April 26, 2024, 04:54:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jorelys Rivera, 7 yrs old, msg 12/2/11, Canton, GA(Body Found)  (Read 62490 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2011, 09:21:02 AM »

http://canton.11alive.com/photo-gallery/93102-timeline-murder-jorelys-rivera
TIMELINE: The murder of Jorelys Rivera

Submitted by Michael H. King, Digital Executive Producer
December 5, 2011

Photo-gallery -13 photos at above link.

Picture number six taken early Saturday morning, I count at least 22 investigators standing around, many of them drinking coffee.  I wonder if Jorelys was still alive inside one of those apts at that time? 

What's wrong with a door to door search within hours of the abduction, or sooner if possible?

Then I believe image number ten is taken later that evening
and again, countless investigators standing around the command post.  What are they waiting for?  Go find the child.

With all due respect, in regard to the picture taken early Saturday morning, where you count at least 22 investigators "standing around, many of them drinking coffee": It's a snap shot in time.   We don't know how many of them had already taken part in the searching and questioning from  night before.
We can't tell how far some of them may have travelled to reach that point. Some may be volunteers or are volunteering their time after work. They may be coming in from other departments or cities. We can't tell  how many of them are working an over lapping shift of the night before.   The picture I see is law enforcement gathering at a staging area. They meet before, during and after searches to coordinate.   And yes, coffee is a big part of some officers lives.  They drink it to keep going.  Many drink water and gatorade too.  I can't see what's in the cups.   There might even be a donut or two available. (sarcasm)   As far as doing a door to door search, did you know LE just can't go to a door and "search"?  Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong and it can be really easy to armchair quarterback what they should be doing.  Neither of us were privy to what information LE may have had at the time the pics were taken.  As far as the other picture you've taken which appears to be night time. We don't know if the same people are there or not, if they're a different shift.  We can't see if they've already been searching and are gathering to discuss it so far and to discuss the next step.  They aren't home in front of the tv, though, are they?  We can't see those that were on the phones and computers searching for information, we can't see when officers and even probation officers were doing door to door.  I'll wager a number of the men and women in the two photos have children or nieces/nephews and etc.  and a missing child is serious to them.  You said "go find the child".  The two photos only show a small part of the search. Searchers have to have some idea where to search, which is based on intelligence.  It's just hard for me to fault the searchers or LE because the gathered in the two photos early Saturday morning and later Saturday night and they might have been drinking coffee. To you it may show people standing around drinking coffee and not searching.  To me, it shows a coordinated staging area, with a lot of people showing up to search or that have been searching.  JMHO  And it upsets me too that another child has been taken and murdered.   

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/215763/8/CANTON--Police-looking-for-missing-7-year-old-girl
CANTON | Police fear missing 7-year-old was abducted
"We have probation officers and deputies speaking with the local sex offenders in the area to rule all of them out," Det. Worthy said. "We are also working with the school system and the family to learn more about the child's friends."

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/215763/40/CANTON--Mother-speaks-about-missing-7-year-old-daughter
Authorities searched with canines and helicopters Saturday, and went door-to-door.
They've been working around the clock, going door-to-door, interviewing people and stopping cars at road blocks around the area.[/quote]

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2011, 09:54:30 AM »

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Body-of-girl-found-in-trash-container-in-Ga-2347445.php
Autopsy results expected in missing Ga. girl case
December 6, 2011

CANTON, Ga. (AP) — Autopsy results will be released Tuesday after authorities in Georgia found a body in a trash container believed to be that of a missing 7-year-old girl.

Georgia Bureau of Investigation spokesman John Bankhead says a briefing is planned for 10:30 a.m.
 ::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2011, 09:58:32 AM »

http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-atlanta/jorelys-rivera-s-autopsy-by-gbi-clues-to-a-killer
Jorelys Rivera’s autopsy by GBI: Clues to a killer
December 6, 2011

Late Monday Georgia’s Bureau of Investigation agency planned to conduct an autopsy to confirm the body was that of Jorelys Rivera, as well as to determine exact cause of death, per First Coast News.

That autopsy was slated to take place at the GBI crime lab headquarters in Decatur, where the agency is staffed with as many as eight medical examiners and 10 investigators who could perform the procedure. However, the GBI’s Chief Medical Examiner, Dr. Kris Sperry, who is also the Chief Medical Examiner for the state of Georgia and direct supervisor for the GBI’s other medical examiners, may choose to lead the autopsy for such a high profile and sensitive case.

