March 18, 2024, 10:26:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fmr PSU Coach Jerry Sandusky Convicted on 45 Counts of Sexual Abuse of 10 Boys  (Read 1001278 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3120 on: August 02, 2013, 11:41:38 PM »

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/gregg-doyel/22952275/if-alive-would-paterno-be-joining-penn-state-officials-now-on-trial
If alive, would Paterno be joining Penn State officials now on trial?
July 31, 2013

Joe Paterno wasn't in the Dauphin County Courthouse this week in Harrisburg, Pa. He wasn't in Courtroom No. 1 this week, facing accusations of endangering the welfare of children. But would he have been?

We'll never know if the state of Pennsylvania was going to find the evidence -- or spine -- to go after the kindly old man conducting the grand experiment of no-frills football at Penn State, but I suspect so. Had Paterno lived long enough, he may have been watching through thick glasses as District Judge William Wenner wrapped up days of testimony by taking about one second, literally, to determine that there was enough evidence to send him and three of his former Penn State cronies -- president Graham Spanier, vice president Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley -- to trial.

The arc of this case, and the indictments sought by the state, were heading in Paterno's direction.
More...

Comments

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3121 on: August 07, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »

BBM - Consider the source.     Might be true.  Might not be true.

http://www.centredaily.com/2013/08/06/3723549/jerry-sandusky-in-prison-letter.html
Jerry Sandusky in prison letter: ‘trying to get better’
August 6, 2013

The celebrity gossip website TMZ has released two letters it claims were written from behind bars by convicted pedophile and former assistant Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky.

The letters, dated May and June, may offer a glimpse into Sandusky’s daily routine and thought process as he sits in solitary confinement in a western Pennsylvania prison, serving what is essentially a life sentence.

It’s not clear to whom the letters were addressed, as TMZ blacked out the names of the recipients. When reached for comment, Joe Amendola, Sandusky’s trial attorney, said he could not verify whether Sandusky wrote the responses.

“I’m doing alright — up and down; battling hard,” Sandusky allegedly wrote in the letters obtained by TMZ.

Sandusky wrote in the May letter that his days consist of exercise, meditation, reading and writing. He said he’s been “quite confined.” Later adding, “it is very challenging.”

He doesn’t go into detail about his conviction for sexually abusing 10 young boys, sometimes on the Penn State campus. Sandusky, who is serving 30 to 60 years in state prison, has maintained his innocence.

In the letters, he wrote he is “trying to get better.”

“The battles will continue until the last whistle,” Sandusky wrote. “I’m grateful for the help and support. I must also fight my personal battles to learn from, grow from, and endure the circumstances.”
More...
Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2013/08/06/3723549/jerry-sandusky-in-prison-letter.html#storylink=cpy

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3122 on: August 08, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/08/delany_says_he_and_big_ten_are.html#incart_river_default
Delany says he and Big Ten are purely observers in matter of possible reduction of NCAA sanctions
August 8, 2013

During a 20-minute interview this afternoon in the Lettermen's Lounge at Beaver Stadium, the Big Ten commissioner denied any behind-the-scenes wrangling to achieve a consensus among the NCAA board of directors that might get sanctions against Penn State revisited.

Penn State football's conduit to possible reduction in the three years remaining in the sanctions is former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell. His fourth quarterly report to the NCAA as overseer of PSU's compliance is due this month. And, by all accounts including Delany's, his reports have been quite positive:

“I met with Sen. Mitchell after the first report [last winter] and will meet with him again the end of this month or early next month. I report back to our board. Everything he's said in his quarterly reports and everything I hear is that Penn State's progress is consistent, powerful and that the leadership at the three levels I deal with – the president, the athletic director, the head football coach – are meeting or exceeding expectations.

“As far as the football 'culture' – because that's a word that was used a lot [by NCAA president Mark Emmert] – if you assume there was a problem there, I look at the leadership that Coach O'Brien has brought. I think it's pretty special and I think most people recognize that.”

