March 19, 2024, 04:02:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whitney Houston, superstar of records, films, dies at 48  (Read 33321 times)
pharlap
Monkey Junky

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2012, 08:18:38 PM »

An interesting story about the song, "I Will Always Love You."  Enjoy!

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/12-things-didn-t-know-always-love-192744564.html

12 Things You Didn’t Know About ‘I Will Always Love You’
By Chris Willman
PostsBy Chris Willman | Stop The Presses! – 3 hours ago

You probably already knew that Whitney Houston's recording of "I Will Love You" is one of the biggest singles of the last 25 years... and the song that defined her legacy, as proven by its use as the lone ballad of homage to Houston at Sunday night's Grammys. Maybe you even know that a not-so-behind-the-scenes songsmith named Dolly Parton wrote and first recorded it, almost 20 years before Whitney spent a then-record 14 weeks at the top of the singles chart in 1992-93 with what turned out to be her signature song.

But did you know that Kevin Costner is the one who found the song for Houston? That a cash dispute scotched an Elvis Presley recording of the tune? Or that Saddam Hussein was also a huge fan? Here are a dozen lesser-known facts about the power ballad that America and the world will always love:

::snipping2::

Thank-you Grace-land,

I learned something new, Dolly Parton wrote the song about a professional breakup, not a personal one. 

The song sounds entirely different, sung by Whitney. IMO

I was surprised, too. 

When I listened to Dolly sing the song, it sounded like a very mournful, sad love song.  I really liked it.

I enjoy listening to different talented singers sing a classic song; they add a new interpretation to it.

Thanks for the link/info!
Whitney's hand down, for me, is the best.

CA = Albatross     Oh no "the fog"           
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2012, 11:25:05 PM »

You're welcome, pharlap!   

If you haven't heard the rendition of the national anthem that Whitney sang, you might enjoy it, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupsPg5H6aE
pharlap
Monkey Junky

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »

Say to say a good article on addictions to med's.

http://www.livescience.com/18487-prescription-medical-opioids-painkillers-addiction.html?utm_content=LiveScience&utm_campaign=seo%2Bblitz&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social%2Bmedia

CA = Albatross     Oh no "the fog"           
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »

An interesting story about the song, "I Will Always Love You."  Enjoy!

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/12-things-didn-t-know-always-love-192744564.html

12 Things You Didn’t Know About ‘I Will Always Love You’
By Chris Willman
PostsBy Chris Willman | Stop The Presses! – 3 hours ago

You probably already knew that Whitney Houston's recording of "I Will Love You" is one of the biggest singles of the last 25 years... and the song that defined her legacy, as proven by its use as the lone ballad of homage to Houston at Sunday night's Grammys. Maybe you even know that a not-so-behind-the-scenes songsmith named Dolly Parton wrote and first recorded it, almost 20 years before Whitney spent a then-record 14 weeks at the top of the singles chart in 1992-93 with what turned out to be her signature song.

But did you know that Kevin Costner is the one who found the song for Houston? That a cash dispute scotched an Elvis Presley recording of the tune? Or that Saddam Hussein was also a huge fan? Here are a dozen lesser-known facts about the power ballad that America and the world will always love:

Thank-you Grace-land,

I learned something new, Dolly Parton wrote the song about a professional breakup, not a personal one. 

The song sounds entirely different, sung by Whitney. IMO

I was surprised, too. 

When I listened to Dolly sing the song, it sounded like a very mournful, sad love song.  I really liked it.

I enjoy listening to different talented singers sing a classic song; they add a new interpretation to it.

I listen on youtube for different techniques and interpretations of songs, I have an open mind to music, too.

Dolly talks and walks us through her song, like a story teller,IMO.  WH voice does have that mournful, haunting sound. 

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2012, 01:35:09 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/02/whitney-houston-death-subpoenas-likely-for-doctors-pharmacies.html

Whitney Houston death: Subpoenas likely for doctors, pharmacies
February 15, 2012 |  8:10 am

Investigators are expected to serve subpoenas on doctors and pharmacies this week as they try to determine whether prescription drugs found in Whitney Houston's hotel room had anything to do with her death, according to a source with knowledge of the case.

“Subpoena power is one of the wonderful tools an investigator uses to get information from pharmacies and doctors,” said Dave Campbell, a retired captain from the coroner’s office. “You’re primarily seeking documents, not the persons who treated or prescribed, because you are doing a death investigation, not a criminal investigation.”

