March 28, 2024, 03:01:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OU Prof. Dwain Pellebon Arrested for Rape, Lewd Acts with Child  (Read 14888 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 07:20:04 PM »

http://normantranscript.com/headlines/x1501439585/Preliminary-hearing-set-for-former-OU-professor
Preliminary hearing set for former OU professor
February 15, 2012

On Tuesday, the preliminary hearing for a former University of Oklahoma professor suspected of rape and sexual abuse of and lewd acts with children was set for May 10.

On Dec. 19, 2011, the district attorney’s office charged Dwain A. Pellebon, 55, with two counts of first-degree rape of a child under 14, two counts of child sexual abuse by lewd acts and two counts of lewd acts with a child under 16. The alleged incidents cited in the formal charges involved two children, now 15 and 13. The incidents occurred between January 2010 and December 2011.

A Cleveland County Jail official said Pellebon was incarcerated on Dec. 9, 2011, though he was released the same day on $75,000 bond. Court documents show that he remains on pretrial release with supervision, though he is restricted from contacting minors.
 ::snipping2::

This POS is disgusting.  Only $75,000 bail . . . what is wrong with these judges?????

Not only did he do these deeds to young girls, he also preyed upon a 15 year old mentally disabled girl, who didn't realize what he was doing to her was wrong.  She had the mental maturity of a 10 year old.  There should be laws and extra charges for taking advantage of not only children, but those that are mentally or physically challenged.  They (along with our elderly citizens) are the most vulnerable and need our protection.  JMHO 
And it really, really gags me that this POS was on the board of directors for a chapter of CASA!

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2011/12/14/university-of-oklahoma-suspends-professor-amid-sex-abuse-charges-67780
Pellebon, who had been on family and medical leave since October 5 from OU, was on the board of directors for the Cleveland County chapter of Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), an organization that advocates for children in the juvenile court and foster systems. He took a leave of absence from the board earlier this year.

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/court-records-suspended-professor-implicated-previ/nF6SX/
A detective asking for a search warrant said in one of the documents that Pellebon admitted to having the girls in his home and having a mentally challenged 15-year-old girl strip and lay in his bed so that he could look at her.

The same girl described incidents constituting rape by Pellebon to authorities. The incidents took place in his bed and his shower, say documents.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 12:50:03 AM »

http://normantranscript.com/headlines/x271312318/Former-intern-claims-wrongful-reprimand
Former intern claims wrongful reprimand
By Joel Pruett The Norman Transcript
May 11, 2012

NORMAN — A former intern of City Rescue Mission has told the district court he was wrongfully reprimanded for reporting child abuse.

John Patrick Keefe II, who in 2002 was a master’s-level social work student at the University of Oklahoma, filed an amicus curiae brief Tuesday in the trial of Dwain A. Pellebon.

Pellebon, 55, of Norman, is a former University of Oklahoma social work professor who has been accused of raping and sexually abusing two children. The children are now 15 and 13.

According to the brief, Pellebon and other officials of the rescue mission, supported by university officials, reprimanded Keefe for reporting physical child abuse to the Oklahoma Department of Human Services.
Keefe has asked to testify at Pellebon’s trial. According to the brief, he has evidence that shows Pellebon “has a history of intentionally and willfully try(ing) to prevent the reporting of child abuse.”

Pellebon’s preliminary hearing originally was scheduled for Thursday, though a court official said it has been rescheduled for 10 a.m. June 22.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 08:18:13 PM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1112/14/ijvm.01.html
ISSUES WITH JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL
Oklahoma U. Prof Charged with Child Sex Crimes; Woman Fakes Rape to Convince Husband to Move; Vermont Frat Makes Joke about Rape
Aired December 14, 2011 - 19:00   ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL, HOST (voice-over): Tonight, another alleged pedophile lurking on a university campus? A college professor arrested on charges of rape and child sex allegations. And get this. The University of Oklahoma`s Web page says the 54-year-old teaches a course on human sexuality. Is it a coincidence this man chose a profession where he`s surrounded by young people?

And cops say this woman made up a sick lie, telling her husband she was raped, hoping to convince him they need to move to a safer neighborhood. She allegedly split her own lip, scraped her own knuckles, and even had a friend punch her in the face. Why would she go to such lengths? Did she consider rape so insignificant she could lie about it?

