March 18, 2024, 11:36:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fmr PSU Coach Jerry Sandusky Convicted on 45 Counts of Sexual Abuse of 10 Boys  (Read 1001306 times)
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #2520 on: July 24, 2012, 03:50:25 AM »

I've got to say, I'm sick at heart over some of the comments made by people I've considered friends who have been outraged by the NCAA decision.  How can people be so brainwashed as to think that a sport or coach is more important than human lives.  And no, no one died a physical death.  But then, maybe for some of these young boys that would have been more humane than what they've been through in dealing with life after Jer.  These victims have a lifetime of dealing with the horror they've lived through as CHILDREN.  Why can't people see this?

Getting off my soapbox now.  Just really discouraged by the attitude of some people that I had credited with more intelligence and morals.  Society has really declined.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2521 on: July 24, 2012, 07:24:20 AM »

I've got to say, I'm sick at heart over some of the comments made by people I've considered friends who have been outraged by the NCAA decision.  How can people be so brainwashed as to think that a sport or coach is more important than human lives.  And no, no one died a physical death. But then, maybe for some of these young boys that would have been more humane than what they've been through in dealing with life after Jer.  These victims have a lifetime of dealing with the horror they've lived through as CHILDREN.  Why can't people see this?

Getting off my soapbox now.  Just really discouraged by the attitude of some people that I had credited with more intelligence and morals.  Society has really declined.

I understand where you're coming from kittymom. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2522 on: July 24, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »

Once again, in my opinion the Paterno Family needs to be quiet.  The more they speak, the more disgusted I become.  They  feel they should have been consulted and their input considered before the NCAA levied their sanctions?  Who the heck do these people think they are?!!  Get off your high horses already!! Geez.  It's not all about Joe Paterno here. Talk about smacking of elitism and wielding power!   This is part of what got PSU in it's present state.     This says it all for me, in regard to the Paterno Family at this time:
“The sanctions announced by the NCAA today defame the legacy and contributions of a great coach and educator without any input from our family or those who knew him best,” the statement said."     JMHO

http://citizensvoice.com/news/the-reckoning-penn-state-fined-60m-banned-from-bowls-stripped-of-111-paterno-wins-1.1347103
The reckoning: Penn State fined $60M, banned from bowls, stripped of 111 Paterno wins
By Michael Sisak
July 23, 2012

::snipping2::Emmert said he wanted to ensure Penn State became a place where football would never again be placed ahead of “educating, nurturing and protecting young people.”

"One of the grave dangers is that the sports themselves can become too big to fail, indeed, too big to even challenge,” Emmert said at a news conference at the NCAA’s headquarters in Indianapolis. “The result can be an erosion of academic values that are replaced by the value of hero worship and winning at all costs.”

::snipping2::

Matt Casey, an attorney representing three victims who testified at Sandusky’s trial, said the university’s free acceptance of the sanctions, coupled with the damning findings of its own internal investigation, would factor significantly into civil litigation and settlement negotiations.

“Yet another group of investigators weighing in on what happened here have decided that this coverup warranted punishment or punitive measures,” Casey said. By signing the consent decree, he said, Erickson was “essentially admitting that this conduct was reprehensible and shocking.”

Ed Ray, the chairman of the NCAA's executive committee, told reporters in Indianapolis his organization not only had a duty to act against Penn State, but a moral obligation to do so.

"There has been much speculation on whether or not the NCAA has the authority to impose any type of penalty related to Penn State," Ray, the president of Oregon State, said. "This egregious behavior not only goes against our rules and constitution, but also against our values."

In a statement Monday, Paterno’s family criticized the university and the NCAA for accepting Freeh’s investigation as the “final word on the Sandusky scandal.”

“The sanctions announced by the NCAA today defame the legacy and contributions of a great coach and educator without any input from our family or those who knew him best,” the statement said.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2523 on: July 24, 2012, 07:39:01 AM »

http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworld/pennsylvania/mc-penn-state-child-abuse-victims-reaction-20120723,0,5723786.story
NCAA sanctions send strong message on abuse
Victims advocates hope NCAA action will resonate with leaders of all institutions.

By Peter Hall and Nicole Radzievich
July 23, 2012

The NCAA's sanctions in response to the Jerry Sandusky scandal hold a lesson not just for Penn State, but every institution in the country, experts on childhood sexual abuse said.

