March 19, 2024, 04:21:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fmr PSU Coach Jerry Sandusky Convicted on 45 Counts of Sexual Abuse of 10 Boys  (Read 1001386 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2460 on: July 20, 2012, 12:34:47 AM »

http://www.newsaegis.com/news/x941534695/Hardin-Bill-to-help-children
Hardin Bill to help children
July 29, 2012

St. Clair — State Rep Dickie Drake partnered with the Children First Foundation to create and pass the Savannah Hardin bill due to recent child abuse cases such as the rapes that Jerry Sandusky,  former coach at Penn State was found guilty of, and the child abuse and murder charges that Savannah Hardin’s grandmother Joyce Hardin Garrard and the girl’s stepmother, Jessica Hardin.
The bill is named after nine-year-old Savannah Hardin of Etowah County, who was allegedly run to death by her grandmother as her stepmother stood by.

Both the Savannah Hardin case and the sexual abuse of Sandusky could have been prevented if people had been obliged to come forward about what they knew was happening. Any Alabama citizen who suspects or has knowledge of child abuse and neglect report it to the Department of Human Resources or law enforcement.
 ::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2461 on: July 20, 2012, 12:41:50 AM »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1264805-penn-state-scandal-in-order-to-prevent-another-jerry-sandusky-empower-victims
Penn State Scandal: In Order to Prevent Another Jerry Sandusky, Empower Victims
By Adam Jacobi (Big Ten Lead Blogger) on July 19, 2012

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2462 on: July 20, 2012, 09:23:37 AM »

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2012/07/20/paterno_statue_sculptor_wants_decision_to_wait/
Paterno statue sculptor wants decision to wait
By Dan Gelston
AP Sports Writer / July 20, 2012

Should it stay or should it go?

Not even the sculptor of the life-sized statue knows, for sure, how to feel about his creation that has turned into a 9,000-pound Rorschach test for all who step foot on campus.

"I think we should all wait on it. Put a cover on it," Angelo Di Maria said. "Let's see how everyone feels in six months ... or a year."

Penn State won't wait that long. University spokesman David La Torre said a decision on the matter would be made next week.

The 65-year-old Di Maria, who lives near Reading, Pa., was commissioned more than a decade ago by "Friends of Joe and Sue Paterno," as well as Penn State to create the nearly 7-foot statue. Di Maria had a long relationship with the university, mostly creating works for the donor program, when he was asked to craft the statue. Di Maria snapped sideline photos and decided on the iconic shot of Paterno running out of the tunnel, his right index finger extended.

He first made a clay model and then received the approval of one of Paterno's daughters.

But the statue has morphed from a fan-friendly gathering spot to a shameful bronze symbol of all that is wrong with idolizing football coaches.
Critics have called for the sculpture to be taken down after the Freeh report concluded that Paterno was aware of the 1998 allegations against Sandusky -- in contrast to his grand jury testimony and an interview given after his firing -- and that he was involved in the decision to hide a 2001 incident from authorities.

"All the focus is on the statue right now, but horrible crimes were committed," Di Maria said. "Let's move on away from Joe Paterno. He's gone, he's passed on."
(2 pgs)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2463 on: July 20, 2012, 02:03:15 PM »

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/longtime_penn_state_trustee_re.html
Longtime Penn State trustee resigns due to Sandusky fall-out
By CHARLES THOMPSON, The Patriot-News
Published: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 8:49 PM     Updated: Friday, July 20, 2012, 1:01 AM

Steve  Garban, a longtime member of the Penn State establishment and the chair of the board of trustees when the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal erupted, has resigned from the board.

JOE HERMITT, The Patriot-News/2012
Jerry Sandusky leaves the Centre County courthouse after being found guilty in his trial on child molestation charges. Sandusky had originally been charged with 52 counts of child sex abuse allegedly involving 10 boys over 15 years. JOE HERMITT, The Patriot-News
Garban become the first board member to resign following a call last week from current Chair Karen Peetz for each member to "evaluate our individual paths forward."
Four others left the 32-person board this spring: three when their terms expired and one who was voted out by alumni.
Garban was one of a handful of board leaders to whom then-President Graham Spanier gave a heads-up on the Sandusky presentment days before charges were filed last November.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2464 on: July 20, 2012, 02:08:04 PM »

http://twitter.com/rmusselmansc

36m StateCollege.com ‏@SCNewsDesk
Conflicting Reports on Status of Joe #Paterno Statue : http://bit.ly/NOoOa7
Retweeted by Ron Musselman

49m Ron Musselman ‏@rmusselmansc
There was barely any mention of him in the spring guide. RT @Bachscore: PSU football media guide to (cont) http://tl.gd/ie7953

1h Ron Musselman ‏@rmusselmansc
More Lubrano. RT @PghPress: Lubrano also said #PSU administration has asked for input on JoePa (cont) http://tl.gd/ie5vs6

I dont think a building can decide anything, but BOT says decision is Erickson's. @PSUProf: So Old Main decides?

And this. RT @PghPress: Re: JoePa statue, PSU trustee Anthony Lubrano says no BOT vote on removal. (cont) http://tl.gd/ie5s79
Expand
 Reply  Retweet  Favorite
2h Quinn Barham ‏@QuinnBarham67
I can understand taking down the Paterno statue. Maybe put it in the museum up there.

