March 28, 2024, 03:02:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fmr PSU Coach Jerry Sandusky Convicted on 45 Counts of Sexual Abuse of 10 Boys  (Read 1002105 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2180 on: July 02, 2012, 03:52:43 PM »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sunday-morning-percolator-paternos-tarnished-100024204--nfl.html
Sunday Morning Percolator: Paterno's tarnished legacy
By Dave Miller
July 1, 2012

The Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal at Penn State took yet another ugly turn Friday night when an alleged cover-up by university officials came into sharper focus.
 ::snipping2::
The question everyone is asking is how much did Paterno really know about the allegations against Sandusky? Perhaps we will find out more later this summer when the Freeh report is released. The emails obtained by CNN were uncovered during Penn State's independent investigation by former FBI director Louis Freeh.

For now, there's no doubt that these emails are potentially very damaging to Curley and Schultz, who already face perjury charges. It also paints Spanier in a bad light as well. Spanier's lobby to exempt Penn State from open records laws in 2007 may indeed have been to assure that these Sandusky emails could only surface via a subpoena. At the time those emails were written, Penn State was still subject to FOIA laws. And that could very well be the reason why Spanier, Schultz and Curley don't actually reference Sandusky by name in the exchanges. They refer to him as "subject."

For Paterno, his complicated legacy has potentially taken yet another hit as the ugliest story in the history of college sports continues to reveal the sad truth about an institution that placed football above morals. And of a head coach who preferred to maintain the pristine image of a program at the expense of those abused by Sandusky.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2181 on: July 02, 2012, 06:17:07 PM »

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/paterno-family-wants-freeh-attorney-generals-office-to-release-all-emails-and-records-1081759/

Paterno Family Wants Freeh, Attorney General's Office to Release All Emails and Records
by Laura Nichols on July 02, 2012 5:45 PM

The entire statement from the Paterno family released Monday:

"From the moment the Jerry Sandusky crisis erupted, Joe Paterno patiently and persistently called for a thorough and professional investigation. He abhorred the rush to judgment that occurred last November and he spoke out forcefully for a comprehensive review that protected no one while preserving due process for everyone. Coach Paterno emphasized that the best way to serve the victims and protect the reputation of Penn State was by a total commitment to uncovering the full truth.

"With the leaking of selective emails over the last few days, it is clear that someone in a position of authority is not interested in a fair or thorough investigation. To be clear, the Paterno family does not know the source or sources of these leaks. The question that needs to be asked is why this breach of confidentiality, which seeks to preempt the Freeh report and undermine the courts, is not being objected to or otherwise addressed by those in a position of authority.

"It should not be the responsibility of the Paterno family to call for an honest, independent investigation. Given the seriousness and complexity of this case, everyone should be demanding the full truth, not just carefully selected excerpts of certain emails.

Releasing these emails in this way is not intended to inform the discussion but to smear former Penn State officials, including Joe Paterno. The truth is Joe Paterno reported the 2001 incident promptly and fully. He was interviewed by the Grand Jury for a total of 8 minutes and told the truth to the best of his recollection. He was never interviewed by the University. He was not afforded due process and his story was never fully told. And he was never allowed to see the files and records that are now in question. In spite of these facts, however, numerous pundits and critics are exploiting these disconnected and distorted records to attack Joe Paterno.

"Accordingly, the Paterno family is calling on the Freeh Group and the Attorney General's office to immediately release all emails and records they have related to this case. The public should not have to try and piece together a story from a few records that have been selected in a calculated way to manipulate public opinion. Joe Paterno didn't fear the truth, he sought the truth. His guidance to his family and his advisors was to pursue the full truth. This is the course we have followed for 9 months. It is the course we will follow to the end."

