April 26, 2024, 02:58:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trip To San Francisco  (Read 5539 times)
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: June 22, 2007, 07:57:24 PM »

Monkeys - I am going to a training in San Francisco in the not to distant future. The farthest west I've ever traveled is Oklahoma, and I am VERY excited about this trip.

My coworker and I won't have a huge amount of time for sightseeing, so I'd like to be sure we fit in the best things while we are there. We'll be staying at the Holiday Inn on Fisherman's Wharf, so we should be near quite a lot of things. The first day we should be checked into the hotel by around 3:00 p.m. The second day we'll be out of training at 5:00 pm, the third day at 4:00 pm, and the final day at 3:00 pm.

Please tell me what we should see and do during our free time.

Thanks very much for any help!  Very Happy

I Stand With The Girl
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 09:00:59 PM »

BT...when I have limited time, I usually take a bus tour....so that I can see more...and see those things I would like to return to the next day or so....try to get a good one with drivers who give you the history, etc.
Your hotel may have one that picks up in front.  Seems a couple of hours would be enough.

There is so much to see in SF and in the area...good luck...!

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 09:39:56 PM »

Quote from: "MeMere"
BT...when I have limited time, I usually take a bus tour....so that I can see more...and see those things I would like to return to the next day or so....try to get a good one with drivers who give you the history, etc.
Your hotel may have one that picks up in front.  Seems a couple of hours would be enough.

There is so much to see in SF and in the area...good luck...!

I agree. We lived for a while in the Bay Area, but when someone came to visit, the best way to hit all the main sites was the Gray Line tour. (I think that is what it was called)

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 09:58:09 PM »

Gray Line..as I recall, took you on the crookedist street, to ghiradelli choc factory, views of alcatraz, china town, the yaght club area and some of the famous homes, and fishermans wharf.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 10:00:22 PM »

http://sanfranciscosightseeing.com/

I lived in the Bay Area twice, a trip into that city never failed to amaze me. We cried when we moved. You will love it and want to go back.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 10:06:25 PM »

Quote from: Shell
Gray Line..as I recall, took you on the crookedist street, to ghiradelli choc factory, views of alcatraz, china town, the yaght club area and some of the famous homes, and fishermans wharf.[/quote

Sold!!!  BT will be on the bus in a flash when she reads about the Chocky factory  Laughing  Laughing

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 10:31:36 PM »

I believe the area is called Twin Peaks. You drive up there and can see over the whole city! I left my heart there, more ways than one!! Laughing  Laughing

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 12:21:43 AM »

Walking shoes! The Greyline Tours are how I first saw SF in the 50's and would do it that way again.
http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/neighborhoods

Trying to remember my favorite places:
China Town and a tour of culture there and making of fortune cookies.
Palace of Fine Arts Love this place!!! and the park around it in the Mission District... Mission District was filled in by all the ruble of the 1906 earthquake. There's a great Science Museum nearby too.
Fairmont (mount) Hotel fantastic old SF decorated hotel... great history pictures of SF on walls.. Fun to just sit in the lobby and pretend you are rich. Big famous home across the street.. can't remember whose.
Veteran's Memorial Building at 401 Van Ness.. a must.. one of the best most beautiful buildings ever inside and out!!!! a must.
Do not walk through the Tenderloin District ever (a little west of Powell to Van Ness) Market and about 5 blocks north.

South of Market is mostly multimedia co and galleries. Funky.

Do take a boat trip that goes underneath the Golden Gate Bridge
and past that prison there on the island.

Nob Hill, Lombard street (crocked one)

Union Square used to be known for shopping and then there's "The Top of the Mark" at the hotel there.  

http://www.travelgrande.com/san-francisco-travel-guide/herbst-theatre-veterans-buildings-info.htm

Veterans Building
Address: 401 Van Ness Ave.

