March 18, 2024, 10:57:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fmr PSU Coach Jerry Sandusky Convicted on 45 Counts of Sexual Abuse of 10 Boys  (Read 1001285 times)
tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2360 on: July 13, 2012, 08:32:27 PM »

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8162972/joe-paterno-true-legacy

The sins of the father
By Rick Reilly | ESPN.com Updated: July 13, 2012, 6:56 PM E

What a fool I was.

In 1986, I spent a week in State College, Pa., researching a 10-page Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year piece on Joe Paterno.

It was supposed to be a secret, but one night the phone in my hotel room rang. It was a Penn State professor, calling out of the blue.

"Are you here to take part in hagiography?" he said.

"What's hagiography?" I asked.

"The study of saints," he said. "You're going to be just like the rest, aren't you? You're going to make Paterno out to be a saint. You don't know him. He'll do anything to win. What you media are doing is dangerous."

Jealous egghead, I figured.

What an idiot I was.
 ::snipping2::

No child should have duct tape on their face when they die. There's no reason to put duct tape on the face after they die. ~ Dr. G

"People don't make accidents look like murder." ~ Jeff Ashton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2361 on: July 13, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »

http://twitter.com/sganim
2h Sara Ganim ‏@sganim
‪#psu‬ students, will there be a ‪#paternoville‬ this year? Send me thoughts.
 from Susquehanna, PA

2h Sara Ganim ‏@sganim
Via @AP ‪#psu‬ will be renovating showers where ‪#Sandusky‬ abused boys
 from Hampden, PA

8h Sara Ganim ‏@sganim
@PanaPao13 Reported a few weeks ago, based on Catholic Church payouts, average $2 million per victim

8h Sara Ganim ‏@sganim
Graham Spanier to be in Centre County court Aug. 17 for a hearing on his lawsuit against ‪#PSU‬

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2362 on: July 13, 2012, 10:24:33 PM »

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/penn_state_to_renovate_areas_w.html
Penn State plans to renovate areas where Jerry Sandusky abused boys
Published: Friday, July 13, 2012, 6:47 PM     Updated: Friday, July 13, 2012, 6:57 PM

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Penn State plans to renovate the building where Jerry Sandusky sexually molested boys.

University spokesman David La Torre said Friday that Penn State plans to remodel the football shower and locker room area as a direct result of Sandusky's crimes. The former defensive coordinator was convicted of assaulting some of his victims in the team shower.

La Torre said renovation plans to the Lasch Football Building were drawn up shortly after Sandusky's arrest in November. But he says Penn State can't move forward until all legal proceedings in the case are over.
Reminders of the Sandusky child sex abuse scandal — and the senior school officials accused of covering it up — are all over Penn State's campus and State College. School officials say they are still weighing how to deal with the other imagery associated with the scandal.

A statue outside Beaver Stadium served as a focal point for mourners of late coach Joe Paterno, but it has turned into a target for critics angered by former FBI director Louis Freeh's findings that Paterno and other university administrators concealed allegations against Sandusky in 1998 and 2001 to avoid bad publicity.

Some newspaper columnists and former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden have said the statue should be taken down.

::snipping2::The most glaring on-campus reminder might be the Mildred and Louis Lasch building, which was the scene of a 2001 allegation in which a graduate assistant coach said he saw Sandusky abuse a boy in the shower. Authorities said other attacks occurred in it as well.

The Lasch family has no qualms about leaving its name on it, a family member said Friday.

Comments at Link

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2363 on: July 13, 2012, 10:52:46 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/howard-fineman/penn-state-reputation-paterno_b_1672415.html
Penn State's Rep Proves to Be False Triumph of Paterno Marketing
By Harold Fineman
July 13, 2012

Skeptics have been peeling back the Penn State onion for several years now. In 2008, ESPN calculated that in the previous six years, 46 Penn State football players had faced a total of 163 criminal charges; 27 had been convicted or had pleaded guilty. Why the wave of bad behavior? ESPN said it was because the aging Paterno had had an unprecedented four losing seasons in five years.

The narrative that Freeh lays out makes vivid sense if you see it against the background of a football empire that had come to rest on shaky ground by the late 1990s. Paterno could not afford scandal. The university could not afford scandal. To hell with the raped kids.
I took a look at the U.S. News & World Report rankings to see where the school stood. Its professional schools are barely mediocre: Business ranks 44th, law ranks 76th, medicine is so obscure that I couldn't find it on the published list. The school is in the top rank nationally in only a handful of disciplines: earth sciences, criminology, and industrial and nuclear engineering.