Though expensive and painful for Penn State, which will pay $73 million in fines and lose its status as a football powerhouse, the greatest impact may be the message that the cost of covering up for an abuser can be greater than the embarrassment of exposing a crime.

"The NCAA, in less than a year, has set the standard for how to handle these cases," said attorney Marci Hamilton, who represents an Ohio man in a sex-abuse lawsuit against Sandusky and Penn State. "It's an example and a reminder that if you are covering up sexual abuse, you had better come clean sooner than later."

Some expressed hope that the Penn State scandal and the university's penalties will raise awareness of the consequences of protecting abusers in a way that the Catholic Church's pedophile priests scandal has not.
More...

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2524 on: July 24, 2012, 08:04:02 AM »

I've got to say, I'm sick at heart over some of the comments made by people I've considered friends who have been outraged by the NCAA decision.  How can people be so brainwashed as to think that a sport or coach is more important than human lives.  And no, no one died a physical death.  But then, maybe for some of these young boys that would have been more humane than what they've been through in dealing with life after Jer.  These victims have a lifetime of dealing with the horror they've lived through as CHILDREN.  Why can't people see this?

KittyMom, I agree with you.  It is always disappointing to find out what "gods" people actually worship.
Human lives have less and less value to others.  It's almost like some people are saying the victims just need to get over it, after all, they didn't die.  Dying on the inside can be worse than a physical death and I applaud these victims for being able to reach within and move on with their lives.  That wasn't easy . . . that isn't easy.
People choose not to see it because they would have to look at their own lives and those around them.  Often that is not a pretty picture.  Introspection is not something many people will do.  For the outcome of introspection generally leads to action and many people would rather sit back and not see or criticize what they do see.  Complacency is rampant.
Off my soap box now.  JMO

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2525 on: July 24, 2012, 09:37:39 AM »

Just following along on how some folks think.  I read earlier the Paterno Family were unhappy because they weren't consulted in regard to the NCAA sanctions.  The article below is about a gentlemen that donated money toward the Joe Paterno statue and was unhappy (so unhappy he sought a court order!)  because he wasn't "consulted" before the decision to remove it.  Geesh!

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/penn_state_donor_says_he_sough.html
Penn State donor says he sought court order to keep Joe Paterno statue up
July 24, 2012

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — A State College businessman who donated money toward the now-removed statue of Joe Paterno says he sought a court order to prevent Penn State from taking down the bronze likeness of the late coach.

Eddie Lauth says his request for a preliminary injunction was denied on Friday and a hearing on the matter was scheduled for this week. The 7-foot statue was taken down early Sunday.
Lauth says he donated $25,000 toward the statue’s cost and complained he wasn’t consulted about the decision.

Comments:

disposition462
I understand 25K is a lot of money (but maybe not that much if you have that much to give away). But when you donate money to an organization, do you expect to be consulted about how they use it? I wouldn't expect that...I'd just stop donating if I disagreed with how they were using my donation.
23 Minutes AgoReply

loraxofliberty
Amen to that. Even a donation with restricitons doesn't include consultation in perpetuity.
20 Minutes AgoReply

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2526 on: July 24, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/story/2012-07-24/moodys-might-downgrade-penn-state-credit-rating/56457656/1
Moody's considers downgrading Penn State credit rating
July 24, 2012

NEW YORK (AP) – Moody's Investors Service said Tuesday that it might cut its rating on Penn State's credit as the university deals with the fallout from the Jerry Sandusky child sexual-abuse case and sanctions against the school's football team.

The agency has an 'Aa1' rating on the university's credit. That is its second-highest possible rating. The firm said a recent report by former FBI Director Louis Freeh and sanctions levied by the NCAA could hurt student enrollment and fundraising for the university, and the school also faces uncertainty in the form of ongoing federal and state investigations.