No child should have duct tape on their face when they die. There's no reason to put duct tape on the face after they die. ~ Dr. G

"People don't make accidents look like murder." ~ Jeff Ashton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2182 on: July 02, 2012, 11:21:02 PM »

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/7/2/3126196/penn-state-scandal-jerry-sandusky-trial-appeals
Penn State Scandal: Explaining The Jerry Sandusky Appeals Process
July 2, 2012

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2183 on: July 03, 2012, 09:00:47 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/02/paterno-statement-penn-sate-sandusky-cover-up_n_1644591.html#slide=1054961
Key Figures in Penn State Scandal
Slide show with 16 images

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2184 on: July 03, 2012, 09:44:32 AM »

http://deadspin.com/5923000/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
What If Joe Paterno Was Innocent? Hypothetical Dialogues From A Dark Time At Penn State
By Tom Scocca
July 2, 2012

Comments

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2185 on: July 03, 2012, 05:37:36 PM »

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/gov_tom_corbett_calls_law_allo.html
Gov. Tom Corbett calls law allowing experts to testify on sex abuse a positive to come out of Jerry Sandusky case
By Jan Murphy, The Patriot-News
July 3, 2012

Pennsylvania has rid itself of being the only state in the nation that didn't allow experts to testify in prosecutions of sexual assault cases.

The new law will allow expert witnesses to testify about a victim’s response and behavior during and after the sexual assault. Criminal justice advocates argue that expert testimony is necessary to provide jurors with the proper context in which to evaluate a victim’s behavior.

At ceremonial signing of a bill he signed on Friday, Gov. Tom Corbett said, "In the last few months, this has caught the attention of the nation and it has caught the attention of Pennsylvania and testimony that came out during the course of the trial in Bellefonte, there was not an expert that could testify there to explain to the people why some people don't report or keep what is a very violent offense against them quiet. That could have been helpful"

Corbett joined  by Rep. Cherelle Parker, D-Philadelphia, and victim advocates and district attorneys at the Harrisburg YWCA to laud the legislation's passage.

Parker said she has been working on getting this law on the books for six years, but the child sexual assault cases involving clergy in Philadelphia and Jerry Sandusky helped push this forward.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2186 on: July 03, 2012, 06:15:48 PM »

I don't agree with the reasoning in this article.  But there are some very interesting comments, imo.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1244004-penn-state-the-ncaa-needs-to-stay-out-of-the-mess-surrounding-sandusky-scandal
Penn State: NCAA Needs to Stay Out of Mess Surrounding Jerry Sandusky Scandal
By Mike Felder
July 2, 2012

Comments

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2187 on: July 04, 2012, 07:56:06 AM »

https://twitter.com/#!/cvmikesisak

8h In Session In Session ‏@InSession
A new civil suit was filed against #Sandusky on June 28. It names other parties including The Second Mile and Penn State University.
Retweeted by Michael Sisak

13h Michael Sisak Michael Sisak ‏@cvmikesisak
Best part about working on the desk: putting my own Paterno, Spanier, Curley photo on the page with @houseofbuddy's story on Paterno family.

14h 6News Assign Editor 6News Assign Editor ‏@6News_NewsDesk
6News reporter Gary Sinderson confirms the final Freeh Commission interview at PSU has been conducted. Report due in weeks.

17h PA Independent PA Independent ‏@PAindependent
Gov. Tom Corbett going to ceremonially sign bill allowing expert testimony in cases of sexual assault. http://ow.ly/i/K5GR

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2188 on: July 04, 2012, 08:00:03 AM »

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/03/3250460/pennsylvania-legislator-wants.html
Bill takes aim at Sandusky’s pension, legislation would end state payments to sex offenders
July 3, 2012 Updated 6 hours ago

Comments

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2189 on: July 04, 2012, 09:57:50 AM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/02/ddhln.01.html
DR. DREW
Penn State Cover-Up; Nurses Addicted to Adderall
Aired July 2, 2012 - 21:00   ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

DR. DREW PINSKY, HOST: Sandusky`s crimes kept quiet.
We are talking about possible cover-up. There are alleged e-mails that indicate Penn State officials knew about Jerry Sandusky`s pedophilia long ago and then tried hide it. Sandusky is not mentioned by name and HLN does not have the alleged e-mails. But a source read them to CNN`s Susan Candiotti over the phone.

Could former president Graham Spanier and former university vice president Gary Schultz and former athletic director Tim Curley have stopped Sandusky back in 2001? And why would men in these positions of authority not report these to the police?

Joining me is Lisa Bloom, legal analyst for avo.com. She`s the author of "Swagger".

Lisa, how do you react to these emails?

LISA BLOOM, ATTORNEY: Oh, this is just absolutely disgusting, to think these men were more concerned about protecting themselves, their school, and their football program than protecting children who were rape victims it is almost incomprehensible.