Then, Lindsay Lohan, who just took it all off for "Playboy," struts back into court to give a judge a progress report, even though she just failed to show up for "Ellen." Is she doing everything in her power to put her problems in the past? Plus, we`ve got a sneak peek at that sultry "Playboy" shoot.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I don`t know how I`d fell, like finding out if my professor I`d had all semester was -- just got charged with that. I think I`d be really weirded out.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Many O.U. students are talking about the recent arrest of one of their professors.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Not only in their classes did they talk about, like, sexual abuse and dealing with the kids that got sexually abused but dealing with the people that sexually abused the kids.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Fifty-four-year-old Dwain Pellebon was booked on two complaints of rape and one complaint of lewd acts with a child.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Kind of weird that he was one of them and, you know, teaching them about that.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I just think it`s kind of disturbing to think about.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It`s tragic if it`s true.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We don`t need that on our campus. We don`t need that in our society.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: It`s happened again! More allegations of child sex abuse against a university employee. This time it`s a professor. What on earth is happening on our college campuses?

Good evening, everyone. Jane Velez-Mitchell coming to you from Atlanta. I`m doing a special event tonight at Atlanta`s Grady High School.

Well, right now the focus is on the University of Oklahoma. This very sick trend of college-related child sex abuse scandals has engulfed the entire nation. Of course, it started at Penn State. Then it spread to Syracuse University in New York. And now a brand-new case has reared its ugly head at the University of Oklahoma.

This man, Dr. Dwain Pellebon, right there, a professor of social work at the university, was arrested Friday. But he`s already out, of course. He posted a mere $75,000 bail and was back on the streets the very same day. He was arrested on two complaints of rape and one complaint of lewd acts with a child younger than 16.

Students at the University of Oklahoma are shaken and outraged because Professor Pellebon -- get this, are you sitting down? -- actually taught classes about, what else? Sexual abuse.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Only in their classes did they talk about, like, sexual abuse and dealing with the kids that got sexually abused but dealing with the people that sexually abused the kids. It`s kind of weird that he was one of them and, you know, was teaching them about that.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Wow. Well, we have a noted shrink to analyze that aspect.

The university`s Web site says that one of his courses is called "Sexuality: An examination of sexual behavior, gender difference and values." This is so incredibly disturbing. He was teaching about the very things he`s accused of doing.

How many students did he have access to in his role as professor, teaching about the sick behavior he is now accused of doing himself?

Straight out to Captain Tom Easley of the Norman, Oklahoma, Police Department.

Captain Easley, thank you so much for being here. Listen, we have so many unanswered questions. And you can`t tell us everything. But this professor is charged with lewd acts with a child under 16. My first question, is the victim a he or a she, and when did this happen? How long ago?

CAPTAIN TOM EASLEY, NORMAN, OKLAHOMA, POLICE DEPARTMENT (via phone): I`m sorry I can`t give you those particulars at this point.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Why can`t you tell us if it`s a boy or a girl?

EASLEY: No crime has been formally charged.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Why not?

EASLEY: Well, it takes -- it takes some time in circumstances like these, because we have a lot of evidence to sort through. And the district attorney wants as much information as they can possibly get before they formalize the charge.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: How did this...

EASLEY: My understanding that the charge will be formally filed before the end of the week.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: How did this all come out?

EASLEY: I`m sorry, I don`t understand the question.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: How did this all come out? How did you learn that somebody is accusing him of these horrific acts?

EASLEY: We received a referral from another agency that I`m not at liberty to discuss in detail at this point.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, was that other agency the university?

EASLEY: I`m not at liberty to discuss that.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: OK. Well, Captain, I want to thank you. I`m glad you came on, but I don`t know that you`re able to tell us anything. So I don`t know what else to ask you. I mean, is there anything you can tell us that we haven`t asked you?

EASLEY: We have executed two different -- two separate search warrants, and we`re processing that evidence even as we speak. A lot of it is computer related. We don`t know if there are more victims, but we`re certainly investigating to see if we have additional victims. There may even be additional charges in regard to the one victim that we do have.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Wow. So, in essence, sir, you`re coming on our show to say, "Hey, if you`ve had this experience, come forward and contact authorities"?

EASLEY: Sure. Absolutely. Especially in Norman.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Norman, Oklahoma. OK. Well thank you. Well, we`re getting the word out right now as we speak.

Now students at the University of Oklahoma were understandably horrified. They were shocked. They were like what? Especially the female students. Watch this.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Really creepy. I don`t know how I`d feel finding out if my professor I`d had all semester was -- just got charged with that. I think I`d be really weirded out.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right. Now here`s the university`s reaction. They said in a statement, "We acted swiftly -- swiftly to suspend Professor Pellebon from any contact with students. He was paid on -- placed on paid administrative leave until more facts are known."