2h Ron Musselman ‏@rmusselmansc
Here is the latest on statue. RT @LC_Nichols: Penn State Board member Capt. Ryan McCombie said (cont) http://tl.gd/ie5oc1

Good memory. RT @P_Woo: The Joe #Paterno statue reportedly coming down. I'm over the situation. I (cont) http://tl.gd/ie5c55

2h Laura Nichols ‏@LC_Nichols
Penn State spokesman Dave La Torre: "I'm not aware of any decision being made," regarding the Joe Paterno statue.

2h StateCollege.com ‏@SCNewsDesk
The Impact of a Possible Death Penalty : http://bit.ly/MdH6xn

Not surprised. RT @BonnieBernstein Source: Penn State BoT voted on a conference call last night to (cont) http://tl.gd/ie54av

3h Peter Hall ‏@phall215
State Farm files suit against Jerry #Sandusky seeking judgment that his homeowner's policy doesn't cover liability for abuse.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2465 on: July 20, 2012, 02:35:52 PM »

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-07-19/news/sns-rt-us-usa-pennstate-cleryactbre86i1n0-20120719_1_clery-act-jeanne-clery-penn-state
Penn State could incur steep penalty in probe of unreported crime
Barbara Goldberg
July 19, 2012

::snipping2::The Department of Education is investigating Penn State for possible violations of the Clery Act, which requires colleges to collect and report daily and annual crime statistics and issue timely warnings to students and others.

The DOE is seeking school records from 1998 to 2011, a 13-year span in which Sandusky, a former assistant football coach, sexually abused boys in campus showers amid what investigators say was a cover-up by the university to shield its reputation.

Sandusky, 68, faces a sentence of as many as 373 years in prison after being convicted in June of sexually assaulting 10 boys.

Since the Clery Act requires schools to keep records going back only seven years, the DOE's request for 13 years of records from Penn State is highly unusual, said Dolores Stafford, a campus security consultant and former chief of police at George Washington University in Washington.

"This is the most extensive Clery Act investigation ever conducted," said S. Daniel Carter, director of a safety program at VTV Family Outreach Foundation in Centreville, Virginia.

Penn State declined to comment other than to say it was cooperating with all investigations, according to a spokesman.
Clery Act violators may be punished by fines of up to $27,500 per incident as well as loss of federal aid including grants, loans and work-study payments.

While such violations could put Penn State's $660 million in annual federal student aid at risk, that money appears safe since the DOE has never used its biggest hammer - taking away federal funding - to punish a Clery Act violation.

The harshest penalty has been a $350,000 fine paid by Eastern Michigan University for several violations, including a failure to warn students after the 2006 murder of a classmate, which the school denied for months.

But Penn State could face a much bigger fine based on the number of criminal incidents that may have gone unreported.
Carter said DOE investigators would likely find years of discrepancies like those he found when he worked with Penn State as part of a security watchdog group founded by Clery's parents.

Carter said he met with considerable resistance from Penn State before it finally disclosed 13 sexual offenses on campus in 2002. Its initial report showed zero.

Still, with Penn State's endowment topping $1.8 billion, even a multimillion-dollar fine would be little more than a slap on the wrist. The school also faces an estimated $100 million in settlements with Sandusky's victims.

The Clery Act, passed in 1990, requires allegations of campus crimes to be reported by school staff, from coaches to top administrators, so incidents can be posted and warnings issued.

The Freeh report said those were precisely the people who kept secrets at Penn State.
More...

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2466 on: July 20, 2012, 05:52:22 PM »

Penn State reportedly plans to remove Paterno statue this weekend
July 20 '12

Penn State University reportedly plans to remove its statue of Joe Paterno from its campus this weekend.

NFL Network reporter Kimberly Jones posted on Twitter that the statue that has stood at the State College campus for more than a decade will come down this weekend, and veteran sportscaster Bonnie Bernstein also reported the news on Twitter.

David La Torre, a spokesman for the university, said he was “not aware” of any decision regarding the statue.

Critics have called for the statue to be taken down after a report by former FBI Director Louis Freeh concluded that Paterno was aware as early as 1998 that his assistant coach Jerry Sandusky had been accused of molesting children and helped cover up a 2001 incident. The finding contradicted Paterno's grand jury testimony and statements he made in an interview after his firing.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/07/20/penn-state-reportedly-plans-to-remove-paterno-statue/#ixzz21CZLdRz1
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2467 on: July 20, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/16/ddhln.01.html
DR. DREW

Paterno`s Tarnished Reputation

Aired July 16, 2012 - 21:00   ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

DR. DREW PINSKY, HOST: Here we go.

The suspicious timing and details of Joe Paterno`s deal with Penn State. Did the Jerry Sandusky sex scandal prompt a $5.5 million payoff?
 ::snipping2::So let`s get started.

(MUSIC)

PINSKY: And welcome to the program.

Tonight, we are asking: did Joe Paterno and other top Penn State officials cover up child sex abuse by Jerry Sandusky? Did the former coach receive a huge payoff knowing he could potentially be fired? Take a look.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

LOUIS FREEH, FORMER FBI DIRECTOR: The most powerful men at Penn State failed to take any steps for 14 years to protect the children who Sandusky victimized.

I think that there`s no question that what the report finds is inexcusable failures on the part of Joe Paterno and others to protect children.