PINSKY: Well, it`s so incomprehensible you make me wonder if it`s not motivated that way, did they just not understand their obligations? Because as I heard this story more and more, it was insular sort of thinking and many institutions, collegiate, university institution, you are skeptical.

BLOOM: You are kinder than I am.

PINSKY: Yes, I know.

BLOOM: You are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. To me, this smacks of a cover up, like with the Catholic Church, moving the priests around until everybody has finally woken up to how bad that is.

PINSKY: It`s possible that. But it looks like that out of the service. I`d just tried to get my head around it.

All right. Read you from some of these alleged e-mails sent in 2001 by the former university president Graham Spanier to Tim Curley and Gary Schultz. Here it is: "The only downside is if the message isn`t heard and acted upon and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it. But that can be assessed down the road."

Again, that was specifically told to CNN`s Susan Candiotti over the phone.

So, you again, you`re disgusted.

BLOOM: What about the downside to children who are being raped by this man and we now know that and how foreseeable it was it in 2001 that a man who`s accused of molesting a little boy in a shower where he was witnessed by a third person would continue to do that -- as he did?

PINSKY: But, Lisa, this is the part that stuns, me is that people in position of authority with young people, children in this case, and college aged kids don`t understand the reporting requirement. That`s what it seems like to me.

BLOOM: They talk about the downside to themselves. All they care about is protecting their own butts and protecting the university. There`s nothing in any of these emails about protecting children. There`s not an iota of compassion for children.

PINSKY: Well, nor is there any conversation about, you know what our reporting requirements are that we are ignoring.

BLOOM: Right.

PINSKY: They have absolute, categorical legal obligations that they seem ignorant of. That`s not said in these e-mails either. And that`s what I can`t understand.

It`s easy to cover up if you don`t understand you have an absolute legal obligation to report and protect those kids now, instantly.

BLOOM: How about having a heart as human being?

PINSKY: Well, yes.

BLOOM: For children who are being molested?

PINKSY: There you go. That`s --

BLOOM: Wouldn`t most good and decent people immediately call the police and let them sort it out? If they don`t know all the facts, which surely they didn`t, let`s give it to law enforcement, let`s let them investigate. That`s their job.

PINSKY: That`s exactly right. That`s -- because you know somebody, and they`re doing something you never imagine they would do, it`s easy to stay in denial about it and ignore and pretend --

BLOOM: There`s so much denial.

PINSKY: That`s why you called the cops.

BLOOM: So much denial.

PINSKY: Let them sort it out.

Let`s go to a caller. Vicky in Indiana -- Vicky.

VICKY, CALLER FROM INDIANA: I would like to know how anyone thinks it`s right to touch anyone`s child in the shower.

BLOOM: Thank you. Of course.

PINSKY: Vicky, thank you. That`s the one -- starting right there. And his defense team, I talked to one of his attorneys last week, and he was saying that perhaps some of the kids sort of generalized their abuse, you know, and sort of included. But that`s what can happen when you have inappropriate --

BLOOM: What do you mean generalize their abuse?

PINSKY: If you can get in a room sometime with a patient that is sexually abused and if you violate any boundaries with them, they can flashback and experience the whole thing

BLOOM: Oh, yes. Sure.

PINSKY: But guess what? You shouldn`t have been in that room violating boundaries of any type with that person. That`s the shower thing.

Marcia --

BLOOM: Vicky would have called the police.

PINSKY: Marcia in Washington -- that`s right. Marsha, go ahead.

MARCIA, CALLER FROM WASHINGTON: Hi Dr. Drew, Lisa.

BLOOM: Hi.

MARCIA: I was upset enough when the three kids didn`t get full justice because of non-guilty verdict. Now to find out it has been covered up, that`s really made me ticked off. Is there any way -- I know it`s murder, you can be charged with accessory. Is there anyway that these A- holes can be charged as accessories to every crime committed after they found out and get locked up for a long time just like Sandusky?

BLOOM: You know, Marcia, I have been saying long time, they should all be charged with child endangerment. And these are people who had notice who failed to act and then more boys were molested later. We know that to be the case.

Let`s see more charges brought against them, criminally and civilly.

