March 19, 2024, 12:07:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Natalee Holloway Case Discussion # 864 2/07/12 - 5/03/12  (Read 430387 times)
Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #840 on: April 25, 2012, 10:44:16 PM »

WHEN  he is extradited to Alabama- where will he go?  Birmingham - anyone know?

I am sitting on G waiting on O.

My bet is Birmingham.  Wasn't the Birmingham FBI in charge of some of the stuff?
My GUESS is that it would be tried in the nearest FEDERAL district court to Alabama. However, with the notoriety -- it could be moved to another jurisdiction.

There is Federal Court in Birmingham, but I think the indictment came out of way North
Alabama.....somewhere up close to Anna.

The will of heaven be done in this and all things.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #841 on: April 25, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »

Maybe he'll go to this court? 

http://blog.al.com/wire/2012/01/peruvian_court_sentence_joran.html

Updated: Peruvian court sentences Joran van der Sloot to 28 years in prison (video)
Published: Friday, January 13, 2012, 11:46 AM     Updated: Friday, January 13, 2012, 12:54 PM

::snipping2::

Van der Sloot has been a primary suspect since Holloway's disappearance but no one has formally been charged with her death. However, Van der Sloot was charged in U.S. District Court in Birmingham in 2010 with attempting to extort money from Natalee Holloway's mother for information in the teen's disappearance.

Federal officials have said they hope to eventually have him brought to the U.S. to face those charges in court.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #842 on: April 25, 2012, 10:59:23 PM »

Joran van der Sloot Charged with Fraud and Extortion in Birmingham

U.S. Attorney’s Office
June 03, 2010

Northern District of Alabama
(205) 244-2001

BIRMINGHAM—Federal prosecutors in Birmingham have filed a criminal complaint against JORAN VAN DER SLOOT, a citizen of the Netherlands, on wire fraud and extortion charges in connection with his soliciting money in May on promises he would reveal the location of Natalee Holloway’s remains in Aruba and circumstances of her death, U.S. Attorney Joyce White Vance and FBI Special Agent in Charge Patrick Maley announced today.

“We are committed to protecting citizens from unscrupulous individuals who attempt to financially exploit a person’s deepest fears and greatest loss,” Vance said.

The wire fraud and extortion charges are unrelated to the ongoing murder investigation in Peru, in which van der Sloot is an alleged person of interest.

Vance said her office filed the two-count criminal complaint today in U.S. District Court in Birmingham.

The complaint charges that van der Sloot, on May 10, extorted $15,000 from an individual as partial payment toward his promise to reveal the location of Natalee Holloway’s remains for $250,000. The maximum sentence on the extortion count is 20 years in prison.

The complaint also charges van der Sloot with wire fraud for causing the $15,000 to be transferred by wire from a Birmingham bank to a bank in the Netherlands in furtherance of his scheme to defraud. The maximum sentence for the wire fraud count is 30 years.

Vance thanked Aruban authorities for the assistance they provided in this investigation.

Members of the public are reminded that the criminal complaint contains only charges. A defendant is presumed not guilty.

http://www.fbi.gov/birmingham/press-releases/2010/bh_060310.htm

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #843 on: April 26, 2012, 12:03:21 AM »

http://www.boston.com/news/world/latinamerica/articles/2012/04/25/extradition_hearing_set_for_van_der_sloot_in_peru/

Extradition hearing set for Van der Sloot in Peru
April 25, 2012

LIMA, Peru—A Peruvian judge has set a May 8 hearing to consider a U.S. request to extradite convicted killer Joran van der Sloot so he can be tried for extortion in connection with the unsolved 2005 disappearance of Alabama teenager Natalie Holloway.

Lima's Superior Court said in a communique Wednesday that after the hearing the case will go to Peru's Supreme Court, then to the council of ministers.

The council will ultimately decide whether to extradite the Dutchman, who was sentenced in January to 28 years in prison for killing a Lima business student.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #844 on: April 26, 2012, 12:35:28 AM »

Joran will visit on May 8 by Judge

LIMA - Joran gets on May 8 visited in his cell by a Peruvian court in connection with the extradition request from the United States. That was justice in the Peruvian capital Lima on Wednesday (local time) unknown. Van der Sloot accuse the U.S. of extortion from the mother of Natalee Holloway.

The visit is part of a procedure in Peru, whether or not to respond to the request for extradition of Americans. The judge shall report to the Supreme Court and this formulates a resolution. That is viewed by the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights. The Ministry makes the decision.

If Van der Sloot is extradited, he goes for his trial to the U.S.. Then he returned to Peru to sit out his remaining sentence. If he is convicted in the United States, it goes after his sentence in Peru to have been served to the prison in the U.S..

