April 24, 2024, 01:40:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aphasia - Learning How to Get Better and Cope  (Read 8221 times)
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: December 01, 2011, 08:30:04 AM »

The National Aphasia Association
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Olivia,
We would like to share with you the message that we have  sent to ABC news and posted
to our Facebook page and to Gabrielle Giffords Facebook page.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In response to the flood of calls, texts, postings and emails we have received from
people in the aphasia community in the US and around the world, the National Aphasia
Association would like to offer information about this condition to the general
public in an effort to correct an error of omission in ABC's coverage of Congresswoman
Gabrielle Giffords' recovery.

First, we would like to express our heartfelt congratulations to Gabby for her recovery
so far and offer her, Mark Kelly and their family any ongoing support they might
need as they face the challenge of aphasia.

While ABC did an accurate and comprehensive job of explaining aphasia, the program
inexplicably never mentioned Gabby's condition by name. It is aphasia - the inability
to read, write, speak or communicate after a stroke or other sudden traumatic brain
injury, such as the one Gabby tragically experienced.

Many people with aphasia, their families, friends and caregivers, were very disappointed
and frustrated by this omission. Eagerly, they watched that special Monday night
edition of 20/20, hoping that finally, a greater awareness and understanding for
aphasia would be realized. The general public would finally hear the word aphasia
and begin to understand the condition. Unfortunately, the hour-long program never
used the word aphasia once, which added to the pain and frustration of the over
1 million people estimated to have aphasia.

It was only during the subsequent Nightline program hours later that night, when
Bob Woodruff used the word aphasia when he talked about his struggle with the condition
and his understanding and compassion for Gabby's difficult, but hopeful journey.

We urge ABC and other news media to use the word APHASIA when reporting on Gabby
Giffords and other people with the condition. This will help raise awareness and
understanding.

Too often, people with aphasia are mistaken for being mentally incapacitated or
being under the influence. This is not true. People with aphasia maintain their
intellect completely. They have a communication disorder that makes it difficult
for them to express themselves and understand language. It is estimated that there
are over 200,000 new cases of aphasia every year.

At the National Aphasia Association (a nonprofit organization), we offer free and
low-cost support for people with aphasia and their families including:

NAA Hotline (800-922-4622) helps over 4,000 families a year.

www.aphasia.org receives over 12,000 hits per month, helping an estimated 300,000
families a year.

NAA National Registry links to over 440 aphasia US support groups and 210 state
representatives.

Emergency Responders Training Program educates first responders how to recognize
aphasia and communicate with people who have the condition

Aphasia Friendly Business Program trains businesses and their employees how to interact
with customers who have aphasia.

The Aphasia Handbook: A Guide for Stroke and Brain Injury Survivors and Their Families

Aphasia can occur in people of all ages, nationalities, socio-economic backgrounds
and equally among men and women. Understanding, patience and a few commonsense strategies
will help family, friends, caregivers and the public communicate with people with
aphasia:

1)    Have the person's attention before you speak.

2)    Minimize or eliminate background noise (TV, radio, other people).

3)    Keep your own voice at a normal level.

4)    Keep communication simple, but adult.

5)    Give them time to speak, resist the urge to finish sentences or

offer words.

6)    Communicate with drawings, gestures, writing and facial

expressions.

7)    Confirm that you are communicating successfully with "yes" and

"no" questions.

Cool    Praise all attempts to speak and downplay any errors.

9)    Engage in normal activities whenever possible.

10) Encourage independence, avoid being overprotective.

For more information, media outlets and the public can contact the National Aphasia
Association at (800) 922-4622 or (212) 267-2814.

Best wishes to everyone in the aphasia community,

Ellayne S. Ganzfried, M.S., CCC-SLP

ASHA Fellow

Executive Director

Barbara C. Martin

President- Board of Directors

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:29:24 AM »

Thank you for posting this article about APHASIA, Sister.  My late father-in-law suffered a series of strokes in his latter years, and I can remember how he struggled with this condition.  He was a very intelligent, articulate man who always had something witty to say. He struggled with this, but kept working on it.  The last time I saw him before he passed on, I had taken my three month old son to visit.  Before I left the house, I was in the dining room with my son, and my father-in-law wanted to say something to me.  It took a while, but I worked out what he said.  He told me to never tell my son he couldn't go to the moon.  I have tears in my eyes thinking about it.  For him to have been able to put it all together to tell me that was amazing.  But I also I could understand the precious words he spoke because I truly "listened".  My fil died about two weeks later, but my son knows the words his grandfather spoke. 

Aphasia is a thief.  It steals ones words, it steals in so many other ways.  The more we are aware the more we can help.  This was an excellent article Sister. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 08:08:50 AM »

Thank you for posting this article about APHASIA, Sister.  My late father-in-law suffered a series of strokes in his latter years, and I can remember how he struggled with this condition.  He was a very intelligent, articulate man who always had something witty to say. He struggled with this, but kept working on it.  The last time I saw him before he passed on, I had taken my three month old son to visit.  Before I left the house, I was in the dining room with my son, and my father-in-law wanted to say something to me.  It took a while, but I worked out what he said.  He told me to never tell my son he couldn't go to the moon.  I have tears in my eyes thinking about it.  For him to have been able to put it all together to tell me that was amazing.  But I also I could understand the precious words he spoke because I truly "listened".  My fil died about two weeks later, but my son knows the words his grandfather spoke. 

