March 18, 2024, 10:23:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cruise Liner Costa Concordia Aground in Italy - 30 Dead & 2 Unaccounted For  (Read 209824 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: January 14, 2012, 05:20:31 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/reports-cruise-ship-aground-off-italy-dead-15359045
Ship Aground off Italy; 3 Bodies Found, 69 Missing
By FRANCES D'EMILIO and NICOLE WINFIELD Associated Press
January 14, 2012

A Carabinieri boat approaches the luxury cruise ship Costa Concordia that ran aground the tiny Tuscan island of Giglio, Saturday, Jan. 14, 2012. (AP Photo/Gregorio Borgia)

Divers have been searching the submerged part of a luxury cruise liner that went aground off the Italian coast in case any of 70 people unaccounted for might be trapped inside, a coast guard official said Saturday, as passengers described a delayed and terrifying evacuation.

Three bodies were recovered from the sea after the Costa Concordia ran aground off the tiny island of Giglio near the coast of Tuscany late Friday, tearing a 160-foot (50-meter) gash in its hull and sending in a rush of water. The ANSA new agency identified them as two French passengers and a Peruvian crew member but did not cite a source.

Passengers described a scene reminiscent of "Titanic", saying they escaped the ship by crawling along upended hallways, desperately trying to reach safety as the lights went out and plates and glasses crashed.
More...
(3 page article)
Edit to update number of dead or missing in subject line.  MB
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:28:57 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/14/us-italy-ship-captain-idUSTRE80D0QI20120114
Italy ship captain arrested on suspicion of manslaughter
January 14, 2012

(Reuters) - The captain of the Italian cruise liner that ran aground off Italy was arrested on suspicion of multiple manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship, police said Saturday.
 ::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/14/italian-cruise-ship-disaster-titanic
Italian cruise ship disaster: 'Have you seen Titanic? That's what it was like'
As icy seawater began to swamp the Costa Concordia, passengers desperately scrambled down ropes to safety
January 14, 2012

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 05:26:54 PM »

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=it&tl=en&source=news&u=http://gaianews.it/attualita/nave-costa-naufraga-al-giglio-arrestato-capitano/id%3D16567
Costa ship wrecked on Giglio: Captain arrested
January 14, 2012

The Italian captain of the cruise ship Costa Concordia, which ran aground on the island of Giglio - killing three people and wounding 20 others - was arrested today and is under investigation for manslaughter and abandoning ship. He said the local prosecutor in Grosseto.

The captain, Francesco Schettino, had already been interrogated by investigators in Porto Santo Stefano on what happened when the Costa Concordia - with its 4,200 passengers - has hit the rocks in shallow waters off the coast of Tuscany, in peine Park of the Tuscan dell'Arcipelgo. Said Emilio Del Santo, an officer of the Coast Guard in Livorno.

In the early afternoon, the Port of Livorno Gaianews.it has confirmed that currently are 3 bodies recovered from the wreck of the Costa Concordia. The three dead were two French tourists and a crew member of Peru.

Reached by telephone, an officer of the Harbour has been said that are currently suspended search operations inside the vessel, after it has completely reversed on one side and partially sank. Even the divers, who had tried the night in bridges and flooded areas of the ship, broke off the search.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 05:31:15 PM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gRZIWyfwdsvTEhuf_9HxHti8joaw?docId=0b26cb0e5bba4c7b9162bc08c8a93490
Night of chaos, fear after cruise ship ran aground
By FRANCES D'EMILIO
January 14, 2012

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 05:37:35 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/14/world/europe/italy-cruise-deaths/?hpt=hp_t1
Police arrest Italian captain of cruise ship that ran aground, killing 3
January 14, 2012

The Costa Concordia, owned by Genoa-based Costa Cruises, ran aground on a sand bank off the island of Giglio on Friday, January 13.

The ship has a breach on the hull of about 90 meters, according to Officer Emilio Del Santo of the Coastal Authorities of Livorno.

Costa says the emergency operation continues and is helping passengers and crew return home.

Italian police assist in the rescue after the cruise ship ran aground near the Italian island of Giglio.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/14/world/europe/italy-cruise-deaths/?hpt=hp_t1
Police arrest Italian captain of cruise ship that ran aground, killing 3
January 14, 2012
Continued from above post

The huge ship, which which is now lying on its side in shallow water, was carrying about 3,200 passengers and 1,000 crew members when it ran aground at about dinner time.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120114103821-italy-ship-9-horizontal-gallery.jpg
Evacuation efforts started promptly but were made "extremely difficult" by the position of the listing ship.

The Costa Concordia cruise ship is pictured in March 2009 in Civitavecchia, Rome's tourist port.