An autopsy is a very graphic procedure to watch and this is especially true of child victims, however, the performance of an autopsy is one last opportunity for the victim of a violent crime to give investigators and the medical examiner important clues to their cause of death. Typically, any autospy involving a homicide is often witnessed by the detectives investigating the case.

At present, Jorelys Rivera’s killer is unknown and GBI Director Vernon Keenan has stated that they have no “strong suspect” in the case, according to First Coast News.
The autopsy findings will not be released in their entirety during the press conference by the GBI slated to begin at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow in Cherokee County. However, police will share enough information to aid the investigation in moving forward. Their goal will be to use the autopsy findings to apprehend a killer who is still moving about freely -- and to put the public’s mind at ease if they feel this was a murder motivated by reasons that do not threaten the rest of society.

References: GBI, First Coast News

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2011, 10:04:46 AM »

http://www.ajc.com/news/cherokee/autopsy-results-due-today-1252353.html
Autopsy results due today on Canton girl
December 6, 2011

On the fourth day of the search for Jorelys, a 50-member team made up of GBI agents, Georgia State Patrol troopers, Department of Natural Resources rangers and other state officers specially trained in child abductions was brought in Monday to assist local police and firefighters. Police said they believed they were working a child abduction case.

Searchers combed the apartment complex, checking every vehicle and some apartments for any clues to the girl's whereabouts. The parking lot of a nearby movie theater served as the command center for search efforts, which included a state patrol helicopter Monday.

But just hours after state and national search crews began to look for the girl, the massive effort ended with Keenan's announcement. The girl's body was found around 12:30 p.m., he said.
Canton police launched a search for the girl late Friday, releasing pictures and a description of the Canton Elementary School first-grader. Police officers knocked on doors at the complex and interviewed registered sex offenders in the area Saturday, Worthy said.

"Everybody came together in the cold, at all hours of the night to look for her," David Lott, a resident of the complex, told the AJC Monday night.
Police had been searching the apartment complex throughout the weekend, but the trash bin where the body was found was not searched until Monday due to the amount of items it contained, Keenan said. The search area was about a 1-mile radius from the complex and included another nearby complex, police said.

Investigators moved the compacted trash bin across Reinhardt Parkway and to an open area, where they removed the contents and found the girl's body. Keenan declined to say the proximity of the trash bin to the location where Jorelys was last seen. But residents in the complex pointed out the trash bin, located a short walk from the playground.
Monday afternoon, investigators remained at the apartment complex, which was the focus of the search from the beginning, Keenan said.

Video at link

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2011, 10:13:10 AM »

http://sandysprings.patch.com/articles/view-from-a-cop-hard-facts-on-child-abductions-after-jorelys-rivera

View from a Cop: Hard Facts on Child Abductions After Jorelys Rivera
Sandy Springs Police Lt. Steve Rose provides information on what parents can do to keep children safe.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2011, 11:02:26 AM »

December 5, 2011

Picture number six taken early Saturday morning, I count at least 22 investigators standing around, many of them drinking coffee.  I wonder if Jorelys was still alive inside one of those apts at that time? 

What's wrong with a door to door search within hours of the abduction, or sooner if possible?

and again, countless investigators standing around the command post.  What are they waiting for?  Go find the child.

