March 28, 2024, 10:47:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fmr PSU Coach Jerry Sandusky Convicted on 45 Counts of Sexual Abuse of 10 Boys  (Read 1002233 times)
tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2100 on: June 25, 2012, 09:08:01 PM »

https://twitter.com/#!/AC360

Anderson Cooper 360° ‏@AC360
Juror cites #McQueary's testimony, says he "didn't have a reason to lie" so it gave more credibility to the case.  15m

"It does seem there was a big cover up that happened." - #Sandusky juror 15m

Juror says #Sandusky was "a little creepy" and another says she wanted to see #Sandusky testify  15m

"The deliberations were very calm and methodical." - #Sandusky juror 16m

Jurors #5 and #11 join us live on #AC360 #Sandusky  17m

TWO #Sandusky jurors join us live to give us insights on the trial. An interview you don't want to miss.  23m

No child should have duct tape on their face when they die. There's no reason to put duct tape on the face after they die. ~ Dr. G

"People don't make accidents look like murder." ~ Jeff Ashton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2101 on: June 26, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/corbett_offers_fresh_defense_o.html
Corbett offers fresh defense of length of Sandusky probe
By CHARLES THOMPSON, The Patriot-News
Published: Monday, June 25, 2012, 6:58 PM     Updated: Monday, June 25, 2012, 7:48 PM

In two public appearances Monday, Gov. Tom Corbett offered a results-oriented defense of the time it took for the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse investigation to result in criminal charges
Corbett was Pennsylvania's Attorney General, and gearing up for a run for governor, when the case was referred to his office in early 2009.

In 2011, after his inauguration as governor, the pace of the Sandusky probe accelerated. Corbett critics have attributed that to political staging, so the delicate Penn State case would not surface during his gubernatorial campaign.

Sandusky, who was convicted Friday on charges of molesting 10 boys over a 14-yar-period, was arrested Nov. 5, 2011.
 ::snipping2::
Corbett also acknowledged taking a calculated risk that Sandusky could continue to abuse new children but said he and his agents were confident that since Sandusky knew he was the target of a criminal probe he would not do so.

There have been no confirmed accounts of new victims meeting Sandusky after the probe started.

(Interesting comments)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #2102 on: June 26, 2012, 12:36:20 AM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/matt-sandusky-told-police-feared-perjury-grand-jury/story?id=16644118#.T-k5fLWvKSo
Matt Sandusky Feared Perjury Charge Over Grand Jury Testimony
June 25, 2012
The recording shows Matt Sandusky, whom Jerry and Dottie Sandusky adopted in his teenage years, hesitating to talk about the abuse allegations because he had previously said under oath that his father had not molested him, Rominger said.

"The problem is," Rominger said, quoting Matt Sandusky from the audio tape, "'I don't want to get into trouble for perjury'... because he previously said other things."

These are my opinions and subject to change.
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #2103 on: June 26, 2012, 12:39:42 AM »

http://www.statesman.com/sports/sports-newsmakers-juror-hopes-victims-heal-sandusky-is-2404152.html
Sports Newsmakers: Juror hopes victims heal; Sandusky is 'defiant'; Games organizer Coe runs with torch
Published: 11:21 p.m. Monday, June 25, 2012
She expressed empathy for the eight men who offered emotional and explicit testimony.

"He's defiant and wants the truth to be told. He wants people to know that he's not guilty," said defense lawyer Karl Rominger, who visited his client Monday.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #2104 on: June 26, 2012, 12:43:03 AM »

http://triblive.com/news/2094304-74/sandusky-rominger-state-penn-elbell-media-trib-county-jail-mind
Sandusky of ‘sound mind’ in Centre County jail
Published: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Four days into his incarceration, convicted child rapist Jerry Sandusky says he doesn’t like the fatty fare in the Centre County Correctional Facility.

“He’s of a sound mind,” Rominger told the Trib of Sandusky’s condition.

He and Elbell disputed national media reports that other inmates serenaded Sandusky with Pink Floyd lyrics, including “Hey, teacher – leave them kids alone.”

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #2105 on: June 26, 2012, 12:52:04 AM »

http://www.thespec.com/opinion/columns/article/749811--there-were-two-monsters-in-the-sandusky-house

There were two monsters in the Sandusky house

Tuesday, June 26, 2012
This headline speaks volumes!

Evil can come in many forms. It can come in the likes of Stalin or Hitler, or it can come in the gentle grey softness of a grandmother like Dottie Sandusky.

The fact that eight young men chose to come forward and recount the horrific abuse they suffered at the hands of Jerry Sandusky should be enough to silence Dottie Sandusky forever. The fact that her own adopted son, Matt, has made similar abuse allegations against his father should leave little doubt in anyone’s mind — even hers.

Dorothy Sandusky owes the world an apology. She should apologize for being so aloof, so unaware of the goings-on in her own house. She should apologize for not immediately filing for divorce when the prosecution presented such an overwhelming case.

Indeed, her very existence helped Jerry Sandusky to be the villain that he is and added to the number of victims. After all, most reasonable parents would be leery of sending their child off to a single man’s home. But knowing that the man is married and that his wife will be present helps to ease any concerns a parent might feel.

That monsters like Jerry Sandusky exist is a sad reality. Sadder still is the women who protect these men.

tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2106 on: June 26, 2012, 09:20:40 AM »

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/26/exclusive-the-untold-drama-of-the-jerry-sandusky-trial.html

Exclusive: The Untold Drama of the Jerry Sandusky Trial
by Diane Dimond Jun 26, 2012 4:45 AM EDT
In court a witness for the defense called the coach a ‘father figure.’ But behind the scenes he was confronted about a Facebook message that alluded to abuse. Diane Dimond reports.