Aphasia is a thief.  It steals ones words, it steals in so many other ways.  The more we are aware the more we can help.  This was an excellent article Sister. 
So true MuffyBee - aphasia is a thief in so many ways.  My sister Connie suffers from it and it is agonizing to watch her try and get the words in her head to come out of her mouth.  Sometimes she just breaks down and says, "it's too much, too much, too much."  My heart breaks with hers.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 03:43:33 PM »

http://www.northwesternevents.com/profile/web/index.cfm?PKWebId=0x3345ae05

Welcome to the registration website for the

Frontotemporal Degeneration and Primary Progressive Aphasia  Family Caregiver & Professional Education and Support Conference

Saturday, March 24, 2012

7:30 AM - 5:00 PM

In collaboration with the Association for Frontotemporal Degeneration and
the National Aphasia Association.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 12:12:42 PM »

Happy
National Aphasia Awareness
Month!

Dear Olivia,
First, we would like to wish you a very Happy Aphasia Awareness Month!  It's hard
to believe that the National Aphasia Association is celebrating it's 25th Anniversary,
as well as 9 years of officially celebrating June as National Aphasia Awareness
Month.  Our deepest appreciation and gratitude goes out to all of the persons living
with aphasia, family members, friends, caregivers and professionals that have supported
us throughout the years.  We hope that we will continue to be of service for many
more to come!
This year's National Aphasia Awareness Month theme, which was chosen by our host
group, The Aphasia Center of California, is "The Power of Aphasia Groups: The Equation
for Living Successfully with Aphasia."  We would love to hear how you will be celebrating
- whether it's by yourself or with a group of people!  For some ideas on what you
can do, and for more information about how you can pass an Aphasia Awareness Month
Proclamation in your city or state, please visit this year's webpage: www.aphasia.org/Awareness_Events_2012.html
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0018WR0KSJwDBYOHV0ollwfeoGSVpfPeJcvwOS3I5cqpuUboSGxfkaLLiNH-EApyAhrmbM7FY2DGGh-_MDuRlcYyULTulaAwKbJwMR8F-2L7T6tuG9gY8R2FI8wWvSGLiungOGRON8fjTRmozFPVG-iag==].
Also, if you would like to receive an Aphasia Awareness Month packet, please respond
to this email.
While we are discussing fun events, we would like to announce that our next Regional
Speaking Out! Conference will be held on July 28th, 2012 in Pittsburgh, PA.  We
are excited to co-sponsor this conference for people with aphasia, family members,
and professionals with the VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System's GRECC Program, and
the University of Pittsburgh's Dept of Communication Sciences & Disorders.  For
more information about this one day event, please visit www.aphasia.org/RegionalConferencePittsburgh.html

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 02:53:16 PM »

Dear Olivia,
We need your help with getting National Aphasia Awareness Month recognized and proclaimed
in the House of Representatives!  Contact your representative TODAY and ask them
to co-sponsor H. Res. 674.  You may use the template below for emails or letters,
or as a guide if you decide to call.  Not sure who your representative is?  Go to
this website to find out: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/ [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001dHufP6Bvi8BrKYSzRo33Q76NedS1Oy35okAF_I7AKpO3_udNa4BWLlv-Epx1-QFjbteZkhcqLX-b8PNq0ygxZgnyvfGIFfE1NXfL4G7jKD2hRsffq538Pn955dhWYeQ5t6bfyDOFfRVvOmBubheZ5g==].
Thank you in advance for assisting us in getting the word out about aphasia!

Sample Letter to Representative

Hello,

My name is _____ and I am a constituent in your district. I am calling contacting
you because I would like to ask my Congressman/woman to cosponsor H. Res. 674. This
bipartisan bill is cosponsored by Congressman Markey and Congressman Gingrey, and
it would name June 2012 as National Aphasia Awareness Month. Aphasia is a communication
disorder caused by brain damage resulting from a stroke, brain tumor, or brain injury.
It impairs a person's ability to speak, read, or write. More than 200,000 people
develop Aphasia each year -  there are currently 1 million Americans living with
Aphasia. H. Res 674 will help raise awareness about this disorder so that we can
create better paths to care for patients and support their caretakers at home.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. [OPTIONAL: I would like to leave my
name and contact information so that my Congressman/woman can reply to me on this
matter.]

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 04:25:15 AM »

National
Aphasia Awareness
Month

THANK YOU!
We would like to extend a big thank you to all of our wonderful supporters who contacted
your representatives to get a National Aphasia Awareness Month proclamation Resolution
passed.  Your efforts paid off, and June 2012 has been proclaimed National Aphasia
Awareness Month!  Give yourselves a pat on a back!  Below are links to the Bill
Summary in the Library of Congress and a PDF document of the wording of the Resolution.
We would also like to send a special note of thanks to Sen. Tim Johnson (D, SD),
Sen. Mark Kirk (R, IL) Rep. Ed Markey (D, MA)  for their efforts in getting the
Resolution passed.
Click here for Bill Summary [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001jpolRIoE3t4ugy-_fwfkwxkp1WaE37Aakurv82Mocsr7z8yjGUaDYJs67j2dP89T8d9_H6Z-ZmrSJ7_CKlfTlWocBKlX39kYo4jOQH43gYh-MiInrjUaHjvO1whLRyoYdQvs8_3LK4HNKmkgBtq0DeUsjjyiJuey7lnV4TT3tyc=]

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.