JAY PATERNO, JOE PATERNO`S SON: At the time this was reported to Joe, Jerry had never been charged with a crime. A very -- obviously somebody who was upset about something he had seen came to him and Joe went and reported it to his superiors.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: The mural represents State College, not just Penn State. He has done so much for the State College community.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

PINSKY: All right. Well, what`s upsetting people tonight is that according to reports, Paterno got $5.5 million when he left his job and there were reports that the statue of former head football coach, Joe Paterno, would not come down. You heard the university spokesman, however, says nothing has yet been decided.

Joining me: Penn State alum and attorney, Brian Claypool.

I also have Sara Ganim, HLN contributor and reporter for "Patriot News". She won a Pulitzer Prize for her coverage of the Sandusky case.

And attorney for Sandusky victim number one, Mike Boni.

Now, Mike, first to you, how is your client doing and what has his reaction been to the Freeh report?

MIKE BONI, ATTORNEY FOR SANDUSKY VICTIME #1: My client is doing well, under the circumstances. You know, this has been a long slog for him, from basically kicking off this entire investigation by the Pennsylvania A.G.`s office, the trial, the conviction. And then reading the Freeh report, building up all the ire within him, learning how involved Joe Paterno was in the cover-up. He`s quite angry right now, as is his mother.

PINSKY: Now, mike, do we -- something I keep wondering, you know, apparently within the institution of Penn State, they had a policy of merely reporting to superiors if a child was in danger did. They not understand their ethical, and I would dare I say legal obligation to report an allegation of child abuse? Did they just understand that? Or they actually actively relinquishing that responsibility?

BONI: Well, these are intelligent people. It`s beyond all comprehension that they didn`t understand what their responsibilities were. This was the president of the university, the senior vice president for finance and business, the athletic director. And then, of course, the true leader of Penn State, Joe Paterno, a Brown graduate.

There is no way in the world they did not understand their reporting obligations. And judging from the e-mails that went back and forth between Graham Spanier and Tim Curley and others, they knew full well what they should have done but decided after speaking with Joe Paterno not to do what they knew they should have done. And that`s a horrendous mistake.

PINSKY: And, Sara, my understanding is this may have been going on longer than people previously thought, is that right?

SARA GANIM, HLN CONTRIBUTOR: Well, Drew -- Dr. Drew, up until this point, we only knew of victims who had come forward who said they were abused. The earliest date was really like the early 1990s, and that includes some allegations that the attorney general`s office hasn`t even charged yet, that were just made publicly, the allegations were made publicly.

But what I learned today is that the police do know of at least three men, two who say they were abused in 1970s, one says he was abused in the late 1980s, who have come forward in some way, their stories are known to police. I don`t know if they testified before the grand jury. I don`t know if they were formally interviewed. I don`t know if they are considered to be credible.

But I do know they are coming forward with these stories and the could potentially have some impact if they say that they were contacted by Jerry Sandusky the same way that many of these victims that are known to were contacted, through the Second Mile, if they say things like "I was abused on campus". That would fit into the pattern.

And that would raise the question, did they say anything as far back as 20 or 30 years ago, possibly even 40 years ago? Were there people who are aware of this situation long before what we know the situation -- long before the first red flags that we know of?

Now, if the answers of these questions are true, that could have serious ramifications. I`m not sure it will have a huge impact on the criminal case.

PINSKY: And, Brian, you`re an alum, you`re an attorney, you got a head of steam here. This all look bad.

Five and a half million dollars, it looks like he put that ahead of child safety.

BRIAN CLAYPOOL, PENN STATE ALUM: Look, how in the world can you pay somebody $5.5 million knowing that that person signed off on allowing a known child predator to peruse that campus of Penn State? What kind of message does that send to society?

PINSKY: Now, are you part of the alumni association? Is this general attitude people have that are associated with Penn State or people wanting to put this behind them somehow?

CLAYPOOL: Oh, no. Yes, first of all, I`m part of the alumni association and I`ve been active at Penn State. By the way, I cried when I first learned that Joe Paterno had been fired from Penn State. I also cried when I learned about the Sandusky violations.

But I will tell you now, Dr. Drew, that I am beyond the tears. I`m so upset and disgusted with what`s happening, how Penn State has handled this. And now you`re going to pay this gentleman?
Let me tell you why, real quick, why I think Graham Spanier paid him. Because Graham Spanier was in on the conspiracy. Both he and Paterno signed off on not reporting Mike McQueary`s report of Sandusky abusing the boy in the locker room. They both knew it, didn`t report it, so we had to pay him, pay Paterno, the money.

PINSKY: Now, Sarah, this is what your alumni are thinking. Is that what people are thinking on the ground there at Penn State?

GANIM: You know, I think there`s a lot of mixed emotions. I know we talked back in November, you and I, and I told you it was very somber on campus and then -- one day and the next day, it would be a roller coaster of emotions, people would get angry.

You know, when this Freeh report came out, I didn`t hear a lot of support for Paterno, which we had been hearing for -- very adamantly over the last seven months. Then over the weekend, I started to hear that again.

So, I think people are again going through this wave of emotions and some people are changing their mind about, you know, supporting -- vocally supporting Joe Paterno. Others are standing behind him and saying that the Freeh report was flawed. That`s something I have heard a lot, was that these allegations that Penn State alum, who feel loyal to Paterno, believe that Louis Freeh went in with an agenda. The board of trustees hired him, the university paid him more than $6 million to conduct this investigation.