With all due respect, in regard to the picture taken early Saturday morning, where you count at least 22 investigators "standing around, many of them drinking coffee": It's a snap shot in time.   We don't know how many of them had already taken part in the searching and questioning from  night before.
We can't tell how far some of them may have travelled to reach that point. Some may be volunteers or are volunteering their time after work. They may be coming in from other departments or cities. We can't tell  how many of them are working an over lapping shift of the night before.   The picture I see is law enforcement gathering at a staging area. They meet before, during and after searches to coordinate.   And yes, coffee is a big part of some officers lives.  They drink it to keep going.  Many drink water and gatorade too.  I can't see what's in the cups.   There might even be a donut or two available. (sarcasm)   As far as doing a door to door search, did you know LE just can't go to a door and "search"?  Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong and it can be really easy to armchair quarterback what they should be doing.  Neither of us were privy to what information LE may have had at the time the pics were taken.  As far as the other picture you've taken which appears to be night time. We don't know if the same people are there or not, if they're a different shift.  We can't see if they've already been searching and are gathering to discuss it so far and to discuss the next step.  They aren't home in front of the tv, though, are they?  We can't see those that were on the phones and computers searching for information, we can't see when officers and even probation officers were doing door to door.  I'll wager a number of the men and women in the two photos have children or nieces/nephews and etc.  and a missing child is serious to them.  You said "go find the child".  The two photos only show a small part of the search. Searchers have to have some idea where to search, which is based on intelligence.  It's just hard for me to fault the searchers or LE because the gathered in the two photos early Saturday morning and later Saturday night and they might have been drinking coffee. To you it may show people standing around drinking coffee and not searching.  To me, it shows a coordinated staging area, with a lot of people showing up to search or that have been searching.  JMHO  And it upsets me too that another child has been taken and murdered.   

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/215763/8/CANTON--Police-looking-for-missing-7-year-old-girl
"We have probation officers and deputies speaking with the local sex offenders in the area to rule all of them out," Det. Worthy said. "We are also working with the school system and the family to learn more about the child's friends."

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/215763/40/CANTON--Mother-speaks-about-missing-7-year-old-daughter
Authorities searched with canines and helicopters Saturday, and went door-to-door.
They've been working around the clock, going door-to-door, interviewing people and stopping cars at road blocks around the area.

[/quote]

Muffy, I can appreciate everything you've said, except the doughnut part.  I'm not knocking the need to meet and share intelligence, or even the need for coffee.  I stand by what I've said, though, having just read an article about a 18 year old girl who was molested by family members and prostitued out by them in her early teens.  She got away from them and went to police on two occasions.  LE turned her away twice.

She wound up taking her own life.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Tweets-before-suicide-point-to-teen-s-sexual-abuse-2262170.php

You're right.  They don't always get it right.  I understand their own hands are tied many times by laws that are in place to proctect the innocent until proven guilty and the search and siezure laws.  My son is on track to enter LE within the military and my father is retired LE.  He will tell you society has taken a turn for the worse in actions and frequency, and he will tell you the police training and laws have not kept up.  As a society we've become more focused on terrorists and boogeymen than on protecting our own children when there is a much greater chance of our children being killed by a pedo next door than by a muslim bomb carrier (not that there isn't a legitimate threat from terrorists, I know there is). 

You've shed light on the possibilities of what the officers were probably doing, thank you for that.  Still, if we don't reveiw our systems and try to get better at what we do, we will simply never get better.  My point was not to attack the officers but the systems in place when crimes against children occur.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2011, 11:21:38 AM »

December 5, 2011

They've been working around the clock, going door-to-door, interviewing people and stopping cars at road blocks around the area.

Muffy, I can appreciate everything you've said, except the doughnut part.  I'm not knocking the need to meet and share intelligence, or even the need for coffee.  I stand by what I've said, though, having just read an article about a 18 year old girl who was molested by family members and prostitued out by them in her early teens.  She got away from them and went to police on two occasions.  LE turned her away twice.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Tweets-before-suicide-point-to-teen-s-sexual-abuse-2262170.php

You're right.  They don't always get it right.  I understand their own hands are tied many times by laws that are in place to proctect the innocent until proven guilty and the search and siezure laws.  My son is on track to enter LE within the military and my father is retired LE.  He will tell you society has taken a turn for the worse in actions and frequency, and he will tell you the police training and laws have not kept up.  As a society we've become more focused on terrorists and boogeymen than on protecting our own children when there is a much greater chance of our children being killed by a pedo next door than by a muslim bomb carrier (not that there isn't a legitimate threat from terrorists, I know there is). 

You've shed light on the possibilities of what the officers were probably doing, thank you for that.  Still, if we don't reveiw our systems and try to get better at what we do, we will simply never get better.  My point was not to attack the officers but the systems in place when crimes against children occur.

[/quote]

I'm not going to comment further.

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2011, 11:23:52 AM »

CANTON, Ga. — A missing Georgia girl whose body was found in a trash container was beaten, stabbed and sexually assaulted, autopsy results show.

