April 20, 2024, 12:23:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "My Time at Walmart: Why We Need Serious Welfare Reform"  (Read 2868 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: December 15, 2011, 10:39:26 AM »

During the 2010 and 2011 summers, I was a cashier at Wal-Mart #1788 in Scarborough, Maine. I spent hours upon hours toiling away at a register, scanning, bagging, and dealing with questionable clientele. These were all expected parts of the job, and I was okay with it. What I didn’t expect to be part of my job at Wal-Mart was to witness massive amounts of welfare fraud and abuse.

How many working folks eat beans and rice to make ends meet?

I understand that sometimes, people are destitute. They need help, and they accept help from the state in order to feed their families. This is fine...I once had a man show me his welfare card for an ID to buy alcohol. The man was from Massachusetts. Governor Michael Dukakis’ signature was on his welfare card. Dukakis’ last gubernatorial term ended in January of 1991. I was born in June of 1991. The man had been on welfare my entire life. That’s not how welfare was intended, but sadly, it is what it has become.

a) People ignoring me on their iPhones while the state paid for their food. (For those of you keeping score at home, an iPhone is at least $200, and requires a data package of at least $25 a month. If a person can spend $25+ a month so they can watch YouTube 24/7, I don’t see why they can’t spend that money on food.)

read more here - http://thecollegeconservative.com/2011/12/13/my-time-at-walmart-why-we-need-serious-welfare-reform/

from the comments -

I j ust wanted 2 say this doesnt go far enough. THis doesnt go far enough. U wanna buy porterhouse stakes? you want to be buy a cake witth all the trimmings?? work for it. work at walmart. i dont want to tell MY kids that theyre future will be payi ng 4 LOOSERS 2 eat Sara Lee. I WANT THEM 2 BE WORKING 4 A LIVEING LIKE THIS YOUNG LADY, AT WALMART OR ANY OTHER BUISINESS IN TOWN!!!!!!!!

When I was in college (35 years ago) my wife and I were just scraping by on mac & cheese and oatmeal. I worked in a grocery store, and one night 4 other college students came in. They were renting a house together and they combined their food stamps and bought 2 cart-loads of groceries with steaks, roasts, all primo groceries. I have been very suspect of our welfare system ever since.

(This is in line with my current experiences...then they go out and get into a newer truck with all the chrome fixins...)

I do understand what you are saying, but are you saying that just because they are on food stamps they shouldn’t be able to eat a steak once in a while. I too have worked in a grocery store and have seen the abuse that happens. You are correct that once you get on the system its almost impossible to get off, but some of that is the governments fault. They start trying to get on their feet by getting a job and the government pulls the floor out from under them, taking everything from them all at once. They won’t let you get things going before they take everything so its easier just to stay on welfare and not worry that you won’t be able to eat cos you make just enough money to have benefits denied. I to am a republician, but I have seen first hand through people I know that if you try to help yourself at all the government cuts you off at your knees. Reform is neede, but it has to be done in the right way.

How many working families eat steak and lobster?  Had a giant store bought birthday cake?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 10:58:57 AM »

I'm not sure if I am allowed to post in here:  I agree we need serious welfare reform.  I agree also that it is abused, but not by everyone.  I have to say that I have no problem paying extra taxes so that a poor child can have a decent birthday cake.  Every working class family that I know enjoys a nice birthday cake.  So, I do not see an issue with that.  I have an issue with the state giving too many food stamps, or not offering a way out.  I have a problem with CEOs and entertainers being paid more than a social worker or anyone in the human services field.  The poverty cycle needs to be broken and people have to learn how to live and be productive, not entitled.  However, I come from poverty.  My biological mother kept having children because she knew that she would get more assistance.  I ended up being taken away at the age of 22 months.  I was dying...I stopped growing...my organs were shutting down.  She knew absolutely nothing.  No one came in and tried to show her either.  Her mother use to tie her up to a tree and let her sit for hours.  Where was she to learn?  My biological siblings all quit school prior to ninth grade.  They all live off of the system.  It works for them.  It shouldn't.  I have tried to get social workers involved and told them what is going on.  They aren't paid enough to care.  I suppose.  However, their children should not suffer because they are not responsible.  So, what happens then?  We need to quit tolerating the entitlement attitude and teach our youngsters to be responsible for themselves.  Maybe in a few generations we can turn this attitude around.  We need to move from Keynesian economics and use classical economics that will make people responsible for themselves, instead of the government.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 06:57:25 PM »