Campbell said investigators generally concentrate on the physicians most clearly connected to any prescription drugs recovered or conditions they know about. “Your saw a lot of this in the Michael Jackson case and I’m sure it will be useful in this incidence," Campbell added, referring to death investigation focusing on prescription drugs launched after the singer died in 2009.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »

http://www.eonline.com/news/whitney_houstons_daughter_bobbi/294538?cmpid=rss-000000-rssfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

Bobby Brown: Bobbi Kristina "Doing Much Better" as Whitney Houston Funeral Approaches
Today 10:31 AM PST by Rebecca Macatee

Understandably, Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown's 18-year-old daughter, Bobbi Kristina, is going through a tough time right now.

She was rushed to the hospital twice over the weekend to be treated for stress. But thankfully, her father said today in a statement that the teen "is doing much better."
Although there has been speculation that Brown is persona non grata at Saturday's funeral for Whitney, reportedly due to lingering friction between him and members of the Houston family, a source close to the New Edition singer says that as of now he plans on being there to be with his daughter. Additionally ABC News cites a Houston family insider saying that Brown will not be stopped from going to the invite-only event.
The family has tentatively agreed to allow a pool camera inside Newark's New Hope Baptist Church to beam footage of the event to Houston's fans in lieu of a massive memorial service as had originally been floated. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has announced that the state's flag will be flown at half-staff on that day.

There is still no word on the final resting place of the singer, with the family apparently torn between her native New Jersey or her adopted hometown of Atlanta.

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/news/bobby_brown_bobbi_kristina_doing_much/294538#ixzz1mTioOGzT
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2012, 11:14:40 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/15/showbiz/whitney-houston-funeral/index.html

Whitney Houston's funeral Saturday will be broadcast
By Phil Gast, CNN
February 16, 2012 -- Updated 0210 GMT (1010 HKT)

(CNN) -- Saturday's funeral for legendary pop singer Whitney Houston is expected to be made available for television and web streaming from the New Jersey church where she grew up, Houston's publicist said Wednesday.
Gospel singer and pastor Marvin L. Winans, a longtime friend of the Houston family, will give the eulogy at New Hope Baptist Church. Winans officiated at Houston's 1992 marriage to R&B singer Bobby Brown.
Aretha Franklin, Houston's godmother, has been asked to sing at the funeral, which begins at noon, Franklin's spokeswoman said.

Others confirmed on the guest list are Chaka Khan, Bebe & CeCe Winans, songwriter Diane Warren, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, pop singer Darlene Love, Bishop T.D. Jakes, Antonio "L.A." Reid, Ray J and Brandy. Houston's cousin, singer Dionne Warwick, was in New Jersey helping the family with funeral arrangements, Warwick's publicist said

Chaka Khan was a close friend of Houston. Reid produced many of Houston's songs and Jakes co-produced Houston's last film, "Sparkle," which is scheduled to be released this summer. Houston and Jakes are listed as producers.

Ray J, a hip-hop artist, and Houston dated off and on after she was divorced from Brown.

Jackson and the Winans music family have been very close friends of the Houstons.

Composer-singer Valerie Simpson of the duo Ashford & Simpson told CNN's Susan Candiotti she will attend the funeral.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 10:23:50 PM »

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/16/bobby-brown-invited-whitney-houston-funeral/

Bobby Brown Officially Invited to Whitney Houston's Funeral
2/16/2012 4:32 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Whitney Houston's family has finally reached out to Bobby Brown ... and have formally invited him to attend Whitney's funeral in NJ on Saturday ... TMZ has learned.

Houston family sources tell us, "At the last minute, the family felt that it would keep the peace at the funeral [to have Bobby there] ... even though some family members were against it."

As we previously reported, several Houston family members were strongly opposed to inviting Brown to the funeral because they blame him, in part, for contributing to Whitney's downfall.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/houston-insider-reveals-whitneys-anguished-fight-win-back/story?id=15689692

Whitney Houston Insider Reveals Singer's Anguished Fight to Win Back Her Voice
By CHRIS CONNELLY, GLENN RUPPEL and ALICE GOMSTYN (@AliceGomstyn)
Feb. 17, 2012

Years after the peak of her success, Whitney Houston's unparalleled voice was "gone" and it took years of coaching sessions to get even part of it back, her one-time vocal coach revealed to "20/20."

"It appeared to be so damaged that when I first began working with her, I was not sure what I could do," Gary Catona said.