The Daily Beast has learned that one of the defense’s key witnesses in the sexual-abuse case against the former Penn State coach—a young man who called Sandusky a “father figure” and a wholly positive influence on his life—may have reached out just days earlier out to a victims’ support group, using language that would suggest he may be a survivor of abuse himself. In an extraordinary behind-the-scenes meeting in the presence of the trial judge, the witness was apparently confronted about what appeared to be his confession, but the message was ultimately never presented as evidence.

Unseen at the time was a Facebook message, obtained exclusively by The Daily Beast, that had been sent to Voices 4 Victims, a victims’ advocacy group established by Penn State student and sexual-abuse survivor Matt Bodenschatz.

The Facebook message carried the name and picture of the young man in question. It was sent on June 15, 2012—five days before he took the oath, sat in the witness chair, and said that nothing bad had ever happened between him and Coach Sandusky. The private message was sent only to Bodenschatz, the Facebook page’s administrator, but was directed at the eight young men who had testified for the prosecution:

“Thank you to the victims to come forward (sic), I am very proud of you. You are the voice for some of us who have been so badly damaged. And stay strong not to let our violators win. Stay STRONG. You have my support!”

No child should have duct tape on their face when they die. There's no reason to put duct tape on the face after they die. ~ Dr. G

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2107 on: June 26, 2012, 10:49:59 AM »

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/26/3242328/matt-sandusky-described-abuse.html
Matt Sandusky described abuse by Jerry Sandusky to police on tape NBC obtained
Published: June 26, 2012 Updated 9 minutes ago

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2108 on: June 26, 2012, 10:59:51 AM »

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/26/3242328/matt-sandusky-described-abuse.html
Matt Sandusky described abuse by Jerry Sandusky to police on tape NBC obtained
Published: June 26, 2012 Updated 9 minutes ago

Again, I would like to know why Matt agreed to be adopted at the age of 18?  Ol' Jer sure did a major number on these kids....in every way possible.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2109 on: June 26, 2012, 12:32:09 PM »

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/jerry_sanduskys_son_matt_did_n.html
Jerry Sandusky's son, Matt, did not authorize tape's release, his attorneys say
By SARA GANIM, The Patriot-News
Published: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 12:13 PM     Updated: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 12:15 PM

In response to a 25-minute tape of his interview with police about abuse by his father, Jerry Sandusky, being leaked to NBC News, attorneys for Matt Sandusky have released the following statement.

"This tape demonstrates Matt's tremendous courage and strength as he begins to disclose that Jerry Sandusky sexually abused him when he was a child. Although the tape was released without Matt's knowledge or permission, it illustrates that he made the difficult decision to come forward and tell the painful truth to investigators despite extraordinary pressure to support his father."
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2110 on: June 26, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1206/25/ijvm.01.html
JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL
Penn State Cover-Up of Sandusky`s Abuse?
Aired June 25, 2012 - 19:00   ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

And we`re going to begin tonight with the latest developments in the conviction of Jerry Sandusky. The spotlight now on Penn State and how that university will handle what many expect to be an avalanche of lawsuits from the victims.

And today Jerry Sandusky told his attorney that he wants out of isolation in jail?
BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

VELEZ-MITCHELL (voice-over): Tonight, now is it time for Penn State to pay in the wake of the overwhelming avalanche of guilty verdicts for Jerry Sandusky? A laser is now focused on Penn State as critics say this institution let a predator use their locker room to sexually abuse his young victims. Who knew what, when? Was in a cover-up? If so, could more charges be brought against others connected to this prestigious university? Tonight, we`ll hear from two victims and a juror.

Plus, I`m taking your calls.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: What do you have to say about the verdict?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Do you have anything to say to the victims?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: From day one, they believed these victims. You could feel the emotion. There was no doubt about it, that they were telling the truth.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: When I looked at him during the verdict, I could see tears running down his eyes.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: And when the counsel read, she sobbed in silence, and his eyes just filled with tears.

JOE AMENDOLA, ATTORNEY FOR JERRY SANDUSKY: Jerry had always wanted to testify.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: All these people see it. They tell everybody in the locker room, the janitor, the manager of the janitors. Nobody reports it.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Someone was talking in the football hallways at not just Penn State, but various universities.

LINDA KELLY, PENNSYLVANIA ATTORNEY GENERAL: Concealing or attempting to minimize this type of crime is unacceptable.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I don`t think the university should have to, you know, suffer from his actions.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Tonight the drama and the fallout over the Jerry Sandusky guilty verdicts. Was there a terrible conspiracy to cover up the former Penn State football coach`s disgusting sexual assaults on boys in the university`s locker rooms?

Good evening. Jane Velez-Mitchell coming to you live tonight.

The crowd reached a feverish pitch outside the Pennsylvania courthouse as the Sandusky verdict was announced. Guilty! Guilty, guilty, guilty on 45 of 48 counts of child sexual abuse. Listen to this.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

(CHEERS)

(END VIDEO CLIP)
VELEZ-MITCHELL: Cheers from the crowd. Sandusky looking wobbly on his feet as the jury foreman read the verdict, repeating "guilty" for all the three (ph) charges over a course of almost four minutes.

His bond immediately revoked, he was hauled off to jail to await sentencing.

