March 19, 2024, 01:54:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cruise Liner Costa Concordia Aground in Italy - 30 Dead & 2 Unaccounted For  (Read 209843 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #260 on: March 10, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/09/choppy-waters-ahead-for-carnival-ceo-speaks-out/

Choppy Waters Ahead For Carnival; CEO Speaks Out

DORAL (CBSMiami) – The fire-damaged Costa Allegra will never again sail for Costa Cruise lines, the subsidiary of Doral based Carnival Cruise Lines said Friday, but despite the line’s problems including the sinking of the Costa Concordia Carnival CEO Mickey Arison said Costa will remain part of Carnival.

In his first interview since the Concordia smashed into rocks near the Italian island of Gigli, damaging the hull and sending it on it’s side to the bottom, Arison defended his personal silence after the disaster, telling CBS4 news partner The Miami Herald that his appearance at the crash site would have been a diversion.

Arison said he didn’t feel it was necessary to “get in front of a camera” after the sinking. “Obviously, I am very sorry it happened,” he said. “When you have 100 ships out there, sometimes unfortunate things happen, but as I said, it was an accident.”

::snipping2::

BBM

The article is saying the Costa Allegra will never sail again for Costa Lines, but it doesn't really say what will happen to the ship.  Maybe insurance will take care of the loss for Costa and then it will be resold, repaired and it will sail again under a different name under a different company. 
From what I've read about the Allegra, she was older, smaller and from the pictures I've seen, not that luxurious.  The fire on board that caused the ship to strand passengers in poor conditions would be remembered by prospective passengers if the Allegra went back into service for Costa imo. Coupled with the Costa Concordia tragedy, I think maybe Costa is trying to move past all the bad mojo.  Not putting the Allegra back into service with Costa is part of distancing from that.  JMHO 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:53:22 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #261 on: March 10, 2012, 08:47:08 AM »

http://www.cruise-community.com/News/News-Headlines/Arison-opens-up-about-Costa-Concordia-says-ship-is-a-total-loss.html

Arison opens up about Costa Concordia, says ship is a total loss

Costa Concordia will not sail again for Carnival Corp. & plc, Micky Arison told Seatrade Insider on Friday in one of his first interviews after the deadly wreck. He also described the ‘terrible feeling’ of first hearing about the accident, underscored the staying power of the Costa brand and praised the crew for evacuating more than 4,000 people.

Arison said the cost of repairing Concordia would be greater than the value of the ship, which will become the property of the underwriters who’ll decide whether to sell or scrap it.

It doesn't surprise me the Costa Concordia is considered a total loss.  What a mess.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #262 on: March 10, 2012, 01:36:47 PM »

http://www.agi.it/english-version/italy/elenco-notizie/201203101903-cro-ren1067-concordia_fuel_pumping_operations_stalled_by_strong_winds
Concordia fuel pumping operations stalled by strong winds
March 10, 2012

19:03 10 MAR 2012

(AGI) Roma - Fuel tank pumping operations at the Costa Concordia were suspended due to bad weather. Engineers in charge of operations informed that strong northerly winds have hindered progress. Navy and Fire Brigade divers inspected the ship's hull, inside and out, as part of routine searches and to remove measurement instruments deployed during dives in the week.

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #263 on: March 11, 2012, 09:02:24 AM »

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/09/choppy-waters-ahead-for-carnival-ceo-speaks-out/

Choppy Waters Ahead For Carnival; CEO Speaks Out

DORAL (CBSMiami) – The fire-damaged Costa Allegra will never again sail for Costa Cruise lines, the subsidiary of Doral based Carnival Cruise Lines said Friday, but despite the line’s problems including the sinking of the Costa Concordia Carnival CEO Mickey Arison said Costa will remain part of Carnival.

In his first interview since the Concordia smashed into rocks near the Italian island of Gigli, damaging the hull and sending it on it’s side to the bottom, Arison defended his personal silence after the disaster, telling CBS4 news partner The Miami Herald that his appearance at the crash site would have been a diversion.

Arison said he didn’t feel it was necessary to “get in front of a camera” after the sinking. “Obviously, I am very sorry it happened,” he said. “When you have 100 ships out there, sometimes unfortunate things happen, but as I said, it was an accident.”