Penn State's other major strength, at least until now, was in several sub-specialties of education: administration and supervision, counseling and personnel, educational psychology, and higher education administration.

The sad irony of these rankings is unbearable.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2364 on: July 13, 2012, 11:03:41 PM »

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/attorney-for-several-victims-plans-to-exercise-subpoena-power-to-dig-deeper-into-freeh-report-1089691/
Attorney for Several Victims Plans to Exercise Subpoena Power to Dig Deeper into Freeh Report
By Nate Mink
July 13, 2012

PHILADELPHIA — Louis Freeh’s damning 267-page presentment on the Penn State scandal opens the floodgates for civil action, according to an attorney for several of Jerry Sandusky’s victims.
“It’s very important in terms of liability,” said Matt Casey, co-counsel for multiple victims, including Nos. 3, 7 and 10 in the grand jury report. “The case after today is no longer warranted on simply negligence.
“Under the law, reckless conduct is punishable by punitive damages. The very word in Pennsylvania law used to describe that kind of conduct is shocking. And that word, I don’t think by accident, was used by Judge Freeh today.”
Casey offered no timeline for when he would file civil suits. He said more victims have come forward in the case, and he intends to use subpoena power to uncover even more facts not outlined in the Freeh Report.
Moments after Sandusky learned he would be going to jail forever last month, Penn State released a statement saying it will “invite victims” to settle civil litigation against the university.
In statement Thursday afternoon, State College-based attorneys Andrew Shubin and Justine Andronici said they intend to show Penn State and The Second Mile knew about Sandusky’s abuse decades earlier and failed to stop it. Shubin and Andronici are working with Casey and the Philadelphia-based firm Ross Feller Casey, LLP and also represent Matt Sandusky, Jerry’s adopted son.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2365 on: July 13, 2012, 11:10:12 PM »

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/major-headlines-in-wake-of-freeh-report-1090231/
Major Headlines in Wake of Freeh Report
By Nate Mink
July 13, 2012

Here are a slew of headlines on the events of July 12, 2012, a day forever stitched in Penn State's history no matter how many times it cleanses itself of the muck left on its face after years of silence.

National

Joe Paterno, at the End, Showed More Interest in his Legacy Than Sandusky's Victims - Washington Post
Joe Paterno's New Legacy: Coach Turned his Back on Helpless Boys to Protect Himself and Sandusky - Yahoo!
Paterno Empowered a Predator - ESPN.com
Penn State Deserves NCAA Wrath - ESPN.com
A Failed Experiment - Grantland
Paterno Could Have Been Indicted if He had Lived - NBC News
Vile Penn State Case a Lesson for Naive Fans, Power Programs - Sports Illustrated

State
John Baer: Could Corbett Have Done More to Spur Penn State Action in Sandusky Case? - Philadelphia Daily News
Penn State's Public Image Rebuilding Will be a Long, Hard Road - Harrisburg Patriot-News
Time for Joe Paterno Fans to Open Their Eyes - Harrisburg Patriot-News
Penn State Football Played and Lost by Its Own Rules - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Corbett Defends Sandusky Investigation - Citizens Voice

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2366 on: July 13, 2012, 11:10:34 PM »

Edit to add Sara's twitter link.  MB
2h Sara Ganim ‏@sganim
Via @AP ‪#psu‬ will be renovating showers where ‪#Sandusky‬ abused
@PanaPao13 Reported a few weeks ago, based on Catholic Church payouts, average $2 million per victi[/quote]

Renovating the showers??? Shaking my head. That creepy Spanier is still teaching [what???] still getting paid big bucks by this university. They seem to think they can gloss over these pervert accomplices with trite like this, renovating showers indeed...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:12:22 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2367 on: July 13, 2012, 11:11:54 PM »

2h Sara Ganim ‏@sganim  Edit to add Sara's twitter link.  MB
@PanaPao13 Reported a few weeks ago, based on Catholic Church payouts, average $2 million per victi

Renovating the showers??? Shaking my head. That creepy Spanier is still teaching [what???] still getting paid big bucks by this university. They seem to think they can gloss over these pervert accomplices with trite like this, renovating showers indeed...
[/quote]

Wow, I impressed myself...didn't know I knew how to Bold!! It just happened...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:13:09 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2368 on: July 13, 2012, 11:14:48 PM »

2h Sara Ganim ‏@sganim  Edit to add Sara's twitter link.  MB
@PanaPao13 Reported a few weeks ago, based on Catholic Church payouts, average $2 million per victi

Wow, I impressed myself...didn't know I knew how to Bold!! It just happened...
[/quote]

On your new found bolding skills. 