Georgia Bureau of Investigation Director Vernon Keenan released the autopsy results at a news conference Tuesday morning in the north Georgia town of Canton, where 7-year-old Jorelys Rivera's body had been found.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/db23e9407e28424caf2847ee3832028f/GA--Missing-Girl-Georgia/
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2011, 11:26:09 AM »

Autopsy: Jorelys Rivera killed shortly after disappearance

CANTON, Ga. -- Preliminary autopsy results suggest Jorelys Rivera was killed within 1.5 hours of her disappearance last Friday

In a news conference Tuesday morning, GBI Director Vernon Keenan said Monday's autopsy shows Jorelys died of blunt force trauma to her head. She was also stabbed and sexually assaulted.

Jorelys was last seen at about 5 p.m. Friday at a playground in the River Ridge Apartments. Canton Police Detective Candy Worthy said Jorelys had gone back to her apartment to get a drink. 
She never came back.

While investigators are still working on the timeline surrounding Jorelys' death, they now believe she was abducted near the playground and taken to a vacant apartment, where she was assaulted and murdered.

Keenan said DNA evidence, including what to appeared to be blood, was collected from the complex and sent to the GBI Crime Lab for testing. Results could be out later Tuesday.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/215763/3/Autopsy-Jorelys-Rivera-killed-shortly-after-disappearance
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2011, 11:27:24 AM »

GBI Director Keenan's Monday news conference

http://www.11alive.com/video/1310989677001/50317397001/RAW-VIDEO--Body-of-Missing-7-year-old-Jorelys-Rivera-found-in-dumpster
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2011, 11:31:05 AM »

Canton girl died of trauma, stabbing, GBI says

A 7-year-old Canton girl whose body was discovered Monday died of blunt force trauma to the head and stab wounds, the GBI said Tuesday. Jorelys Rivera had also been sexually assaulted, GBI Director Vernon Keenan said at a press conference in Canton.

Keenan also said investigators found what they believe to be blood in a vacant apartment unit, and that substance is being tested at the State Crime Lab to determine if it is linked to Jorelys. Keenan said investigators believe Jorelys was killed within two hours of her disappearance Friday.

As of Tuesday morning, police do not have any suspects or anyone in custody, Keenan said. But the investigation is now focused on the River Ridge complex where Jorelys lived and may have been killed.

"We believe the suspect lives or has readily access to the complex," Keenan told the AJC.

There are several registered sex offenders that live in the vicinity of the apartment complex, but investigators have extensively interviewed all of them, Keenan said.

"We don't have any reason to believe any of them were involved," he said.

http://www.ajc.com/news/cherokee/canton-girl-died-of-1252353.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2011, 11:35:48 AM »

Autopsy: Missing girl beaten, stabbed, rape

“The abduction occurred at the apartment complex. We also believe the murder occurred at the apartment complex. Evidence, thus far, points to that,” Keenan said.

Keenan said the girl was killed in a vacant apartment of the complex. He said there are several sex offenders in the area, but they have been ruled out as suspects. The 65 investigators working the case have conducted several hundred interviews and re-interviewed people several times.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/slain-girls-autopsy-results-be-released/nFt4Y/
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2011, 12:35:14 PM »

Jorelys Rivera Stabbed, Assaulted in 'Calculated' Murder

Jorelys Rivera, the 7-year-old girl whose body was found in a Georgia dumpster, was bludgeoned, sexually assaulted and stabbed in a remarkably vicious attack by a killer who police believe lives in her apartment complex.

The wounds to the girl's body were so severe that Georgia Bureau of Investigation Director Vernon Keenan refused to describe them beyond that fact that she had blunt force trauma to the head and stab wounds.

Keenan described the crime as a "very horrific and brutal murder."

"We don't know if the child was targeted or not. We do know from what was determined through the autopsy and other evidence this was a very calculated and planned crime," Keenan said.

Police believe the murderer is still nearby.

"We have found evidence in [the vacant apartment] we believe is blood," said Keenan. "We are awaiting results of the investigation. The lab worked all night long."

Preliminary DNA test results are expected to be released today.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jorelys-rivera-stabbed-assaulted-calculated-murder/story?id=15095190
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2011, 12:39:13 PM »

Police believe Ga. girl killed in vacant apartment

"Investigators feel very strongly that the killer of the child resides in the apartment complex or has regular access to the apartment complex," Keenan said. "So our efforts at this point are concentrated in that area."

