April 25, 2024, 02:54:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serial Rapist Targets Sorority Alums, Police Say  (Read 2903 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: October 21, 2011, 01:17:22 PM »

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/102111-Serial-Rapist-Targets-Sorority-Alums%2C-Police-Say
Serial Rapist Targets Sorority Alums, Police Say
October 21, 2011

This suspect has attacked at least four sorority alumnae members, police say.

PLANO, Texas - Police in at least three different North Texas cities are looking for a man who has sexually assaulted several members of the same sorority alumnae group in the last year.

All of the attacks have happened in the victims' homes in Plano, Coppell, and Corinth, according to a news release from Plano police public information officer David Tilley.

The first attack happened in November 2010. The most recent was this month.

Each of the four victims are black females in their 50s and 60s, Tilley said. In each case, the suspect indicated he knew information about his victims.

Officers would not release the name of the sorority, and would not speculate how the suspect may have obtained information.
 ::snipping2::
Video at Link (Click "video" tab to watch)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 12:00:56 AM »

How scary.  I wonder if he is related to a member of the group?

These are my opinions and subject to change.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/27/nation/la-na-delta-sig-20111028
Dallas-area rapes have sorority asking why
Texas police are likewise confounded by why the assailant appears to be targeting older alumnae of Delta Sigma Theta, one of the nation's prominent black sororities.

October 27, 2011

An image from video provided by the Plano Police Department shows the suspect… (Plano Police Department, AFP/Getty Images)

Reporting from Dallas — Betty Culbreath is normally not a fearful person. That changed when she learned that four women raped in their homes nearby were fellow Delta Sigma Theta sorority alumnae — all in their 50s and 60s.

Culbreath, 70, went out to her car and removed her Delta license plate holder. She heeded the advice of the national president of the sorority to think twice before wearing Delta clothing or accessories, much of it in the sorority's signature color, red.
Police are confounded by why a rapist appears to be targeting older women in one of the nation's prominent black sororities. For sorority members, the mystery underlies a dread that they could be the next victim attacked at home in the leafy Dallas suburbs of Corinth, Coppell and Plano. Here the flat land is dotted with lakes, evangelical churches and seemingly safe planned communities with names like Arbor Manors, Copperstone and Meadow Oaks.

Culbreath, former director of Dallas County Health and Human Services, is particularly alarmed by the surveillance video of a "person of interest" being sought by police, and the description of the suspect: a 275-to-300-pound tank of a man, African American, between 5 foot 7 and 5 foot 9, mid-30s or 40s, with a distinctive swagger.

Word of the attacks spread among the nation's "Divine Nine" black sororities and fraternities at their National Pan-Hellenic Council convention in Atlanta this week, on the Black Greek Forum, the Delta Sigma Theta Facebook page and other websites. Many people were frightened.

"This has really put a chill through everyone because we can't figure out an explanation for it," said Lawrence Ross, a Los Angeles-based author who is married to a Delta.

The most recent attack took place Oct. 14 in Shady Shores, and was investigated by Corinth police. The Coppell attack occurred Sept. 15. The two other assaults, in Plano, occurred in April and last November.

All four victims attended different colleges, said Plano Police Officer Andrae Smith, adding that it was too early to assume the suspect was exclusively targeting Deltas. But Plano police spokesman David Tilley said that "everybody associated with this has said it goes past coincidence."

Brad Garrett, a retired FBI profiler who's now a Washington-based consultant, said other criminals had targeted sororities, including serial killer Ted Bundy. But too little is known about the current suspect to be able to discern his motives, he said.

A serial rapist is "by and large fantasy-driven," Garrett said. "There's something that draws him. He could be trying to punish these women because they have been successful."

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »

This is the strangest case.  How does this guy know who to target?  Is he stalking the women waiting for the right moment to attack?

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 01:12:13 PM »

This is the strangest case.  How does this guy know who to target?  Is he stalking the women waiting for the right moment to attack?

I'm not sure how this guy is finding his targets.  Personally, I wonder if he's working from a year book or perhaps a list on the internet that has the membership and he chooses from there.  According to the article I've snipped below, he seems after "older alumnae".  Why is he targeting older members?  Is it because they're more vulnerable or is there a time frame/events that have caused him to target older members?  I can understand the reasoning behind the members stopping the  display of license framess or other insignia that would indicated they're a part of the sorority, but I don't think that's how this guy is finding them.  JMHO

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/27/nation/la-na-delta-sig-20111028
Texas police are likewise confounded by why the assailant appears to be targeting older alumnae of Delta Sigma Theta, one of the nation's prominent black sororities.

"Brad Garrett, a retired FBI profiler who's now a Washington-based consultant, said other criminals had targeted sororities, including serial killer Ted Bundy. But too little is known about the current suspect to be able to discern his motives, he said."

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 04:17:10 PM »

I was thinking that he has a relative that belongs to the group and has access to her info on members OR he's done work for the group in the past and knows who certain members are.  Maybe he helped design those license frames and such?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.