PINSKY: OK. Now, HLN has reached to Graham Spanier`s lawyer and he has yet to return our calls. Gary Schultz and Tim Curley`s lawyers have released this statement, "For Curley, Schultz, Spanier and Paterno, the responsible and humane thing to do was to carefully and responsibly assess the best way to handle vague, but troubling allegations. Faced with tough situations, good people tried to do their best to make the right decisions."

BLOOM: So, what is tough about this situation? You have report -- I saw him raping a boy in the show.

PINSKY: Report, I`m reporting it based on what you said.

BLOOM: What is tough in this situation? Let`s see -- do I prevent a child from being raped or I cover up for a guy that I know? I don`t find that to get tough call at all.

PINSKY: You do neither. You relinquish it to the appropriate agency.

BLOOM: I`m just appalled anybody thinks that is tough. And even now, through their own lawyer`s statements, even now in 2012, after the man has been convicted, they`re still giving a statement like this.

PINSKY: Now, we tend -- correct me if I am wrong but our legal system tends no to the prosecute co-mission so much, right? So are these guys likely to get charged, do you think?

BLOOM: You mean omission? Someone -- co-mission is when somebody commits an act.

(CROSSTALK)

PINSKY: Omission. I beg your pardon, omission. Yes. And this is an omission.

BLOOM: You know, I brought a lawsuit years ago against a family who knew that one of their members was a child molesters, and he had taken up with my client, a single mom and molested the boy. And it was a very hard case to prove in court. Ultimately, we had to settle out of court, because generally the law does not require people to report.

But when you work with children, you have certain obligations which I feel were not met here. And when you have knowledge that a child is being molested, you are failed to act, that is just reprehensible. I mean, that`s just perpetuating the denial and more boys were raped after this.

PINSKY: I know. That`s the part -- that is the sickening part, which was foreseeable.

PINSKY: OK. Angela in Arizona --- Angela, you comment as well?

ANGELA, CALLER FROM ARIZONA: Hi, thanks, Dr. Drew.

PINSKY: Yes.

ANGELA: My question is people like Jerry Sandusky, Casey Anthony, a lot of lies they told were truly proven to be lies. Do those people actually believe the statements that they make? Truly believe it?

PINSKY: Well, it`s a great question.

BLOOM: Great question.

PINSKY: I`m not sure we can answer that accurately. My experience with people that lie is sometimes they lose track of when they`re like and they`re not. And a really good liar, like Casey Anthony to me, I think had no idea what was real and what wasn`t.

BLOOM: Yes.

PINSKY: Sandusky feels the same way to me. He is so insolent and sort of, I don`t know, some bizarre sort of attitude he has about all of this that makes me feel like -- somehow doesn`t -- he doesn`t comprehend what this is all about.

BLOOM: Yes, we have an expression in my law firm -- people start to buy their own B.S., they come up with these stories and repeat them over and again, and they even convince themselves sometimes.

PINSKY: Of course.

Well, OK, Lisa, thank you so much. This is a story that continues to evolve and we will, of course go deep with the ongoing commentary.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2190 on: July 04, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »

I think we need to see the emails released.  

And from what I've read in a number of articles at various sources so far, Joe Paterno didn't use email.  Is this an error?
"Ahead of former FBI director Louis Freeh’s report on Penn State’s handling of the Sandusky scandal, CNN has reported that emails between Paterno, fired school president Graham Spanier, former athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz suggest that it was Joe Pa who talked the others out of reporting Sandusky to the authorities. The Paterno family has countered that the emails are misleading and the story a smear. "  ::snipping2::

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/post/what-paterno-admitted-he-knew-sandusky-couldnt-have-done-it-without-him/2012/07/03/gJQAaK4yLW_blog.html
What Paterno admitted he knew: Sandusky couldn’t have done it without him
By Melinda Henneberger
July 3, 2012

Lots of comments
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:16:24 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #2191 on: July 04, 2012, 10:18:39 PM »

Disturbing e-mails could spell more trouble for Penn State officials

Mon July 2, 2012

With convicted serial child sex abuser Jerry Sandusky behind bars, new questions are surfacing about what Penn State officials knew about a 2001 incident involving the former assistant football coach's encounter with a boy in the shower -- and whether they covered up the incident.

Sandusky sexually abused other boys in the years after the 2001 incident and before his arrest.

CNN does not have the purported e-mails. However, the alleged contents were read to CNN.

