November 21, 2014, 08:10:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW SPECIAL SECTION CREATED FOR VIRGINIA AREA MISSING AND MURDERED AND POSSIBLE CONNECTIONS

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius, is accused of shooting his girlfriend to death.  (Read 13896 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2014, 09:44:01 AM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/oscar-pistorius-sentence-valentine-day-shooting-death-girlfriend-article-1.1981426
Oscar Pistorius sentenced to 5 years – but may get out in just 10 months – for shooting death of Reeva Steenkamp
Judge Thokozile Masipa handed down prison time to fallen South African Olympian Oscar Pistorius on Tuesday in the 2013 death of 29-year-old model Reeva Steenkamp. Pistorius was found guilty of culpable homicide after he fired four shots through the bathroom door at Steenkamp, killing her.
October 21, 2014

A judge sentenced the South African sprinter to five years in prison Tuesday for gunning down his girlfriend on Valentine’s Day 2013.

In doing so, Judge Thokozile Masipa ignored pleas for mercy from the fallen Olympian’s lawyer who said Pistorius — a double-amputee who uses prosthetics to walk and run — would be preyed on by prison rapists and targeted for murder by gangbangers.

Pistorius was neatly dressed in a black suit and tie, sitting motionless as he listened to the verdict after Masipa spoke for 65 minutes.

Being asked to stand, he did not flinch as the judge handed down the sentence.

On the second firearms count, Pistorius received a three-year suspended sentence.He has also been declared unfit to possess a firearm, Masipa said.

According to the sentence, Pistorius could be out in 10 months.

He needs to serve a sixth of his sentence to be considered for parole — his sentence can be then changed to correctional supervision.

More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #181 on: October 27, 2014, 11:04:01 PM »

http://www.smh.com.au/world/oscar-pistorius-case-prosecutors-to-appeal-verdict-and-sentence-20141028-11cpcx.html
Oscar Pistorius case: Prosecutors to appeal verdict and sentence
October 28, 2014

Pretoria: South African state prosecutors say they will appeal a culpable homicide verdict and five-year jail term handed down to fallen track star Oscar Pistorius.

"NPA (National Prosecuting Authority) will be appealing both the conviction and sentence," spokesman Nathi Mncube said on Monday.
Pistorius began a five-year prison stretch on October 21 after being found guilty of culpable homicide, but not guilty of a more serious charge of murder.

The state had sought to prove that Pistorius deliberately shot his girlfriend, 29-year-old Reeva Steenkamp, dead on Valentine's Day last year.

But trial judge Thokozile Masipa found there was not enough evidence to convict the 27-year-old of premeditated murder.

Details of the appeal have not yet released, but South African criminal lawyers have expressed shock that Masipa found Pistorius could not have foreseen that someone would die when he fired the shots.

Legal experts complained that it could open the door to systematic abuse of the legal system, or to people believing it would be okay to shoot in an irresponsible manne

South Africans had also criticised Masipa's five-year sentence as too lenient after it emerged Pistorius may be eligible for parole in less than a year.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2014, 11:06:26 PM »

Although I believe Oscar Pistorius got off lightly for what he did, he got more punishment than I thought they would give. 

grace-land
Monkey All Star

« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2014, 10:55:10 PM »

Although I believe Oscar Pistorius got off lightly for what he did, he got more punishment than I thought they would give. 

I thought that he would get a longer prison term, but I guess I don't understand their legal system.

Thank you for all of the updates...great job!  Rest and relax...
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2014, 07:19:01 PM »

I thought that he would get a longer prison term, but I guess I don't understand their legal system.

Thank you for all of the updates...great job!  Rest and relax...

Thank you grace-land.   

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.