March 28, 2024, 12:45:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Natalee Holloway/Stephany Flores Case Discussion #865 5/02/12 - 7/23/12  (Read 476443 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2012, 12:21:01 AM »

Jammsnana - got you down by the benches.    

alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2012, 10:45:37 AM »

Sorry about using Radar Online but, are the bolded parts correct?
  Van Der Sloot’s Lawyer: ‘It’s A Waste Of Money to Extradite Joran to U.S.
  The longer the confessed killer and his legal team can drag the procedure out, the more chance he has of avoiding being deported at all, as the statute of limitations for the fraud charge which was filed in 2010 is three years.

[/font]
   “The other issue is that wire fraud and extortion in Peru are considered ‘a violation,’ with a maximum sentence of one year. The U.S. has to sentence him according to Peruvian law because of the extradition agreement
http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/05/joran-van-der-sloot-extradition-lawyer-waste-money
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2012, 01:51:58 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/11/tagblogsfindlawcom2012-blotter-idUS43572957320120511

Joran van der Sloot's Extradition to US Not a Done Deal
By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. at FindLaw.com
Fri May 11, 2012 12:39am EDT

::snipping2::
In court on Tuesday, van der Sloot told a judge that he would rather serve out the remainder of his 28-year murder sentence in Peru than be sent to the U.S. Rumor has it his jailed lifestyle is significantly more cushy than it would be in a federal prison.

Despite his objection, most agree that van der Sloot will be extradited at some point in the following months. Per the the U.S.-Peru extradition treaty, an extradition request must be granted if the individual has been charged with an offense punishable by at least a 1-year jail sentence in both countries.
 ::snipping2::

Because the judge approved van der Sloot's provisional detention, it's been implied that extortion and fraud are higher-level crimes in Peru.

Granted, it's still possible that Peru's Supreme Court or government ministers will stop Joran van der Sloot's extradition. His lawyer claims he will not receive a fair trial in this country and that the U.S. will not return him once here, reports ABC News. However, the general consensus is that no one is willing to step in.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2012, 07:51:47 PM »

Sorry about using Radar Online but, are the bolded parts correct?
  Van Der Sloot’s Lawyer: ‘It’s A Waste Of Money to Extradite Joran to U.S.
  The longer the confessed killer and his legal team can drag the procedure out, the more chance he has of avoiding being deported at all, as the statute of limitations for the fraud charge which was filed in 2010 is three years.

[/font]
   “The other issue is that wire fraud and extortion in Peru are considered ‘a violation,’ with a maximum sentence of one year. The U.S. has to sentence him according to Peruvian law because of the extradition agreement
http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/05/joran-van-der-sloot-extradition-lawyer-waste-money
I think many people don't understand the concept of "statute of limitations." It does not mean (in this case 3 years) from the actual crime -- it is from the time LEGAL PROCEEDINGS are initiated. The US government initated legal proceedings way before 3 years were up from the crime date. Statute of Limitations is moot.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2012, 01:32:03 AM »

Original article about the shooting posted April 29th...victim died...five bullet wounds...shot on his front porch...drugs found on him.

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=12630.msg1520995#msg1520995

They have made an arrest in the case.

http://www.24ora.com/local-mainmenu-5/47137-recherche-di-noord-a-detene-john-freddy-sospechoso-di-asesinato-na-bubali

Papiamentu translation:

recherche of north owing to detene john freddy sospechoso of asesinato at bubali

friday, 11 may 2012 22:48

the recherche of north not owing to sosega very by cu the asesinato at north did take lugar. hour cu owing to likida he amaya cu blood frieu at bubali autoridad owing to cuminsa work at once. the victima cu owing to arrive dead hospital was have cierto cantidad of cocaina on his pañanan. the drugs owing to being happen for her unidad crimen organiza cu is haciendo the investigacion for her drugs.

all the time on the caso self recherche of north owing to work of day y night for finalmente place hand on one sospechoso very dangerous self. here is deal of one colombiano john freddy that now is sospechoso in the asesinato. seems cu husticia at aruba conoce much good self y the was close end recientemente for delitonan pisa also.

john freddy y another man more owing to being grab in one barco cla for bandona aruba some day happen. the is illegal at aruba. the wanted owing to leave scondi but recherche of north owing to ask all esnan trahando at platform y aeropuerto for throw good view on esnan cu is leave. principalmente barconan will is good for they wordo listra first cu they leave. esey owing to give his fruto also because abordo of one barco colombiano owing to achieve the two hombernan scondi entrenan john freddy.

the was close for her personal of keep we costa but diabierna hour cu the was cla for bandona aruba the recherchenan of north owing to arrive y detene at once. the is one djaca old cu kizas will not copera very but the recherchenan of north owing to prepara they self much good first cu owing to go over at detencion. good trabao haci y this once more is thanks at the dedicacion cu owing to being haci on the caso here trahando oranan largo.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »

There is a John Freddy Montoya in Aruba.  What are the chances it's the same person?  NOPE, wrong initials.  JFPO

http://www.awe24.com/20120511/10687/Sospechoso_di_asesinato_na_Bubali_ta_den_man_di_autoridad

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:54:04 AM by klaasend » Logged
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »

There is a John Freddy Montoya in Aruba.  What are the chances it's the same person?  NOPE, wrong initials.  JFPO

http://www.awe24.com/20120511/10687/Sospechoso_di_asesinato_na_Bubali_ta_den_man_di_autoridad

From the article, looks like he spent four years in jail in Aruba for drugs.  So if he wasn't there legally, did they deport him and he came right back to keep doing the same thing?  And now he's accused of murder...

Yep, one happy island!   

Papiamentu translation:

sospechoso of asesinato at bubali is in hand of autoridad

23 hora happen come across, 11 of half 2012 12:11

recientemente autoridad owing to place hand on the sospechoso j.f.p.o. that is the sospechoso of owing to asesina the colombiano eduardo fiallos amaya 2 week happen at bubali. informacionnan extra-oficial is indica cu the will owing to being captura on lama in one boat huyendo for colombia. the sospechoso here owing to being deteni at 2007 relaciona cu drugs y owing to leave pound after of 4 year. but apparently now the is go back envolucra his self in the low world.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2012, 02:53:40 PM »

May 8, 2012 6:55pm
Joran Van Der Sloot’s Lawyer Says U.S. Extradition Inevitable

ABC News’ Joe Goldman in Lima, Peru, reports:

The extradition of Joran van der Sloot to the U.S. on charges of wire fraud and extortion in connection with the death of Natalee Holloway will likely take place this summer, his lawyer told ABC News today.

“The power of the United States will assure that Joran has to face a U.S. judge and I think the extradition will happen probably in two or three months,” Maximo Altez  said in an exclusve interview with ABC News.

Altez spoke to ABC News after van der Sloot appeared in a jailhouse courtroom at Piedras Gordas prison, about two hours north of Lima.

Peruvian Judge Zenaida Vilca heard arguments by U.S. Justice Department officials pushing for the extradition while  Altez opposed the move on grounds his client could not receive a fair trial in a U.S. court.

The Dutch national is currently serving a 28-year sentence for the murder of Stephany Flores, a Peruvian woman whom van der Sloot admitted to strangling in his Lima hotel room two years ago.

He is also the main suspect in thedisappearance of Holloway in 2005 on the Caribbean island of Aruba where van der Sloot had lived most of his life.

Van der Sloot, appearing nervous and thinner than in previous appearances, was marched by prison officials to the courtroom, handcuffed and refusing to answer questions posed by nearby reporters.

The maximum-security jail is in a sparsely populated area of rolling desert-like hills. On one of the mountains overlooking the facility is the slogan Cristo Vive (Christ Lives) in huge white block letters and below are the tents of some very poor squatters.

Altz spoke with ABC News after the court appearance and said van der Sloot was “very upset with the prospect of being extradited to the U.S. I haven’t seen Joran so down, so depressed since I took on his defense almost two years ago.”

The extortion and wire fraud charges relate to payments allegedly made to van der Sloot by the Holloway family for information on the whereabouts of their daughter’s body.

In court U.S. legal officials argued that there is evidence that will show that van der Sloot arranged for and accepted those payments. Altez says that van der Sloot was lured into taking those payments and that it wasn’t on his client’s initiative.

Although the judge and other Peruvian legal authorities claim van der Sloot will have to return to Peru to finish out his 28-year sentence, Altez thinks differently.

“Once he’s in the U.S. there are no guarantees that he would not be charged with Holloway’s murder although no such evidence exists,” he said.

The next step involves the judge sending her decision to Peru’s Supreme Court, expected within the next week to 10 days, and the high court then giving its stamp of approval to the extradition. At that point only government ministers or the president can stop the process, which is highly unlikely according to most observers.

“It’s not in our interest that Joran be judged in the U.S. because he is despised there. You could not find an impartial jury to try him,” said Altez, who said he will try to stop the extradition “by all legal means possible.”

<snipped>

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/05/joran-van-der-sloots-lawyer-says-u-s-extradition-inevitable/

s.t.

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2012, 02:56:32 PM »

May 8, 2012 6:55pm
Joran Van Der Sloot’s Lawyer Says U.S. Extradition Inevitable

ABC News’ Joe Goldman in Lima, Peru, reports:

The extradition of Joran van der Sloot to the U.S. on charges of wire fraud and extortion in connection with the death of Natalee Holloway will likely take place this summer, his lawyer told ABC News today.

