March 18, 2024, 09:11:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plane crashes into Northwest Austin office building  (Read 19622 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2014, 08:43:18 AM »

http://kxan.com/2014/02/17/echelon-building-survivor-on-a-mission-to-help-burn-victims/
Echelon Building survivor on a mission to help burn victims
February 17, 2014

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2015, 09:54:09 PM »

http://kxan.com/2015/02/18/echelon-attack-survivor-pours-heart-into-the-burn-unit/
Echelon attack survivor pours heart into “The Burn Unit”
February 18, 2015

AUSTIN (KXAN) — One of two people critically injured in Echelon building attack five years ago is steering his recovery in a positive direction.

At the time, Shane Hill, 43, was a deputized U.S. Marshal assigned to the IRS to investigate financial crimes.

“When you figure out you’re not guaranteed the next second or the next minute or the next day then it, it changes your perspective,” said Hill.

He was sitting in his first floor office and was on the phone with his son’s school when the plane hit.

Fuel from the wings led to an explosion upon impact. Hill’s body was on fire. Hill suffered third degree burns to his hands, face, neck and back, and also suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

“The mental side of it seemed to linger a lot longer than the physical side of things,” said Hill who is also a husband and a father of two kids. But Shane does not like to dwell on past. “I feel like I’ve got a good thing going.”

He is in a different type of burn unit today. The Burn Unit is the name of his BBQ cookoff team. The non-profit is full of friends and family whose sole purpose is raising money to help others who have been in Shane’s shoes.

“To me part of the healing process is helping these other people,” said Hill.

The Burn Unit was able to hand over cash to the family of Marcus Newman. The Elgin High School student was severely injured in a propane explosion at his home.

The group also helped out Ann McSwain, a police officer from the Dallas area who was set on fire by a burglary suspect.

“I was able to speak to her on the phone and tell her about myself and my issues and what I went through to maybe help her with what she’s about to go through,” said Shane.

They are just two of more than a dozen the BBQ crew has been able to help thanks to sponsors and donors.

Hill said 100-percent of the proceeds go to help others — and not just burn victims, but those suffering from PTSD, veterans and anyone else they find who needs help.

Click here to learn how to help The Burn Unit carry out their mission, and enjoy their cooking at the next event.

http://www.burnunitbbq.com/

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: « 1 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.