BBM

The article is saying the Costa Allegra will never sail again for Costa Lines, but it doesn't really say what will happen to the ship.  Maybe insurance will take care of the loss for Costa and then it will be resold, repaired and it will sail again under a different name under a different company. 
From what I've read about the Allegra, she was older, smaller and from the pictures I've seen, not that luxurious.  The fire on board that caused the ship to strand passengers in poor conditions would be remembered by prospective passengers if the Allegra went back into service for Costa imo. Coupled with the Costa Concordia tragedy, I think maybe Costa is trying to move past all the bad mojo.  Not putting the Allegra back into service with Costa is part of distancing from that.  JMHO 

I'll keep my ears open if I hear what will become of the Allegra. I agree that the damage (at least what I've seen reported) would not warrant the 'destruction' of the vessel. And I agree that Costa is very 'image' concerned and is probably being advised what 'damage control' to put in place.

This week the annual global industry 'convention', called 'Sea Trade', will be held in Miami Beach. I'll check to see if anything of interest is released from there. There's a 'state of the industry' panel on Tuesday morning (usually all of the large cruise line Presidents or COO's participate) - I don't have a pass to watch the panel discussion this year, but I'm sure I'll hear about it after the fact as I do have a pass to get into the Exhibits.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #264 on: March 11, 2012, 09:18:32 AM »

Thank you Sharon. If you can find out the fate of the Costa Allegra and any news you can share with us about what's going on in the cruise industry would be interesting and also appreciated.    

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #265 on: March 11, 2012, 11:46:28 PM »

http://www.agi.it/english-version/italy/elenco-notizie/201203111856-cro-ren1057-bad_weather_delays_costa_concordia_fuel_recovery_ops
Bad weather delays Costa Concordia fuel recovery ops
March 11, 2012

In a separate story, Italian navy scuba divers have been preparing a small radio controlled robot (Remote Operator Vehicle) capable of exploring areas of the ship that cannot be reached by divers. . .

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #266 on: March 12, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »

http://www.agi.it/english-version/italy/elenco-notizie/201203121943-cro-ren1084-operations_to_empty_costa_concordia_s_fuel_tanks_resume
Operations to empty Costa Concordia's fuel tanks resume
March 12, 2012

AGI) Rome- Conditions at sea have improved near the vessel, allowing technicians from Smit Salvage and Neri to resume their work. Sources in the Civil Defence confirmed that operations recommenced at the crack of dawn on Monday following a notable reduction in winds from the North; the Meloria pontoon, flanked by the Caronte vessel, was brought back to the Costa Concordia's central hull, allowing the two companies' teams to continue the fuel evacuation procedures.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #267 on: March 12, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »

http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/articles/2012/03/12/robot_like_equipment_to_aid_search_for_ship_bodies/
Robot-like equipment to aid search for ship bodies
March 12, 2012

ROME—Italian authorities say they are planning to use "sophisticated robot-like equipment" to help rescuers find the bodies of seven people still missing in the wreckage of the Costa Concordia cruise liner.

The Italian Civil Protection agency says the goal is to use the machines to search areas that divers have difficulty accessing.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #268 on: March 12, 2012, 07:03:49 PM »

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/europe/italy/120312/costa-concordia-robots-called-retrieve-remaining-bodies
Costa Concordia: robots called in to retrieve remaining bodies
March 12, 2012

Navy and fire department divers have for weeks been scouring the submerged half of the cruise liner but seven bodies, believed to be in inaccessible areas, have yet to be found. ::snipping2::

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #269 on: March 13, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Costa+Concordia+French+German+victims+Italy+shipwreck+identified/6294210/story.html
Costa Concordia: French, German victims of Italy shipwreck identified
Agence France-Presse
March 13, 2012

ROME - The bodies of a young French couple and three German tourists on board the shipwrecked Costa Concordia cruise liner have been formally identified, local authorities said in a statement Tuesday.

