March 28, 2024, 11:19:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Natalee Holloway/Stephany Flores Case Discussion #865 5/02/12 - 7/23/12  (Read 476429 times)
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #420 on: June 11, 2012, 09:11:34 PM »

ANOTHER "BIG WIN" FOR JORAN VAN DER SLOOT

1.  The Peruvian Prosecutor's Charges

Date set for van der Sloot murder trial
Published: 11/25/2011 9:44
am
Updated: 11/26/2011 8:25 am

<snipped>

In September, the victim's family asked a three-judge panel for a more stringent charge akin to aggravated murder, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison, but the panel of judges ruled on the prosecution's side.

Van der Sloot's defense attorney Luis Jimenez Navarro told CNN'S In Session this was a big win for his client.  If Van der Sloot is found guilty and sentenced to the maximum penalty, under Peru's jail reduction credits, he may only serve a third of the time.

<snipped>

http://www.cbs42.com/content/localnews/story/Date-set-for-van-der-Sloot-murder-trial/J1Yl6nagmkmRXf0qcfRMXA.cspx

2.  The Peruvian Supreme Court's Birmingham Extradition Ruling

Joran van der Sloot challenges extradition to U.S. From Mayra Cuevas
May 9, 2012 -- Updated 1225 GMT (2025 HKT)

CNN) -- Joran van der Sloot told a judge and prosecutor Tuesday that he would prefer to finish serving a 28-year murder sentence in Peru rather than be extradited to the United States to face charges related to the disappearance of Natalee Holloway, his Peruvian lawyer said.

Representatives from the U.S. Embassy and the FBI attended the extradition hearing, which was not open to the public, Maximo Altez told InSession on Tru TV.

A conviction in the United States could affect van der Sloot's chances of being paroled in Peru, said Altez. He noted that a long-standing extradition treaty between the two countries means that van der Sloot will likely be extradited, despite his stated preference about remaining in Peru.

Peruvian judges in January sentenced the Dutchman to 28 years in prison for the murder in 2010 of Stephany Flores. He is also the prime suspect in the disappearance of Holloway. U.S. authorities want to try van der Sloot on charges of extortion and wire fraud in the Holloway case.

"I think he will be extradited within the next three months," Altez said last month. "He will go to trial in the United States. Once he is sentenced, he will return to Peru to finish serving his 28 years, and then go back to the States to serve whatever sentence he gets there."

<snipped>

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/05/08/us/peru-van-der-sloot/index.html

June 4, 2012 3:22 PM
Joran van der Sloot will be extradited to US after serving sentence in Peru, judge says

(CBS/AP) LIMA, Peru - Family members of American teen Natalee Holloway may have to wait decades to see the suspect in her disappearance face trial in the United States.

Peru's Supreme Court has approved confessed murderer Joran van der Sloot's extradition to stand trial in the United States but only after the confessed murderer has served out his 28-year prison sentence in the South American nation, his attorney said Monday.

<snipped>

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57446873-504083/joran-van-der-sloot-will-be-extradited-to-us-after-serving-sentence-in-peru-judge-says/

THE NEXT WAVE

Loving Natalee
A Mother’s Testament of Hope and Faith
By Beth Holloway with Sunny Tillman

Page 36: Hope comes, then goes. But it's the constant waiting for the next wave to roll in, and reaching for each new sign of hope that will keep us going, as it brings with it the energy and encouragement needed to press on in our search for Natalee, even if only for a few moments at a time.

Van der Sloot's Extradition to US Must Wait
Mon Jun 4, 2012 9:46pm EDT

<snipped>

Joran van der Sloot's extradition to the United States will not happen until after he serves his sentence for murder in Peru, the country's highest court has ruled. That could be as long as 28 years.

But the decision by Peru's Supreme Court is not final, as Peru's justice minister and Cabinet must also approve it, van der Sloot's lawyer told the Associated Press.

<snipped>

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/05/tagblogsfindlawcom2012-blotter-idUS236043756920120605

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #421 on: June 11, 2012, 09:13:49 PM »

Oh, the ARTISTE. She always looks like a dressed up Easter egg to me. She has a knack for tack, imo.

I am not Joe Fashion or anything... but dayum.

> Dress by PAAS -- Even Ronchi winced.
You never fail to make me chuckle out loud!! 