In Peru, Van der Sloot sentenced to 28 years in prison and 60,000 euros a small economic damages for the murder and robbery of Peruvian Stephany Flores.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/11999910/__Rechter_bezoekt_Joran__.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #845 on: April 26, 2012, 12:42:54 AM »

Joran van der Sloot ordered to comply with extradition Peru

The Ministry of Justice give its opinion on the request of the U.S. and the government will decide whether to grant extradition of Dutch

The Council of Ministers has the final say on the order of extradition to the U.S. from Dutch Joran van der Sloot, accused of extortion in that country and it plays in our country a sentence of 28 years for killing the young Stephany Flores in the 2010.

The Superior Court of Lima said in a statement about what the extradition process. On May 8, Judge Zenaida Vilca Malpica, in charge of 22 criminal court for Free Prisoners, conduct a diligence in Criminal Stones BBW with the convict Van der Sloot, as part of the extradition process that has been processed in office.

After this hearing, private, and attach by all documents required for extradition, the judge sent the case to the Supreme Court, which issued a resolution which will make the extradition request to the Ministry of Justice and Human rights.

The Commission Responsible for the Study of Active Requests Extradition of the ministry will issue an opinion about it, but be it positive or negative, will the Council of Ministers on accessing or reject the request.

CONVICTION WILL MEET IN PERU
 If extradited, Van der Sloot travel to the U.S. to receive his sentence, after which they return immediately to our country to serve his sentence of 28 years in prison for the murder of Stephany Flores.

The U.S. government has requested the extradition of the Dutch for the crime of extortion, after having asked the mother of Natalee Holloway, the other girl who had allegedly killed, $ 250 000 to find out the whereabouts of her daughter, which occurred in 2005 in the Caribbean island of Aruba.

http://elcomercio.pe/lima/1406676/noticia-joran-van-der-sloot-cumplira-condena-peru-extraditado
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #846 on: April 26, 2012, 11:53:01 AM »

http://www.boston.com/news/world/latinamerica/articles/2012/04/25/extradition_hearing_set_for_van_der_sloot_in_peru/

April 25, 2012

LIMA, Peru—A Peruvian judge has set a May 8 hearing to consider a U.S. request to extradite convicted killer Joran van der Sloot so he can be tried for extortion in connection with the unsolved 2005 disappearance of Alabama teenager Natalie Holloway.

Lima's Superior Court said in a communique Wednesday that after the hearing the case will go to Peru's Supreme Court, then to the council of ministers.

The council will ultimately decide whether to extradite the Dutchman, who was sentenced in January to 28 years in prison for killing a Lima business student.

Thank Grace.

The extradition process is ongoing?  There has yet to be a ruling?

Janet

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #847 on: April 26, 2012, 02:56:05 PM »

April 26, 2012 9:22 AM
Joran van der Sloot Update: Peruvian judge sets May hearing for US extradition request

CBS/AP) LIMA, Peru - A Peruvian judge has set a May 8 hearing to consider a U.S. request to extradite convicted killer Joran van der Sloot so he can be tried for extortion in connection with the unsolved disappearance of Alabama teenager Natalie Holloway in 2005.

Lima's Superior Court says that after the hearing the case will go to Peru's Supreme Court, then to the council of ministers.

<snipped>

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57421789-504083/joran-van-der-sloot-update-peruvian-judge-sets-may-hearing-for-us-extradition-request/

s.t.

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #848 on: April 26, 2012, 03:02:44 PM »

Grace ... I apologize.  I am scanning the articles too quickly.  The word of the article in your post reflect my post.  The media outlets differ.

Janet

_____

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #849 on: April 26, 2012, 03:20:50 PM »

WHEN  he is extradited to Alabama- where will he go?  Birmingham - anyone know?

I am sitting on G waiting on O.

My bet is Birmingham.  Wasn't the Birmingham FBI in charge of some of the stuff?
My GUESS is that it would be tried in the nearest FEDERAL district court to Alabama. However, with the notoriety -- it could be moved to another jurisdiction.

There is Federal Court in Birmingham, but I think the indictment came out of way North
Alabama.....somewhere up close to Anna.

Decatur is the Federal Court for this District.  But I don't remember it being from there.  I have always just assumed that because of the high profile case, it would be in Birmingham or even Montgomery. 

Surely more information will be forthcoming soon.

Time is on our side now. . . .there's a song about that.  But with Joran locked up in Hell on Earth prisons, just about anything further than that just makes me smile.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #850 on: April 26, 2012, 03:32:54 PM »

Here is the original court filing:

http://media.al.com/bn/other/Affidavit%20in%20U.S.%20government%20extortion%20case%20against%20Joran%20van%20der%20Sloot.pdf

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #851 on: April 26, 2012, 03:38:42 PM »

And here is some more info on the court.  Apparently, it is the Bimingham one after all.  Why they call it "Northern District" of Alabama is beyond me as it is pretty well central.  I guess it has to do with assignment of cases maybe with those south of Birmingham going to Montgomery or Mobile.