The stately Veterans Building is an exact replica of the Opera House next door, at least on the outside. This vast structure was designed by renowned architect Arthur Brown, Jr., and built in 1932. The building was proposed by the American Legion to "dedicate a performing arts complex to the Great War (WWI) as a living memorial." The building was dedicated on Armistice Day, Nov. 11, 1932. The Veterans Building houses a number of veterans organizations from different wars, troops, and services. Many important events, civic ceremonies, performances and gatherings have taken place at "The Veterans" including ground breaking speeches commemorating the founding of the United Nations in 1945. Quite a few city agencies have offices within the Veterans Building. The gallery exhibits contemporary art by emerging and mid-career artists from the Bay Area.
Herbst Theatre-veterans Buildings:
Address: 401 Van Ness Avenue
Phone: (415) 392-4400
   periodic talks with contemporary authors such as Tom Wolfe and Stephen King. Tours of the Herbst Theater, the Opera House, and Davies Symphony Hall are offered Mondays between 10:00 and 2:00. It costs $5 for adults. This tour begins ON the hour at Davies Symphony Hall. Call (415) 552-8338 for more details. (I copied this and the info might be old)

Top of the Mark: This landmark bar is the quintessential special-occasion spot: whether you've just popped the question, sold your first novel or are otherwise on top of the world, its panoramic views make you feel like you own the city. Try a signature cocktail such as the Golden Gate or the Alcatraz, take a spin on the mahogany dance floor or indulge in a prix fixe dinner on Fridays and Saturdays, or champagne brunch on Sunday. Located on the top floor of the Mark Hopkins Inter-Continental Hotel, 999 California St., (415) 392-3434. (Web site)

http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/neighborhoods/pacheights.shtml

Lombard Street: Known as "the world's crookedest street," Lombard winds past ornate houses (one of which was home to the San Francisco edition of "The Real World") and lush, flowering bushes. Between Hyde and Leavenworth streets.

Boats
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1998/07/12/PK15057.DTL&type=travel

Palace of Fine Arts,

San Francisco Arts Commission Gallery:
Address: 401 Van Ness Ave.
Phone: (415) 554-6080
The stately Veterans Building is an exact replica of the Opera House next door, at least on the outside. This vast structure was designed by renowned architect Arthur Brown, Jr., and built in 1932. The building was proposed by the American Legion to "dedicate a performing arts complex to the Great War (WWI) as a living memorial." The building was dedicated on Armistice Day, Nov. 11, 1932. The Veterans Building houses a number of veterans organizations from different wars, troops, and services. Many important events, civic ceremonies, performances and gatherings have taken place at "The Veterans" including ground breaking speeches commemorating the founding of the United Nations in 1945. Quite a few city agencies have offices within the Veterans Building. The galery exhibits contemporary art by emerging and mid-career artists from the Bay Area.
Herbst Theatre-veterans Buildings:
Address: 401 Van Ness Avenue
Phone: (415) 392-4400

There are also occasional student theatrical events, magic shows, and even religious services presented in the Herbst Theater. The most widely known, continuing cultural "event" inside the theater is the City Arts and Lectures series, which offers periodic talks with contemporary authors such as Tom Wolfe and Stephen King. Tours of the Herbst Theater, the Opera House, and Davies Symphony Hall are offered Mondays between 10:00 and 2:00. It costs $5 for adults. This tour begins ON the hour at Davies Symphony Hall. Call (415) 552-8338 for more details.

Top of the Mark: This landmark bar is the quintessential special-occasion spot: whether you've just popped the question, sold your first novel or are otherwise on top of the world, its panoramic views make you feel like you own the city. Try a signature cocktail such as the Golden Gate or the Alcatraz, take a spin on the mahogany dance floor or indulge in a prix fixe dinner on Fridays and Saturdays, or champagne brunch on Sunday. Located on the top floor of the Mark Hopkins Inter-Continental Hotel, 999 California St., (415) 392-3434. (Web site)

http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/neighborhoods/pacheights.shtml

Lombard Street: Known as "the world's crookedest street," Lombard winds past ornate houses (one of which was home to the San Francisco edition of "The Real World") and lush, flowering bushes. Between Hyde and Leavenworth streets.