..I have to say that I have no problem paying extra taxes so that a poor child can have a decent birthday cake.  Every working class family that I know enjoys a nice birthday cake...I have a problem with CEOs and entertainers being paid more than a social worker or anyone in the human services field.  The poverty cycle needs to be broken and people have to learn how to live and be productive, not entitled...However, I come from poverty.  My biological mother kept having children because she knew that she would get more assistance.  I ended up being taken away at the age of 22 months.  I was dying...I stopped growing...my organs were shutting down.  She knew absolutely nothing.  No one came in and tried to show her either.  Her mother use to tie her up to a tree and let her sit for hours.  Where was she to learn?  My biological siblings all quit school prior to ninth grade.  They all live off of the system.  It works for them.  It shouldn't.  I have tried to get social workers involved and told them what is going on.  They aren't paid enough to care.  I suppose.  However, their children should not suffer because they are not responsible.  So, what happens then?  We need to quit tolerating the entitlement attitude and teach our youngsters to be responsible for themselves.  Maybe in a few generations we can turn this attitude around.  We need to move from Keynesian economics and use classical economics that will make people responsible for themselves, instead of the government.

When I was young, many moms (and dads) made their own birthday cakes.  What's wrong with a homemade birthday cake?   I thought those birthday cakes were nice too.

Rather than taxing people to pay for extravagant store bought birthday cakes, why don't people make a donation?  Like the person buying people's layaways at KMart?  Maybe it's a new charity? 

What if we don't have a few generations to turn this attitude around?  The nation is broke.

Why can't those people work at least a minimum wage job to contribute to their own maintenance?  For generations, women worked.  Married women, single women, single moms...all worked because that was how the world worked. 

We have illegal aliens that come here from thousands of miles for what some call 'the jobs American's don't want to do'.  Why not send those here illegally home and get those people off welfare?

Have an issue with the pay of CEO's and entertainers?  Buy the companies and change the pay structure.  I've never understood why unions collect so much in dues and don't buy stock in the companies they work for.  Buy the company, one stock at a time.  Be the change you want to see in the world.

Would any social worker have made a difference, even if they made as much as a CEO or entertainer?  Would anyone have made a difference if your mom or anyone's mom didn't have a desire or need to change? 

Where were the community organizations?  Many churches have woman's groups that help new moms.

Did mom have any incentives to make sure her kids stayed in school?  Like...benefits get cut for every day they miss school?  Drop out?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 07:09:46 PM »

Why not ask Obama's millionaire, billionaire friends to donate to charity?  All those cries of 'raise my taxes'...

What are they waiting for?  Fill the gap!!!  Donate today.  Don't wait for Obama and the Democrats.

There are plenty of working families that can't afford a store bought birthday cake, can't afford an IPOD. 

What goes Obama have for them?  $20 a week extra in their check?  A middle class tax cut that won't fill the gas tank, won't pay for the increasing cost of electric/gas/oil due to Obama's regulations?   Might buy a few packs of cigarettes?

I think the point of the article is that there are many in the entitlement class that get way too much, some who sell their food stamps, fraud/waste/abuse.  Who's taking care of the children?  Anyone?

Why aren't Obama's wealthy 'raise my taxes' taking action?  Donating money to Obama's Treasury?

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 06:39:10 AM »

What is the abuse of the welfare system?  Having a child so you get more money?  Is it selfishness about life in general? 

Are children born for a welfare check any different than those sold into slavery by their parents in poor countries?  How do  you fix a cold, uncaring heart?  Send in an army of social workers?  Give them a booklet?  Expect a miracle in millions of homes?

If you cut off their welfare payments, how many would actually go to work to keep their children?