That doesn't mean Delany or the conference presidents' council is ready to act as any sort of advocate for PSU beyond its normal league function – despite the NCAA's end-run around its usual infractions process and unprecedented involvement in the criminal realm.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3123 on: August 08, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/08/sandusky-prison-letters-god_n_3721012.html
Sandusky's Prison Letters: 'God's Light Has Warmed Me' (FULL TRANSCRIPT)
August 8, 2013

Comments

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3124 on: August 12, 2013, 10:39:21 PM »

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/Sanduskys-Victim-No-1-in-Dallas-talking-about-preventing-child-sex-abuse-219345961.html
Sandusky's 'Victim No. 1' talks about preventing child sex abuse
August 12, 2013

DALLAS — Aaron Fisher was the first to allege sexual abuse at the hands of former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, whom he met when he was just 11.
After he came forward, Fisher became known as "Victim No. 1."
"I hated being branded with the label," he said, explaining he doesn't consider himself a victim since he has been working since Sandusky’s conviction to empower others in the battle against abuse.
"It's very therapeutic," Fisher said.
In his quest to educate others, Fisher has repeatedly told his story to investigators and attorneys, and even in the pages of a book called "Silent No More."
But there’s nothing quite like sharing his story with a live audience, he said, and on Monday, Fisher did that with his largest crowd yet at the Crimes Against Children Conference in Dallas.
"I enjoy helping other people see what I went through was completely and utterly wrong," he said.
Fisher wants everyone to know it wasn’t just Sandusky who hurt him; he was also let down by Penn State after he reported the abuse.
"The school officials that told me to 'go home and think about it,'" he said.

Fisher said he was failed again by a justice system that was very reluctant at first to believe his allegations against a beloved sports icon.
"I can’t change the way they did it, but I can change the way other people do it," he said.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3125 on: August 17, 2013, 11:36:47 PM »

Penn State makes first settlement with Jerry Sandusky victim
August 17, 2013

The first civil claim brought by a victim against Penn State University over child sexual abuse committed by former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky has been settled, an attorney for the young man told NBC News Saturday.

Attorney Tom Kline told NBC News his client, known as Victim #5, had reached a settlement with Penn State.
The young man, who testified at Sandusky's criminal trial last year, settled for several million dollars, The Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper first reported.

The paper said the deal is the first of 26 settlements expected among 31 young men who have pressed claims over Sandusky's actions.

<snipped>

According to The Inquirer, Michael Rozen, one of the lawyers brought in by the university to resolve the civil claims, said Victim #5's case was thought to be more serious than others because his abuse occurred in August 2001, months after top school officials were informed by a graduate assistant that he saw Sandusky assaulting a boy in a team shower.

"The pivotal issue from the university's perspective in dealing with the victims is where the incident occurred and when it occurred proximate to the 2001 shower incident," Rozen told the paper.

<snipped>

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/17/20070038-penn-state-makes-first-settlement-with-jerry-sandusky-victim?lite

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3126 on: August 18, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »

The Second Mile has a lot to account for, and it's not just money to be recovered.  JMHO

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/1st-settlement-in-PSU-Sandusky-case-more-expected-.html
1st settlement in PSU-Sandusky case; more expected
August 18, 2013

HARRISBURG, Pa. — A young man who testified he was sexually abused by former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky will get a reported multimillion-dollar payout in the first of what is expected to be dozens of settlements between the university and Sandusky's accusers.

The Philadelphia Inquirer first reported Saturday that the young man known as "Victim 5," who took the stand at Sandusky's criminal trial and sentencing last year, settled for several million dollars.

Attorney Tom Kline confirmed the deal to The Associated Press on Saturday, but would not specify the dollar amount. He said the parties signed off on the agreement Friday.

Kline said his 25-year-old client was relieved and expected to receive the money within a month. The man identified himself for his testimony, but AP generally does not identify people who are victims of sex crimes.

The paper reported the deal is the first of 26 settlements expected soon among 31 young men who have pressed claims over Sandusky's actions and the school's response.

Kline told the AP that as part of the agreement, his client assigned his claim to Penn State, effectively giving the university a better chance to recover the money from other parties, such as The Second Mile, a charity for at-risk youth that Sandusky founded.

University officials "left themselves a wide open road to recover a significant amount of this money back from their insurers and Second Mile. And we support that," Kline said.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3127 on: August 20, 2013, 05:13:08 PM »

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/08/jerry_sandusky_appeals_pension.html
Jerry Sandusky appeals pension loss, may be called to testify at hearing in Harrisburg
August 16, 2013

Sandusky, 69, lost his $4,900-a-month pension on Oct. 9, the day he was sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison for sexual abuse of 10 boys. The forfeiture also made his wife, Dottie, ineligible for benefits.

Sandusky appealed the revocation. The hearing examiner charged with handling the appeal wrote last month that his lawyers and the State Employees' Retirement System both may want the former Penn State assistant football coach to testify at a Jan. 7 hearing.