Boats
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1998/07/12/PK15057.DTL&type=travel

Palace of Fine Arts,

Your local AAA should have the info about the boat rides under the Golden Gate Bridge!! I really, really liked that.

My "tour" of SF was in 1994 when I fell in love with US Raven (Viet Nam War)and former-SF policeman. I still can't believe he convinced me to ride all over SF on the back of his motorcycle!! Went to the Apple Convention and fell in love! but those 5+++ car drives from LA to SF were long!

Carry a jacket.. temp. can change fast and a little fold up plastic rain hat! Riding the trolley cars from one end of Powell Street (just south of Union Square) to the north end of the city and back is fun. I just loved to ride them. You can "eye explore" and not even get off them. The ones going east and west are cool too.

IMO Fisherman's Wharf is over touristed (is that a word)

Oh the area of all the mansions... forgot where and then those houses you see in Mrs. Doubtfire (?) I am sure the Greyline tour goes there!! Sometimes the tours include a meal in China Town.

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 12:30:36 AM »

oops meant "crooked" street not "crocked". Talking about "crocked" there's a restaurant/bar on the Coast HWY where you can see the seals, the old SF baths,  and where they had the big guns

Riding the subway is fun... but I get scared of closed spaces.

There's a building of Victorian glass in the large park... can't remember what it is.. seem to remember plants etc.

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 08:30:36 AM »

Quote from: "IBE"
oops meant "crooked" street not "crocked". Talking about "crocked" there's a restaurant/bar on the Coast HWY where you can see the seals, the old SF baths,  and where they had the big guns

Riding the subway is fun... but I get scared of closed spaces.

There's a building of Victorian glass in the large park... can't remember what it is.. seem to remember plants etc.

Laughing  Laughing

Crooked Street = Lombardi

Restaurant on Coast Hiway -- The Cliff House (by the Seal rocks)
GREAT WEEKEND BRUNCH!

I lived in San Francisco in the 80's.

I'm sure much has changed, so I don't want to provide sightseeing tips Very Happy And I don't know what your interests ae -- there's a lot to see and do in the area

BT -- it is a GREAT city to see on foot.

Also, the public transportation is the best I've ever lived with. Check it out before you go. You used to be able to dial a specific phone number and say' I'm on the corner of X and Y and I'm trying to go to ABC' and they tell you exactly what bus to take, where to connect, etc. And BART is terrific as well.

The SF zoo used to be awesome.

McArthurs park is typical -- but I always wanted to see where the 'cake was left out in the rain' (old song if I've lost anyone here).

Heading north over the Golden Gate -- Tiburon is a fun way to spend the day. The Napa Valley is breathtaking.

Heading east over the SF bridge -- takes you over to Berkeley (and the university) and Oakland.

We're actually thinking of spending a week there in August. DH has never been. And I've never really wanted to take a vacation there -- sinceI used to live there. But it is fun and chock full of interesting thing to do.

Have tons of fun.  Cool

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 03:06:02 PM »

Thanks so much to all of you! I really appreciate all the suggestions.  Very Happy

I didn't even know there was supposed to be a zoo. I've read a couple of internet sites on San Francisco, but hadn't come across one about the zoo yet. I've also seen mention a couple of time of an aquarium, so I need to check that out as well.

The Grayline tour sounds like a wonderful suggestion. I've also read about a vampire tour that takes place on Friday nights and visits some of the older victorian buildings in the city. I will be there on a Friday night, so I'm thinking of checking that out as well.