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #422 on: June 11, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »

THE PERUVIAN JUDICIAL SYSTEM - TAINTED WITH CORRUPTION

Judicial System

Individual Corruption

The Peruvian judicial system is tainted with corruption and official pressure, according to the US Department of State 2010. Similarly, Freedom House 2011 reports that corruption in the judiciary remains rampant. Also Transparency International's Global Corruption Barometer 2010 points out that the judiciary is among the most corrupt public institutions in Peru. According to the report, well over half of the surveyed households consider it as 'extremely corrupt', while more than a quarter reports having paid a bribe in 2009. Also, in the Proética Fifth National Survey on Corruption 2008, the surveyed citizens consider the judiciary to be among the most corrupt institutionsin Peru.  User surveys also indicate that unofficial payments affect both the speed and the final outcome of judicial processes.

<snipped>

http://www.business-anti-corruption.com/country-profiles/latin-america-the-caribbean/peru/corruption-levels/judicial-system/

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #423 on: June 11, 2012, 09:22:22 PM »

I don't believe Joran Van Der Sloot has had any "big wins" lately.  He's still cooling his heels in a Peruvian Prison.  JMHO

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #424 on: June 11, 2012, 09:29:23 PM »

I don't believe Joran Van Der Sloot has had any "big wins" lately.  He's still cooling his heels in a Peruvian Prison.  JMHO

LOL!!!!  To continue the gambling metaphors.....

Joran was dealt the losing hand at birth, and hasn't played with a full deck since.

Monkey Devil! Monkey Devil!

Challapalca him!
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #425 on: June 11, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »

Couldn't agree more!! 

Remember --- "behind every silver lining -- there's a black cloud"!  -- George Carlin

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #426 on: June 11, 2012, 09:43:52 PM »

Flores, Holloway families await van der Sloot's trial
1/13/2012

<snipped>

Stephany Flores’ family is still holding out hope they can convince the court to increase the charges to include a possible life sentence. Stephany’s father, Ricardo Flores, claims Van der Sloot has lived “like a king” while the Flores family mourns.

Prosecutor Miriam Castellares is asking for 30 years in prison, on charges of murder and simple theft; however, Flores’ family is asking the public prosecutor to amend the charges to “robbery followed by murder.”

According to Edwar Alvarez, the Flores family’s lawyer, with different charges Van der Sloot could receive life imprisonment.

"We aim to present evidence during the trial that will lead the prosecutor to change the classification of the crime, so that it becomes robbery followed by murder. This will not be 30 years in prison, but life imprisonment,” he told the Lima newspaper El Comercio.

<snipped>

http://www.cbs42.com/content/localnews/story/Flores-Holloway-families-await-van-der-Sloots/KxiEyoDHDEypHoVG4yN6Sw.cspx

Joran van der Sloot's guilty plea implied that the attorney of Stephany Flores' family's last chance of raising the bar to a life sentence went down the toilet.

Stephany Flores' father appears not to possess the political influence in Peruvian society that had been anticipated ... the political influence that would assure that real justice would prevail for his precious daughter.

What entity has Joran van der Sloot's back?  The Flores family appears to be riding on the same emotional roller coaster from h--- as the family of Natalee Holloway.

Janet

++++++

Excessive Privilege Since Day One

Van der Sloot Gets 28 Years for Murder in Peru
Jan 13, 2012 6:15 PM EST

<snipped>

After the conviction, the victim’s father, Ricardo Flores, and older brother, Enrique, held a press conference. “We’re about to conclude an investigation, and we hope we’ll be able to release the information on Monday regarding the excess privileges this man has had from the first day of his seclusion,” said Mr. Ricardo Flores.

Flores’s attorney took the microphone and demanded: “How can it be that a person that is in prison is more comfortable than if he were free? We will hold a press conference to present all the irregularities in this man’s imprisonment on Monday.”

<snipped>

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/13/van-der-sloot-gets-28-years-for-murder-in-peru.html

s.t.

_____

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #427 on: June 11, 2012, 09:55:10 PM »

With the rare exception for the crime of Treason --- there are no life sentences in Peru and certainly no capital punishment. 30 years was the max he was ever going to get -- he got 28 years because he actually confessed. Nothing hinky going on -- just Peruvian everyday "justice".

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #428 on: June 11, 2012, 10:05:01 PM »

,,,, but for how long.

MuffyBee ... I don't think one Monkey on this forum would believe that anything less that a life sentence would be considered justice if Stephany was his/her daughter ... let alone a 28 year sentence that translates into 9 years for a murder beyond brutal.

Then there is the impending sentence appeal.  My worst fear is the appeal will be successful and ... Joran's sentence will be reduced further.

My heart breaks for the family of Stephany Flores.

