March 29, 2024, 08:47:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cruise Liner Costa Concordia Aground in Italy - 30 Dead & 2 Unaccounted For  (Read 210098 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #180 on: February 06, 2012, 03:08:10 PM »

http://gcaptain.com/costa-concordia-interview-michael/?39203
Costa Concordia, Interview With Michael Crye of CLIA
By John Konrad
February 6, 2012

Interview: Michael Crye
Michael Crye is the executive vice president of the Cruise Lines International Association, the world's largest cruise association. In this interview, Crye responds to concerns that cruising is unsafe.

Video at Link

Full video interview:  http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2011-2012/thewreckofthecostaconcordia/michaelcrye.html

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #181 on: February 06, 2012, 03:12:42 PM »

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/06/hearing-set-for-italian-cruise-ship-captain-under-house-arrest/
Hearing set for Italian cruise ship captain under house arrest
February 6, 2012

A closed-door hearing to determine whether the captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship should remain under house arrest is set for Monday.

Francesco Schettino faces possible charges of manslaughter, shipwreck and abandoning ship after the vessel struck rocks and rolled onto its side in the waters off the Italian island of Giglio on January 13.
 ::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #182 on: February 06, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2097241/Costa-Concordia-Calls-Captain-Coward-Francesco-Schettino-face-2-697-years-jail.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
Calls for Costa Concordia's 'Captain Coward' to face 2,697 years in jail... as prosecutors demand he is sent back to prison
February 6, 2012

Last month an investigating judge granted Schettino house arrest and he is currently serving that at his home in Meta di Sorrento near Naples, which he shares with his wife Fabiola and teenage daughter.

Today, in a three hour closed door hearing in Florence before an appeal court judge, prosecutors argued he be sent back to jail as they fear he may well interfere with evidence and the fact that he fled his ship also raises the possibility he may try and avoid justice.

Lead investigator Francesco Verusio is looking for Schettino to be given 15 years for multiple manslaughter, ten years for causing a disaster and eight years for every passenger that was abandoned and the same sentence for those that died, with all terms running consecutively.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #183 on: February 06, 2012, 06:46:56 PM »

http://www.leaderpost.com/Regina+woman+waiting+compensation+after+Concordia+disaster/6100732/story.html
Regina woman waiting for compensation after Concordia disaster

By Joe Couture, The StarPhoenix
 February 6, 2012

REGINA -- Though it has been three weeks since a Saskatchewan woman and her mother escaped the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship off the coast of Italy, they haven't received any reimbursement and they still aren't sure if they will.
The company said it will cover the roughly $2,000 cost of flights and the cruise. But a letter detailing that settlement that was supposed to arrive Monday hadn't shown up by Friday. A call to the company indicated it could take more time, she said.

There is also still no clarity on what, if any, compensation Megan might receive for the belongings she had on the boat. She packed most of her clothes - for what was to be a two-week trip in total complete with formal dinners on the ship - as well as many other belongings.

"I have fantastic co-workers and fantastic friends, because nothing I'm wearing I actually own," Megan said. "They're lending me stuff. I work two jobs. Clearly, I don't have money to go out and replace thousands of dollars worth of clothes."

Meanwhile, the Transat travel insurance she bought through Marlin Travel doesn't seem to be helping either; the insurance company has offered to reimburse her the $2,000 and any possessions she has receipts for up to $1,500. But, that's on the condition that Costa doesn't pay her. If she gets money from the cruise line, she must pay all of the insurance back.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #184 on: February 07, 2012, 11:28:59 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/02/06/italian-court-to-rule-by-thursday-on-shipwreck-captains-bail-conditions/
Italian court to rule by Thursday on shipwreck captain's bail conditions
February 6, 2012

FLORENCE, Italy -- The captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise liner will find out by Thursday if he is to be released on bail, remain under house arrest or be sent to jail over last month's disaster, which claimed 32 lives.

Prosecutors told a hearing in Florence that Francesco Schettino -- who is accused of manslaughter and abandoning his ship ahead of his passengers -- is a flight risk and that he should be incarcerated rather than continue to be held under house arrest at his home in Meta di Sorrento, near Naples.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #185 on: February 07, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Undersea-prep-resumes-for-ship-s-oil-removal-3050516.php
Undersea prep resumes for ship's oil removal
February 5, 2012

ROME (AP) — Underwater operations have resumed aimed at readying the shipwrecked Costa Concordia for the removal of tons of oil from its tanks.