One juror spoke out to NBC about how he knew they had made the correct decision to convict this child molester. Listen to this from "The Today Show."

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Today, it was just confirmation, again. You know, I saw -- I looked at him during the reading of the verdict. And just the look on his face, no real emotion. Just kind of accepting, you know, because he knew it was true.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So, with Sandusky behind bars, what`s next for Penn State, the university some say helped Sandusky cover up the rapes of young boys?

What do you think? Call me: 1-877-JVM-SAYS, 1-877-586-7297. I want to hear from you.

Straight out to "Patriot News" reporter Sara Ganim, who won a Pulitzer Prize for her ground-breaking work on this story.
Glad to have you with us tonight, Sara. What are the -- let me first of all, let`s talk about some breaking news. I understand that we`ve gotten word -- is this true? -- that Jerry Sandusky doesn`t want to be in isolation?

SARA GANIM, REPORTER, "PATRIOT NEWS" (via phone): That`s right. His attorney, Karl Rominger, told me that he was the first person to be able to go visit Jerry Sandusky in the county jail where he`s being held. And Karl Rominger told me that Jerry Sandusky was asking him, "When do I get out of isolation?"

Now, he`s only there by a judge`s order right now, so that he can undergo a mental-health evaluation by a psychologist to determine if he is suicidal. That`s why he`s on so-called suicide watch.

But Rominger said that Jerry -- he said something to the effect of, you know, "I don`t think I`m suicidal. But if I stay in the cell for a couple more days, I`m going to go nutty."

He really wants to, in Rominger`s words, be able to get out and walk around. That`s what he said: he wants to be able to walk around.

When I asked him if he was concerned about the safety of Mr. Sandusky in such a setting, in general population, he said no. He said the jail had really good policies and procedures, and that the block that he would be on, Jerry Sandusky, where his cell would be, only has a very few amount of inmates.
VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, you know, it`s fascinating because I read that at one point he was incarcerated, the fellow jail mates were taunting him at night by singing that "Just Another Brick in the Wall" song. "Teacher, teacher," whatever that is.

So apparently, this guy`s got a thick skin. And I guess we`ve learned from you, Sara, that A, he doesn`t seem very suicidal, and B, he`s more concerned about his own wellbeing, which is totally par for the course.

Katherine Hall, you are a spokesperson for abused children. This guy is already thinking about his own comforts. It boggles my mind. Because I try to put myself in his shoes and think what shame, what humiliation, what disgrace, Happy Valley cheering his convictions. And guess what? He`s already thinking about his own personal comforts.

KATHERINE HALL, SPOKESPERSON FOR ABUSED CHILDREN: Well, what we`ve seen is a real collective outpouring and encouragement from survivors nationwide. So at RAINN, we`re really focused on increasing hotline traffic we`ve had. We`ve seen over 30 percent increase in people coming forward and getting help. Primarily amongst those who are self-identifying as male survivors.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, let me just say this. What I was talking about, John Lieberman, is that this guy is a complete and utter narcissist that -- here he is, the shame. I experience shame by vicariously just hearing that cheer, and yet, the guy is already worried about, "Oh, am I going to be able to walk around?"

JOHN LIEBERMAN, INVESTIGATIVE REPORT: He wants rec time. He wants time in the yard. He wants better meals. He wants access to the canteen, like the general population.

And there`s more, Jane. He also told his attorney today that he wants people to know that he`s not guilty. That was the quote to his attorney that his attorney relayed to the media. On the heels of this jury speaking so loudly on behalf of victims, he`s proclaiming his innocence again.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, this is absolutely incredible to me. And it really dovetails with this entire sense of entitlement, this man walking through this case, virtually laughing, smiling during this horrific testimony of boys that he raped. And it really is a study in arrogance, entitlement, malignant narcissism, which are probably traits of a pedophile.

Now that the trial is over, the real trouble begins for Penn State University. There are scores of victims waiting to sue the university in civil court, some of whom are not even part of this case. Listen to the mother of one victim who spoke to "GMA."

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Even after therapy he doesn`t feel comfortable saying what happened to him to me. He`s a strong one. He`s a survivor, and he`ll get through it.
END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Penn State now says they`re inviting victims to meet with them so they can privately, expeditiously, and fairly address the victims` concerns and compensate them for claims relating to the university. In plain old English, they want to settle out of court.

So Sara Ganim, again, you`ve broken this story. Remember, Penn State has $1.8 billion in endowment. How is this going to play out? How do you put a dollar figure on pain and suffering caused by Jerry Sandusky? What do you know? What`s the inside story here?

GANIM: Well, I can`t answer that question, obviously. If it went to civil court, that would be for a jury to decide.

But I can tell you this. I`ve been doing some research on it. You look at the civil claim payout, the average payout in the Catholic Church sex abuse scandal, which has some parallels to the story. Same kind of hierarchy where there is some knowledge of abuse, and again, a serial nature. The average payout in those cases was about $3 million per survivor.

Now Penn State, on the day of the verdict, put a statement out that said that they wanted to proactively meet with the victims in this case and talk about a settlement outside of court and compensating them for the abuse that they endured.

And when I talked to some of the attorneys who are representing these victims -- I talked to two of them, and both said they thought it was a good idea. One of them, however, said, now is not the right time.