Or something.  IDK.

https://ecf.alnd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/CourtInfo.pl

PERSONA NON GRATA

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #852 on: April 26, 2012, 10:55:24 PM »

April 25, 2012

Thank Grace.

The extradition process is ongoing?  There has yet to be a ruling?

Janet

Yes, the extradition process is ongoing.  Peru has granted "provisional detention" approval and the final step will be the decision by the Council of Ministers.  However, according to the lawyer, the extradition can be delayed if Joran appeals.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #853 on: April 26, 2012, 11:02:21 PM »

May 8th will be a big day on the SM forum.  There will be a Peruvian hearing in regards to the extradition of Joran van der Sloot to the States to face extortion charges and ... in the Susan Powell case the trial of Steven Powell will begin.  The definition of both Joran van der Sloot and Steven Powell is evil personified.  IMO

Janet

++++

Van der Sloot Set for U.S. Extradition Hearing
Published April 26, 2012

judge in Peru has set a May 8 hearing to consider a U.S. request to extradite convicted killer Joran van der Sloot.

If extradited Van der Sloot can be tried for extortion in connection with the unsolved 2005 disappearance of Alabama teenager Natalie Holloway who many suspect he murdered.

U.S. prosecutors say Van der Sloot extorted $25,000 from Holloway's family, promising then failing to lead it to her body

<snipped>

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/04/26/van-der-sloot-set-for-us-extradition-hearing/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #854 on: April 26, 2012, 11:04:23 PM »

Natalee Holloway’s mother to speak in Canton
Last update Apr 23, 2012 @ 03:44 PM

CANTON — The mother of an Alabama teen who disappeared during a senior class trip in Aruba seven years ago is coming to Canton to talk about her story.

Beth Holloway will speak at the Soroptimist International Midwestern Region conference at 7 p.m. April 27 at the McKinley Grand Hotel in downtown Canton. The soroptimist club is an international service organization aimed at improving the lives of women and girls.

Holloway’s daughter Natalee Holloway was last seen in May 2005. In January of this year, a court declared her dead.

Beth Holloway has addressed audiences the world over, “sharing her message of hope, faith and personal safety,” according to a news release from Alexandra Nicholis Coon, past president of Soroptimist International of Canton/Stark County.

<snipped>

Coon said Beth Holloway hopes to educate people on personal and travel safety and to bring hope to families victimized by abductions.

Tickets are $20 or $10 with a student ID. They are available online through the Soroptimist International of Canton/Stark County website or by phone at 330-416-4567.

http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x1783280166/Natalee-Holloway-s-mother-to-speak-in-Canton

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #855 on: April 26, 2012, 11:04:49 PM »

_____

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #856 on: April 26, 2012, 11:07:51 PM »

The "appeal" is most likely referring to Joran's appeal of the sentence.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/04/24/peru-considers-extraditing-van-der-sloot/

Peru Considers Extraditing Joran Van der Sloot
Published April 24, 2012
Fox News Latino

Altez told Peruvian daily El Comercio he believed that Van der Sloot had appealed his sentence. Once that process resolved, Altez said, his client would most likely be extradited to the United States to be tried and would return to Peru to serve the remainder of his sentence.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/04/24/peru-considers-extraditing-van-der-sloot/#ixzz1tCpHJU34
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #857 on: April 26, 2012, 11:12:05 PM »

The "appeal" is most likely referring to Joran's appeal of the sentence.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/04/24/peru-considers-extraditing-van-der-sloot/

Peru Considers Extraditing Joran Van der Sloot
Published April 24, 2012
Fox News Latino

Altez told Peruvian daily El Comercio he believed that Van der Sloot had appealed his sentence. Once that process resolved, Altez said, his client would most likely be extradited to the United States to be tried and would return to Peru to serve the remainder of his sentence.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/04/24/peru-considers-extraditing-van-der-sloot/#ixzz1tCpHJU34

_____

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #858 on: April 26, 2012, 11:35:20 PM »

Interesting reference information about the extradition treaty between Peru and the United States.   IMO

http://internationalextraditionblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/peru.pdf

BILATERAL EXTRADITION TREATIES
PERU
EXTRADITION TREATY WITH PERU TREATY DOC. 107-6 2001 U.S.T. LEXIS 94 July 26, 2001, Date-Signed
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #859 on: April 27, 2012, 12:36:33 AM »

I may get poo-pooed for this but....I'm not sure that I want Urine to be brought here YET.  I mean, once he's in our system, then he gets much better treatment than he's getting now, plus attys that will prolong the process with endless motions and hearings.  Meanwhile, Urine will be eating 3 squares a day, getting better healthcare than most elderly citizens, education if he wants, all the tv, books, and interviews he can stand.  He'd be in hog heaven if he were moved to a US jail.  Let him stay in Peru for a few more years.  Or at least till he gets a good case of worms. 

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.