Thanks again, and I appreciate any more suggestions anyone has. I can hardly wait! As my co-worker Donna says, it's a shame our sightseeing has to be interrupted by that silly training!  Laughing

I Stand With The Girl
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 09:30:12 PM »

For anyone who might know this, I have a specific question.

I would like to go to places like the zoo, for which I will have to catch a train. There are also some other places that I would need to ride the train to as well. I'll be staying on Fisherman's Wharf but would like to get around to as much of the city as I can during the limited time I have there. So, here is my question:

Would it be better to buy a pass that will let me access both buses and trains, or one for just the trains alone?

Thanks for any advice.

I Stand With The Girl
IBE
Monkey Junky

IMO
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 09:54:39 PM »

BT... I'd get one to cover both because you might decided to do something on the spur of the moment and need it. Does it cover the trolleys too?

But then I carry pills in my purse for radiation sickness... theory of mine is... if I have it I will never need it. You know like it rains when you aren't carrying your umbrella Laughing

IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 09:57:08 PM »

Sharon... Thanks for the memories Laughing (like your name; heh heh) Love, "IBE"

BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 10:06:46 PM »

Quote from: "IBE"
BT... I'd get one to cover both because you might decided to do something on the spur of the moment and need it. Does it cover the trolleys too?

But then I carry pills in my purse for radiation sickness... theory of mine is... if I have it I will never need it. You know like it rains when you aren't carrying your umbrella Laughing

The way I read the information on the internet, there is one kind of pass that covers trains and cable cars, and one that also covers the buses. When hubby and I go to London, we always get the pass that covers the "big" trains, the underground trains, and the buses. However, a person needs buses also to get around London. Since I've never been to SF, I didn't know if that was a necessity there as well.

Thanks again so much for your help!!!!  Very Happy

I Stand With The Girl
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 07:38:59 AM »

BTGirl -- I am no help on the passes. I'm sure it's very different from when I lived there.

But I'm a big 'walker' -- and I love SF for being a great walking city. (Since I walk faster than a cable car....it was more of a 'to say that I did it' sort of ride).

There's TONS to see at the Wharf as well -- yes, touristy stuff, but 'San Francisco' nonetheless. Very Happy

To the 'west' of the wharf (I think) is the 'marina district' -- a very lovely residential area with Fort Mason, on the water. (I used to take an 'african aerobics' class with bongo drums, there Very Happy )

Alos, the botanical gardens are awesome, if you like that sort of thing. But that's at least a full day (for me anyway).

Also -- outside of the city there is an 'orchid' ranch. Shows how they are grown, and bred and cross bred Smile I had a blast! (Tylergal would definitley be the better guide on these last 2)

You will have a great time BT! And you will want to return.

(Caveat -- I am a New Yorker -- and I LOVE cities and metroploitans -- I think San Fran is one of the safest and most beautiful cities we have in the US. But, I LOVE cities)

IBE -- you're welcome for the memories. btw -- 'sharon' translates to the Hebrew word for 'princess'  Laughing

So, from one 'princess' to another -- have a great Sunday Wink

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
Buckeye
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 09:31:19 AM »

My favorite, is heading to the warf and grabbing a crab cocktail with sourdough bread.

Coit tower (for the view) and the crooked Lombard Street. There is a side street, in Chinatown, across from the Chinese hospital that has eye opening displays (decided then and there, not to eat in Chinatown). McDonalds has a chinese sign (and the phone booth by it, is in a pagoda).

Link to maps (and the SF visitor site is pretty well done).  I would do a greyline tour then decide where to go.  I've been there several times, but always with "natives".

http://www.onlyinsanfrancisco.com/maps/
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2007, 10:49:51 PM »

Thanks again, everyone.

I am big on walking when I'm sightseeing, but my co-worker Donna has some health issues, so I don't know if she will feel the same way about it or not.

I'm watching a show on TV right now that's about ghosts in SF, and it's showing me quite a bit of the area. I can't wait to see it for myself!  Very Happy

I Stand With The Girl
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.