And, really, they kind of came away without a -- without much repercussions. It was, you know, a slap on the wrist for the board of trustees. So, some Paterno loyalists feel they had to pin the blame on the dead guy basically to appease his boss. That`s just a point of view but we are still hearing that.

And on the other side, you know, we are hearing what I`ve been hearing from a lot of people for the last seven months that was Paterno was the leader at that university and that he had to have known. So, you know, there`s a lot of mixed emotions.

PINSKY: I don`t know, you bring in the head of the FBI and then question his integrity, I don`t know about that.

So, we`re going to keep this conversation going. More on all this when we return.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

PINSKY: Welcome back.

We are speaking about the Sandusky case and the fact that Joe Paterno may have been paid off before he was fired.

Let me go right to the phone calls. I`ve got Allison in California.

Allison, you had a comment?

ALLISON, CALLER FROM CALIFORNIA: Yes, I was wondering what makes this Sandusky case different from the Michael Jackson case. They are both being accused of child molestation. Michael Jackson was acquitted of all charges. No one of the victims came out and said he had done this.

Now, seems like with the Sandusky case, he seems to be -- he is going to be charged. What makes both cases different?

PINSKY: Brian, go ahead. And I`ll ask Mike.

CLAYPOOL: Yes, Allison. The difference here is we are dealing with top individuals at a major university who had an awareness of the child abuse that was going on, Paterno, Spanier, Schultz -- they were all told about the child abuse in both 1998, by the way, and then 2001.

They have an affirmative obligation to protect children at Penn State and all schools nationwide. That`s the difference here. We were talking about do they have the responsibility to safeguard kids?

And pursuant to the Freeh report, he concluded that all the -- the failures to act, Penn State administration caused future children to be abused. This is a monumental issue in our country right now.

PINSKY: Mike, you have anything to add to that?

BONI: The only thing that I would add is in the Michael Jackson case, as I recall, there were just a couple of accusers. In this case, at the trial, which I saw, there were eight accusers, all of whom gave absolutely such compelling testimony that was impossible for the jury not to find against Sandusky.

PINSKY: Let`s go to another call. Nancy in Indiana.

Nancy, you have a comment?
NANCY, CALLER FROM INDIANA: Yes. First of all, I thought initially that Joe Paterno had talked to someone about it and it never got any further. And now it seems like, you know, now that he can`t defend himself and he is dead, all of a sudden, he is the scapegoat, where you don`t hear so much about the three. Yes, they have gotten themselves in trouble or whatever, but all of a sudden it`s Joe Paterno.

PINSKY: Nancy, I agree with you.

Brian, you are saying no.

But I think what caught people`s attention today is the big payoff and, you know, he is sort of the figurehead of the school and there`s talk about his statue and I guess the halo over his head was painted over recently on a mural. I mean, he`s a symbol of this thing, even though Nancy`s got a point. He`s not really the primary issue in all of this, is he?

CLAYPOOL: He is the primary issue in it because he is Penn State. I grew up there. He is -- they sell everything in Pennsylvania with Joe Paterno`s name on it. He knew in 1998 that Sandusky showered with a little boy, touched him.

PINSKY: Yes.

CLAYPOOL: And that Sandusky told his boy, I love you. Are you kidding me?

CLAYPOOL: Are you kidding me?

PINSKY: You know, Brian, regardless of all the other allegation, we know this to be factual, because he admitted to that, and there`s evidence, there`s hard evidence that`s just indisputable. That`s enough for you frankly.

And, Mike, is that enough for you as well? I mean, you actually talked to your client who has further allegations. But, my goodness, we have massive violation of the basic boundaries of bodily integrity with this man.

BONI: Absolutely. I agree completely.

I mean, knowing back in `98 gives him a total context to then in 2001, after hearing Mike McQueary report what McQueary saw gives Paterno the context back to 1998 and still he does nothing, still he doesn`t report to law enforcement. That`s just incomprehensible.

PINSKY: Quickly, Brenda in Massachusetts -- Brenda.

BRENDA, CALLER FROM MASSACHUSETTS: Hi, Dr. Drew. Do you think that many children are viewed as liars when they first come forward, to tell of the abuse?

PINSKY: You know, Brenda --

BRENDA: This case and other cases, too?

PINSKY: Yes, Brenda, historically, I think, there was a tendency to be suspect of these sorts of allegations.

And I got to tell you, I`ve been talking about child sexual abuse really much of my career in media, because I have seen it throughout my career in medicine as a major problem in this country, almost epidemic proportion, having a massive impact on so many of my patients. And people used to always say to me, oh, we`re just talking about it more now.

But I think now, people understand, particularly this case has raised awareness that it`s something more of that.

And, Sara, we have a lot of thanks to you for having reported this and also thank you for joining us as well today.

Mike, thank you.

And, of course, Brian, thank you for joining us here.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2468 on: July 20, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/17/ddhln.01.html

DR. DREW

Paterno`s Legacy

Aired July 17, 2012 - 21:00   ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

DR. DREW PINSKY, HOST: Here we go.

More fallout in the Penn State child sex abuse scandal. I`m speaking to students and alums about the latest push to scrub Joe Paterno`s image from school traditions.

So, let`s get started.

