March 29, 2024, 04:54:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Getting An Apple Iphone?  (Read 4227 times)
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: June 27, 2007, 09:00:49 PM »

I'm really tempted to buy one. I already have my cell phone service through AT&T, and my contract on my current phone expired in April. I currently pay $40.00 per month for my current service, and the basic Iphone plan is $60.00 per month.

What do you think?

I Stand With The Girl
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 09:17:30 PM »

Quote from: "BTgirl"
I'm really tempted to buy one. I already have my cell phone service through AT&T, and my contract on my current phone expired in April. I currently pay $40.00 per month for my current service, and the basic Iphone plan is $60.00 per month.

What do you think?

I don't know enough about it BT.  When you think about it how much do we really need the internet on our phone.  I know some people might need it to look up information but I will stick with my cell phone for now.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 11:24:53 PM »

BT, I will not purchase one. All I can deal with is my old cell phone which does nothing but make calls and receive calls. I don't need more than that. First of all, I cannot even read the screen without my glasses. I don't need to take pics (can't see the screen clearly), go to the Internet and text message.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 01:04:17 AM »

Quote from: "BTgirl"

What do you think?

The price is right throught AT&T.  I have heard there are some downsides to it.  I heard something about the internet browsing is REAL slow and some other dumb problem.

They do look cool though.   Laughing
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 01:39:42 AM »

My DH got one of the latest all inclusive mobile phones a couple of months ago and after the first bill came in we went back and had most of the fancy features taken off as the extra charges were astronomical.  Charges they tend to "forget" to tell you about.
It is a nice looking phone though  Laughing  Laughing

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 09:33:09 AM »

Based on my experience with any "new" product, it takes a year to work out all the bugs.  I would tend to agree that most of us really do not need to access the internet via our phones.  The other fact is that most of this new technology starts out at a very high price and ends up dropping by almost half after a year or two.

My cell phone expenses have dropped way off these past three years.  I still use the cell phone as much as I did before, but I discovered that the majority of my calls were 2-3 minutes  or less.  I have been using a prepaid plan and my monthly costs average around $ 2 to $ 3 a month now.  The cost is .15 cents a minute, but on a rare occasion where I might talk for 30 minutes the cost is $ 4.50.  This has happened twice in the past three years.  

We have digital phone service here at home because of cable TV & roadrunner.  We can call anywhere in North America the same as a local call.  We travel a great deal and I have received phone calls all over the country.  I have yet to end up in a location where I got charged for roaming.

iPhone sounds great with all the bells and whistles, but I really do not need them.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 11:49:29 AM »

I agree with GOwl, wait for the next iteration for I had one of the first Treo's and it took two iterations to get reliable functions and features.

I do have concerns about the cost, AT&T particularly sticks it to you however they can for additional features/functions too. So be careful with them.

I do have to use internet with smartphone and am getting a blackberry since the Treo's keyboard isn't as easy to use. Like Klaas I've heard the internet download is slow for the iPhone and it's not fast with these smartphones either.

GO - Europe is mostly pay-in-advance and it truly does lower the cost considerably. I wish the US would catch up and quit treating pay in advance as something to penalize those with bad credit with !

I continue to stand with the girl.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 07:36:42 AM »

I agree with the AT&T cost factor.  To buy an iPhone now limits you to only one company and exposes you to undisclosed costs.

The download factor is one that is not always understood.  I get calls from AT&T and other companies to switch my internet service.  The sales departments always claim that there are nearly the same speeds are a much reduced cost.  However, when ask them about the attenuation factor no one seems to know what I am talking about and they have never heard of it.

Attenuation is the reduction in amplitude and intensity of a signal.  The further away from a telephone node you are the poorer the performance.  I had an AT&T technician look into where the nodes were in relationship to my home.  He agreed that there would probably be as much as a 50% reduction in performance due to the distance I was from the node.  We all experience this with our cell phones, but nobody thinks about it when considering internet performance.

I have a cell phone and it works great from my home.  I also use digital phone and I do know if the cable goes down in a storm that I have to use my cell phone for and emergency.  However, the same would be true if a tree drops across the telephone lines.  It is just a matter of using common sense and being prepared.

IndyDan
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 10:44:03 PM »

I'm waiting until the newness wears off.  I already pay thru the nose for Cable Inet access and ATT cellphone.  Eventually the price will come down to where it will be affordable.
I remember when the first VCRs came out, they were close the $2K in price.  Now you buy one for less than $50.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 07:59:34 PM »

I was at the Apple computer store today to pick up a new computer (no they don't sell the iPhone)  We were monitoring eBay.  iPhones were going for anywhere from 1 to 2.5k dollars.  It always happens when there is a limited supply of something.  Some people come out of the woodwork to try and make a buck.

Katysmom
Monkey Junky

Everyone needs a helping hand once in a while

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 09:46:15 AM »

I have never bought a cell phone in my life, but this one is tempting me.  I think we'll wait a while, though, to see if there are any bugs that need to be worked out.

If love could of saved you, you would of lived forever
spooky112483
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 03:55:33 AM »

Both Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck are giving them away,  the two year subscriptions and all for free if you sign up for their FREE newsletter. It's worth a shot, I signed up. It is totally free! all you get is their emailed newsletter FOR FREE and you are in the pool to win. I know I'm not buying one but I signed up to win one!! go to their websites to sign up. again it is completly FREE!!

"They call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
Arubagate2005
Go Lakers!
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 08:10:33 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
BT, I will not purchase one. All I can deal with is my old cell phone which does nothing but make calls and receive calls. I don't need more than that. First of all, I cannot even read the screen without my glasses. I don't need to take pics (can't see the screen clearly), go to the Internet and text message.

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

That's what I've been saying Louise! I need to have my eyes 'fixed' before I got anything like that. I can barely operate my current cell phone  Very Happy

Louise -- when I got my new cell phone (a few months ago) I had to call Nokia. Their 'quick start' instructions explained taking pictures, taking videos, using MS applications, etc.....EVERYTHING --  but how to answer the darn thing  Laughing  Laughing

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 08:29:34 AM »

I can actually be pretty good at figuring out technical things - as long as I'm given incentive, good instructions, and enough time.  Laughing

Once we were having problems with our satellite TV. Hubby (who manages computer network stuff for the state) was on the phone with the satellite people and couldn't follow their instructions. I finally got on the phone instead, and had no problem doing what they wanted done. (Boy, was hubby ticked, LOL). Anyway, I think if I eventually buy an iphone, it will become my new best friend.  Very Happy

I Stand With The Girl
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.