The messages indicate former Penn State President Graham Spanier and two other former university officials knew they had a problem with Sandusky after a 2001 shower incident, but apparently first decided to handle it using a "humane" approach before contacting outside authorities whose job it is to investigate suspected abuse.

"This is a more humane and upfront way to handle this,' Gary Schultz, who was a university vice president at the time, allegedly wrote.
Sandusky e-mails revealed
Sandusky still eligible for pension
Attorney: Sandusky disappointed in son
Analysis: Jerry Sandusky verdict
Photos: Jerry Sandusky convicted Photos: Jerry Sandusky convicted

Records show no authorities were ever contacted and Sandusky was eventually charged with having sexual contact with four more boys after the 2001 incident. On June 22, Sandusky was convicted of abusing 10 boys over 15 years.

In an exchange of messages from February 26 to February 28, 2001, Spanier allegedly acknowledges Penn State could be "vulnerable" for not reporting the incident, according to two sources with knowledge of the case.

"The only downside for us is if the message (to Sandusky) isn't 'heard' and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it," Spanier purportedly writes.

The alleged e-mails among Spanier, Schultz, 62, and former Athletic Director Tim Curley, 57, never mention Sandusky by name, instead referring to him as "the subject" and "the person." Children that Sandusky brought on campus --some of whom might have been victims -- are referred to as "guests."

The purported exchanges began 16 days after graduate assistant Mike McQueary first told Head Coach Joe Paterno on February 9, 2001, that McQueary believed he saw Sandusky make sexual contact with a boy in a locker room shower.

Since the scandal broke, Schultz and Curley have publicly maintained McQueary reported only inappropriate conduct -- horsing around. The purported e-mails indicate the men could be at additional risk for not disclosing the matter to authorities. Schultz and Curley are currently charged with perjury for allegedly lying to a grand jury and failing to report suspected child abuse. They have pleaded not guilty.

Paterno testified before a grand jury that McQueary was "very upset" and said he saw Sandusky "doing something with a youngster. It was a sexual nature," according to a transcript. Paterno testified he told his boss, Curley. Curley and Schultz contacted McQueary about a week and half later about the incident.

In an alleged e-mail dated February 26, 2001, Schultz writes to Curley that he assumes Curley's "got the ball" about a three-part plan to "talk with the subject asap regarding the future appropriate use of the University facility," ... "contacting the chair of the charitable organization" and "contacting the Department of Welfare," according to a source with knowledge of the case.

(The "subject" is Sandusky and his Second Mile charity is the "charitable organization," according to a source with knowledge of the e-mails. Pennsylvania law requires suspected child abuse be reported to outside authorities, including the state's child welfare agencies).

The next evening, February 27, Curley allegedly writes to Spanier; Schultz, who's out of the office for two weeks, is copied.

Curley refers to a meeting scheduled that day with Spanier and indicates they apparently discussed the Sandusky incident two days earlier.

Curley indicates he no longer wants to contact child welfare authorities just yet. He refers to a conversation the day before with Paterno. It's not known what Paterno may have said to Curley.

Curley allegedly writes: "After giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe yesterday, I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps."

The athletic director apparently preferred to keep the situation an internal affair and talk things over with Sandusky instead of notifying the state's child welfare agency.

"I am having trouble with going to everyone, but the person involved," Curley allegedly continues.

Curley writes he'd be "more comfortable" meeting with Sandusky himself and telling him they know about the 2001 incident and, according to a source with knowledge of the case, he refers to another shower incident with a boy in 1998 that was investigated by police but never resulted in charges against Sandusky.

Curley purportedly writes to Spanier, saying he wants to meet with Sandusky, tell him there's "a problem," and that "we want to assist the individual to get professional help."

In the same purported e-mail provided to CNN, Curley goes on to suggest that if Sandusky "is cooperative," Penn State "would work with him" to tell Second Mile. If not, Curley states, the university will inform both Second Mile and outside authorities.

Curley adds that he intends to inform Sandusky that his "guests" won't be allowed to use Penn State facilities anymore.

"What do you think of this approach?" Curley allegedly writes to Spanier.

About two hours later, the Penn State president responds to Curley in another e-mail and copies Schultz. Spanier allegedly calls the plan "acceptable," but worries whether it's the right thing to do, according to two sources.

