May 04, 2024, 04:37:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Occupy Wall St. and Slavery  (Read 1653 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: October 27, 2011, 05:45:06 AM »

I've watched the various occupy events for the past month or so.  They raise a lot of good questions.

Why are the ones in New York primarily white or light skinned?  Quite a few have asked that question.  Some apparently are from the wealthy class and go to very elite schools.  Others seem to be 'burdened' with $200,000 loans they don't want to pay back.

Where are the black and brown faces?  Don't black and brown skinned students go to those schools and have $200,000 loans?

For years I've listened to folks I know talk about the deals their students get from various universities and colleges.  For some reason, the black and brown people seem to brag about getting more 'free rides' or 'full boats' than the white people. 

Is OWS really a sign of modern racism among the educational elite?  Is Holder investigating this?  Perhaps there is some kind of race/color based discrimination?

I've listened to some complain about how the poor students can't get rid of this debt through bankruptcy and that if they don't pay it back, it will be deducted from their Social Security.  WOW!!!!!!  Imagine that, having to pay back money you borrowed for your education. 

Sounds a lot like slavery.  Sell youself for money today and never find freedom because you debt just keeps going up.  That's the kind of idea that kept millions in bondage for years - Americans and others today.  Imagine, an idea promoted by elite higher education types.  For some reason, the majority of the OWS protesters were white and light skinned.

What's the answer?  Investigate the schools to find out why they charge so much to some students?  Are they giving away financial aid packages based on race or skin color?  End the loan program that enslaves these young people?  Limit the loans to say the average of a state education, IIRC around $17,000 a year?

For the most part, these are young people with a lifetime ahead of them to pay off this debt.  How many would think nothing of 'buying' a home in NY that comes with a $750,000 or more mortgage?

Evidence of discrimination against white students?  Favoritism?  Educational cronyism?

I wonder how many would have been given a free ride by their wealthy universities if they were non-white?

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 05:54:07 AM »

How is the 'Free Application for Federal Student Aid' FAFSA fair?

If you took three families, and they made roughly the same amount of money over the lifetime, will they get the same financial aid deal from universities, colleges, and the government?

I don't think so.

Will the ones that saved for college pay more?  Get more aid?

Will the parents that saved for retirement pay more?  Get more aid?

Will the parents that used multiple/fraud Social Security numbers (and don't report one on the form) pay more?  Get more aid?

Will the parents who relied on welfare include the value of that aid on their form? 

How does it capture the billions that are sent home by immigrants on a monthly basis?  Money that seems to just disappear from the U.S. economy?

For some reason, as time goes by, I think some 'lower income' people have much more disposable income than those that make more money.  Add the value of all the freebies together and what kind of 'income' do they have?

Times are tough for everyone.  Everyone has different spending and saving habits.  Why should the savers be crucified?  Have their children put into financial bondage for a lifetime?

Why should anyone be encouraged to take out loans they'll never pay back?

Why do most of the OWS protesters seem to be white?  Is this the new slavery?  The new civil rights issue? 

Why aren't black and brown students complaining about having $200,000 in loans and wanting a free ride?  Why aren't they complaining about having this debt for life?

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 06:07:45 AM »

No room in the job rotation for you.

Is OWS a sign that there are too many graduates from elite school?  No room in the elite job rotation for all the students?

No room and these folks aren't qualified for a job on Main Street?  Don't get extra points for a job because they're only white?

Spent 4 or more years in elite higher education and have no job skills?

After decades and generations, they've opened the doors of elite educational institutions to the riffraff, still no jobs in the job rotation?

No sharing the cronyism for you!

just my humble opinions

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 06:24:00 AM »

Looking back at the discussion I've had about financial aid and loans, one family comes to mind.

From memory, the son when to an elite school and got a legal degree.  His student loans (to the horror of this parents and others) were about $200,000.  His working class family contributed a lot of $$$.  Did he struggle?  He got a great job at a good firm and made over $200,000 per year. 

Their other child when to state schools and ended up with about $50,000 in loans.  Different field.  She got a good job making more than the value of her loans.

What's the message?  Maybe you shouldn't take out more in loans than you will make in a year?  That elite degree won't get you a job? 

Is $200,000 in loans worth it for a $30,000 a year job?  What exactly are these young people learning?  Why isn't that $200,000 dollar loan getting them a $200,000 a year job?

just my humble opinions

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 06:26:06 AM »

Fat cat teachers, wealthy elite universities...won't nobody hire one of your graduates?

Ron Paul the moderate - get rid of the FEDERAL student loan program!!!

just my humble opinions

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.