After days of stormy weather, seas off the Tuscan island of Giglio were calm enough Sunday to resume work.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #186 on: February 07, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02/07/costa-concordia-captain-francesco-schettino-must-remain-under-house-arrest-court-rules/
Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino must remain under house arrest, court rules
February 7, 2012

FLORENCE, Italy — An Italian court ruled Tuesday that Francesco Schettino, the captain of the cruise liner that ran aground and capsized off the island of Giglio, killing at least 17 people, must remain under house arrest.
In confirming that he must remain under house arrest, the Florence court rejected the pleas of both the prosecutors, who argued that he should return to prison, and Schettino’s lawyer, who had requested that he be completely set free.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2012, 07:17:34 AM »

http://www.hydro-international.com/news/id5324-ROV_Survey_of_Grounding_Site_Costa_Concordia_video.html
ROV Survey of Grounding Site Costa Concordia (video)

February 8, 2012

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #188 on: February 08, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »

http://www.petergreenberg.com/2012/02/08/no-one-should-have-died-a-passengers-account-of-the-costa-concordia/
No One Should Have Died: A Passenger’s Account of the Costa Concordia
February 8, 2012

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2012, 08:27:20 AM »

While on our cruise last week, I have to say that I was a lot more aware of what was going on around me for safety reasons because if this cruise accident. My mind wandered over and over again of the horror that these passengers went through...on our ship, safety was priority...the muster drill was right away. I listened intently....on another note, the cruise ship at Port Everglades that has had the virus on it was at port when we were leaving.  We did not know at that time what was going on but we knew that it was unusual for the ship to be there when it was...now we know why. That same ship was in port 2 days early again for the same reason..now it has to under go a totally thorough cleaning...don't think I would want to cruise any time soon after getting sick on board.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2012, 09:27:09 AM »

Hi cookie!    I hope you and your husband were able to enjoy your cruise, despite the recent events with the Costa Concordia.  I too would have that on my mind and to think back on it would be only natural.  The passengers on the Costa Concordia would have been folks like you, going for a holiday.  However, I'm glad to see you report the muster drill was done immediately and that you listened to directions.  If this had been done on the Costa Concordia, it may have saved lives.

When I read about the outbreak of noro-virus on a couple of the cruise ships, I thought how awful this had to be for the passengers.  They paid money, set aside time and went off for a holiday cruise only to be cabin bound with illness.  And for some passengers, the virus can be life threatening.     There's never a good time for virus's to strike a ship, but on the heels of the Costa Concordia grounding, it's really bad for the travel industry. 

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2012, 10:05:41 AM »

Hi Muffers...I also felt that the crew on our ship were professionals who would know what to do if a disaster struck...very good feeling to have after the Costa..we said to our friends more than once that the passengers on the Costa were just like us..on holiday to enjoy themselves, celebrate an occasion etc. How very sad and horrific for them....thank God for the survivors who managed to save themselves and other passengers.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2012, 10:42:06 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9072265/Costa-Concordia-divers-launch-rescue-mission-for-boys-teddy-bear.html
Costa Concordia: divers launch rescue mission for boy's teddy bear
By Nick Squires, Rome
February 9, 2012

The child's father told rescuers that the little boy had been unable to sleep since the disaster and desperately missed his toy.

He wrote to islanders who had given shelter to him and his son after they were brought ashore when the 950ft long vessel ran aground on the Italian island of Giglio on the night of Jan 13.

Islanders passed the letter to the island's mayor, Sergio Ortelli, who in turn gave it to rescue divers, who entered the hull on a special mission, finding the cabin where the boy had been staying and retrieving the soft toy – bedraggled but intact.

Bad weather has repeatedly forced divers to suspend their operations in the hull of the crippled ship but they took advantage of a break in the weather earlier this week to go back in – a welcome break from the grim task of looking for bodies.

They found the bear hidden in a tangle of debris – overturned tables, chairs, mattresses and scattered luggage.
Rescuers sent the teddy bear back to the boy, who lives with his father in Verona in northern Italy, having lost his mother some years ago.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2012, 08:38:26 AM »

BBM - Schettino's career be d***ed at that point.  Instead of sulking around in a lifeboat he should have been on the ship helping save the passengers and crew.  Bringing the ship onto the rocks in the first place was one thing, but to me, his failure to take action to save  the over 4,000 souls on the ship he captained requires severe penalties for him.  How could he abandon those so in need that were entrusted to his care?   

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/10/uk-italy-ship-schettino-idUSLNE81900720120210
Captain at centre of cruise ship disaster
By Laura Viggiano and James Mackenzie
February 10, 2012

(Reuters) - Francesco Schettino, the captain of the doomed cruise liner Costa Concordia, knew as soon as his ship struck a rock off the island of Giglio on January 13 that he had made a catastrophic error and a 30-year career at sea was ending in disgrace.