Janet

+++++

June 14, 2010 11:00 AM
Joran van der Sloot Confession Transcript: "There was Blood Everywhere"

LIMA, Peru (CBS/AP) Joran van der Sloot slammed Stephany Flores in the face with his right elbow, strangled the 21-year-old Lima woman for a full minute, then took off his shirt and suffocated her with it, according to transcripts of his signed confession released by Peruvian authorities.

"There was blood everywhere," the Dutch national said according to transcripts obtained by CNN. "What am I going to do now? I had blood on my shirt. There was also blood on the bed, so, I took my shirt and put it on her face, pressing hard, until I killed Stephany."

<snipped>

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20007595-504083.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

_____

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #429 on: June 11, 2012, 10:11:11 PM »

I'm happy he got the 28 years.  I'm happy that he will eventually be extradited to the US.  We can't ask for much more than that, IMO.  ::justice2NJ::

The Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

::snipping2::
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #430 on: June 11, 2012, 10:11:49 PM »

With the rare exception for the crime of Treason --- there are no life sentences in Peru and certainly no capital punishment. 30 years was the max he was ever going to get -- he got 28 years because he actually confessed. Nothing hinky going on -- just Peruvian everyday "justice".

If a life sentence was not a possibility ... I don't think the attorney of Stephany Flores' family would be pushing for it.  I don't think the judge would have instructed the prosecutor to "beef up the charges" if a life sentence was not on the table.  IMO

Janet

+++++++

Peru to beef up Joran van der Sloot charges
Published on 17 September 2011 - 3:38pm

<snipped>

At the first public hearing, on 12 September 2011, Mr Van der Sloot was charged with murder and robbery. The Public Prosecutor called for a 30-year jail sentence and damages of 50,000 euros.

The lawyer for the victim’s family said the charges should not be “murder followed by robbery” but “robbery followed by murder”, which carries a life sentence. He also rejected the 50,000 euro compensation as insufficient.

<snipped>

http://www.rnw.nl/english/bulletin/peru-beef-joran-van-der-sloot-charges

ty

_____

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #431 on: June 11, 2012, 10:18:39 PM »

Look up "Life Sentences in Peru" -- you'll find that there are none except 3 or 4 people for Treason.

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #432 on: June 11, 2012, 10:28:26 PM »

Look up "Life Sentences in Peru" -- you'll find that there are none except 3 or 4 people for Treason.
...and those were from Military Tribunals ..................... not the judicial system. You can't take what a defense lawyer spouts off and take it as fact.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #433 on: June 11, 2012, 10:33:41 PM »

I'm happy he got the 28 years.  I'm happy that he will eventually be extradited to the US.  We can't ask for much more than that, IMO.  ::justice2NJ::

The Serenity Prayer

Somehow ... I do not think that Beth Holloway believes it is over until it is over.

Could it be that the Birmingham prosecutor and John Q. Kelly are behind the scenes putting diplomatic pressure on the Peruvian justice minister and cabinet to overturn the Birmingham extradition ruling?

Janet

+++++

Joran van der Sloot challenges extradition to U.S. From Mayra Cuevas
May 9, 2012 -- Updated 1225 GMT (2025 HKT)

CNN) -- Joran van der Sloot told a judge and prosecutor Tuesday that he would prefer to finish serving a 28-year murder sentence in Peru rather than be extradited to the United States to face charges related to the disappearance of Natalee Holloway, his Peruvian lawyer said.

Representatives from the U.S. Embassy and the FBI attended the extradition hearing, which was not open to the public, Maximo Altez told InSession on Tru TV.

<snipped>

A conviction in the United States could affect van der Sloot's chances of being paroled in Peru, said Altez. He noted that a long-standing extradition treaty between the two countries means that van der Sloot will likely be extradited, despite his stated preference about remaining in Peru.

<snipped>

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/05/08/us/peru-van-der-sloot/index.html

<snipped>

Joran van der Sloot's extradition to the United States will not happen until after he serves his sentence for murder in Peru, the country's highest court has ruled. That could be as long as 28 years.

But the decision by Peru's Supreme Court is not final, as Peru's justice minister and Cabinet must also approve it, van der Sloot's lawyer told the Associated Press.

<snipped>

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/05/tagblogsfindlawcom2012-blotter-idUS236043756920120605

Peru court: Can extradite Dutchman after prison
June 4, 2012, 2:55 p.m. PDT

<snipped>

Federal prosecutors in Birmingham, Alabama, where Van der Sloot is charged, declined to comment on the court's decision. Kelly said he had no immediate comment.