"The only downside for us is if the message (to Sandusky) isn't 'heard' and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it," Spanier purportedly writes.

"But that can be assessed down the road. The approach you outline is humane and a reasonable way to proceed," he adds.

The next afternoon, Schultz allegedly responds to the Penn State president and its athletic director. Schultz signs off on handling the matter without telling anyone on the outside, at least for the time being.

"This is a more humane and upfront way to handle this,' Schultz purportedly writes. But he makes clear Penn State should inform Sandusky's charity Second Mile "with or without (Sandusky's) cooperation."

As for telling child welfare authorities, he adds, "we can play it by ear."

No one reported the 2001 shower incident to authorities. A decade later, in 2011, a grand jury found no Pennsylvania law enforcement or child welfare agency was ever told.

"It was not only not humane to give Sandusky a pass, but inhumane towards young men who fell prey to him," said attorney Tom Kline, who represents Victim 5. About six months after the February 2001 incident witnessed by McQueary, Victim 5 was molested. On June 22, Sandusky was convicted of having unlawful sexual contact with Victim 5, among 44 other counts involving nine other boys.

Sources say that based on the e-mails and other documents, they could face additional charges. Spanier could also be charged, law enforcement sources and legal experts say.

As part of an ongoing grand jury investigation, state prosecutors are poring over the e-mails turned over by Penn State as part of its own investigation, led by former FBI Director Louis Freeh.

According to court papers, the government is also examining a Sandusky file left behind by Schultz. In a statement, Schultz's attorney Tom Farrell says Schultz, who retired in 2009, did not keep any "secret" files.

Prosecutors say the file was created, maintained and possessed by Schultz and assert that documents in the file are "inconsistent" with statements made by Schultz and Curley to a grand jury.

One inconsistency may involve Schultz's grand jury testimony stating the state's child welfare agency was notified about the 2001 shower incident. "My recollection would be ... (in 2002) ... that they were asked to look into this allegation," Schultz testified.

(During McQueary's grand jury testimony, the incident was believed to have occurred in 2002. But investigators later determined the incident happened in February 2001.)

He also testified any notes he "probably" took about the 2002 incident may have been destroyed when he retired in 2009.

Curley's grand jury testimony also appears inconsistent with the purported e-mails. In the messages, he refers to "a first situation" in 1998, yet he told a grand jury he wasn't aware of any other allegations of alleged sexual conduct involving Sandusky.

A prosecutor asked Curley: "Specifically, a 1998 report, did you know anything about that in 2002?" Curley responded: "No, ma'am."

Schultz and Curley, through their lawyers, consistently maintain McQueary didn't tell them about a sexual assault in 2001, and instead said McQueary described "inappropriate conduct" or horsing around.

McQueary has repeatedly testified he told Penn State officials he saw a boy with his hands up against a wall with Sandusky behind him and heard slapping, rhythmic sounds. He added that someone wouldn't have to be "a rocket scientist" to figure out what was going on.

A jury acquitted Sandusky of rape involving the 2001 incident, and instead found Sandusky guilty of several other counts involved in that shower incident including unlawful sexual contact.

Spanier's lawyer did not respond to calls from CNN seeking comment for this story.

According to Penn State's board of trustees, Spanier was fired last year because "he failed to meet his leadership responsibilities."

Shortly after his dismissal, Spanier issued a statement that said, in part, "I was stunned and outraged to learn that any predatory act might have occurred in a university facility or by someone associated with the university. ... I would never hesitate to report a crime if I had any suspicion that one had been committed."

In a statement to CNN, lawyers for Schultz and Curley said both men were doing the best they could about a report of "inappropriate conduct" by a man with a stellar reputation.

"As Governor Tom Corbett stated, 'If we were going to do this case, we had to have the best possible case to go against somebody like Mr. Sandusky who was ... loved by everybody. Carried out of the football stadium on the shoulders of his football team. How can anybody say there must be something wrong with him?'" the lawyers' statement read, citing Corbett's remarks in a June 25 article by The Patriot News.

"For Curley, Schultz, Spanier and Paterno, the responsible and 'humane' thing to do was, like Governor Corbett (said), to carefully and responsibly assess the best way to handle vague, but troubling allegations. Faced with tough situations, good people try to do their best to make the right decisions."