Now that`s what I`d like to ask you, Mark Eiglarsh, criminal defense attorney. If they were a bus driver and he was accused of this, do you think he would be on paid leave? Do you think that there`s something questionable about him being able to just waltz in and out on $75,000 bail. He`s free tonight, and he`s also getting paid.

MARK EIGLARSH, CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY: I don`t think there was anything wrong with that. Jane, you just tried to get facts out. I`ve read articles. They are scant, if any, detail. What we do know is that someone is accusing him of a crime. OK. No charges have been brought yet. He might be very guilty, and thus, all of the things that you`re suggesting might be relevant.

But right now I don`t know what they`re alleging. I don`t know what corroboration there is. Search warrants have been issued. There`s been no indication that any evidence corroborates what the witnesses is saying. We don`t know if it`s a guy or a girl. That`s relevant. But we don`t know the age; we don`t know the circumstances. We don`t know enough to condemn this guy. I`d give him the presumption of innocence at this point.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I think you`re making a very good point, certainly. And we did reach out to his lawyer. We`ll read a statement in a second. But if his lawyer or if he wants to come on, I`d love to have him on the show any time.

Now, take a look what I think is sort of an odd timeline. You can decide whether you think it`s suspicious. Earlier this year Professor Pellebon took a leave of absence from a board he served on, the Cleveland County Chapter of Court-Appointed Special Advocates, an organization that, believe it or not, advocates for children in the juvie court system.

And then -- hmm -- in October, he suddenly leaves the university through the Family and Medical Leave Act.

So I want to ask Mark Serrano. You`re a survivor of abuse. You`re a survivors` advocate. Do you think that`s odd that, all of a sudden, months before he`s arrested, that he`s resigning from this, that, he`s stepping -- does it signal to you that perhaps more was known about what was coming down the pike? And if so, is there a lack of transparency here? Should something have happened in October if, in fact, people in authority found out that these allegations were on the horizon?

MARK SERRANO, SURVIVORS` ADVOCATE: Yes, Jane. Clearly we got a few pieces of the puzzle now, and it`s obvious to me that, if he resigned from that board, somebody at the university must have known that there was a serious accusation about him.

This is a fresh reminder that people who work around kids have a high, high duty to report anything suspicious they may see or know or sense. They`ve got a responsibility to do that. And universities or major institutions, this shows us their crisis response, crisis communications response must include full transparency, and we don`t see that yet from this university at all.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes. I mean, we heard their statement, but I just think it`s very odd timing that he suddenly steps away and takes a leave in October. And then this happens.

Now take a look at this. A reporter in Oklahoma went to Professor Dwain Pellebon`s home. And what they found was a note on the door saying, "Contact my attorney." Well, they did. And here`s what the attorney said: "Dr. Pellebon denies all allegations. Formal charges have not been filed." Of course, Dr. Pellebon again and his attorney are invited on this show any time.

Dr. Judy Kuriansky, I`m sure you have an analysis of the irony of him teaching about sexuality, teaching students about sexual abuse and now being accused of the very same thing.

DR. JUDY KURIANSKY, PSYCHOLOGIST: Exactly, I do. As a psychologist and also as a sex therapist and as a sex educator who has taught, Jane, for 30 years college students and graduate students about human sexuality. So I know the story inside and out, how important it is to follow ethics. We have them from the American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors, and Therapists.

And this guy is an example of a bad apple, just like the college coaches who are pedophiles, or the priests who turn out to be pedophiles. There are those bad apples in every group. These are people who have access to kids and purposely do that, like -- like the child abusers who become clowns so that they can be with kids. So that`s one issue about this.

The second is that these people have reaction formations. They purposely go into a field where they can talk about an issue that they are sinning themselves from.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes. They present the exact opposite of what they are.

KURIANSKY: Yes, exactly.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: But, again, these are just accusations. Great analysis, as always, Dr. Judy.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:00:10 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 01:18:27 PM »

http://normantranscript.com/archive/x1638291561/Update-Young-woman-takes-stand-against-ex-professor
Update: Young woman takes stand against ex-professor
Former OU professor on tria
l
June 22, 2012

NORMAN — A 21-year-old woman took the stand Friday afternoon and testified that a former University of Oklahoma social work professor watched her breasts bounce on a massage chair at his house. The alleged incident occurred when the woman was 15.

