycar/story/2011-10-22/dan-wheldon-funeral/50869962/1
Dan Wheldon remembered as loving, loyal and tidy

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) – Of all the indelible moments from Dan Wheldon's public memorial service — fellow IndyCar drivers Dario Franchitti, Scott Dixon and Tony Kanaan serving as pallbearers, his father carrying his racing helmet and country music star Wynonna Judd singing two gripping songs — the heart-wrenching letter from his wife cut deepest.

Susie Wheldon's letter to Dan left few eyes dry in the First Presbyterian Church of St. Petersburg.

Wheldon, a two-time Indianapolis 500 winner, died last Sunday in IndyCar's season finale at Las Vegas. He was remembered Saturday not only as a champion but as a devoted husband, caring father, loyal friend and beloved son. And one more thing: a neat freak.
Hundreds said goodbye to the 33-year-old Englishman-turned-Floridian during a service that included a eulogy by the best man at his wedding, Judd's rendition of Amazing Grace alongside a church choir and letters by his wife and sister that offered a detailed portrait of the popular, fun-loving and always tidy driver.
 ::snipping2::
More:
Photos available at link in article.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/indycar/story/2011-12-15/dan-wheldon-death-investigation/51963662/1
Investigation: Dan Wheldon died when head hit fence post
By Curt Cavin, The Indianapolis Star
December 15, 2011

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 06:49:54 PM »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/bruce_martin/12/15/dan.wheldon.investigation.indycar/index.html
With info in hand, IndyCar must learn from errors, improve safety
December 15, 2011

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.