I agree about the shower remodel.     And I hope Graham Spanier gets brought up on charges.  He's got dirty hands, imo. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2369 on: July 14, 2012, 09:59:39 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/14/sports/ncaafootball/joe-paterno-got-richer-contract-amid-jerry-sandusky-inquiry.html?_r=1&smid=tw-share
Paterno Won Sweeter Deal Even as Scandal Played Out
By JO BECKER
Published: July 14, 2012

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2370 on: July 14, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »

2h Sara Ganim ‏@sganim
I guess some misunderstood? ‪#Paterno‬ knew & was ok with no chgs in 1998, victim 6 mom told me. More clear?
 from Harrisburg, PA

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2371 on: July 14, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/is_penn_state_lacking_in_its_c.html
Is Penn State lacking in its Clery Act policies?
By NICK MALAWSKEY, The Patriot-News
July 14, 2012

Sixteen years after the Clery Act went into effect — and even as a child sexual predator roamed its main campus — Penn State was still twiddling its thumbs.
There was no push for compliance with the federal law that requires criminal reporting, no mandated training for school officials.
Instead, according to a report by former FBI Director Louis Freeh on how Penn State handled the Jerry Sandusky case, there was one campus security staff member tasked with enacting the law’s provisions, on top of his other day-to-day duties.
Jeanne Clery was a 19-year-old freshman at Lehigh University in Bethlehem when she was raped and murdered in 1986.
Her murder — at the hands of another Lehigh student who entered her dormitory through a propped-open door — highlighted the underreporting of crime on college campuses.
Among other provisions, the law enacted in her name requires universities to collect crime statistics and provide public warnings of Clery crimes, a category that includes sexual assaults.
It also requires campus security authorities — a group that includes the director of athletics and team coaches — to report crimes to the university police department.
 ::snipping2::In 2009, Penn State failed to conduct background checks on 234 of the 735 coaches paid to work at summer sports camps before the camps began.
While Penn State has two main policies in place that govern background checks, university employees said it was common for volunteer coaches and counselors to slip though the cracks and described the process as a “sieve.”
Despite widespread failure, Freeh’s team could only find one instance in which a Penn State employee was held accountable for not complying with the background check policies. But even that was only the placement of a memo into the employee’s file, despite multiple failures of the employee to enforce the policy, the report said.
While the lack of background checks would not have altered one whit Jerry Sandusky’s ability to rape children on Penn State’s campus, it — taken with the oblivious attitude the university held toward the Clery Act — paints a picture of weakness within Penn State’s culture toward protecting children, Freeh’s report states.
Today, the federal agency tasked with Clery law oversight, the U.S. Department of Education, is investigating Penn State’s noncompliance. If previous inquiries are any indication, its review of the university’s inaction could take years.
Penalties could be steep.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2372 on: July 14, 2012, 12:16:20 PM »

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/joe_paternos_statue_at_penn_st.html#incart_mce
Joe Paterno's statue at Penn State: Should it stay or go?
Published: Friday, July 13, 2012, 8:11 AM     Updated: Friday, July 13, 2012, 3:05 PM

There's a poll in the article at link above and lots of comments. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2373 on: July 14, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »

http://twitter.com/cvmikesisak
8h CV News ‏@NewsCV
PSU trustees vow: Never again http://bit.ly/NkyKb7
Retweeted by Michael Sisak

7h Michael Sisak ‏@cvmikesisak
This concludes the cathartic, post-report, stream of consciousness. Now to bed, then regularly scheduled opinion-free tweeting. Best, Mike.

How a Brown-educated, Catholic family man couldn't infer grave criminality from Feb. 2001 report (w/hindsight of 1998) is mind boggling.
Expand
 Reply  Retweet  Favorite
In a way, if Freeh report is correct, Paterno betrayed fans too. They worshiped at his altar and he turned out to be Judas' chief enabler.

8h Michael Sisak ‏@cvmikesisak
I feel like I've wasted time rooting for Phillies when they lose so much. Imagine how gutted some Paterno fans must feel after Freeh report.

Millions of hours and billions of dollars spent each year on sports, inflating power, mental stranglehold single wing of society has on ppl.

Now is time to start discussion on rethinking culture of idol worship, rabid fandom and unchecked allegiances to institutions / alma maters.

Spanier, per report, took greater action banning sports agent who bought suit for player than he did booting ‪#Sandusky‬ from campus post-2/01

Sad to think Paterno did more to protect his freshman players from media (he didn't allow intrvws w/them), than to protect Sandusky victims.