They want to wait and see what the internal investigation report, which is due out sometime either late summer or early fall, is going to say. Because that will give a better understanding. They think it will give a better understanding of how much Penn State knew and what exactly Penn State did, before they have any kind of sit-down and start talking about any kind of payout.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, let me say this, Holly Hughes, criminal defense attorney, former prosecutor, we`re going to get to the conspiracy, alleged, in a moment.
But is $3 million enough when this university -- per child -- and we`re just talking hypothetically, as Sara said. That`s sort of a track record in cases with some commonalities. I would think, given the -- just unbelievable facts of this case, that it would have to be a lot more when Penn State has a $1.8 billion endowment.

HOLLY HUGHES, CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Absolutely. But it comes down to this. How much do these survivors still want to drag this through the legal process?

There is no amount of money in the world that will ever compensate these young men for what they were put through, because somebody was too chicken to do the right thing and call the authorities when they saw a baby being raped in the shower. So no, there`s no amount of money.
But they`re going to say, "Hey, you know what? I don`t want this to drag on in my life. I don`t want to go through three years of civil discovery. I don`t want to continue to have to give news interviews." Because there is no amount of money, because it`s a principle thing, you`ll see some of the victim -- survivors, excuse me, going ahead and saying, "You know what? Let me just get it over with."

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

(MUSIC: PINK FLOYD`S "ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL")

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: ok, That from YouTube, The Pink Floyd song that fellow inmates were SUPPOSEDLY singing at Jerry Sandusky, taunting him at one point.

But no mind. Even though he has been convicted and he was supposedly on suicide watch, unh-uh, not so fast. He says he wants out of isolation, saying according to his lawyer, quote, "I don`t think I`m suicidal. I`m dealing with this. But if I have if I have to sit around in this cell for a few more days, I am going to go nutty."

Wow. This guy is already thinking about his own comforts, even as I was naive enough to think, "Oh, my gosh. Maybe he is suicidal, because this is such a shameful thing." No. I guess pedophiles don`t feel shame.

Was there a massive cover-up at Penn State? That`s the next big question. That`s what some are claiming. Listen to what one victim`s lawyer said.
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: How can a 55-year-old man in his position never get another job? Someone was talking in the football hallways at not just Penn State, but various universities, and we are going to be working very hard to get the truth out.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right. Now we have two former Penn State officials, Gary Schultz and Tim Curley. They`re charged with lying to the grand jury about all of this, the allegations, and failing to inform cops. They`re now set for trial.

But get this: NBC News is now reporting that its sources claim there are e-mails indicating then-president of Penn State Graham Spanier knew of the allegations against Sandusky and allegedly had discussions about them, and reportedly, the decision was made that the main thing to do about Jerry Sandusky and for Jerry Sandusky was not to call authorities.
We were not able to reach Graham Spanier. He`s invited on our show any time. Our attempts to reach lawyers for Curley and Schultz were referred back to Penn State, which did not give us a response.

Bottom line: was there a conspiracy of silence? What do you know about these e-mails, Sara Ganim, if they are indeed existing?

GANIM: Well, this is what prosecutors say. They put these e-mails, the content of these e-mails, at least partially into court filings, and that`s how we know about them.

The prosecutors who are -- charged Curley and Schultz with perjury, in their response, Curley and Schultz basically made a motion to the court to have the case dismissed for lack of evidence. And in the response, they said, "Look, we have these e-mails, and this shows a pretty strong case against you."

And what the court filing says was there were e-mails between Schultz and Graham Spanier that showed they had a conversation and decided it would be humane not to report Jerry Sandusky to authorities. Now this is all not just hearsay but within the court documents.

But what I think is most interesting about that revelation is not necessarily the content of the e-mails, because we haven`t seen the entirety of them, and we don`t know the context. But the fact that prosecutors actually did not find them. It was the internal investigation at Penn State University that found those e-mails.

They were supposedly -- they were dated so far back, 2001, that they were thought at one point not to be able to be recovered. And they got a hold of some kind of technology and they were able to recover these lost e- mails. And they turned them over to the attorney general`s office.
So it was actually Penn State`s internal investigation that set them up.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Unbelievable. Wow. Great information, Sara.

Holly Hughes, former prosecutor, do you think others will face charges? You can`t have a conspiracy of one or two. Usually you can`t have a conspiracy, I guess, whatever the technical definition is. But usually there`s a bunch of people involved. And from what we`re hearing, lawyers may have even weighed the possibility of doing nothing.

HUGHES: Right. And you`re exactly right. You`re going to see a lot more people implicated and a lot more people charged. Think of -- this program, this football program is so important and it`s so vital, financially speaking, to this institution.

And basically, what the allegations are, Jane, is that they gave up children for money. That`s what they did. They didn`t want their program to be tainted or go down in flames, so they just continued to offer up children as lambs to the slaughter to a pedophile.
So yes, this is vast reaching. It`s going to -- we`re going to see a lot more people implicated. And it`s going to go a lot higher up than just the coaching staff. Because when you`re talking this much money to an institution, you know the higher ups had to have a say in that.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Check out my editorial on HLNTV.com about what I think Penn State should do to compensate these victims.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

(CHEERING)

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I am very excited to have with me tonight Tom Mesereau, criminal defense attorney, famous of course, for his successful defense of Michael Jackson on child molestation charges. There have been commonalities cited between that trial and this.

But the big difference, Tom, is you got your client completely acquitted, and this defendant, Jerry Sandusky, went down -- there was only three charges that he wasn`t found guilty of.

I was listening to you talking the other day when you said, "Don`t take this conviction for granted." So what are your thoughts now after we have this overwhelming victory by prosecutors?