(MUSIC)

PINSKY: Thank you for joining us this evening.

I know you have been watching carefully as the story unfolds about the two young girls missing. And I`m so fearful that that story is going to connect to the story on the Penn State campus that we are following, where emotions continue to run high.

What I`m saying is the possibility that a perpetrator is loose. And in this country today, this unfortunately is something that is reaching ridiculous proportions. So as I said, emotions continue to run high on the Penn State campus.

Is Joe Paterno`s legacy in ruins? A student group says it is changing the name of Paternoville, the campus site set up outside Beaver Stadium before home games.

Reaction on the group`s Facebook page was swift and scathing. Here are some of the comments. "Joe doesn`t deserve any of this crap, shameful, cowardly and knee-jerk." "Annoying and pathetic, way to turn your back and join the bandwagon. What kind of students are you?"

These are what students are saying to other students about the students that are trying to raise -- well, I don`t know. This is very confusing.

Joining me, attorney and Penn State alum Brian Claypool. By Skype, I have Catherine Janisko, a current Penn State student, and Jeff Lowe, V.P. of Paternoville, now called Nittanyville.

Brian, what`s this all about? How do you make sense of this?

BRIAN CLAYPOOL, PENN STATE ALUM: Dr. Drew, the Penn State tsunami didn`t begin in 2001. From what I`ve learned today, it began in 1998. There is a mountain of evidence now, Dr. Drew, that clearly shows that Sandusky should have been prosecuted in 1998.

PINSKY: Was it Paterno that covered for him?

CLAYPOOL: Paterno not only covered, he actually wrote an e-mail to Gary Schultz and say, is this taken care of yet? He wanted to push it under the carpet. We had two boys in 1998, two boys in 1998 that reported Sandusky in the shower with them.

CLAYPOOL: And actually, I don`t know if a lot of folks know this, but there was actually an audiotape of Sandusky basically saying in the audio, "Yes, I made an inappropriate touching of these kids." He says, "Oh, God, I wish I was dead right now."

The campus police at Penn State took this to the D.A. And the D.A. decides, in a rush, we`re not going to do anything about it.

PINSKY: Is the D.A. is going to be part of the shakedown?

CLAYPOOL: Absolutely. Not even talking as a lawyer right now. I`m talking just as a father of a 7-year-old. I`m talking as a Penn State alum and a human being.

The D.A.`s office in Centre County needs to be prosecuted. They have no excuse for not prosecuting Sandusky in 1998.

PINSKY: That`s a big deal. I mean, that has not been in a lot of the discussions I have seen yet. Holding those guys accountable is part of the authority structure that allowed this to go on for years so other kids were victimized.

CLAYPOOL: That`s the whole point here because I personally believe that there`s a grand conspiracy and it began in 1998. And that the officials at Penn State, including Paterno, exerted undue influence on the district attorney`s office to convince him to not prosecute Sandusky.

PINSKY: Those are the four key players seeing on the screen now.

Jeff Lowe, I want to go out to you -- why are the students reacting so negatively to your call to change the name to Nittanyville from Paternoville? Why isn`t there more of a consensus on campus?

JEFF LOWE, V.P. OF "NITTANYVILLE": You know, it`s something that I they have you have seen, you have covered this now since November. And I think it goes beyond students.

I want to make this clear that a lot of people reaching out to us through Facebook, through e-mail, they are alumni. And I think a lot of students, in a sense, understand why we made it. Alumni don`t. And they`re defending Paterno in a way they don`t read into what we did.

We talked to Jay Paterno about this and he understood our reasoning doing this, which was taking the attention off of us so we cannot only focus our main goal, which is to be there for football, so we can sit there and do our part in raising child sex abuse awareness without having to worry about organizations not dealing with us because Paterno`s name was on it and feeling uneasy about, you know, doing that type of work with us.

So it`s -- as a whole, it is still a tough thing for them to accept, that Joe was being involved with this and they are not really happy. They think we are traitors.

PINSKY: OK. Now, Catherine, you kept us afield of what`s going on on the ground there with the student body. And I`ve got the feeling from you in the past that there was sort of a consensus growing they needed to be -- the victims need to be prioritized, victim awareness and empowerment was really a big feature of campus life.

Yet, as I have begun to cover this story in the last couple of days, I have had a tremendous, a tsunami backlash of hate e-mails and Twitters and Facebook sort of postings. So what is going on, on campus?

CATHERINE JANISKO, PENN STATE STUDENT: You know what I have to agree with what Jeff is saying. Paternoville is doing what they need to do to take the necessary steps to promote child -- to promote the awareness of child abuse, and that`s what they have to do.

And he`s right. These are a lot of -- these are alumni who are responding to these things. And, you know, we talk about taking down the statue and scrubbing Joe Paterno`s name of off trophies that once existed, that he was awarded with, you know, does that really make a difference, scrubbing a name off of a material item? Is that really going to protect children in the future at Penn State?

I don`t think so. I really don`t.

PINSKY: Let`s take a call.

Bill in New York. Bill, you had a comment for us?

BILL, CALLER FROM NEW YORK: Yes, just wondering how -- the university didn`t know about nothing going on. You know, come on. There`s a chain of command and everybody out there in Penn State knows what`s going on. Come on.

PINSKY: I think, Brian this is your point.

