March 18, 2024, 11:46:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mel Gibson  (Read 9574 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 09:42:03 PM »

A lot has been said about celebrities talking about their political beliefs and that they shouldn't do it. Dixie Chicks are a good example.

On the other hand, we have Bono who took US Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, through four sub-Saharan countries—Ghana, South Africa, Uganda, and Ethiopia—visiting AIDS clinics, startup enterprises, and schools. He coaxed public and private lending institutions of the world's industrialized nations to forgive $350 billion in functionally uncollectible loans owed by more than 50 developing nations, mostly in sub-Saharan Africa.  Bono wound up on the cover of Time Magazine's "person of the year" along with the philanthropist Bill Gates.

Not to mention that Angelina Jolie is a Goodwill Ambassador for the United States.

We have heard that sports figures regarded as role models are setting a very bad example for easily influenced young people. Think Kobe and OJ and Bonds.

I agree celebrities often make a faux pas and they are eventually forgiven. But I cannot recall anyone making a such a serious faux pas about religion. Remember, Gibson's father Hutton, was a holocaust denier. In other words, he said the holocaust never happened. That viewpoint is considered extremely radical. And Mel grew up under the influence of his father. Children Learn What They Live. It is absolutely unforgivable for Mel to have said what he did, considering all the controversy that surrounded his religious beliefs after making the Passion. Especially at the same time a war is being waged in the Middle East by people who have stately clearly that Israel should be wiped off the face of the earth.

It is not very important or interesting that a Hollywood star has substance abuse problems. But the sentiment expressed by Mel Gibson to the police who arrested him, as follows, is worth some comment:

Once inside the car, a source directly connected with the case says Gibson began banging himself against the seat. The report says Gibson told the deputy, "You mother f****r. I'm going to f*** you." The report also says Gibson almost continually [sic] threatened me saying he 'owns Malibu' and will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me. The report says Gibson then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: "F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

Such words do not casually fall out of someone's mouth when they are drunk.  He revealed what he really thinks in a highly belligerent manner. Why did he publicly call a press conference before the incident was reported to the world? Because he knew he was in trouble.

Making such remarks in Hollywood is a boundary that cannot be crossed by anyone who wants to continue working making movies in Hollywood. He put the kiss of death on his career. Smoochies, Mel. Your career is over.

Children Learn What They Live. By Dorothy Law Nolte, Ph.D.
If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 10:06:09 PM »

More thoughts on Mel.

If he had made his comments one month ago, he might have been able to escape the holocaust he is experiencing now. BUT with Iran saying for several months that Israel should be wiped off the face of the earth and that there was no holocaust, and with Hamas kidnapping a soldier, than Hezbollah kidnapping two soldiers and with a war to the death currently being waged in Israel, how in the world could Mel say "F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." That is not forgivable.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2006, 09:57:50 PM »

Interesting discussion here on Mel Gibson-some varying ideas and opinions.  I just wanted to add that just because Mel's Dad was a Holocaust Denier, doesn't mean Mel would be.  Please.  Think about this.  I can understand that sometimes children emulate their parents because of upbringing.  But there are some people, (myself included) that don't hold the same beliefs as my parents.  Far from it.  I am old enough to have my own thoughts and feelings and come to my own conclusions and I should be held accountable for my actions just as Mel should be.  And Mel has had an education, he has traveled and he has been around many different people and had opportunities to learn about others.  He is responsible for his own behavior at the age he is now.  Just because his Dad was a certain way doesn't mean Mel has to be, IMO.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2006, 10:34:16 PM »

Quote from: "MuffyBee"
Interesting discussion here on Mel Gibson-some varying ideas and opinions.  I just wanted to add that just because Mel's Dad was a Holocaust Denier, doesn't mean Mel would be.  Please.  Think about this.  I can understand that sometimes children emulate their parents because of upbringing.  But there are some people, (myself included) that don't hold the same beliefs as my parents.  Far from it.  I am old enough to have my own thoughts and feelings and come to my own conclusions and I should be held accountable for my actions just as Mel should be.  And Mel has had an education, he has traveled and he has been around many different people and had opportunities to learn about others.  He is responsible for his own behavior at the age he is now.  Just because his Dad was a certain way doesn't mean Mel has to be, IMO.

Yeah, I can go along with that.

Mel is definitely responsible for the anti-semitic remarks himself.

Don't know for sure where they came from.
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.