TOM MESEREAU, CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Well, clearly, the jury saw no way to go otherwise. I mean, it seems to me that they probably should have spent a longer period of time, I would think, with that many counts. But they seem as if they came to their own conclusions very, very quickly.

And it sounds like the prosecutors got a jump on him right away, and I don`t think the defense ever really caught up to them. In the Michael Jackson trial, my attitude was we have to really come out swinging right away, take some momentum from the prosecution, or we`re never going to catch up. And fortunately, it worked for us. But obviously, it didn`t work for Mr. Sandusky.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, I`ve always said if I`m ever in trouble, I`m calling Tom Mesereau. I watched you in that courtroom, and you were brilliant. You took a case that was an open and shut case against, as everybody said, and you won completely.

Now, the likely basis of an appeal in the Sandusky case is ineffective assistance of counsel and the rush to have a speedy trial. Let`s listen to the defense attorney, Joe Amendola.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
AMENDOLA: Stay tuned. I mean, come on. It`s like a soap. You have to wait and see. I think it`s "General Hospital." It could be "All My Children."

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Tom Mesereau, there`s the defense attorney joking about how this trial is like "All My Children." If they want to get an a successful appeal, maybe they should play the clip of the attorney, who`s kind of a goof ball, joking about a child molestation trial being like "All My Children"?

MESEREAU: Well, I think the comments are very inappropriate. They surprise me.

But they don`t surprise me as much as the comments while the jury was deliberating where he apparently said, "I`ll be shocked if it`s an acquittal. And I`ll have a heart attack if there`s an acquittal." I`ve never heard a defense lawyer make remarks like that. They seem very inappropriate to me.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Why do you think that there was such a different result in this case than in your case? Again, it`s child molestation. There are a number of accusers in both cases. They were very similar kinds of situations where people accused Michael Jackson of luring kids, using Neverland. In this case it was the Second Mile and Penn State and the football program.

So many commonalities, and yet, the verdicts couldn`t be more different.

MESEREAU: Well, you know, Jane, we did have time to investigate. We investigated the backgrounds of every single prosecution witness we could think of. We found all sorts of information that we used to attack their credibility and their motives.

And it may be that the defense in the Sandusky case needed a lot more time. I gather they filed a motion, asking to be relieved. under seal. And I suspect it talks about a lot of things they wanted to do and couldn`t do. So they may have a point, I don`t know. Every criminal defendant has a right to effective assistance of counsel at every stage of the proceeding. Pretrial and trial. So we`ll see what happens on appeal.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: You really think there`s a chance for successful appeal here?

MESEREAU: Based on what little I know, and I`m in California. Not in the courtroom. I don`t think there`s much of a chance on appeal. Remember, an appeal is based on the transcript alone. You don`t bring in new evidence on appeal.
If the appeals don`t work, the defense can bring in new evidence that wasn`t there or wasn`t introduced effectively. I suspect they`re continuing the investigation and trying to find witnesses who they would like to have called to impeach the credibility of these accusers.

So you never know what`s going to happen in the future.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, Tom, it is always a delight talking to you. And I know that you`re going to be talking Sandusky with Dr. Drew tonight at 9. So I`ll be hanging around. I hope our viewers do, as well, to watch it.

Always great to talk with you, Tom.

MESEREAU: Thanks for having me, Jane. I appreciate it.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:01:33 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2111 on: June 26, 2012, 01:00:55 PM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1206/25/ddhln.01.html
DR. DREW
Sandusky: What`s Next?; Octomom Exposed
Aired June 25, 2012 - 21:00   ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.
DR. DREW PINSKY, HOST: Here we go.

Jerry Sandusky -- guilty, guilty, guilty of child sexual abuse. He is in prison on suicide watch.

What about the victims? How do they move on?

We`ll talk to the son of President Ronald Reagan, Michael Reagan, who himself survived sexual abuse.
(MUSIC)

PINSKY: Jerry Sandusky remains in jail tonight. He was convicted on 45 counts of child sex abuse this weekend. Likely, he is going to spend the rest of his life in prison.

Take a look at this.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Jerry said to me, "I`m prepared to deal with whatever happens."

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: As he walked into the courtroom, he sat down, he did not look at his family, who were sitting pretty so much his right toward the back.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: And then all of a sudden, I looked and there was victim number six.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I then looked to my right, I looked at Dottie Sandusky as the first verdict came in, the guilty verdicts came in.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: When I looked at him during the verdict, I could see tears running down his eyes.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: When the counts were read, she sobbed in silence, and his eyes filled with tears. He was the lone victim in that courtroom we believe.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Dottie Sandusky just started to blink, repeatedly started to blink over and over again. Seated next to her, her daughter, Kara, remained without emotion. The same with her son, Jeff.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: But here in this courtroom, those survivors, those survivors who testified, are getting justice.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

PINSKY: An interview that Sandusky did with Bob Costas may -- that was on NBC -- may actually play a role in a possible appeal. The tape played for the jury apparently had inaccuracies due to an editing error.

So, take a look at this video, you`ll see for yourself.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
BOB COSTAS, NBC NEWS: Are you sexually attracted to young boys, to underage boys?

JERRY SANDUSKY, FORMER PENN STATE COACH (via telephone): Am I sexually attracted to underage boys?

COSTAS: Yes.

SANDUSKY: Sexually attracted? You know, I enjoy young people. I love to be around them. I -- I -- but no, I`m not sexually attracted to young boys.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

PINSKY: I didn`t see much monkeying there, I`ll tell you what.

Pennsylvania`s attorney general says Sandusky got a fair trial. She stands by the decision to play the video. I don`t see much problem with that video myself.