Officials also identified the bodies of a five-year-old Italian girl, Dayana, and her father Williams Arlotti.
The families of the French couple, 25-year-old Michael Blemand and 23-year-old Mylene Litzler, have been in Italy for weeks awaiting news of their loved ones and visiting the scene of the disaster on Giglio Island.
The three German victims were identified as Elisabeth Bauer, Brunhild Werp and Margrit Schroeter, according to a statement from the prefecture in Grosseto, the town closest to Giglio, where an investigation is under way.

Eight people are still officially reported as missing, including three Germans, an American couple, two Italians and an Indian crew member.

The 24 identified so far are nine Germans, six French, five Italians, two Peruvians, one Hungarian and one Spaniard.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #270 on: March 13, 2012, 05:44:53 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/wireStory/cruise-industry-leaders-emphasize-safety-15911798
Cruise Industry Leaders Look Past Concordia Deaths
By Mitch Stacy, Associated Press
March 13, 2012

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #271 on: March 13, 2012, 09:06:02 PM »

http://www.cruise-community.com/News/News-Headlines/Carnivals-Frank-speaks-from-the-heart-about-Concordia.html

Carnival’s Frank speaks from the heart about Concordia

The deadly Costa Concordia capsize deeply affected Carnival Corp. & plc and the entire industry, said vice chairman Howard Frank, who delivered the Cruise Shipping Miami keynote address as chairman of Cruise Lines International Association.

‘As a shipowner, there is nothing more heart-wrenching than the loss of your passengers and crew members,’ Frank told the CSM audience in a voice sometimes cracking with emotion.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #272 on: March 15, 2012, 10:59:45 AM »

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/15/costa-concordia-wreck-could-be-salvaged-by-dutch-company-but-it-will-cost-far-beyond-e100m/
Costa Concordia wreck could be salvaged by Dutch company, but it will cost ‘far beyond’ €100M
March 15, 2012

AMSTERDAM — Dutch maritime services company Boskalis has made a bid to salvage the wreck of the Costa Concordia cruise liner, which capsized off the Italian coast in January, Boskalis’ chief executive Peter Berdowski said on Thursday.
It will cost “far beyond” US$130-million (€100-million) to raise the 114,500 metric tonne (126,215 tons), 290 metre long ship in one piece, Berdowski told reporters.

“This is an operation without precedent. You have to imagine a big fat whale the size of a block of flats lying on its side, accidentally supported by two rocks,” Berdowski said.
It will take up to a year to remove the Costa Concordia, the ship’s owner Costa Cruises, a unit of Carnival Cruises & Plc, said last week.

Six companies submitted offers to salvage the wreck. Among them are believed to be Titan Salvage, owned by U.S. group Crowley Maritime Corp, and Denmark’s Svitzer, owned by Maersk.

Berdowski said Boskalis, and possibly some rivals, had proposed to refloat it whole, which is the more expensive option, while others had offered to cut up the lighter upper decks and refloat the heavier hull.

Insurers will play an important part in deciding which option is preferable.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #273 on: March 15, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17384396
Ship's bell 'goes missing' from sunken Costa Concordia
The ship's bell of the Costa Concordia, which ran aground off Italy two months ago, is reported to have gone missing.
March 15, 2012

An investigation has been launched into the disappearance, the Italian news agency Ansa reports.

Pictures of the bell, taken underwater by divers soon after the vessel sank, became a well-known image associated with the disaster.
Soon after the Costa Concordia capsized, images taken by divers showed the bell still hanging in position on the wreck, but several metres under water.

The location of the wreck, off the island of Giglio, is considered a crime scene and is continually patrolled by coastguard launches.

The BBC's Rome correspondent, Alan Johnston, says this would make it almost impossible for any diver intending to loot the wreck to enter and steal the bell.

He says it is likely that if the bell's disappearance is confirmed, suspicion will focus on the search-and-rescue teams, who have constant access to the wreck.

It would have been difficult to get the large, heavy and gleaming bell onto the shore unnoticed - and it is possible that it has simply dislodged itself, he adds.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #274 on: March 15, 2012, 04:23:38 PM »

I think the theft of the bell has to do with $$$.  JMHO

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-57398141-503543/thieves-take-bell-from-costa-concordia-wreck/
Thieves take bell from Costa Concordia wreck
March 15, 2012

ROME, March 15 - Thieves have stolen the shipwrecked Costa Concordia's bell, evading an array of lasers and 24-hour surveillance by the Italian coast guard and police, Reuters reported Thursday.