Sandusky is kept from the general population of inmates at Greene State Prison while he awaits arguments before a state appeals court next month in Dallas, Pa. The Corrections Department said Friday procedures exist to accommodate hearings for inmates, whether in person or by video.

Hearing examiner Michael L. Bangs said in 159 pages of case records released to The Associated Press this week under a Right-to-Know Law request that both sides have until Nov. 7 to identify all witnesses they plan to call. If Sandusky is among them, they will have to determine if it's practical to have him transported to the hearing.

Another possible witness is Freeh, the former federal judge and FBI director who led the team that produced a report for Penn State into how the school handled complaints about Sandusky and the actions of top administrators.

The retirement system, which permits enrollment by Penn State employees even though the school is not state-owned, ruled Sandusky's conviction met the standards of the state Public Employee Pension Forfeiture Act, and stopped retirement payments immediately.

In revoking the pension, SERS said Sandusky's convictions for involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and indecent assault fell under the forfeiture law, and his post-retirement ties to Penn State made him a "de facto" employee for crimes committed after he left the university's payroll.

Sandusky's lawyer Charles Benjamin challenged that ruling, arguing his Penn State employment contract was not renewed after the forfeiture act passed in 1978, so its terms don't apply. Benjamin said in a November appeal of the SERS decision that Sandusky, "at most," acted as an independent contractor following his retirement, not as a university employee.

A SERS prehearing statement from April listed potential witnesses that included Freeh, SERS benefits administrators, someone from Penn State to authenticate documents and possibly Jeff Clay, executive director of the state's teachers' pension system.

Benjamin's prehearing statement from April said Penn State made only six payments to Sandusky between 2000 and 2008, and he was never a Penn State employee in that period. It said his potential witnesses include the Penn State controller, who would describe post-2000 payments to Sandusky.

In recent weeks, Bangs signed a SERS subpoena for Sandusky Associates Inc., founded by Sandusky in September 1999, seeking records that document its connection with Penn State from 1999-2010, payments to Sandusky and information about youth sports camps he ran on university property.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3128 on: August 20, 2013, 05:15:42 PM »

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/18/sandusky-son-to-settle.html
Sandusky Son to Settle
Aug 18, 2013 7:23 PM EDT

Penn State has reached its first settlement with a victim of Jerry Sandusky, reportedly for millions of dollars. Diane Dimond on the two dozen settlements to come—including that of Sandusky’s adopted son.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3129 on: August 20, 2013, 06:04:53 PM »

Jerry Sandusky is the definition of evil and those over the years who were in a position to put a stop to the sexual abuse of the innocent but failed for whatever reason are culpable.

Janet

+++++

Son of Jerry Sandusky seeks name change
July 30, 2013

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-jerry-sandusky-son-name-change-20130730,0,325460.story

Lawyer: Victim 2, Matt Sandusky settlements against Penn State in ‘final stages’
August 19, 2013

http://www.centredaily.com/2013/08/19/3744199/lawyer-victim-2-matt-sandusky.html

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3130 on: August 23, 2013, 11:17:01 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/atty-sanduskys-son-settle-psu-20054656
Atty: Sandusky's Son Among 7 Who Settle With PSU
August 23, 2013

Lawyer Matt Casey said his clients include Sandusky's adopted son, Matt Sandusky, as well as the young man known as "Victim 2" in court records and three other victims who testified last summer against Jerry Sandusky at his criminal trial. "Victim 2" was the boy then-graduate assistant Mike McQueary said he saw being attacked by Jerry Sandusky in a campus shower in 2001.

Casey said the terms of the settlements took shape some time ago, but it wasn't until a week ago that he felt the deals were complete, followed by passing paperwork back and forth to memorialize it. He didn't disclose the settlement terms.

"To say they're relieved, I think, is a fair statement," Casey said. "But it's also accurate to say that while we've closed this chapter, there's a whole lot of this that's necessarily inadequate."

The university has not announced the deals.

Nearly a week ago, a lawyer disclosed the first settlement among the 31 lawsuits filed against the school amid the Sandusky scandal, and a lawyer brought in by Penn State to facilitate negotiations said earlier this week that he expected 24 more cases to settle in the near future.

A Penn State spokesman on Friday said only that settlement talks continued to progress. He declined further comment.

Sandusky, 69, a former longtime defensive coach under Joe Paterno, was convicted last summer of 45 counts of child sexual abuse and is serving a decades-long state prison sentence. He maintains he is innocent, and an appeals hearing is scheduled for next month in Dallas, Pa.