But the question I guess is: was justice served? Are there any winners in this case after all?

Joining me to discuss this, attorney Lisa Bloom, author of the book "Swagger", and himself a child abuse survivor and son of former President Ronald Reagan, Michael Reagan.

Lisa, I`m going to start with you. Do you think appeals are likely? And one of the rumors I heard was one of the appeal possibilities is on inadequate counsel or something like that because of some of the bizarre things his attorney was saying.

LISA BLOOM, ATTORNEY: I think an appeal is likely. His attorneys said they will appeal. Ineffective assistance of counsel is extremely unlikely to prevail as a theory on appeal though, Drew. It`s a very low standard in the U.S. There are attorneys who have slept through trials and the Supreme Court has said, you know what, that`s effective assistance of counsel. There are attorneys who have shown up drunk for cases in death penalty cases and Supreme Court has said, that was sufficient.

So, I think these attorneys are going to pass that very low bar and that`s going to be an argument that`s going to prevail on appeal.

PINSKY: So, Lisa, you are in the clear, right? Is that what you`re saying? You`re fine, you can appear however you like in court now? I`m just saying.
But listen, one of the things I did want to bring up though was the -- not just the appeal but the manner in which the sequestered jury apparently was able to get its hands on information. You said something on this show about them finding out about what Matt Sandusky said. And it turns out they did. Isn`t that a problem in and of itself?

BLOOM: Yes. Those are the two -- the two good arguments that I see on appeal are Matt Sandusky coming out, very oddly, on the day that the jury was deliberating. They were only deliberating for 20 hours and he decided to come out publicly and said that he was abused by his dad during that deliberation. That`s obviously prejudicial to the defense, that something they`ll raise on appeal.

And also, the defense says that thousands of pages of documents were turned over to them at a late hour and they didn`t have time to review them all. You know, I don`t know why the court didn`t continue the trial in order to give the defense that time. That is typically done. I don`t know how important those documents are but the defense will make much of that.

And look, you know, we want to have fair trials in this country. We want attorneys to have time to review everything. So I`m surprised that the court didn`t give that time just to eliminate that issue on appeal. Most judges would have done that.

PINSKY: And, Michael, I want to go to you. A lot of people seem to have this misconception that somehow, now that the victimizer, the perpetrator, is brought to justice, the victims are somehow relieved, closure to all of this.

How do you help understand what`s the --

MICHAEL REAGAN, SON OF PRESIDENT REAGAN: There`s never really closure. What you try to do is put it in a compartment in your life and hopefully you never have to go there again. There is relief there has been part of a burden lifted from you, because this is all about burden.

PINSKY: Yes.

REAGAN: This is about child asked to keep the bourbon -- burden -- keep the child abuse to themselves and carry that burden all of their lives. And we don`t carry it very well. So, that`s what it`s all about.
So, the relief is the guy who abused me is now going to jail. But let me just tell you something, the average amount of children, one abuser will abuse in their lifetime is 117. This could be the tip of the iceberg.

PINSKY: That`s exactly right. That`s why when people say, are we just talking about sexual abuse more now or do you think it`s more pervasive? Is -- or is it a magnitude of a factor of two?

One perpetrator abuses hundreds, potentially, and then a certain percentage of those become perpetrators and it spreads.

REAGAN: Sixty percent of those who are sexually abused were, in fact, become abusers themselves. If you understand that when a child is abused he is 8 years old, 9 years old, 10 years old. You are taking them at a very young age of their life and you are completely changing --

PINSKY: You`re changing their brain.

REAGAN: The thought process.

PINSKY: Got to the take a break.
Next, the monster may be behind bars but the victims, as we are discussing here, their healing lasts a lifetime. So, please stay with us. We`ll take some calls after this.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

ALLIE, DISMISSED SANDUSKY JUROR: I thought he was creepy and he didn`t look like he was taking it too serious. I thought that was a red flag like he was admiring them like they were his lovers.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

PINSKY: Wow. That was a juror commenting on Jerry Sandusky`s behavior in court.

Joining me again, Lisa Bloom and also joining us is the son of President Ronald Reagan and himself a victim of abuse, Michael Reagan.

Michael, tell us the story. How old what you? What happened?

REAGAN: Really take you back, my parents divorced when I was 3.

REAGAN: So I was between two homes. I was in boarding school as a young kid, the Hollywood crowd sent us all to boarding school.

When I was in third grade, my mother put me into an afterschool program, the first time I spent like days at home after school. And what she didn`t New York the man who was running it was a pedophile. I was looking --

PINSKY: Did he groom you? Was he --

REAGAN: I was looking for that father image.

REAGAN: Taught me how to throw a baseball. Taught me how to throw a football. Taught me, you know, how to be a young boy who Ronald Reagan would be proud of.

And when I took second place in a yo-yo tournament, nobody got first but by the time I got home that night, he had exchanged my second place for a first place finish, my parents framed it put it over my bed. Ultimately, what would happen, because that began the process of being sexually molested by about three days a week. I`d be the last one he picked he would take home at night.

PINSKY: Wow.
REAGAN: Ultimately, he took me up to the Santa Monica Mountains and had me take my clothes off. And he took photographs of me.

And three days later, he said he was going to take me to dinner, told my mom and instead, took me back to his apartment and in his apartment, he had a -- what I now know is a dark room. And took a piece of paper, put a pair of tongs and moved it from one pan to a second pan to a third pan, what came up was a photograph of the Santa Monica Mountains, I had never seen it magic to a kid.