The Concordia, built in 2006, was on a Mediterranean cruise from Rome with stops in Savona, Marseille, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Cagliari and Palermo, according to the cruise line. It was unclear how far into the cruise the grounding occurred.

Most of the passengers on board were Italian, as well as some French and German citizens. CNN affiliate America Noticias, in Peru, said a group of 32 Peruvians were also onboard. Brazil's state-run Agencia Brasil said 53 Brazilians were on the cruise ship: 47 passengers and six crew members, according to the foreign ministry. An estimated 126 Americans were also on board, according to the U.S. State Department. There were no reports of injured Americans.

The United Kingdom's Foreign and Commonwealth Office was working with Italian authorities to identify British nationals on the cruise, a spokesman said.

Another Costa ship was involved in a deadly 2010 accident when the Costa Europa crashed into a pier in Egypt's Sharm el-Sheikh during stormy weather, killing three crew members.

Additional photos from slide show available at link.  Videos also at link.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:43:06 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 06:53:18 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57359310/wrecked-liners-captain-detained-by-police/
Wrecked liner's captain detained by police
January 14, 2012

The captain of the Costa Concordia, Francesco Schettino, is shown being taken into police custody in Grosseto, Italy, January 14, 2012. Schettino has been detained for questioning following the ship's grounding at the island of Giglio off Italy's west coast. (EPA)

The ANSA news agency said he was taken to Grosseto's jail, to be held until next week, when a judge will decide whether he should be released or formally put under arrest.

The courthouse was closed late Saturday and couldn't be reached.

In Italy, suspects can be held without charge for 48 hours for investigation. A judge must either validate the jailing, putting the suspect under arrest, or declare him free to go.

(Slide show with 44 slides at link: http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-505263_162-10011002.html )
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:56:22 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »

does not make me anxious to go on our cruise exactly 2 weeks from today.
scary!!!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 08:05:02 AM »

does not make me anxious to go on our cruise exactly 2 weeks from today.
scary!!!

I hope you'll  feel more positive about your upcoming cruise.   It's something you should really enjoy.        I have a feeling the cruise lines are going to be paying a lot of attention in the coming days and weeks to passenger safety and awareness.  I think it's always good to note the ship's layout, and find out information if you can for emergency procedures, such as where you should go and etc.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 08:07:12 AM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57359398/3rd-survivor-found-on-wrecked-cruise-ship/
3rd survivor found on wrecked cruise ship
January 15, 2012

(AP)

Last Updated 7:42 A.M. ET

GIGLIO, Italy (AP) — Firefighters worked Sunday to rescue a crew member with a suspected broken leg from the overturned hulk of the luxury cruise liner Costa Concordia, 36 hours after it ran aground.

Spokesman Luca Cari told The Associated Press that rescuers had spoken to the person inside the ship, an Italian working in cabin service, who is the third survivor to be found. Late Saturday a South Korean couple on their honeymoon were rescued when firefighters in the unsubmerged part of the ship heard their screams. They were hoisted to safety Sunday afternoon by helicopter.

Three people are confirmed dead after the huge cruise ship carrying more than 4,200 people ran aground on Friday night. Authorities were holding the captain for suspected manslaughter among other possible charges.
talian officials have lowered the number of people still unaccounted for to 17. Tuscany's regional president Enrico Rossi said that there were now six crew members and 11 passengers who haven't been located out of the 4,200-plus people who were aboard the Costa Concordia when it struck a reef and capsized Friday night.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 12:26:28 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57359426/2-bodies-pulled-from-wrecked-cruise-ship/
2 bodies found on wrecked cruise ship
January 15, 2012

AP)

Last Updated 10:45 A.M. ET

GIGLIO, Italy (AP) — The Italian Coast Guard said its divers have found two more bodies aboard a stricken cruise ship off the west coast of Italy.

The discovery of the bodies brings to five the number of known dead after the luxury liner Costa Concordia ran aground with some 4,200 people aboard on Friday night.

The Coast Guard said Sunday the bodies of the two elderly people were found in the submerged restaurant.

Three survivors have been rescued from the hulk of a luxury liner Costa Concordia, after it ran aground off the island of Giglio, as prosecutors confirmed they were investigating the captain for manslaughter charges and abandoning the ship.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 05:00:01 PM »

Muffers..I will enjoy the cruise...when was the last disaster like this that we can recall? All ana all cruises are generally safe.I would agree that the cruise lines will be talking safety to their crews. Even as often as I fly, I listen to the safety drill each and every time, count the seats to the emergency exit etc,,,I will for sure be at the cruise line safety demo even though I have seen it before.
Lucky that this cruise ship was so close to land or God forbid there could have more deaths...how frightening for these people.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 07:18:52 PM »

Muffers..I will enjoy the cruise...when was the last disaster like this that we can recall? All ana all cruises are generally safe.I would agree that the cruise lines will be talking safety to their crews. Even as often as I fly, I listen to the safety drill each and every time, count the seats to the emergency exit etc,,,I will for sure be at the cruise line safety demo even though I have seen it before.
Lucky that this cruise ship was so close to land or God forbid there could have more deaths...how frightening for these people.