Dwain A. Pellebon, 55, of Norman, has been charged with two counts of first-degree rape of a child under 14, two counts of child sexual abuse by lewd acts and two counts of lewd acts with a child under 16.

The alleged incidents cited in the formal charges involved two children, now 16 and 13. The incidents reportedly occurred between January 2010 and December 2011.

During afternoon testimony, the 21-year-old also said Pellabon gave her and her younger sister about 15 manual massages.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »

http://normantranscript.com/headlines/x399013693/Pellebon-to-stand-trial-in-child-sexual-abuse-case
Pellebon to stand trial in child sexual abuse case
June 23, 2012

NORMAN — Special District Judge Michael Tupper this afternoon bound over for trial a former University of Oklahoma social work professor accused of child sexual abuse.

Tupper also amended the Dec. 19 charges to add more counts against Dwain A. Pellebon.

Pellebon, 55, of Norman, now is charged with four counts of child sexual abuse by lewd acts and six counts of lewd acts with a child.

Pellebon resigned from the university in December.

Six female witnesses, ranging in age from 9 to 21, took the stand Friday to testify against Pellebon.
Assistant District Attorneys James Siderias and Susan Caswell are representing the state. Attorney David Smith is representing Pellebon.

The case has been assigned to District Judge Tom Lucas.

Pellebon will have an arraignment within 40 days.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 01:24:36 PM »

Smacks of some of what we were seeing in Jerry Sandusky's case.   

http://www.oudaily.com/news/2012/jun/23/former-ou-professor-will-stand-trial-child-sex-abu/
Former OU professor will stand trial on child sex abuse charges
June 23, 2012

A former OU professor accused of sexually abusing several young girls over a period of years will stand trial, a Cleveland County judge ruled Friday.

Dwain Pellebon, who had been facing first-degree rape charges, will stand trial on four counts of sexual abuse of a child and six counts of lewd acts with a child. Pellebon resigned from OU in December.

Several young girls testified Friday about their interactions with Pellebon, 55, including a mentally disabled 16-year-old who told the court how the defendant took her to his bedroom and removed her clothes.

“He started touching me … where he's not supposed to,” the girl said.

The alleged abuse of the girls who testified began in 2009, prosecutors say, although the former professor was investigated more than a decade ago amid similar allegations.
Most of the alleged abuse happened at Pellebon's home in Norman, although some of the girls say they were inappropriately touched at a movie theater.

Another witness, who is now 21, testified that the defendant would watch her use a “massage chair” that caused her breasts to shake.

“He would just watch us … our breasts,” the woman said. “I felt very uncomfortable.”

The woman said Pellebon had also given her about 15 massages over the years, which involved him undoing her bra while he rubbed her back.

She said the defendant also kept a massage chair in a den-like room in his residence.

The same witness also testified that Pellebon would do other “weird” things, including spying on her and her sister when they were most vulnerable.

“He was just in the room watching us sleep,” the woman said. “Kind of creeped me out.”

The woman said Pellebon also used her younger sister as a “model.”

“He had a big painting in his office of her,” she said. “She was 11 or 12.”

Other witnesses described similar run-ins with the former social work professor, often involving hugs — from behind — and kisses on the forehead.

One girl, who is only 9, told the court that Pellebon would often play games with her when the older girls were elsewhere. During the games, the defendant would be “the monster,” frequently “fake attacking” her and pretending to bite her.

The young girl said the former professor was kind to her and that she was “surprised” when the sex abuse allegations surfaced following his December arrest.

Prosecutors said it was a prime example of how Pellebon would “groom” his victims.
The 21-year-old woman also noted Pellebon's kindness, at times, describing how after she was injured in a car accident years ago, he brought her an autographed photo of OU women's basketball coach Sherri Coale.

Pellebon posted bail shortly after his arrest in December and is expected to be arraigned by district judge in the coming weeks. He doesn't have a prior arrest record, although he was investigated by the state Department of Human Services in 2001 over allegations of abuse involving the daughter of a former Norman police officer.

Court records show that charges weren't filed because the alleged victim wouldn't cooperate with investigators.

It was revealed in court that Pellebon no longer lives at his home, where his wife and stepson now reside. The defendant has denied the allegations leveled against him since his arrest.

Pellebon has described himself to investigators as an “affectionate, sensual man who liked to hug, kiss, cuddle and stroke young girls that he felt close to,” according to court documents.

The ex-professor, free on $75,000 bail, told police during an interview at his house that he'd viewed child pornography “one time” but that he'd never downloaded any.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 02:35:13 PM »

Sick, sick, sick!