No suspects are in custody. Investigators say they're continuing to pursue leads, and a $15,000 reward has been issued.

Keenan also said that evidence collected from the child's body and the apartment are being tested. He said they hoped to have preliminary DNA results by later Tuesday.

Authorities are receiving numerous calls from residents at the apartment complex, Cherokee County sheriff's Lt. Jay Baker said Tuesday.

"We're following up on every single tip," he said.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2011/12/06/1847178/autopsy-results-to-be-released.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2011, 12:41:48 PM »

Share this on:Facebook Twitter Digg delicious reddit MySpace StumbleUpon LinkedIn 7-year-old Georgia girl died of head trauma, stabbing, investigators say

"We have multiple leads we feel are valuable and we're going to carry those out," he said.

The girl's parents are not suspects, Keenan said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/06/justice/georgia-slain-girl/index.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »

Jorelys Rivera died of blunt force trauma to head

Jorelys was last seen leaving a playground area at the apartment complex Friday evening. After the attacks, which Keenan said oc-curred inside the vacant unit, her body was disposed of inside a Dumpster, which includes a trash compactor. Investigators found her body in the large metal trash bin Monday, the GBI director said.

Keenan said the state medical examiner put the time of death at about 60 to 90 minutes after Jorelys was abducted.

Keenan would not go into details of the extent of the injuries Jorelys suffered in the moments leading up to the death, but added the autopsy and other evidence collected suggests “that this was a very calculated and planned crime” and “a very horrific and brutal mur-der.”

Keenan said the crime happened at an unlocked vacant apartment unit adjacent to where Jorelys resided with her family.

http://cherokeetribune.com/bookmark/16666613-Jorelys-Rivera-died-of-blunt-florce-trauma-to-head
Read more: Cherokee Tribune - Jorelys Rivera died of blunt florce trauma to head
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2011, 12:48:25 PM »

While investigators had searched other dumpsters there over the weekend, the contents of the dumpster where her body was found were compacted and could not be searched until the owner of the dumpster moved it to another location. Investigators found Jorelys' body while sifting through the dumpster's contents in an open field off Reinhardt College Parkway.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/article/202447/175/Autopsy-Georgia-7-year-Old-Killed-Shortly-After-Disappearance
sunshine12
Monkey Junky

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2011, 01:15:15 PM »

i wonder if maybe it was a maintenance worker
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2011, 02:01:24 PM »

Comments:

Posted by SCAREDMOTHEROF1 at 1:35 p.m. December 6, 2011
This has scared me more than words can express. We currently live there. Today, I am submitting my letter to terminate my lease. They believe this was a resident or someone who had ready access to this facility. I have lived her now for several months. The gate code has never been changed. The gate is left open for several hours at different times during the day and as long as there is a car to tailgate the one in front of them, the gate will remain open. I have witnessed as many as 6 and 7 cars go through with only one person putting in a code. They supposedly do background checks and if that is so, why is there a sex offender, who served 10 years, released from prison in May 2010, living just one buildingover from mine??? What does it take to disqualify you from living there and what then is the point for the background check in the first place. My heart is broken for this child and her family, but even more so because there was no one there to do anything to stop it. I know they fell violated as does the rest of the community, I can no longer reside there knowing that just anyone can live there obviously and there is nothing in place to prevent these things from happening, The apartment complex has done nothing to address any of the residents no letters, nothing. It is such an unthinkable, disgusting and outrageous tragedy. I won't even allow my child to sleep in her room alone now. The sooner we can get out the better. I just can't believe it and I pray they find who did this and get justice for this poor little girl.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/slain-girls-autopsy-results-be-released/nFt4Y/#comments
darla
Monkey Junky

In Honor of my son Lt. Brandon W. Rollins LCSO.

« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2011, 02:33:11 PM »

December 5, 2011

I'm not going to comment further.

Thank you so very much Miss Muffy. I must tell my LE son that he needs to change and do a better job. But think I might wait til all the bullets holes he has on his body heal that a 19 yr old punk put in him a few weeks ago while he was on a supper break. I am sure the two families eating in the restaurant ,that he got under tables for protection, they are all safe by the way , wish he had done more for them. God Bless all LE officers and God Bless our Military.
[/quote]

You will never know that Faith in prayer is all you need,
until it is all you have left!
God Bless!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.