March 29, 2024, 01:03:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dena Schlosser-Mother Who Severed Baby's Arms Back in Hospital  (Read 7733 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: April 25, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »

I thought this case was already at SM, but I couldn't find a thread.  I could only find one reference to the case by Nut.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/texas/100424-mother-who-severed-baby-arms-back-in-hospital
April 25, 2010

DALLAS - A woman who killed her 10-month-old daughter by cutting off her arms with a kitchen knife but was found not guilty by reason of insanity has been returned to a state mental hospital after being released in 2008.

Dena Schlosser, 41, was ordered back to Terrell State Hospital on Thursday by State District Judge Chris Oldner, but she has been under care there for several weeks, said her attorney, David Haynes. Firefighters had found her in March walking down the street at 2 a.m. in Richardson.

Schlosser was arrested in Plano in November 2004, after telling a 911 operator she had severed her baby's arms. She told psychiatrists that God had told her to do it. She was released from state care by Oldner in November 2008, and had been free on an outpatient maintenance basis that required her to take medication, among other things.

"She had been pursuing her outpatient treatment plans," Haynes told The Dallas Morning News. "She had a job, and she was working to the satisfaction of her employer. But we can't hide the fact that she was walking down the street at 2 in the morning, and I can't say that I disagree with the judge's decision."

Schlosser had been diagnosed with postpartum psychosis and depression after the birth of her youngest child, Margaret. Her first capital murder trial ended in a hung jury. In 2006, Oldner found her not guilty by reason of insanity.

Restrictions on her release included that she have no unsupervised contact with minor children, stay on birth control, attend mental health appointments and keep taking medication. If she failed to comply, the judge could revoke her release.

Haynes noted that Schlosser wasn't arrested and won't go to jail.

"The judge believes that's (the state hospital) the best place for her. She's going to try and do what's she's been doing, and that's try to get better," he said.

She has two older children but was forbidden by her 2007 divorce decree from having contact with them.

Haynes said it was made clear during her commitment hearing on Thursday before Oldner that the length of time she'll spend in the Terrell hospital is indefinite.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 07:49:46 PM »

sooooooo...she committed this heinous act on her baby and she is released after 4 years??????  why is she even out roaming the streets? who knows what she will do...this is just crazy if you ask me!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 10:17:53 PM »

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/woman-who-cut-off-babys-arms-had-job-2429446.html
Woman who cut off baby's arms had job at store
August 6, 2012

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 10:21:03 PM »

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Baby-killer-mom-found-working-in-area-Walmart-165199856.html
Mother who killed her child found working in area Walmart
August 6, 2012

DALLAS - This past weekend, one Terrell Walmart shopper snapped a photo of a checkout cashier whose face she found familiar. Hours later, her suspicions were confirmed.

She had just encountered one of the most notorious characters in North Texas of the past decade: Dena Schlosser, the former Collin County mother who in 2004, killed her baby by cutting off her arms during a so-called religious frenzy.

She was found not guilty by reason of insanity, committed to a mental institution, released in 2008, and recommitted to the state hospital in Terrell in 2010. In late June, she was hired by Walmart as a store associate.

More...

Video at Link

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 01:52:41 AM »

I am stunned.  How did the justice system go so wrong?

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.