I'm glad to hear you really listen when they run through the safety drills and you count the seats to exits when you fly.     I'm like that too.  Same with hotels. I count the doors to the stairs etc. I had the experience of waking up at 5 a.m. in a hotel room on the second floor in Park City, Utah to the sound of a fire alarm.  My son and I got up and went downstairs.  There was a toaster on fire in the breakfast area.  I unplugged the toaster and holding it by the cord, threw it out a nearby door.  Then I went to help reopen all the fire  doors.  The desk clerk was so busy, because everyone was calling her.  They should have gotten up and come down stairs!!  My son and I were the ONLY ones that got up! 

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 07:34:03 PM »

Muffers...no one else came down? What is wrong with people? Everyone should take fire alarms seriously...I always look for exit signs whenever I am in a crowded room especially. We were caught up in a horrible overcrowding one night at a nightclub..I seriously thought that I was not going to make it out alive....never again will I put myself in that position again...scary!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 07:43:15 PM »

Muffers...no one else came down? What is wrong with people? Everyone should take fire alarms seriously...I always look for exit signs whenever I am in a crowded room especially. We were caught up in a horrible overcrowding one night at a nightclub..I seriously thought that I was not going to make it out alive....never again will I put myself in that position again...scary!

Crowded nightclubs are another potential for disaster.  I remember The Station nightclub fire, where 100 people perished.    

I think when the Costa Cordia went aground, it had potential to be much worse as we discussed earlier.  You're right, it's good it was near to shore. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 08:26:34 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-italy-cruise-ship-20120116,0,4403679.story
Italy cruise ship death toll rises to 5 as search continues
Two men's bodies are found in the submerged lower levels of the Costa Concordia, and 15 people remain missing. The ship's captain remains in custody as an investigation begins.
By Sarah Delaney - LA Times
January 16, 2012

Italian scuba divers approach the grounded cruise ship Costa Concordia as rescue efforts continue for the 15 people still missing. (Gregorio Borgia, Associated Press / January 15, 2012)

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 08:34:25 PM »

So sad..
I don't understand how this happened..why were they so close to shore? There should have been a huge crew with the captain to help maneuver that huge ship.. none of them noticed?

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 09:30:54 PM »

So sad..
I don't understand how this happened..why were they so close to shore? There should have been a huge crew with the captain to help maneuver that huge ship.. none of them noticed?

The investigation is still ongoing and I hope we learn more soon. I've seen various theories, from possible steering problems to the Captain saying the rock he hit wasn't on the charts as to why the ship ran aground. 

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-italy-cruise-ship-20120116,0,4403679.story

Authorities were evaluating the hypothesis that the ship's 52-year-old captain, Francesco Schettino, had steered the ship too close to the island to take a "bow," or salute its residents, an apparently common practice by cruise ships aiming to thrill their passengers, according to news reports.

The ship's black box was retrieved and was being examined to ascertain how the decision was made to bring the ship within about 300 yards of the rocky coast on its way from Civitavecchia to Savona, port cities on Italy's western coast.

Chief investigating magistrate Francesco Verusio of Grosseto said the captain had intentionally taken the nearly 1,000-foot, 126,000-ton vessel on "a route that it shouldn't have," bringing the ship too close to the rocks.

Schettino, who the cruise company said had been a captain since 2006, has said that he steered the ship on an authorized path but that it ran onto rocks that weren't marked on maritime charts, an account authorities immediately disputed.

Some commentators said on Italian television that although the captain apparently had made a grievous error by bringing the ship too close to the rocky island, he had probably saved hundreds of lives by steering it back to the port of Giglio, a move that facilitated rescue operations.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 10:26:25 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9017591/Cruise-disaster-Costa-Concordia-owners-accuse-captain.html
Cruise disaster: Costa Concordia owners accuse captain
The owner of the stricken Costa Concordia has blamed the captain for the accident, accusing him of negligence that led directly to the disaster in which at least six people died.
By Nick Squires, on Giglio
January 16, 2012

A rock emerges from the hull of the luxury cruise ship Costa Concordia (AP)

An underwater photograph of the Costa Concordia cruise ship that sank off the coast of the island of Giglio (EPA)

The death toll from Friday night's disaster, one of the worst in the cruise industry's recent history, rose to six today after rescuers discovered three more victims, including the bodies of two elderly men wearing life vests inside the vessel. A further 15 people remained missing.
Video at Link

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.