Penn State has about $1 billion in debt, Moody's said. A downgrade could make it more expensive for Penn State to borrow money, which would be another long-term cost in a scandal that has already cost the school immeasurably.
The announcement comes a day after the NCAA fined Penn State $60 million, banned the school from playing in bowl games for four years, and stripped the team of dozens of scholarships, among other penalties. The Big Ten conference levied additional sanctions.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2527 on: July 24, 2012, 01:56:14 PM »

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/24/usa-pennstate-insurance-idINL2E8IO85O20120724
UPDATE 1-Insurer sues to keep from paying Penn State abuser's legal bills
July 24, 2012

(Reuters) - Insurer State Farm said it should be exempt from paying for legal bills arising from former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky's child sexual abuse case.

State Farm Fire and Casualty Co sold Sandusky a homeowner policy and filed a federal lawsuit last week arguing that the policy does not cover injuries caused by intentional, willful or malicious acts.

The State Farm policy provided limited personal liability coverage.
The company asked that the court declare that the policy did not cover legal costs for his criminal defense or civil lawsuits arising from the case.

Federal Insurance Co, which covers the Second Mile, the charity Sandusky founded for at-risk youth in 1977, is making payments for his defense, Sandusky's attorney Brian Osias said last week.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2528 on: July 24, 2012, 01:58:21 PM »

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8194692/penn-state-nittany-lions-state-farm-drops-sponsorship-penn-state
State Farm won't sponsor Penn State
Updated July 24, 2012

State Farm Insurance has pulled its sponsorship of Penn State football in the wake of the child sex-abuse scandal that has resulted in drastic sanctions against the school.

The insurance company confirmed its decision Tuesday, stating that it will no longer advertise at Beaver Stadium or during television and radio broadcasts of the Nittany Lions' home games.

"As a result of all the activity that's happening, we decided to pull the sponsorship to continue to show our support for the victims," State Farm spokeswoman Arlene Lester said. "We have decided to cancel our football sponsorship for the coming season, but will remain sponsors for all the other (Penn State) teams we support."

State Farm has stipulated that it will continue its support of Penn State's other athletic teams. The company also said it will not remove ads during football games in which the Nittany Lions are the road team.

Conversely, Pepsi announced Tuesday that it will continue its advertising and sponsorship of Penn State.

"We are deeply disturbed by the findings of the investigation and the conduct of certain individuals at Penn State University, but will continue to honor our longstanding contract as a campus provider," the soft-drink manufacturer said in a statement.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2529 on: July 24, 2012, 02:19:21 PM »

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/penn_state_could_pay_millions_1.html
Penn State could pay millions over NCAA fine in lawsuits, crisis management
By Sara Ganim, The Patriot-News
July 24, 2012

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2530 on: July 24, 2012, 02:20:37 PM »

http://twitter.com/sganim
4h Sara Ganim ‏@sganim
RT @MMisciagno The concrete wall that once stood behind the Joe Paterno statue has been reduced to rubble http://yfrog.com/h63q4tp
  View photo

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2531 on: July 24, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »

http://m.abc27.com/default.aspx?pid=2705&wnfeedurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.abc27.com%2fstory%2f19095734%2fpeachy-paterno-ice-cream-sales%3fclienttype%3drssstory
Peachy Paterno' ice cream sales going to abuse ..
July 24, 2012

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) - Penn State's popular on-campus creamery is devoting sales of an ice cream flavor named for Joe Paterno to an organization that works with the issue of child sexual abuse.

The university's College of Agricultural Sciences said Monday it would donate sales of Peachy Paterno for the next year, but it hasn't identified the recipient yet.

Berkey Creamery has sold Peachy Paterno since the flavor won an ice-cream naming contest run by the Food Science Club in 1987. A department spokesman says.

yuknomenot
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2532 on: July 24, 2012, 02:26:25 PM »

Those who speak the loudest have the most to hide.  I don't recall the exact quote, but that is the vibe I have been getting from the Paterno family.   They scream about how unfair this all is to Joe, that that they are going to do their own investigation to clear his name.  Ok.  What about how unfair it is to all the innocents involved, where is the Paterno family's concern for them?  Seems to me, if Joe had no knowledge/involvement in the child abuse, that a call by the family for a complete, in depth investigation would not only help the victims attain some sort of justice, but also clear the family name.  The family can't have an investigation, they know the Freeh report is just the beginning, they just want the public to believe they want one.  They know the truth, they certainly don't want us to know.  Their reactions are nothing more than a public relations stunt.  A true, thorough investigation by anyone will never happen because there are too many big, powerful names covering for even bigger, more powerful names and they certainly aren't going to investigate themselves.  All IMOOC
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2533 on: July 24, 2012, 02:36:20 PM »

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8194993/focus-on-victims-change-football-decision-way
Penn State can now focus
Victims, institutional change should begin all of our conversations
By Howard Bryant
July 24, 2012

Monday's action, despite the NCAA's myriad hypocrisies, was not about punishing "innocents," but about correcting the importance of football itself -- its place, its outsized, intimidating power, the responsibility of that power -- and the need to provide appropriate distance from the old history to create a new one.