“The power of the United States will assure that Joran has to face a U.S. judge and I think the extradition will happen probably in two or three months,” Maximo Altez  said in an exclusve interview with ABC News.

<snipped>

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/05/joran-van-der-sloots-lawyer-says-u-s-extradition-inevitable/

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2012, 03:28:50 PM »

It appears that Joran would rather be held in a Peruvian lockup over detention in the U.S.

Janet

+++++

In court on Tuesday, van der Sloot told a judge that he would rather serve out the remainder of his 28-year murder sentence in Peru than be sent to the U.S. Rumor has it his jailed lifestyle is significantly more cushy than it would be in a federal prison.

Despite his objection, most agree that van der Sloot will be extradited at some point in the following months. Per the the U.S.-Peru extradition treaty, an extradition request must be granted if the individual has been charged with an offense punishable by at least a 1-year jail sentence in both countries.

<snipped>

Granted, it's still possible that Peru's Supreme Court or government ministers will stop Joran van der Sloot's extradition. His lawyer claims he will not receive a fair trial in this country and that the U.S. will not return him once here, reports ABC News.  However, the general consensus is that no one is willing to step in.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/11/tagblogsfindlawcom2012-blotter-idUS43572957320120511

s.t.

_____

jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2012, 10:09:58 AM »

It appears that Joran would rather be held in a Peruvian lockup over detention in the U.S.

Janet

Monkey Devil! Monkey Devil! Monkey Devil!

Challapalca him!
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2012, 11:38:40 AM »

Janet

+++++

<snipped>

Van der Sloot faces prisons known for harsh conditions
June 8th, 2010 10:46 PM ET

<snipped>

A 2009 U.S. State Department report on Peru's human rights record noted that while the South American country's government generally respects the human rights of its citizens, prison conditions were harsh for the country's 44,800 inmates - 17,297 of whom were awaiting sentencing as of December 2009, according to the report.

Among the areas of serious concern highlighted were overcrowding, poor sanitation and inadequate nutrition and health care. The San Juan de Lurigancho men's prison held 9,874 prisoners in a facility designed for 3,204 and incidences of tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS were reportedly at near-epidemic levels, according to the report.

"Prisoners with money had access to cell phones, illegal drugs and meals prepared outside the prison. Conditions were poor to extremely harsh in facilities for prisoners who lacked funds," the report said. "Inmates had intermittent access to running water, bathing facilities were inadequate, kitchen facilities were unhygienic, and prisoners slept in hallways and common areas for lack of cell space."

Corruption and professional incompetence were also reported in some of the nation's 71 prisons, 56 of which are operated by The National Penitentiary Institute. The National Police of Peru has jurisdiction over the rest, according to the State Department report.

"There were deaths of inmates in prisons, most attributed to fellow inmates, but some were due to negligence by guards. Guards received little or no training or supervision. Corruption was a serious problem, and some guards cooperated with criminal bosses who oversaw the smuggling of guns and drugs into prisons."

Conditions are especially harsh in the country's maximum security prisons, which are extremely isolated geographically.

One of them, the Challapalca Prison, is in the Andes near the Bolivian border, at an altitude of 15,000 feet above sea level, about 211 kilometers from the nearest city of Puno - a six-hour ride down a dirt road, depending on conditions, according to a 2003 report on the facility by the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights.

There is no regular electricity or running water, and temperatures most of the year hover around 33 degrees Fahrenheit in the day and as low as 4 degrees below zero at night, the report said.

<snipped>

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/08/perus-prisons-overcrowded-unhygienic-at-15000-feet-above-sea-level/

s.t.

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2012, 11:48:02 AM »

Ricardo Flores' anticipated press conference did not happen ... the anticipated press conference exposing special privileges afforded to Joran van der Sloot from the getgo while being detained in a Peruvian lockup.

Nevertheless ... it is my hope that Stephany Flores's father will take advantage of his unimaginable heartbreak ... take advantage of his influencial position in Peruvian society ... to be a voice for his daughter by exposing what he perceives as corruption within the Peruvian Justice System.

Janet

+++++

Van der Sloot Gets 28 Years for Murder in Peru
Jan 13, 2012 6:15 PM EST

<snipped>

After the conviction, the victim’s father, Ricardo Flores, and older brother, Enrique, held a press conference. “We’re about to conclude an investigation, and we hope we’ll be able to release the information on Monday regarding the excess privileges this man has had from the first day of his seclusion,” said Mr. Ricardo Flores.

Flores’s attorney took the microphone and demanded: “How can it be that a person that is in prison is more comfortable than if he were free? We will hold a press conference to present all the irregularities in this man’s imprisonment on Monday.”