Other lawyers involved in settlement talks said Friday they were still working with the university but none had a signed, final agreement.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3131 on: August 23, 2013, 11:18:37 PM »

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/08/credibility_issues_financial_d.html
Credibility issues, financial demands keep Penn State's Sandusky settlement talks from "global peace"
August 23, 2013

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3132 on: August 29, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9596563/jerry-sandusky-adopted-son-six-other-men-reach-settlements-penn-state-ncf
Matt Sandusky, six others settle
August 24, 2013

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3133 on: August 29, 2013, 05:18:02 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/jerry-sanduskys-victims-settle-lawsuit-penn-state-20085858
Jerry Sandusky's Victims Settle Lawsuit With Penn State
A lawyer says the university reached settlements with all but six of the men who sued the school.

August 27, 2013

Transcript for Jerry Sandusky's Victims Settle Lawsuit With Penn State

Lawyer for Penn State says that -- tells ABC news that the school has reached legal settlements with all but six of the man who sued during the Jerry sandusky case. 25 of the 31 men who claimed they... SEE MORE

Video and transcript at link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3134 on: August 29, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/08/jerry_sandusky_appeal_hearing.html
Jerry Sandusky, Mike Veon appeal hearings were to be held in school, have been moved to courthouse
August 28, 2013
A state appeals court on Wednesday moved a hearing next month on Jerry Sandusky's appeal of his child molestation conviction from a northeastern Pennsylvania high school to the nearby county courthouse.

Superior Court scheduled oral arguments in the appeal for 3 p.m. Sept. 17 at the Luzerne County Courthouse in Wilkes-Barre. The session had previously been set for the same date at in the auditorium at Dallas High School.

Superior Court Judge Jack Panella said the move was prompted by a high level of media interest in the cases to be argued that day. The statement said the court holds sessions in community and educational settings to bring its business to the average person and to help educate students and the wider public, but "to avoid possible disruption of those goals it is believed prudent to re-schedule these cases to the county courthouse."

Sandusky is challenging his conviction last year on 45 counts of child sexual abuse, involving 10 boys. The former Penn State assistant coach is serving a 30- to 60-year sentence at Greene State Prison in the state's southwestern corner.

"I'm happy to argue it wherever they want to be," said Sandusky's lawyer, Norris Gelman. "I'll meet them on any ground."

As usual, still cameras and audio and video recording equipment will not be allowed in the courtroom.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3135 on: September 03, 2013, 07:16:12 AM »

Raise your hand if you care if Jerry Sandusky is "not happy" about Penn State settling with his victims.  No raised hand here.  Get over yourself Jerry, go back to your cell and serve your time.  We haven't heard and I don't expect to hear any apologies from Jerry in regard to the damage he's done to young boys. He has yet to admit any wrong doing.  Jerry used Penn State football as a lure and The Second Mile as a source to gain access to his victims.  For shame!    JMHO

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/23386120/jerry-sandusky-not-happy-about-penn-state-settling-with-victims
Jerry Sandusky not happy about Penn State settling with victims
August 29, 2013

Jerry Sandusky is not happy about Penn State settling with his victims.

According to Reuters, Sandusky wrote a letter to a filmmaker John Ziegler, who runs a blog called "The Framing of Joe Paterno."

"The only concern from the beginning of this by administrators and trustees has been to protect their image," wrote Sandusky in the letter. "They didn't question what they called 'victims,' instead they opened their arms and offered settlements, psychologists, public events and media presentations."

Sandusky's letter is focused on the victim known simply as Victim 5. Victim 5 testified against Sandusky and was also the first victim to reach a settlement with Penn State. According to Victim 5's attorney, Tom Kline, Penn State has reached settlements with 25 of the 31 men who claim they were abused by Sandusky.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3136 on: September 03, 2013, 07:24:10 AM »

Jerry Sandusky is complaining he was "thrown under the bus"!!? 

http://www.centredaily.com/2013/08/30/3763115/in-prison-letter-jerry-sandusky.html
In prison letter, Jerry Sandusky blasts Penn State settlements
August 30, 2013

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3137 on: September 03, 2013, 07:28:54 AM »

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130901/NEWS90/130909993/-1/NEWS
4 of 5 schools beef up policy after Penn State
September 1, 2013

In all, 55 of 69 BCS football schools — 79.7 percent of those playing at the highest level in college — either reviewed or strengthened their policies regarding minors on campus in the wake of the case involving Jerry Sandusky, an Associated Press review found.