I've known single moms that worked 3 jobs to get by.  Likely, they could have stayed home and lived on welfare.  Their children saw how hard mom worked and they managed to stay in school.  Mom never got new clothing, new shoes, a new car.  Everything went to make a better life for their children.

There are all kind of stories made into movies about parents/families that were poor and survived.  'The Ditch Diggers Daughters' come to mind.  Poor, self made man and prosperous family'...

Can you throw money at poverty and eliminate it?  Give away free birthday cakes?  Educate away selfishness and self-interest?  Bad parenting?

Does the welfare state end poverty?  Or, does it create generation after generation of people who are selfish and disinterested in their children?

Work, even a minimum wage job, solves a lot of human problems.

Just my humble opinions

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 08:51:11 AM »

Is the US the global leader in the subsidy of long term (generational) child abuse and neglect?

Our presidents have become cheerleaders for child abuse and neglect?  Just send more money?  Just send them a little extra for free birthday cakes?

I imagine that free birthday cakes will dwarf the money working families get from Obama's $20 a week tax cut...

We have a president that seems to do everything in his power to ensure that more Americans lose their jobs, good union jobs are destroyed, sent offshore, or never created (pipeline).

When does the madness end?  When do Americans get their free enterprise system back?  Keep the fruit of their labor?  Government tax/theft/confiscation of labor stops?

just my humble opinions

labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 10:14:16 AM »

..I have to say that I have no problem paying extra taxes so that a poor child can have a decent birthday cake.  Every working class family that I know enjoys a nice birthday cake...I have a problem with CEOs and entertainers being paid more than a social worker or anyone in the human services field.  The poverty cycle needs to be broken and people have to learn how to live and be productive, not entitled...However, I come from poverty.  My biological mother kept having children because she knew that she would get more assistance.  I ended up being taken away at the age of 22 months.  I was dying...I stopped growing...my organs were shutting down.  She knew absolutely nothing.  No one came in and tried to show her either.  Her mother use to tie her up to a tree and let her sit for hours.  Where was she to learn?  My biological siblings all quit school prior to ninth grade.  They all live off of the system.  It works for them.  It shouldn't.  I have tried to get social workers involved and told them what is going on.  They aren't paid enough to care.  I suppose.  However, their children should not suffer because they are not responsible.  So, what happens then?  We need to quit tolerating the entitlement attitude and teach our youngsters to be responsible for themselves.  Maybe in a few generations we can turn this attitude around.  We need to move from Keynesian economics and use classical economics that will make people responsible for themselves, instead of the government.
[/quo

When I was young, many moms (and dads) made their own birthday cakes.  What's wrong with a homemade birthday cake?   I thought those birthday cakes were nice too.

Rather than taxing people to pay for extravagant store bought birthday cakes, why don't people make a donation?  Like the person buying people's layaways at KMart?  Maybe it's a new charity? 

What if we don't have a few generations to turn this attitude around?  The nation is broke.

Why can't those people work at least a minimum wage job to contribute to their own maintenance?  For generations, women worked.  Married women, single women, single moms...all worked because that was how the world worked. 

We have illegal aliens that come here from thousands of miles for what some call 'the jobs American's don't want to do'.  Why not send those here illegally home and get those people off welfare?

Have an issue with the pay of CEO's and entertainers?  Buy the companies and change the pay structure.  I've never understood why unions collect so much in dues and don't buy stock in the companies they work for.  Buy the company, one stock at a time.  Be the change you want to see in the world.

Would any social worker have made a difference, even if they made as much as a CEO or entertainer?  Would anyone have made a difference if your mom or anyone's mom didn't have a desire or need to change? 

Where were the community organizations?  Many churches have woman's groups that help new moms.

Did mom have any incentives to make sure her kids stayed in school?  Like...benefits get cut for every day they miss school?  Drop out?

I mostly agree with you.  Just making a statement and adding a little input.  Of course, a social worker alone wouldn't have made a difference.  I know that.  Along with everything else that you said.  One thing isn't going to do it.  My motto has always been "be the change you want to see in the world."  I have it on my office door.  I feel like a do make a change in this world each and every day, for the better.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.