CLAYPOOL: Bill, you are exactly right. I will tell that you the top four people at Penn State knew what was going on, including Paterno, back in 1998. I looked at the mountain of evidence presented to the D.A. in 1998 and there`s categorically no excuse for that D.A. to not have prosecuted Sandusky then. Had he done so, then eight other boys would not have been abused and --

PINSKY: That we know of.

CLAYPOOL: Right. There could be a lot more.

PINSKY: There could be others, yes.

CLAYPOOL: There could be a lot more. Now we have got some kids back from the `70s.

PINSKY: That`s what I`m hearing.

CLAYPOOL: Yes.

And one more thing I wanted to note -- Bill, you should know this -- a lot of people don`t know this, but the lead investigator from the Penn State campus police, when he got all the information regarding the 1998 investigation, he was so concerned about making sure that something was done about it, he bypassed, taking it to Penn State administration. He took it directly to the district attorney`s office.

What does that tell you? He might have had another experience before that.

PINSKY: Where they have brushed it under the carpet?

CLAYPOOL: Exactly.

PINSKY: That is very interesting.

CLAYPOOL: He bypassed the administration.

PINSKY: Bill, thanks for that call.

Quickly now, Margaret in Pennsylvania. Margaret, you wanted a question or comment yourself?

MARGARET, CALLER FROM PENNSYLVANIA: Yes. Is it JoePa`s fault that he wasn`t prosecuted? Absolutely not. Are you going to wipe his name off all the buildings at Penn State? Absolutely not. I just -- I just totally disagree with this.

PINSKY: I think that`s what -- Catherine, isn`t that what you were saying basically is that there`s many other players here and his name for things he -- go ahead tell us, Catherine.

JANISKO: You know, if Penn State is really going to take the necessary effort to move forward and to make it a better community and an environment for children in the future, I don`t think taking a name off of a material item or a building or removing a statue of Joe Paterno is going to do anything at all. Of course, people may walk by his statue and say, oh, that`s disgusting.

How is that, you know, moving the effort to protect children in the future? It`s really not. It`s a material thing.

PINSKY: All right, guys, thank you very much. Thank you to Jeff, Catherine, of course, Brian, as always. Thank you.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2469 on: July 20, 2012, 09:11:50 PM »

http://twitter.com/cvmikesisak

8m Michael Sisak ‏@cvmikesisak
Dickie V & I are on the same track with proposed PSU penalty, except my plan calls for 100% of football proceeds to charity. Details Sunday.

8h Dick Vitale ‏@DickieV
Idea on PSU - y have innocent kids & coaches suffer - Penalize school - make them give 50 % football gate receipts to child abuse charities.
Retweeted by Michael Sisak

49m Ron Musselman ‏@rmusselmansc
As rumors swirl, Sue Paterno visited her late husband's statue Friday, along with son David and daughter Mark Kay Hort, and Franco Harris.

1h Michael Sisak ‏@cvmikesisak
It feels like a raw, fall day in NEPA. Almost football weather.

Lead Joepalogist MT @BillWadell: Franco Harris just told 6News Freeh report showed no Paterno coverup, taking down statue would be mistake.

Nice @ADreyPhotos video on debate over Joe Paterno statue: http://bit.ly/Meqd5N
Expand
 Reply  Retweet  Favorite
Beautifully stated. RT @Jasonplotkin: I cannot let people like James Holmes take this world from my daughter. http://bit.ly/Meplhy

1h AP_Top25 ‏@AP_Top25
Miami coach Al Golden's staff reportedly used booster's associate http://yhoo.it/QidALG%0A (@CharlesRobinson) #TheU

Reply  Retweet  Favorite
2h Michael Sisak ‏@cvmikesisak
@SeanSimmers @ADreyPhotos @patricksmith04 Maybe he can take the statue with him.

2h Michael Sisak ‏@cvmikesisak
@ADreyPhotos @SeanSimmers Is @JoeHermitt there? Also, newly engaged @patricksmith04 wants to know as soon as decision is made to tear down.

3h Onward State ‏@OnwardState
MT @djv5030: Email from PSU OPP head Paul Ruskin: "To the best of my knowledge, there are no plans for removing the statue this weekend."

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2470 on: July 21, 2012, 05:05:59 AM »

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/state/sanduskys-insurer-claims-it-should-not-have-to-pay-for-his-criminal-defense-645557/
Sandusky's insurer claims it should not have to pay for his criminal defense
July 20, 2012

An insurance company has sued Jerry Sandusky and his wife, Dottie, seeking a court decision that their homeowner's policy does not provide coverage for his criminal defense or lawsuits by his victims.

State Farm Fire and Casualty Co. filed the suit in U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania on Thursday, arguing that the homeowner's policy issued to the retired Penn State University assistant football coach does not cover claims for injuries covered by intentional acts.

Insurance industry experts say such lawsuits are not unusual in cases where there is a question of whether a person's actions are intentional.

"You are covered under your homeowner's policy for negligent acts, which a lot of people don't realize," said Scott Cooper, an attorney with the Harrisburg law firm Schmidt Kramer. "Until the insurance company gets a judgment that this was intentional, they have to provide coverage."
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2471 on: July 21, 2012, 05:10:37 AM »

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/20/3267537/penn-state-community-still-waiting.html
Family visits Paterno statue as rumors spread
July 20, 2012

Penn State hasn’t announced a decision about the future of the Joe Paterno statue, but family and fans of the late coach took time to visit the statue Friday as the possibility that the university will remove it from outside Beaver Stadium loomed.