PINSKY: To see the picture come up.

REAGAN: To see the picture come up. He said, would you like to do one? I said yes. And he put the tongs in my hand, he put the paper and the tongs, he moved my hand from the first pan to the second pan to the third pan and what came up was a naked picture of me. And he put his hands on my shoulder like this and said, wouldn`t your mother like to have a copy?

My life ended that day, walked away from God. I have walked away from family. It took me six years to get my mother to kick me out of her house, moving in with my dad. And I took it out, of course, on my dad and Nancy and everybody else around me.

And I would not tell anybody until April 12th, 1987, I told my father what had happened to me as a child. And that was the first time I told anybody, I told my wife just before that, told my mother just after that.

But it is something I lived with during my dad`s governorship, his presidency. I worried about those photographs.

Seven years ago, doctor, I got a letter from the system of the man who sexually abused me who just died, he was in his 80s, said he was evil the day he died as the day he molested me and said, Michael, you can -- she said, Michael, you can be rest assured now the photographs have now finally been destroyed. He kept those photographs from 1953 until seven years ago.

PINSKY: Disgusting. You say, you can imagine probably other kids were in those photographs, too.

REAGAN: There was because the dark room, as I look back, the dark room, hanging from the lines, were pictures of other kids, you know. And in fact, what he had is he had a trunk that was full of photographs of children that he had taken over the years.

PINSKY: These are soul murderers.

Lisa, do you deal with these guys court very often? Do you hear stories like this? I know unfortunate realities of my work, I have to hear these things all the time. Not everyone is as well put together and courageous as Michael to be able to stand up in public and really support other victims.

What`s your take on all of this?

BLOOM: Yes, I have represented many survivors of child sexual abuse, going back to the early 1990s against the Catholic Church, when nobody believed that anybody in the Catholic Church could possibly do something like this, we were up against a wall of silence. I`ve sued schools and a lot of institutions where children are molested.

I tell you, Michael, you are very brave. I`m very proud of you.

PINSKY: Yes, me, too.
BLOOM: I don`t know you but I`m very proud of you for speaking out, because you are going to help people. This is the kind of crime that flourishes only because of silence.

By the way, in the Sandusky case, let`s not forget about the 14 years of people covering up for Sandusky and why? Because they put college football ahead of children`s lives. I`m talking about campus police, local police, the district attorneys, university administrators -- people who saw children being raped with their own two eyes or heard reports of it from credible adults or the victims and failed to act.

This still goes on in the 21st century. And I`d like to see child endangerment charges being brought up against those people. No more child abuse. No more. We all have to stand against it.

PINSKY: Lisa --

REAGAN: If I could jump in, the worst of all is not the university or the Catholic Church, it`s the institution of the family that protects and I write in my book, "Twice Adopted," they protect Uncle Charlie over the child more often than not.

PINSKY: Yes, either through silence or denial --

REAGAN: Absolutely.

PINSKY: Or overt.

REAGAN: Look at Sandusky`s wife.

REAGAN: I mean, the fact -- does she know it was going on? She -- yes. I believe she knew what was going on but she did not want to know that she knew what was going on.

PINSKY: In her heart she knew.
REAGAN: Yes.

PINSKY: Well, you guys, I didn`t have time to get to calls, I apologize.

But, Michael, your story was so compelling. And I -- again, this -- this sentencing of Sandusky and people like you stepping up changes the conversation for the victims. I hope --

REAGAN: Can I just tell people who want help? You can call 1-800- 4ACHILD. They have hot lines, call them and start the process of healing.

PINSKY: Absolutely. There`s treatment out there. There`s -- this doesn`t have to be -- it`s a soul murder but there`s treatment for it and you can come back and flourish.

Lisa, thank you as always.

BLOOM: Thank you.

tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2112 on: June 26, 2012, 02:30:23 PM »

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/26/12417694-nbc-exclusive-matt-sandusky-details-alleged-sex-abuse-by-his-father?lite

hours
ago
NBC exclusive: Matt Sandusky details alleged sex abuse by his father
By Michael Isikoff, NBC News

Jerry Sandusky’s adopted son Matt told police he was sexually molested by his father for years — and once fled in fear from the Sandusky home — during a secret police interview that took place in the middle of his father’s trial for child sex-abuse, according to a copy of the tape obtained by NBC News.

In his interview with police, Matt Sandusky was asked directly why he decided to change his previous denials of abuse and cooperate with police.

“I came forward, I mean, for different reasons,” he said. “But I mean for my family you know so that they can really have closure and see what the truth actually is. And just to right the wrong, honestly, of going to the grand jury and lying.”

Matt Sandusky also said that he has been working with a therapist and, as a result, “more memories are coming back.”

Matt Sandusky also said that his father’s molesting stopped when he started to “transition” to another young man who used to stay at the Sandusky house. That boy, now a man known in court documents as "Victim 4," was the first witness at Sandusky’s trial, testifying to years of sexual abuse.

The police detective said on the tape, “You told us that you feel (Victim 4) took over for you, and that he was your dad’s transition?”
“I believe my dad moved on from me to (Victim 4), yes,” Matt Sandusky replied.

After a two-week trial, Jerry Sandusky was convicted Friday night on 45 of 48 counts of child sex abuse. His lawyer, Rominger, said he was the first to visit Sandusky in jail Monday and described his client as defiant.