The bell, with the words Costa Concordia written around it, is believed to be have been taken two weeks ago from one of the ship's decks, which is submerged in 26 feet of water.

Prosecutors have opened an investigation and suspect multiple people were involved in stealing the heavy bell.
Giglio mayor Sergio Ortelli told Reuters, "I can only guess that someone took it as a sort of morbid memento."

"In my mind, the missing bell is of no importance," Ortelli said. He said divers had found the ship's statue of the Madonna from the chapel which "for us has much more symbolic meaning."

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #275 on: March 17, 2012, 11:27:34 AM »

Interesting change, as previously Coast Guard only observed/inspected crew boat drills. Now they will observe/inspect pax boat drills as well.

http://www.cruise-community.com/News/News-Headlines/Post-Concordia-USCG-observes-passenger-drills-plans-no-new-rules-ahead-of-Italys-probe.html

Post-Concordia, USCG observes passenger drills, plans no new rules ahead of Italy’s probe

After the Costa Concordia wreck, the US Coast Guard has begun observing passenger muster drills as part of its routine cruise ship inspections but does not plan to institute any new safety rules prior to the completion of Italy’s accident investigation, a USCG official said at Cruise Shipping Miami.

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #276 on: March 17, 2012, 11:29:25 AM »

http://www.cruise-community.com/News/News-Headlines/CLIA-urges-IMO-to-stress-mandatory-reporting-of-casualties.html

CLIA urges IMO to stress mandatory reporting of casualties

In the latest action to spring from the cruise industry’s post-Costa Concordia operational safety review, Cruise Lines International Association has asked the International Maritime Organization to emphasize the timely reporting of marine casualties.

At a Cruise Shipping Miami session on Thursday, CLIA evp Michael Crye said more transparency in the reporting of casualties would benefit IMO Member States in their efforts to improve maritime safety while also benefiting the maritime industry and the public.

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #277 on: March 17, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »

Not really related to the Concordia, but I've been following this story since it broke.  WTF was this passenger thinking ?      I hope he is banned from ever being allowed onboard ANY cruise line ever again 

http://cnd-cruiseblogger.blogspot.com/2012/03/video-of-passenger-releasing-anchor.html

Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Video of Passenger Releasing Anchor aboard Holland America Ryndam in 2010

A man was sentenced yesterday in Federal court for entering a restricted area aboard Holland America's Ryndam in November 2010 and deploying the ship's 18-ton stern anchor while the ship was traveling at about 18 knots through the Gulf of Mexico.

According to the US attorney, the ship could have been severely damaged to the point it would have sunk. Fortunately, the ship was in water more than a mile deep, and the anchor chain was only about 600 feet long, so there was no damage to the ship.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #278 on: March 17, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »

Not really related to the Concordia, but I've been following this story since it broke.  WTF was this passenger thinking ?      I hope he is banned from ever being allowed onboard ANY cruise line ever again 

http://cnd-cruiseblogger.blogspot.com/2012/03/video-of-passenger-releasing-anchor.html

Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Video of Passenger Releasing Anchor aboard Holland America Ryndam in 2010

A man was sentenced yesterday in Federal court for entering a restricted area aboard Holland America's Ryndam in November 2010 and deploying the ship's 18-ton stern anchor while the ship was traveling at about 18 knots through the Gulf of Mexico.

According to the US attorney, the ship could have been severely damaged to the point it would have sunk. Fortunately, the ship was in water more than a mile deep, and the anchor chain was only about 600 feet long, so there was no damage to the ship.

ITA!!  I hope he's banned too!!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #279 on: March 18, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/dubaisat-takes-stunning-shot-of-costa-concordia-2012-03-18-1.449047
Dubaisat takes stunning shot of Costa Concordia
EIAST sympathises with victims of disaster and their families

March 18, 2012

Dubaisat-1 took an image of Costa Concordia, the ill-fated cruise liner that partially sank on the night of 13th January 2012 during dinner time. The ship hit a reef off the Italian coast near Tuscany.

(Photo at Link)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.