Sue Paterno and two of the Paternos’ children, Mary Kay Hort and David Paterno, along with Nittany Lion letterman and NFL Hall of Famer Franco Harris, an outspoken supporter of Paterno and critic of the way the university fired him, stopped by as fans formed a long line to get pictures with the landmark.

Harris said the Freeh report — which cast blame on Paterno along with three administrators for the Jerry Sandusky scandal — shows there was no cover-up and removing the statue should be out the question.

“To me, the statue shouldn’t even be in the picture at all,” he said.

Harris posed for pictures with visitors, some of whom thanked him for the support he’s shown.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2472 on: July 21, 2012, 05:20:09 AM »

Look at the photos of this house!  $$$$$

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/20/3266918/psu-staff-to-tour-schreyer-house.html#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=pop
Penn State employees offered exclusive opportunity to tour Schreyer House
July 20, 2012

UNIVERSITY PARK — No one has lived in the 9,000 square-foot, Tudor-style home for Penn State’s president since Graham Spanier moved out after he was fired late last year.

Since then, employees have rung Old Main, asking if they can tour the stately house that’s down a long driveway off Park Avenue while it’s vacant. Next week, they’ll get their chance.

The university is holding an employee-only open house at the home from noon to 6 p.m. July 27. The public is not invited and employees are asked not to bring guests.
 ::snipping2::She said President Rodney Erickson “thought it would be a good idea to have an open house and invite the employees. The response has been incredible.”

The house, built in 1928, sits on 76 acres amid trees. The property is next to the College Heights neighborhood.

Spanier, fired in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal, was the only president to take up residence there, arriving here in 1995. When Erickson was named president, he opted not to move into the home, instead staying at his residence in Ferguson Township.

Historically, Penn State presidents had lived on campus in the University House, which is now attached to the Hintz Family Alumni Center. But student protests led to the university buying a property in 1970 that’s off-campus in Harris Township where three presidents lived for the next 25 years.

In 1995, the university sold that property, on Kennard Road, for $750,000 and renovated the Schreyer House, which it had bought in 1988, from the family of alumnus Howard Walton Mitchell, a judge in Allegheny County who used it as a summer residence.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2473 on: July 21, 2012, 05:22:37 AM »

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/20/3266906/corbetts-role-under-scrutiny.html#wgt=rcntnews
Corbett's dual role as Penn State trustee, former attorney general under scrutiny
July 20, 2012

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2474 on: July 21, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »

Look at the photos of this house!  $$$$$

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/20/3266918/psu-staff-to-tour-schreyer-house.html#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=pop
Penn State employees offered exclusive opportunity to tour Schreyer House
July 20, 2012

UNIVERSITY PARK — No one has lived in the 9,000 square-foot, Tudor-style home for Penn State’s president since Graham Spanier moved out after he was fired late last year.

Since then, employees have rung Old Main, asking if they can tour the stately house that’s down a long driveway off Park Avenue while it’s vacant. Next week, they’ll get their chance.

The university is holding an employee-only open house at the home from noon to 6 p.m. July 27. The public is not invited and employees are asked not to bring guests.
 ::snipping2::She said President Rodney Erickson “thought it would be a good idea to have an open house and invite the employees. The response has been incredible.”

The house, built in 1928, sits on 76 acres amid trees. The property is next to the College Heights neighborhood.

Spanier, fired in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal, was the only president to take up residence there, arriving here in 1995. When Erickson was named president, he opted not to move into the home, instead staying at his residence in Ferguson Township.

Historically, Penn State presidents had lived on campus in the University House, which is now attached to the Hintz Family Alumni Center. But student protests led to the university buying a property in 1970 that’s off-campus in Harris Township where three presidents lived for the next 25 years.

In 1995, the university sold that property, on Kennard Road, for $750,000 and renovated the Schreyer House, which it had bought in 1988, from the family of alumnus Howard Walton Mitchell, a judge in Allegheny County who used it as a summer residence.

...wow, spectacular home, Muffy. And the original owner used it as a summer home!   
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2475 on: July 21, 2012, 11:51:20 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-gunther/the-paterno-monument-bewa_b_1686523.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003
The Paterno Monument: Beware Hubris
By Paul Gunther
July 19, 2012

jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #2476 on: July 22, 2012, 08:40:51 AM »

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Penn-State-president-orders-Joe-Paterno-statue-removal--072212

Paterno statue to be removed
Updated Jul 22, 2012 8:02 AM
Penn State University will remove the famed statue of Joe Paterno outside its football stadium, eliminating a key piece of the iconography surrounding the once-sainted football coach accused of burying child sex abuse allegations against a retired assistant.