“Mr. Flores wants peace for his family. The damage is done and it is beyond repair,” he continued.

<snipped>

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/13/van-der-sloot-gets-28-years-for-murder-in-peru.html

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »

MAKING A DIFFERENCE

Others Might Learn

Loving Natalee
A Mother's Testament of Hope and Faith
By Beth Holloway with Sunny Tillman

Page 189:
    It's the proverbial, Biblical conflict between good and evil.  It's very, very hard to fight evil because it constantly changes form and you never know who your enemies are.  And evil is always two steps ahead. From the outset we never had a chance.  But we didn't know it.  I'm taking leave of the island, but not from the work yet to be done.

Page 200:  My child.  My beautiful daughter.  I can't save her.  It's too late.  Natalee is gone. And second to the great tragedy of losing her is if we fail to learn from what has happened.  I could be any parent in the world.  And no parent should ever go through this experience.  Natalee could be anyone's daughter.  And in these thoughts a new path is made clear.  There is something I can do.  Many people reached out to us, and I can now reach back to them.  It might be too late to save Natalee, but it's not too late to save others.  And it's time now to make good on my pledge. It's time now to make good on my pledge to stand before high-school and college students, law enforcement professionals, victims' rights groups, travelers of all ages, and anyone interested in personal safety to share Natalee's story and our hard lessons, so that others might learn from them.

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2012, 12:13:52 PM »

Beth

You have moved beyond the unimaginable pain of losing your only daughter and ... given unselfishly of yourself to others.  Natalee would be proud of her mother.  Embrace this special day that our Lord has made and ... rejoice in precious memories.

Natalee would be proud!

Happy Mother's Day

Janet

++++++

Natalee's Hero

Loving Natalee
A Mother's Testament of Hope and Faith
By Beth Holloway with Sunny Tillman

As I read on in the journal, I discover that one of the most moving entries is her desription of a hero.  Natalee writes:

A Hero is someone who puts others before himself.  He or she is very selfless and cares about the well-being of others.  Heroes also accept life's challenges and remain strong through tough times.  They also have a strong sense of determination and stick to goals and morals.  I believe that heroes uphold morals and try to encourage others to live life morally correct.  Heroes are not only just people called in times of physical danger, but individuals that can both emotionally and physically help people get through rough times.  A hero should always show respect for other people as well as respect for himself.

Instantly I realize that Natalee is poignantly describing the people who have reached out to help her family get through this "tough time."  It's almost as if she is thanking everyone herself by recognizing the importance of selfless people.  And I am amazed at her profound words here.  I sit and read the entire journal

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2012, 12:14:38 PM »

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »

Joran Van der Sloot to Fight US Extradition from Peru
Published May 09, 2012

The prime suspect in the unsolved 2005 disappearance of American Natalee Holloway, Joran Van der Sloot, told a judge on Tuesday that he will fight extradition from Peru to the United States, where he faces extortion and wire fraud charges in connection with Holloway's disappearance.

Van der Sloot faces an indictment in the U.S. for allegedly accepting $25,000 in early 2010 in exchange for an unfulfilled promise to lead Holloway's mother's lawyer to the body after her disappearance in Aruba.

Judge Zenaida Vilca informed Van der Sloot of the U.S. extradition request during a closed door meeting at Piedras Gordas prison just north of Lima. The 24-year-old Dutchman told the judge he would fight extradition, his lawyer, Maximo Altez, said.

If he stays put, Van der Sloot could be released on parole after serving a third of his 28-year sentence for killing a Lima woman he met at a casino in May 2010, said Altez.

But if he were convicted in the U.S. he likely wouldn't qualify for early parole in Peru. Under the U.S.-Peru extradition treaty he would be returned to Peru to finish out his sentence. Then, if he were convicted in the U.S., he would be sent there to serve the second sentence.

<snipped>

In an interview with ABC news, Altez stated his belief that in the end Van der Sloot will lose his fight to stay in Peru.

“The power of the United States will assure that Joran has to face a U.S. judge and I think the extradition will happen probably in two or three months,” he said

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/05/09/joran-van-der-sloot-to-fight-us-extradition/

_____

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2012, 06:13:38 PM »

http://www.amigoe.com/english/110854-joran-resists-extradition-to-us-

jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2012, 07:02:31 PM »

The trial is scheduled for 2015.

Wow! If extradited in 3 months, and trial scheduled for 2015, that means that he will be in AL jail for almost 3 years prior to trial!

Monkey Devil! Monkey Devil!

Challapalca him!
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »

Note the sentence Joran is facing in the U.S. is 25 years and not the year or so his attorneys try to make it appear.

Joran doesn't seem to want to come to Alabama!  I can't imagine why!  I'm so hurt by his rude attitude.

Monkey Devil!

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.