A spokesman for Paterno's family, who has not seen any e-mails, told CNN Paterno didn't communicate by e-mail and defended the coach.

"Everyone should want the truth ... and Joe always told the truth," Dan McGinn told CNN. "He did the right thing. He told his boss about McQueary."

One thing is clear. There's no evidence Penn State did anything to find the boy involved in the 2001 incident.

The night Sandusky was led away in handcuffs, Penn State issued a statement calling for healing. So did the family of Joe Paterno.

Healing might take time. Everyone is waiting for the results of Freeh's investigation, anticipated by this fall. It's unclear when state investigators will finish their work. The Justice Department is also conducting a probe, as is the U.S. Department of Education and the NCAA.

And Penn State is already reaching out to attorneys representing Sandusky's victims.

None of the victims has, as of yet, filed any lawsuit.

Kline, Victim 5's attorney, said he wants to see the results of Penn State's investigation.

"Everything we saw in this trial could have been stopped by Penn State," Kline told CNN.

"This is an American tragedy of monumental proportions."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/30/justice/penn-state-emails/

Challapalca him!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2192 on: July 05, 2012, 07:37:29 PM »

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/graham-spanier-responds-to-penn-states-objections-over-his-lawsuit-asks-court-to-overrule-1083557/
Graham Spanier Responds to Penn State's Objections Over His Lawsuit, Asks Court to Overrule
By Laura Nichols
July 5, 2012

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2193 on: July 05, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/Jerry-Sandusky-son-no-longer-at-West-Chester/KD7IFH1S1UqFd7LRWKeRfw.cspx
Jerry Sandusky's adopted son E.J. no longer coaching at West Chester
July 5, 2012

HARRISBURG -- E.J. Sandusky, an adopted son of convicted child sex abuser Jerry Sandusky, is no longer an assistant football coach at Division II West Chester University, CBS 21 News Sports Director Jason Bristol has learned.

E.J. Sandusky's contract ended on June 30, according to James Zuhlke, the university's sports information director. Sandusky coached at WCU for five seasons while obtaining a master's degree, which he completed in May.

West Chester, which is located 38 miles west of Philadelphia, officially began looking for a new assistant coach on Tuesday.

E.J. Sandusky's biography and contact information was removed from the WCU sports website after he received harassing phone calls, according to a November 2011 story in The Quad, the school's student newspaper.

He has not spoken publicly about Jerry Sandusky's arrest or conviction.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2194 on: July 06, 2012, 07:01:33 PM »

https://twitter.com/#!/cvmikesisak

3h Michael Sisak Michael Sisak ‏@cvmikesisak
During investigation, AG's office seized hard drives from football office, including that of Paterno secretary.

@rdframe almost every correspondence he had, as with many coaches, execs, etc., passed through a secretary. Letters, cards, emails.

Documents in Paterno Library archives show Paterno received/sent email messages via secretary at least as far back as 2001.

Or was that his secretary sending the emails? RT @Deadspin: Oops! Joe Paterno knew how to use email after all: http://deadsp.in/nO8g

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2195 on: July 06, 2012, 07:05:45 PM »

http://deadspin.com/5923920/oops-joe-paterno-knew-how-to-use-email-after-all?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
Oops! Joe Paterno Knew How To Use Email After All
By Tom Ley
July 6, 2012

The Chronicle of Higher Education is reporting today that it has obtained evidence demonstrating that, contrary to claims from his family's legal representatives, former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno was in fact able to use email. And he wasn't afraid to do so in order to try and protect his football program.

An email exchange between former Penn State president Graham Spanier, vice president Gary Schultz, and athletic director Tim Curley that was reported by CNN last week seemed to suggest that the university administration had decided not to report Jerry Sandusky to the proper authorities after being dissuaded by a conversation with Paterno.

Paterno's family responded to CNN's report by claiming that select emails were being leaked in order to smear Paterno's name, and that Paterno himself never actually used email, meaning there was no record of him being involved in the alleged cover-up.

Today's story in The Chronicle refutes the claim that Paterno hadn't used email, though, as it points to an email that the coach sent to Tim Curley in 2007 after multiple Penn State football players had been involved in an off-campus fight:

After the incident, Mr. Paterno wrote to Graham B. Spanier, the university's president, and "Tim"—presumably Mr. Curley—through an e-mail account used by the coach's assistant, Sandi Segursky.

