March 28, 2024, 02:01:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serial killer in Texas...Steven Hobbs  (Read 8147 times)
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« on: October 23, 2011, 11:07:42 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/serial-killer-texas-steven-hobbs-charged-murders-rapes-144247834.html

Serial Killer in Texas? Steven Hobbs Charged With Murders, Rapes

Steven Hobbs, a married Texas father of two charged with killing and assaulting prostitutes for the past decade, may be linked to several other unsolved murders in the area, investigators say.
"We're now going back to 15 years from today to check cold cases," Harris County sheriff's spokesman Alan Bernstein told ABCNews.com. "We're even talking to neighboring counties, which are much more rural, about their cases."
 ::snipping2::

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:10:33 PM »

I have been reading a lot about this lately.....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20123942-504083/the-killing-fields-disappearance-of-texas-girl-still-haunts-reporter/

The killing fields: Disappearance of Texas girl still haunts reporter

facinating...Laura Miller is mentioned...

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:12:42 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-18559_162-10009885.html?tag=segementExtraScroller;housing

21 photo slide show

Can you help solve these cases?

video
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7385610n
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 01:14:22 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 01:17:52 PM »

October 22, 2011 10:47 PM

The real-life mystery of Texas' 'killing fields'

Since the 1970s, over 30 young women and girls have disappeared or been found murdered in the 50-mile desolate area between Houston and Galveston - a stretch of land that some call a highway of hell.

"This bridge up ahead had a sign on it when you came out in this direction...it said, 'You are now entering the cruel world,'" federal agent Don Ferrarone pointed out as he drove along Interstate 45 with "48 Hours Mystery" correspondent Erin Moriarty. "And it's just, you know, it's just a perfect place [for] killing somebody and getting away with it."

"If you can just imagine having one of these little girls out here...one of these young girls out here...and there's no chance for them to be rescued, to be helped. And they're on they're own," said Ferrarone.

It was the haunting faces of the lost that inspired Ferrarone to write the screenplay for the new movie "Texas Killing Fields."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18559_162-20124020/the-real-life-mystery-of-texas-killing-fields/?tag=currentVideoInfo;videoMetaInfo

cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 11:14:24 PM »

Hopes rise for new breaks in old 'killing fields' cases

By CINDY HORSWELL, HOUSTON CHRONICLE

Updated 09:32 a.m., Monday, November 7, 2011

Jane and Janet Doe were discarded like trash, their nude bodies among four murdered young women left to decompose in a serial killer's personal graveyard, known as the notorious "killing fields" of League City.

For more than two decades since that grisly discovery, the bones of Jane and Janet Doe have sat in a dusty box at the Galveston County morgue. Their true identities remain a mystery to this day. No family has been able to mourn or bury the two nameless women, unlike the other two victims - 16-year-old Clear Creek sophomore Laura Miller and 23-year-old waitress Heidi Fye.

But League City Police Detective Marty Grant hopes that will soon change.

He and Detective Bryan Campbell recently discovered that DNA extracted from the two sets of unidentified remains in the 1990s was not being used for comparison to submissions to the state's Missing Person DNA databank that opened in 2003.

Precise standards

It's not precisely clear why the evidence wasn't submitted to the databank, but Grant says there was a lack of oversight in making sure the evidence was turned in.

Also, because of advancements in the very exact science of DNA analysis, the Center for Human Identity in Fort Worth, which runs the state's missing person DNA database, has not wanted DNA samples processed by outside labs.

"We usually only enter DNA that we've processed in our own lab," said Dixie Peters, a forensic analyst there. "We have very precise standards. We want to make sure that we extract a full DNA profile."

Once the state databank processes DNA from bones submitted last week from the unidentified remains, computers can immediately begin scanning for possible matches nationwide.

"This could be monumentally important," Grant said, because during the past eight years, thousands of families of the missing have been urged to submit DNA samples to the state's databank for familial comparisons.
  Right now all investigators have are the two victims' smiling faces sketched by police artists based on skull measurements and hair samples.

Children riding dirt bikes, who smelled a foul odor, discovered Jane Doe, estimated to be about 25 years old, lying in a pasture off Calder Road on Feb. 2, 1986. She had been shot in the back and dumped there as much as six months earlier. Her unclothed 5-foot-5-inch to 5-foot-8-inch body had turned into a skeleton by then. Authorities could tell she once had reddish-brown, shoulder length hair.

Her main distinguishing characteristic was a large gap between her two front teeth. She also had some healed fractured ribs.

More discoveries

As authorities scoured the fields for more evidence after her body was found, they then discovered another victim - Laura Miller - who was lying within 20 yards of Jane. The first victim, Heidi Fye, had been discovered in that vicinity two years earlier after a dog carried her skull to a nearby house.

The last victim, Janet Doe, was found by a horseback rider cantering down trails through that pasture on Sept. 8, 1991. Her bones were found about 100 yards away from where the other three bodies had been deposited.

This small-statured woman with fine brown hair, estimated to be about 31 years old, had possibly been beaten to death as much as four months earlier. The most curious feature about her was that she had already lost her teeth and been fitted with a set of low-quality upper dentures.

Laura Miller's father, Tim, who has since founded Texas Equusearch, said he would like to see these last two bodies identified more than he wants to see the killer captured.

"I want to see them sent home to their parents and loved ones. I want them to have their own spot where someone can bring flowers," said Miller, recalling how painful it was to wait three years to bury his daughter while her case was being investigated.

The Center for Human Identity estimates it could take a few weeks to several months to analyze the new evidence and enter it into the DNA databanks.
 ::snipping2:: ::snipping2::
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Hopes-rise-for-new-breaks-in-old-killing-fields-2255709.php#photo-1733699

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 11:37:08 PM »

Looks as though Hobbs isn't the only one being looked at. I remember when they busted this guy and I hoped that LE would link him to the killings. Glad to see things finally happening.

Judge sets January trial date for suspect in 'Killing Fields' murder

by KFDM News

khou.com

Posted on November 3, 2011 at 11:41 AM

CHAMBERS COUNTY, Texas – A judge has set a January 7 trial date for a man charged with capital murder in the 1996 beating, sexual assault and strangulation of 13-year-old Krystal Jean Baker in Chambers County, KFDM News reports.

Investigators say Kevin Edison Smith, 46, is a person of interest in several murders of young girls and women in the Houston to Galveston I-45 corridor, an area known as the "Killing Fields."

Baker’s body was found under the Trinity River Bridge off Interstate 10 in March of 1996 after she was last seen at a convenience store in Texas City. The case went cold after investigators couldn’t find any suspects in her murder.

Years later, in January 2010, Smith was stopped in Louisiana on a drug charge and a DNA sample was taken. Just nine months later, in September 2010, Smith was arrested at a refinery in Jefferson County after his DNA matched DNA found on Baker’s clothing.

Smith, his attorney and the Chambers County District Attorney were in court Wednesday morning for a hearing. The D.A. wanted to change Smith’s December 12 trial because of the holidays. A judge set trial for January 7, 2012.

more to the story at the link

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Judge-sets-January-trial-date-for-suspect-in-Killing-Fields-murder-133172658.html

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 11:54:03 PM »

Just wanted to cross reference another thread we have with a possible relationship to the Texas Killing fields:

Welder arrested in 1996 killing of Texas City girl, Krystal Jean Baker at age 13 years old

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=8651.new#new

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.