“He’s not a beaten man,” he said. “He is pacing a cell right now, being held in solitary confinement, wanting to get out and get his story out and continue to defend himself.” He added: “I don’t think Jerry believes there’s anything to feel sorry for. At this point, he maintains his innocence adamantly.”

Video at link

tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2113 on: June 26, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »

Three victims of Jerry Sandusky want to stop Second Mile from transferring assets
Published: June 26, 2012 Updated 16 minutes ago

Attorneys for three victims abused by Jerry Sandusky are asking a Centre County judge not to allow the charity Sandusky founded to transfer millions of dollars to a Texas organization as part of its plan to close for good.

The request in Centre County Orphan’s Court was filed today by the attorneys for victims 3, 5, and 7. A man identified as John Doe A, who was not a victim in the grand jury presentment but who has filed a civil suit in Philadelphia, is also asking making the request.

In May, The Second Mile petitioned the court to transfer its assets and programs for children to Arrow Child and Family Ministries, which is based in Houston. Second Mile officials cited a lack of community and donor support as the reasons for deciding to close.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/26/3242664/three-victims-of-jerry-sandusky.html#storylink=cpy

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2114 on: June 26, 2012, 04:56:01 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/sandusky-scandal-had-one-perpetrator-and-many-accomplices/2012/06/26/gJQAWs8t4V_story.html
Sandusky scandal had one perpetrator, and many accomplices
By Mike Wise
June 26, 2012

Comments

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2115 on: June 26, 2012, 04:59:41 PM »

https://twitter.com/#!/sganim
55mSara Ganim ‏@sganim
#Sandusky atty Rominger: Attys called to judge's office about Matt tape leak. No one owned up to it. @pennlive

2h Sara Ganim Sara Ganim ‏@sganim
Matt #Sandusky's statement regarding leak of his police interview: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/jerry_sanduskys_son_matt_did_n.html

3h Sara Ganim Sara Ganim ‏@sganim
Protective order against attorneys sharing evidence ordered after NBC gets Matt #Sandusky's taped police interview

3h Sara Ganim Sara Ganim ‏@sganim
#Sandusky judge orders defense to say, under oath, if they've disclosed evidence to media, or others. Orders sharing of evidence to stop

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2116 on: June 26, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »

https://twitter.com/#!/cvmikesisak
2h Michael Sisak Michael Sisak ‏@cvmikesisak
Covering the #Sandusky trial for @citizensvoice: 3 weeks, 39 stories, 40,169 words. Wow.

3h Michael Sisak Michael Sisak ‏@cvmikesisak
NBC News: Matt Sandusky details allegations of about in 29-minute police interview http://on.msnbc.com/LdyxCk

3h Laura Nichols Laura Nichols ‏@LC_Nichols
Looks like Cleland doesn't want any more "exclusive" material leaked to the media. See: NBC interview with Matt Sandusky.
Retweeted by Michael Sisak

3h Anne Danahy Anne Danahy ‏@AnneDanahy
Judge's order in #Sandusky case comes the same day NBC releases tape of police interview w/Matt Sandusky

3h Centre Daily Times Centre Daily Times ‏@centredailycom
Jerry #Sandusky calls his wife from jail http://bit.ly/MVmZCk

4h The Citizens' Voice The Citizens' Voice ‏@CitizensVoice
Tape: Sandusky's adopted son talks of sex abuse http://ow.ly/bQ0Ew

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2117 on: June 26, 2012, 05:16:49 PM »

https://twitter.com/#!/scnewsdesk
2h StateCollege.com StateCollege.com ‏@SCNewsDesk
#Sandusky case: Cleland bans dissemination of any information not on the record: http://bit.ly/LdPegX

4h StateCollege.com StateCollege.com ‏@SCNewsDesk
Matt #Sandusky Tells Police 'I Really Wanted to Die' On Tape Obtained by NBC News: http://bit.ly/LNTGUq

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2118 on: June 26, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/judge-cleland-bans-dissemination-of-information-not-on-the-record-1076598/
Judge Cleland Bans Dissemination of Information Not on the Record
By Laura Nichols
June 26, 2012

udge John Cleland signed an order Tuesday afternoon to protect any privileged information having to do with the Jerry Sandusky case from being disseminated to media and non-legal entities now that the trial is over and the gag order is lifted.

The order comes on the same day NBC News released the tape of Matt Sandusky talking to police, during his adoptive father's trial, about his abuse.

According to a two-page protective order signed Tuesday, Cleland wants to assure "the integrity of ongoing criminal investigations, to protect the privacy of victims who testified during the criminal trial and to protect the privacy of others who may testify, or who have testified, before the Investigating Grand Jury."

Cleland banned the distribution of any materials given to Sandusky's defense team by the prosecution not made part of the record during trial. This includes both mandatory and discretionary discovery material.

Sandusky's defense team was also ordered to provide, within 10 days, an inventory of all materials supplied during discovery and to what entities any privileged information has been distributed. This is so the court and the investigative grand jury can ensure the protection of those parties who seek it.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/98324939/Sandusky-Protective-Order
Sandusky Protective Order

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2119 on: June 26, 2012, 10:04:37 PM »

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/office_building_for_jerry_sand.html
Office building for Jerry Sandusky's charity, The Second Mile, is up for sale
June 26, 2012

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — The building that houses the offices for the charity founded by convicted child molester Jerry Sandusky is up for sale.

An online listing for The Second Mile's two-story office building showed a selling price of $750,000. A large "For Sale" sign could be seen Tuesday that completely covered the sign for the charity once visible on a busy street in State College.

Comments

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.