Bringing the 114,500 tonne vessel to within a stone's throw of shore, he had intended to perform a "salute" to the island for the benefit of Antonello Tievoli, the ship's head waiter and a native of Giglio.

But as he came to within a quarter of a nautical mile of the coast, in water he believed to be deep enough to be safe, he saw foam breaking on what appeared to be a submerged outcrop and turned sharply, exposing the side of the hull to the sharp rock.
Schettino himself insisted that he had tried unsuccessfully to return to the ship after falling on to the roof of a lifeboat, but he admitted that he had been devastated by the disaster.

"Everyone had lifevests on, but for me...well my life at that moment had been destroyed, I wasn't interested in lifevests ... it was over for me," he said.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2012, 08:42:19 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9073879/Cruise-ships-introduce-mandatory-pre-departure-safety-drills.html
Cruise ships introduce mandatory pre-departure safety drills
February 10, 2012

Cruise passengers will now be obliged to attend a pre-departure safety drill after the industry's governing bodies announced new safety measures following the Costa Concordia disaster.

The Cruise Lines International Association, European Cruise Council and Passenger Shipping Association said the muster drills would now be obligatory on their ships before departure.

Yesterday's announcement followed a review of safety measures prompted by the grounding of the Italian ship.
Current legal guidelines under the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea decree only that a muster drill should take place within 24 hours of embarkation.

If passengers arrive after the muster has been completed, they will be obliged to carry out individual or group safety briefings.

The new policy is effective immediately.

A full copy of the new rules can be viewed here: http://www.cruising.org/regulatory/cruise-industry-policies

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2012, 09:57:26 AM »

You're so much faster than me, MuffyBee Smile  Thanks for keeping the topic updated so well.

http://www.cruise-community.com/News/News-Headlines/Cruise-industry-adopts-new-emergency-drill-policy-in-response-to-Concordia.html

The Cruise Lines International Association, European Cruise Council and Passenger Shipping Association put forward the new policy with the support of their member cruise lines.

The new muster policy, which has been voluntarily initiated by the associations’ members and is effective immediately, exceeds existing legal requirements by calling for the mandatory muster of all embarking passengers prior to departure from port.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2012, 10:02:43 AM »

http://cnd-cruiseblogger.blogspot.com/2012/02/video-why-fuel-cant-be-removed-from.html

Friday, February 10, 2012
Video: Why the Fuel Can't Be Removed from Costa Concordia
Smit Salvage has been ready to removed the fuel from the sunken Costa Concordia for two weeks, since January 28 (2012), but sea conditions have prevented the pumping phase of the operation from beginning. This video, shot late yesterday, very graphically shows the sea conditions at the wreckage and makes the delay very understandable.

New data released yesterday says that the ship has moved two feet since the January 13 accident. In the video, it's also easy to see why conditions inside the ship have deteriorated with so many access points now open (including the retractable dome over the swimming pool now disengaged) allowing so much water to move through the ship.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2012, 10:51:55 AM »

http://cnd-cruiseblogger.blogspot.com/2012/02/video-why-fuel-cant-be-removed-from.html

Friday, February 10, 2012
Video: Why the Fuel Can't Be Removed from Costa Concordia
Smit Salvage has been ready to removed the fuel from the sunken Costa Concordia for two weeks, since January 28 (2012), but sea conditions have prevented the pumping phase of the operation from beginning. This video, shot late yesterday, very graphically shows the sea conditions at the wreckage and makes the delay very understandable.

New data released yesterday says that the ship has moved two feet since the January 13 accident. In the video, it's also easy to see why conditions inside the ship have deteriorated with so many access points now open (including the retractable dome over the swimming pool now disengaged) allowing so much water to move through the ship.

I watched the video clip in the article and the water really is rough.   

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2012, 05:26:02 PM »

http://www.indcatholicnews.com/news.php?viewStory=19815
Mass to mark sinking of Costa Concordia
February 10, 2012

Bishop Guglielmo Borghetti of Pitigliano, will celebrate Mass on the  island of Giglio to remember those killed on the cruise liner Costa Concordia.

The Mass will be celebrated in the church of St Lawrence on Monday February 13, exactly one month after the tragedy.

Locals and families of those killed or injured on the ship are expected to attend. The Catholic maritime charity Apostleship of the  Sea provided assistance to passengers and crew through its cruise chaplain on board.  The AoS also assisted victims coming ashore in the nearby port of Savona.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2012, 12:58:33 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16995552
Concordia: New video footage shows confusion on bridge
February 12, 2012

Video at Link

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.