9h Michael Sisak ‏@cvmikesisak
Good job here by @Jo_Becker on Paterno's last power play MT @nytimes: Paterno Got Richer Contract Amid Sandusky Probe http://nyti.ms/NLVoax

9h The New York Times ‏@nytimes
Joe Paterno Got Richer Contract Amid Jerry Sandusky Inquiry http://nyti.ms/NLVoax
Retweeted by Michael Sisak

9h Michael Sisak ‏@cvmikesisak
http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/180785/cowardly-lions-front-pages-reflect-outrage-at-penn-state-enablers/#.UAD9zaJ6Jk0.twitter

10h Michael Sisak ‏@cvmikesisak
@ericdeabill "slap, slap, slapping" ?

14h Michael Sisak ‏@cvmikesisak
Watch @JoeHoldenWBRE at 10 (ch 56) and 11 (ch 28) story on ex-PSU board chair ducking questions about early knowledge of grand jury probe

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2374 on: July 14, 2012, 12:27:07 PM »

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/180785/cowardly-lions-front-pages-reflect-outrage-at-penn-state-enablers/#.UAD9zaJ6Jk0.twitter
‘Cowardly lions’: Front pages reflect outrage at Penn State ‘enablers’
by Julie Moos
Published July 13, 2012 10:16 am
Updated July 14, 2012 9:20 am

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2375 on: July 14, 2012, 12:35:15 PM »

http://twitter.com/centredailycom
15m Centre Daily Times ‏@centredailycom
Feats of strength — ‪#PSUfootball‬ Lift For Life raises more than $100,000 for @UpliftingAth: http://bit.ly/Nxx4pf  pic.twitter.com/cVPBrVaq

27m Centre Daily Times ‏@centredailycom
Many wrestle w/ Paterno's legacy after Freeh report, voicing anger over coach's role in scandal, defending philanthropy http://bit.ly/NsK9Dv

39m Centre Daily Times ‏@centredailycom
‪#PSU‬ trustees promise change, plan to implement 'close to all' Freeh recommendations to alter university culture: http://bit.ly/NOkUfl

11h Centre Daily Times ‏@centredailycom
Saturday's front: ‪#PSU‬ to implement Freeh ideas; Trustees OK tuition increase; Paterno's legacy remains in limbo; Crowds flock to Arts Fest.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2376 on: July 14, 2012, 12:38:28 PM »

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/14/3260966/paternos-legacy-remains-in-limbo.html#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=pop
Many wrestling with Paterno's legacy in wake of Freeh findings
By Matt Morgan mmorgan@centredaily.com — State College - Centre Daily Times
July 14, 2012

Conflicted community voices anger over coach's role in scandal, defends philanthropy

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2377 on: July 14, 2012, 12:42:58 PM »

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/for-franco-harris-search-for-penn-state-truth-continues-644596/#ixzz20YKqPHh5http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/for-franco-harris-search-for-penn-state-truth-continues-644596/
For Franco Harris, search for Penn State truth continues
By Brandon Boyd / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
July 13, 2012

Franco Harris said today that while he has doubts about the Freeh Report, he would be willing to change his opinion of Joe Paterno based on that report as well as other information that might be revealed in future trials of Penn State officials.

Harris, who just returned from a trip to Texas, said he has only caught pieces of information about the Freeh Report from ESPN and CNN and has not yet had a chance to comb through the information released Thursday morning on Paterno and other Penn State officials.

"Oh, oh, sure. Yeah. As I said, we just want the truth," he said about changing his opinion on Paterno. "I don't think it's complete yet."

Harris, the former Steeler and Penn State football star who played for Paterno from 1969-71, was one of the coach's staunchest defenders when the Penn State Board of Trustees fired Paterno in November 2011 in the wake of the child sex abuse scandal involving Jerry Sandusky.

"There's some players in this who are still very, very important, who were a part of this all.. . . ," Harris said in an interview in his office in McCandless. "I'm just not making a decision and I'm definitely not making a decision based on the Freeh Report."
Harris also questioned the truthfulness of the report, adding that he believes the eventual trials of former Penn State vice president Gary Schultz and former athletic director Tim Curley would say more about what really happened.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2378 on: July 14, 2012, 12:47:01 PM »

http://www.psu.edu/trustees/membership.html
Penn State Board of Trustees
Current Membership

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #2379 on: July 14, 2012, 01:32:10 PM »

Wow.  What a bunch of low life people.  The board, the family, all of them.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.