The message, emphasized by the sanctions, is that in a collective everyone may not be guilty, but no one is innocent. Everyone wears the colors. Everyone cheers the same team. Everyone benefits from the good times. That is why it is called an institution. The players followed and trusted their leaders, and now everyone who chooses to be associated with the institution of Penn State will pay the price.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2534 on: July 24, 2012, 05:16:22 PM »

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/former_penn_state_president_claims_ex-gc_didnt_seek_outside_advice_or_prepa
IN-HOUSE COUNSEL
Former Penn State President Claims Ex-GC Didn’t Seek Outside Advice or Prepare Him for Grand Jury

By Debra Cassens Weiss
Posted July 24, 2012

Former Penn State president Graham Spanier defended his response to allegations against Jerry Sandusky in a letter to university trustees that criticized the school’s then-general counsel for failing to hire an experienced law firm during the grand jury probe.
Spanier wrote in the letter that general counsel Cynthia Baldwin told him very little about how she was handling the grand jury investigation, though she did say there appeared to be no issue for the university. He said he was unaware that materials had been subpoenaed from the university, and believed he was testifying before the grand jury voluntarily rather than as a result of a subpoena. When he went to testify, “I had no preparation or understanding of the context,” he wrote. He also said he was surprised when Baldwin handed over to the judge a thumb drive of his emails as he was being sworn in for his grand jury appearance.
More...
Comments at link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2535 on: July 24, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »

Not even!!!  JMHO

http://wnep.com/2012/07/23/penn-state-sanctions-grads-react/
Penn State Sanctions: Grads React
July 23, 2012

FACTORYVILLE — One look around Tom and Sally Price’s home in Factoryville and it is clear that they are Penn State proud.
Tom Price is a Penn State grad and both are die-hard football fans. They have been to almost every home game since 1986.
They watched the news Monday of the sanctions against their school with heavy hearts.
“I just can’t put my arms around it, it’s, to me, it was our 9/11 today. I just saw planes crashing into towers,” said Tom Price.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #2536 on: July 24, 2012, 09:13:01 PM »

Not even!!!  JMHO

July 23, 2012

FACTORYVILLE — One look around Tom and Sally Price’s home in Factoryville and it is clear that they are Penn State proud.
Tom Price is a Penn State grad and both are die-hard football fans. They have been to almost every home game since 1986.
They watched the news Monday of the sanctions against their school with heavy hearts.
“I just can’t put my arms around it, it’s, to me, it was our 9/11 today. I just saw planes crashing into towers,” said Tom Price.
What an azz!  That is a slap in the face to everyone who lost someone on those towers. 

These are my opinions and subject to change.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2537 on: July 25, 2012, 08:30:37 AM »

http://www.morethanafan.net/2012/07/25/paterno-family-needs-to-just-remain-quiet/
Paterno Family Needs to Just Remain Quiet
by RYAN ISLEY on JULY 25, 2012

And the other side of the coin:

http://thinkinganddriving.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/the-paterno-family-and-fatherhood/
The Paterno Family and Fatherhood
July 25, 2012

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:36:27 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2538 on: July 25, 2012, 09:41:07 AM »

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-07-23/penn-state-ncaa-penalties-sanctions-tim-curley-joe-paterno-spanier-schultz
Penn State penalties: With NCAA sanctions levied, time for Tim Curley to confess
By Matt Hayes, Sporting News
July 23, 2012

Video at Link

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2539 on: July 25, 2012, 10:20:15 AM »

Not even!!!  JMHO

July 23, 2012

What an azz!  That is a slap in the face to everyone who lost someone on those towers. 

Their 9/11?????
What kind of idiots are they?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.