These are my opinions and subject to change.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 10:07:50 PM »

http://normantranscript.com/headlines/x1510839298/Pellebon-to-return-to-court
Pellebon to return to court
July 21, 2012

NORMAN — A former University of Oklahoma social work professor accused of child sexual abuse was scheduled today for an 11:30 a.m. Oct. 26 status conference.

Dwain A. Pellebon, 55, of Norman, appeared before District Judge Tracy Schumacher Friday morning for his formal arraignment.

At his June 22 preliminary hearing, Pellebon’s Dec. 19 charges were amended.

He is now charged with three counts of child sexual abuse and six counts of lewd or indecent proposals to children under 16.

Six female witnesses, ranging in age from 9 to 21, took the stand at the preliminary hearing to testify against Pellebon.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 10:09:49 PM »

http://www.oudaily.com/news/2012/jul/21/pellebon/
Former OU professor Dwain Pellebon pleads innocent of sex abuse crimes
July 21, 2012

A former OU professor accused of sexually abusing several young girls pled innocent Friday at the Cleveland County Courthouse.

Dwain Pellebon, 55, who will stand trial on three counts of child sexual abuse and six counts of lewd acts with a child, appeared before district judge Tracy Schumacher at his arraignment Friday.

The acts Pellebon is charged with occurred between 2005 and 2010, according to court documents.

Pellebon’s attorney, David Smith, told Schumacher that his client would not accept a plea offer from the prosecutor. Schumacher ordered Pellebon to reappear for a status conference to determine trial date availability and the status of discovery and motion hearings. The status conference is set for 11:30 a.m. Oct. 26.

Pellebon, a former School of Social Work professor, was arrested Dec. 9 after a child welfare worker reported a teenage girl claimed she saw Pellebon molest a 13-year-old girl during a sleepover at his home in Norman.

Pellebon was released on $75,000 bail Dec. 19 with the provision that he would not have any contact with minors, according to court documents. Pellebon resigned from his position at OU on Dec. 20.
Pellebon doesn’t have a prior arrest record, but he was investigated by the state Department of Human Services in 2001 under similar allegations involving the daughter of a former Norman police officer.

Court records show that no charges were filed because the alleged victim failed to give investigators a statement.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2012, 10:11:14 PM »

This is just crazy!!!   

http://newsok.com/ex-professor-accused-of-child-sex-abuse-trained-dhs-staff/article/3694393
Ex-professor accused of child sex abuse helped train Oklahoma child welfare supervisors
A former University of Oklahoma social work professor who is awaiting trial on charges of sexually abusing children helped train Oklahoma Department of Human Services child welfare supervisors, records reveal.
July 22, 2012

NORMAN — A former University of Oklahoma social work professor who is awaiting trial on a charge of sexually abusing children helped train state DHS child welfare supervisors for 15 years before his contract was terminated in December 2011, The Oklahoman has learned.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2012, 10:14:26 PM »

I hope Dwain Pellebon receives the longest, hardest punishment for his crimes against children.  He knew better than most and therefore should be held to a higher standard.  Lock him up!!!

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20120722_11_A13_NORMAN605409
Child sex abuse defendent trained Oklahoma DHS supervisors
By RANDY ELLIS & ANDREW KNITTLE NewsOK.com
Published: 7/22/2012  2:32 AM
Last Modified: 7/22/2012  5:23 AM

NORMAN - A former University of Oklahoma social work professor who is awaiting trial on a charge of sexually abusing children helped train state DHS child welfare supervisors for 15 years before his contract was terminated in December, The Oklahoman has learned.

Professor Dwain Pellebon, 55, pleaded not guilty Friday in Cleveland County District Court to three counts of child sexual abuse and six counts of making lewd or indecent proposals to a child.
Pellebon led continuing education training sessions for state Department of Human Services child welfare supervisors from 1996 through 2011, officials said.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 09:19:35 AM »

http://pellebon.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.html

This is the prof's blog from 2009.  I'm not going to save it as I'm running out of harddrive space.  Maybe someone else will.

FRIDAY, JUNE 26, 2009
Michael Jackson: Reflections on the man in the mirror
Death and tragedy are difficult to comprehend and give meaning. Yesterday’s news was stunning and today, as I listened to “Man in the mirror” on the radio, tears emerged as I began to process what he meant to me as a person; his great accomplishments; and, his human frailties.