<snipped>

http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf/story/peru-court-dutchmans-extradition-after-sentence/ba9b5f9caa344925992cde4daa18c76f

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #434 on: June 11, 2012, 10:46:37 PM »

THE NEXT WAVE

Loving Natalee
A Mother’s Testament of Hope and Faith
By Beth Holloway with Sunny Tillman

Page 36: Hope comes, then goes. But it's the constant waiting for the next wave to roll in,  and reaching for each new sign of hope that will keep us going, as it brings with it the energy and encouragement needed to press on in our search for Natalee, even if only for a few moments at a time.

Page 232:  Without hope we are hungry. And on a very deep level, desperate. But no one has to be. What's so amazing is that we can feed each other. We can help each other. We have the power to give resilience to others who are fading. We can nourish each other's spirits and save one another from defeat and despair. Every one of us possesses this power to "love thy neighbor," and we need to use it every chance we get.

The Decision is not Final

<snipped>

<snipped>

_____

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #435 on: June 11, 2012, 11:18:54 PM »

Who said anything about it being over? 
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #436 on: June 11, 2012, 11:46:19 PM »

The Serenity Prayer

Klaas

I can ask for much more from the Peruvian Justice System.

With all my heart ... on behalf of the Flores family ... I want a Peruvian sentence betowed upon Joran van der Sloot for the murder beyond brutal of Stephany that does not translate into 9 years.

With all of my heart  ... I want the immediate extradition of Joran to Birmingham to stand trial for the 2010 extortion beyond cruel of Beth Holloway.  I do not want Natalee's mother to have to wait 9-28 years for the justice she deserves.

As I stated previous ... the families of Stephany Flores and Natalee Holloway are riding the same emotional roller coaster from h--- compliments of the Peruvian Justice System.

IMO

Good Night

Janet

+++++++

Joran Van der Sloot to Fight US Extradition from Peru
Published May 09, 2012

<snipped>

Under the U.S.-Peru extradition treaty he would be returned to Peru to finish out his sentence. Then, if he were convicted in the U.S., he would be sent there to serve the second sentence.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/05/09/joran-van-der-sloot-to-fight-us-extradition/

_____

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #437 on: June 12, 2012, 12:00:39 AM »

Oh, the ARTISTE. She always looks like a dressed up Easter egg to me. She has a knack for tack, imo.

I am not Joe Fashion or anything... but dayum.

> Dress by PAAS -- Even Ronchi winced.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #438 on: June 12, 2012, 12:06:23 AM »

<snipped>

I don't think one Monkey on this forum would believe that anything less that a life sentence would be considered justice if Stephany was his/her daughter ... let alone a 28 year sentence that translates into 9 years for a murder beyond brutal.

My heart breaks for the family of Stephany Flores.

Janet

+++++

June 14, 2010 11:00 AM
Joran van der Sloot Confession Transcript: "There was Blood Everywhere"

LIMA, Peru (CBS/AP) Joran van der Sloot slammed Stephany Flores in the face with his right elbow, strangled the 21-year-old Lima woman for a full minute, then took off his shirt and suffocated her with it, according to transcripts of his signed confession released by Peruvian authorities.

"There was blood everywhere," the Dutch national said according to transcripts obtained by CNN. "What am I going to do now? I had blood on my shirt. There was also blood on the bed, so, I took my shirt and put it on her face, pressing hard, until I killed Stephany."

<snipped>

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20007595-504083.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

quote author=Kermit link=topic=7645.msg1146278#msg1146278 date=1275636693]
KEEP STEPHANY'S PARENTS IN YOUR PRAYERS

[/quote]

_____

jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #439 on: June 12, 2012, 12:24:08 AM »

I get so confused reading here ........ sometimes I think I'm reading at RU instead of SM. When I see posts that tell me Joran is the big winner, that Joran will win his appeal and Stephany will have no justice, I close my eyes and reopen them hoping I did not just read that at SM.  The powers that be save Joran, and afford Joran perks, and Joran gets special treatment by the Dutch embassy.  Good grief - is someone pro-Joran, fallen under his spell, playing a bad joke, or trying to set themselves  up with the weird hope of saying "I told you so" later?

Joran is finally in prison, in a particularly harsh prison in Peru, where he cannot do to any more young women and their families what he did to NAH and SR. He was sentenced to 28 years which is a stiff sentence by Peruvian standards. He's been approved for extradition to the USA at some point in the future where he will face charges bearing another possible 25 years.

Natalee's and Stephany's families seem satisfied with this, and trusting in the legal process.  If they are happy, then so am I.  Afterall, I'm here to support Natalee's and Stephany's loved ones, and not be a cheerleader for Joran.

Challapalca him!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.