"I want to make sure everyone understands that the discipline of the players involved will be handled by me as soon as I am comfortable that I know all the facts," said the April 7, 2007, e-mail, which was signed "Joe."

The exchange published in the Chronicle appears to support the idea that Paterno believed his football program should be immune to normal university discipline. And he wasn't shy about flexing his muscle. Even over email.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2196 on: July 06, 2012, 07:08:45 PM »

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/06/3253710/penn-state-trustees-agenda-includes.html
Penn State trustees agenda includes setting of tuition, doesn't say when Freeh report will be released
July 6, 2012

UNIVERSITY PARK — The agenda for Penn State’s board of trustees meeting next week in the Scranton area has been released.

Historically, the attention on the summer trustees meeting is focused on setting tuition rates. But this time, the focus has been turned on the Jerry Sandusky child abuse criminal case and allegations of possible coverup by top administrators.

There doesn’t appear to be anything on the agenda that points to the scandal.

Sometime this summer, the university is expected to release the full report from the investigation by former FBI director Louis Freeh. The university has said the report will be released to the public the same time it’s released to the board of trustees.

Trustees will meet at 1:30 p.m. July 13 at the Penn State Worthington Scranton campus in Dunmore.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2197 on: July 06, 2012, 07:11:27 PM »

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-creates-new-background-check-policy-1084967/
Penn State Creates New Background Check Policy
By Laura Nichols
July 6, 2012

Penn State now requires criminal background checks for final job candidates and third-party employees offered employment and before they begin working at the university.

Launched Thursday, three of the university's policies – HR69, HR95 and HR96 – were combined into a new policy, HR99, also known as "Background Check Process." It's a more comprehensive procedure falling in line with recently issued U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission guidelines on background checks, according to Penn State officials.

The new policy ensures a clear-cut process will be followed with each new hire that a candidate's criminal history and any potential child abuse records are reviewed.

University officials said background checks will be used to evaluate only candidates' eligibility to be employed in any capacity by the university.

Any current employees considered to hold sensitive or critical positions, as defined by the policy, must also complete background checks if they have not already done so.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2198 on: July 06, 2012, 07:13:33 PM »

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/chronicle-of-higher-education-paterno-sent-emails-regarding-disciplinary-issues-1084931/
Chronicle of Higher Education: Paterno Sent Emails Regarding Disciplinary Issues
By Nate Mink
July 6, 2012

New emails obtained by the Chronicle of Higher Education indicate former football coach Joe Paterno communicated via email with then-president Graham Spanier regarding disciplinary issues involving his players.

The emails, turned over to the Chronicle by an unnamed source close the Jerry Sandusky investigation, reportedly deal with the 2007 fight involving several football players at Meridian Apartments.

One such email, according to the report, reads: "I want to make sure everyone understands that the discipline of the players involved will be handled by me as soon as I am comfortable that I know all the facts." It was sent through his secretary's email account, dated April 7, 2007 and signed "Joe."

Spanier, in response, wrote: "This is my understanding as well."

This would appear to undercut a statement issued by the Paterno family on Saturday in response to a separate CNN report regarding three top Penn State administrators exchanging a series of emails about whether to contact The Second Mile or the state Department of Welfare upon learning of sexual abuse allegations against Sandusky.

According to emails cited by CNN, Paterno discussed the plan with athletic director Tim Curley.

In the statement, family attorney Wick Sollers wrote Paterno never used email — a somewhat quizzical notion indeed.

Vicky Triponey, the vice president of student affairs at the time of the incident, was also copied on the emails and wrote back to ensure Paterno knew her Judicial Affairs office and law officials would play a role in determining discipline as well.

"This has not always been clear with Coach Paterno so we might want to clarify that and encourage him to work with us to find the truth and handle this collaboratively with the police and the university," she wrote, according to the report.

"The challenge here is that the letter suggests that football should handle this and now Coach Paterno is also saying THEY will handle this and makes it look like the normal channels will be ignored for football players.

"Can you remind them of police and University responsibility?"
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2199 on: July 06, 2012, 08:04:33 PM »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/07/06/penn-state-jerry-sandusky-abuse-inquiry.ap/index.html
Penn State's internal inquiry nears end, findings expected soon
July 6, 2012

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.