While schools were rewriting their rules, no fewer than 32 state governments were also reviewing their statutes, with at least 18 of those adopting new laws, most of them adding university employees and volunteers to the list of those required to report child sex abuse.

The AP canvassed the 69 schools in the BCS conferences in 2012, along with Notre Dame, and found that, in addition to the 55 that said they reviewed or changed their rules in response to the Sandusky case, another 12 had recently done that work in response to a push from the U.S. Department of Education, or because of incidents that occurred on their own campuses or laws passed in their states.

Not that rules can prevent everything. Before the scandal at Penn State, the university had a long list of rules on the books that were in line with what existed at other schools. Despite that, the Freeh Report noted that 234 of 735 coaches paid to work at summer sports camps in 2009 didn't have their required background checks completed before their camp began.

David Finkelhor of the University of New Hampshire's Crimes Against Children Research Center said anecdotes like that help explain why new policies and laws are important, but maybe not as important as the light shed on the issue of child sex abuse because of the Sandusky case.

"I don't think the problem at Penn State was that they didn't have enough rules, or that they didn't have a mandatory law that required this reporting," Finkelhor said. "I think the problem was that they didn't have a higher level of awareness about the problem itself and they thought they could kind of get away with the way they were handling it."

In searching the states, AP reporters across the country checked databases from the last two years of legislation. The AP also referred to the National Conference of State Legislatures, which has tracked Sandusky-related bills.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3138 on: September 03, 2013, 07:35:42 AM »

I wonder how many of us common folk would gain this privilege?  JMHO

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/08/graham_spanier_gets_new_travel.html
Ex-Penn State President Graham Spanier gets new travel privileges from Dauphin County Court
August 29, 2013

It's not your standard bail modification.

But former Penn State President Graham Spanier has won a small, quality-of-life concession from Dauphin County as he awaits trial on perjury, obstruction of justice and other charges flowing from the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse investigation.

President Judge Todd Hoover issued an order Thursday that would permit Spanier to travel internationally, as long as such travel requests and complete itineraries are forwarded to the Attorney General for review and get pre-approval from the court.

Spanier will also be required to return his passport to the Attorney General's office upon his return to the United States.

Spanier has been free on bail since criminal charges were initially filed against him in November 2012. But he had been barred from international travel.

He and two former top aides are accused of failing to report a 2001 allegation against Sandusky to law enforcement, and later taking steps to hinder investigators once the trail was picked up by the Attorney General's office in 2010.

All charges were bound over for trial after a preliminary hearing last month. Spanier's trial, along with co-defendants Tim Curley and Gary Schultz, is not likely to start until some time in 2014 at the earliest.

Spanier's attorneys could not be immediately be reached for comment on Hoover's ruling.

In the past, they have written about Spanier's hopes to travel to his father's hometown in Germany to see a memorial plaza dedicated in memory of Holocaust victims, and to go to the United Kingdom for work related to unspecified Anglo-American research projects.

The ban on international travel, his attorneys contended, have also cost Spanier several unspecified speaking engagements.

Hoover offered no reason Thursday for granting the request.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3139 on: September 03, 2013, 07:38:38 AM »

http://www.philly.com/philly/education/20130829_ap_5428bc3574864a63968bf1c2b32bf7ab.html
Spanier, former Penn St. president, gets travel OK
August 29, 2013

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) - A judge loosened travel restrictions Thursday for the former Penn State president accused of a criminal cover-up of complaints about Jerry Sandusky. Dauphin County Judge Todd Hoover eliminated a bail rule that required Graham Spanier to provide advance notice to the court of travel within the United States. He also allowed Spanier to travel to other countries under certain conditions, making him apply for permission at least 20 days ahead of time, lay out his itinerary and provide the country's extradition policy regarding the United States. Spanier's passport will be kept at the state attorney general's State College office until he gets the required permission. Spanier and his attorneys declined to comment on the order. He had previously said he wanted to be able to travel for family and professional reasons. Spanier, who remains a tenured faculty member on paid leave, awaits trial with two other former university administrators on charges of perjury, obstruction, endangering the welfare of children, failure to properly report suspected abuse and conspiracy. All three have denied the allegations. A district judge determined last month that there was enough evidence against Spanier, former athletic director Tim Curley and former vice president Gary Schultz to send the case to county court for trial. Spanier had been Penn State's president for 16 years before being forced out in November 2011, after the arrests of Sandusky, Curley and Schultz.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.