The university said Sunday that it will take down the larger-than-life monument in the face of an investigative report by former FBI Director Louis Freeh that found the late coach, along with three top Penn State administrators, concealed the abuse claims against Jerry Sandusky more than a decade ago in order to shield the university and its football program from negative publicity.
A spokeswoman for the Paterno family did not immediately return phone and email messages Sunday morning.
Construction vehicles and police arrived shortly after dawn Sunday, barricading the street and sidewalks near the statue, erecting a chain-link fence then concealing the statue with a blue tarp.
A live video feed posted on the website of the Centre Daily Times of State College showed workers in white hard hats draping a plastic sheet over the statue, preparing for its removal.
Penn State President Rod Erickson said he decided to have the statue removed and put into storage because it ''has become a source of division and an obstacle to healing.''
''I believe that, were it to remain, the statue will be a recurring wound to the multitude of individuals across the nation and beyond who have been the victims of child abuse,'' Erickson said in a statement released at 7 a.m. Sunday.
He said Paterno's name will remain on the campus library because it ''symbolizes the substantial and lasting contributions to the academic life and educational excellence that the Paterno family has made to Penn State University.''
The bronze sculpture outside Beaver Stadium has been a rallying point for students and alumni outraged over Paterno's firing four days after Sandusky's Nov. 5 arrest - and grief-stricken over the Hall of Fame coach's Jan. 22 death at age ….. ::snipping2::
But it turned into a target for critics after the Freeh report's stunning allegation of a cover-up by Paterno, ousted President Graham Spanier and two Penn State officials, Athletic Director Tim Curley and Vice President Gary Schultz. Their failure to report Sandusky to child-welfare authorities in 2001 allowed him to continue molesting boys, the report found.
Paterno's family, along with attorneys for Spanier, Curley and Schultz, vehemently deny any suggestion they protected a pedophile. Curley and Schultz await trial on charges of failing to report child abuse and lying to a grand jury but maintain their innocence. Spanier hasn't been charged. Sandusky was convicted last month of 45 counts of sexual abuse of 10 boys.
Some newspaper columnists and former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden have said the statue should be taken down, while a small plane pulled a banner over State College reading, ''Take the statue down or we will.''
But Paterno still has plenty of fans, and Penn State's decision to remove the monument won't sit well with them. One student even vowed to ''chain myself to that statue'' if there was an attempt to remove it.
University officials had called the issue a sensitive one in light of Paterno's enormous contributions to the school over a 61-year coaching career. The Paterno family is well-known in the community for philanthropic efforts, including the millions of dollars they've donated to the university to help build a library and fund endowments and scholarships.
The statue, nearly 7 feet tall and weighing more than 900 pounds, was built in 2001 in honor of Paterno's record-setting 324th Division 1 coaching victory and his ''contributions to the university.''

Challapalca him!
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2477 on: July 22, 2012, 09:18:39 AM »

Joe Paterno statue taken down

Updated: July 22, 2012, 9:01 AM ET
By Don Van Natta Jr. | ESPN.com

The Joe Paterno statue was removed Sunday morning from its pedestal outside Beaver Stadium, and it will be stored in an unnamed "secure location," Penn State president Rodney Erickson announced. Erickson also said the Paterno name will remain on the university's library.

Shortly before dawn in State College, Pa., a work crew installed chain-link fences to barricade access to Porter Road outside Beaver Stadium and covered the fence with a blue tarp.

The work crew then removed the 7-foot high bronze statue by forklift and placed it into the lower level of the stadium. Erickson released his highly sensitive decision to the public at 7 a.m. ET Sunday.

The decision came 10 days after a scathing report by former FBI director Louis J. Freeh found that Paterno, with three other top Penn State administrators, had concealed the allegations of child sexual abuse made by former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky. The Freeh report concluded their motive was to shield the university and its football program from negative publicity.

Erickson's decision to remove the statue but keep the Paterno name on the library appears to be the product of compromise. Keeping his name on the library does not entirely disconnect Penn State from Paterno's contributions -- from the millions of dollars he donated to his 61-year coaching career to the university's academic life.

Erickson said in recent days he had heard "many differing opinions" about the fate of the Paterno statue and the best way to "memorialize such a revered figure."

"I now believe that, contrary to is original intention, Coach Paterno's statue has become a source of division and an obstacle to hearing in our university and beyond," Erickson said in his 592-word statement. "For that reason, I have decided that it is in the best interest of our university and public safety to remove the statue and store it in a secure location."

If the statue of Paterno, his right index finger raised in a No. 1 salute, had remained in its current location, Erickson said he believed it would "be a recurring wound to the multitude of individuals across the nation and beyond who have been the victims of child abuse."

Erickson's announcement came exactly six months after Paterno died.

Erickson acknowledged that his decision is bound to be an unpopular one in central Pennsylvania.

"I fully realize that my decision will not be popular in some Penn State circles, but I am certain it is the right and principled decision," he said.

Erickson did not say where the statue would be kept. He also did not say whether it would be later placed in a public place for viewing or placed into storage. Trustees over the past two days who have spoken with Erickson said two possible locations have been discussed: the Penn State sports museum and the library, which still bears the Paterno family name.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8188530/joe-paterno-statue-removed-penn-state-university-beaver-stadium
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2478 on: July 22, 2012, 09:20:23 AM »

How about melting the statute down and renaming the library.  The Board of Trustees and President just don't get it.

Start fresh.  Remove everything.

This is just a move by Penn State to shut people up.  They think they are fooling everyone and they are not.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2479 on: July 22, 2012, 09:28:31 AM »

Penn State is more worried about Joe Paterno's family's feeling than the children who were raped by Jerry Sandusky one of their coaches.  Joe Paterno failed to protect these children along with many others at Penn State.  He wielded so much power that people were afraid to go against Paterno.

RENAME THE LIBRARY.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.