The Jackson Five, featuring Michael Jackson, became famous when I was 12 years old. I grew up in a blue-collar Black and Creole neighborhood of New Orleans where music was a centerpiece of culture and often a source of pride and identity for Black Americans (particularly after the civil rights explosion). The Jackson Five’s music made me sing, dance, and even helped form my thinking about preadolescent love with songs such as, “I want you back,” “Who’s loving you,” “The love you save,” and “ABC.” In my imagination Michael Jackson and I grew older together sharing a synchronization of his music and my coming of age. A feeling that I suppose those Elvis fans, his age as they followed his career, could easily identify.

I recall the controversy of his leaving “our” beloved Jackson Five. “It was wrong, don’t break-up such a cool group!” Well, it ended up being a brilliant decision. Going solo moved Michael Jackson from the soul genre into a mixture of pop, R&B, rock genres that launched him into an international star. He broke racial stigmas, cultural barriers, music limits, and performance styles in the same way Bruce Lee redefined martial arts in popular culture. The great singer became an icon, solidifying this status with Thriller’s great success and the revolutionary concept of producing a mini-movie music video. With his fame was a passion for peace, love, and charity all over the world. He showed that he cared for people. Seemingly idealistic, it was as if he felt he could solve the world’s problems with his music’s message and his personal image.

Despite all he had contributed in so many ways, we also learned that Michael Jackson was human. He had frailties that people often speculated about, but only he completely knew. Black Americans struggled with the constant changes in his physical appearance. Many who felt so empowered by Jackson had felt somewhat betrayed, as though the question was, “Doesn’t he understand that he crushed the race barrier of music?” Many of us thought, “Why be ashamed of being Black when you are loved just as you are!” His fans grumbled but still loved him.
As time passed, fans of all ethnicities and nationalities (now being an international star) began to question Jackson’s basic sense of reality. From the plastic surgeries, to the exotic pets, sleep chamber, fascination with the so-called Elephant Man’s bones, and questions about his sexual orientation, his fans struggled with him. Those who were not so touched by Jackson’s music were willing to believe the worst based on what seemed to be a person out-of-touch with reality. There are few who really knew whether Michael Jackson crossed the line of decency. But, it was those serious challenges and human struggles which makes Michael Jackson so real to me. Michael Jackson has accomplished what few people can ever imagine, yet he struggled and suffered in some of life’s most simplest arenas—relationship, love, and identity.

So, as I reflect on Michael Jackson, I conclude that he was both great and flawed. In that conclusion, I also see the vast potential in the human spirit, and how greatness does not wipe away our human vulnerabilities. We all must deal with both for all our lives. To me this is the symbolic meaning of the early death of this entertainment icon. Similar to Marilyn Monroe, the images we will have are those of his youth and energy. His legacy cannot be comprehended at this time. But in my own lifetime, to that man in the mirror, I can say, “Thank you Michael Jackson. Thank you for all the memories and happiness you brought to my life and the lives of so many others, on those occasions when I awkwardly imitated you or shared your music and videos with others who grew to love your work. I believe you tried to be a good person. Maybe sometimes you did fail, only God knows what was in your heart. Regardless, your accomplishments gave me hope, and your frailty reminds me to remain humble. Again, thank you.”
Posted by Dwain Pellebon, Ph.D. at 3:05 PM 0 comments   
Labels: Michael Jackson, Michael Jackson dies

Also includes
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 10, 2009
Limbaugh and others share some blame for murders

BBM
This POS must really believe he didn't cross the line of decency.  It's hard to comprehend.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 05:38:08 PM »

http://newsok.com/red-flag-penn-state-ordeal-sparks-vigilance-call/article/3696801
Ordeal at Penn State sparks call for vigilance
Published July 31, 2012

It’s easy to wonder how Penn State officials could allow something so horrible to go on for so long. Red flags surrounded Jerry Sandusky as far back as 1998 when he was first accused of exploiting a child. Investigators concluded they didn’t have enough evidence to press charges at that time.
Image concerns apparently led Penn State officials to allow Sandusky to continue bringing boys to football games even after the allegation, which may have facilitated the victimization of many children.
We’d like to think it couldn’t happen here. Yet a former University of Oklahoma social work professor now awaits trial for sexually abusing children. Dwain Pellebon, who has pleaded not guilty, actually trained Department of Human Services’ child welfare supervisors.
Some DHS officials knew Pellebon was accused of inappropriate conduct with a child as far back as 2001. The complaint was lodged by the alleged victim’s father, who was a police officer at the time. As in Pennsylvania in 1998, prosecutors felt there was insufficient evidence to pursue charges.
More...

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.