See the full story on "One Moment in Time: The Life of Whitney Houston," a two-hour "20/20" special, TONIGHT at 9 p.m. ET.
For all her self-awareness and her dedication to her sessions with Catona, the vocal coach saw troubling signs that the singer was giving in to her vices.

"She knew in her heart of hearts that this special gift that she had was being undermined by her own activities," he said. "I left her house with my keyboard, and I had forgotten something, and I walked back in and she had a cigarette in her hand. And she saw me. She said, 'Oh Gary,' and she hugged me, and threw the cigarette over my shoulder as she was hugging me."

By 2009, Houston did manage to release what was largely billed as a comeback album, "I Look to You."

"When I got her at her best, she was about 75 to 80 percent," said Catona, whose work with her ended that year.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2012, 08:03:53 PM »

http://articles.philly.com/2012-02-16/news/31067533_1_christie-substance-abuse-whitney-houston

Christie under fire for flag tribute to Whitney Houston
February 16, 2012|By Matt Katz, Inquirer Trenton Bureau

Should flags fly at half-staff to mark the death of Whitney Houston?

That question has become the center of the latest Internet-inspired storm cloud to hover over Gov. Christie.

Christie announced Tuesday at a news conference that U.S. and New Jersey flags would be lowered for one day - Saturday, the day of Houston's funeral - to honor a New Jerseyan who was "an important part of the cultural fabric of this state."

As word spread via social media, response was fast and often furious. A pop star with a history of drug abuse does not deserve an honor more typically given to a service member fallen in the line of duty, many said.
"There are many contributions that you can make to our state that merit this honor upon your death," Christie said. "Some of them are political. Some of them are military. Some of them are other avenues of public service, like police officers, firefighters, and others. And some of them are cultural."

Federal code indicates that governors should fly flags at half-staff by order of the president and also in the event of the death of a member of the military or government official from that particular state.

The code makes no specification for the deaths of pop sensations. It doesn't forbid such memorializing, either.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2012, 08:11:32 PM »

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/whitney-houstons-funeral-to-air-live-on-siriusxm-139539003.html

Whitney Houston's Funeral to Air Live on SiriusXM

NEW YORK, Feb. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Sirius XM Radio (NASDAQ: SIRI) announced today that Heart & Soul, channel 48, the home to the "Whitney Houston Tribute Channel," will broadcast the legendary performer's funeral live on Saturday, February 18 at 12:00 pm ET.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2012, 08:27:35 PM »

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/02/e-to-aire--whitney-houston-funeral-live-/1

Feb 17, 2012
Update: Live TV coverage planned for Whitney Houston funeral

E! cable channel has just announced that it is planning an E! News Special Report, Whitney Houston: The Funeral, beginning at 11:30 a.m. ET/ 8:30 a.m. PT on Saturday.
Update: BET News also plans a special, Live: The Homegoing of Whitney Houston, at 11:30 a.m.ET/8:30 a.m. PT., with coverage from inside the New Hope Baptist Church on BET.
CNN  will also broadcast the funeral, live, anchored by Piers Morgan, Soledad O'Brien, and Don Lemon on Whitney Houston: Life, Death, Music starting at 11:00 a.m. ET. It will also livestream the event at its website.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2012, 09:04:32 PM »

A Timeline

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/17/showbiz/whitney-houston-timeline/

Key moments in Whitney Houston's life -- and last days
By the CNN Wire Staff
February 17, 2012

(CNN) -- Whitney Houston, who ruled the pop charts during the 1980s and '90s, will be laid to rest Saturday following a funeral at her childhood church in Newark, New Jersey.

A look back at key moments in Houston's life, as well as her last days:

August 9, 1963

Houston is born in Newark to gospel singer Cissy Houston. Her cousins include Dee Dee and Dionne Warwick; Houston's godmother was "Queen of Soul" Aretha Franklin. Houston honed her vocal skills as a child at New Hope Baptist Church, where her mother was director of sacred music.

"Whitney's mother and cousins nurtured her passion for gospel music since birth," according to a biography on Houston's website. "As a teenager, Whitney was already singing on the scene in New York."

Also while in her teens, Houston sang backup for Chaka Khan on "I'm Every Woman," a song Houston would re-record in 1992 that went on to become one of her biggest hits.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2012, 11:24:53 PM »

Crying or Very sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pze_mdbOK8&ob=av2e

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Pze_mdbOK8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/5Pze_mdbOK8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

an angelic monkey

I Look To You
Lyrics

As I lay me down
Heaven hear me now
I’m lost without a cause
After giving it my all

Winter storms have come
And darkened my sun
After all that I’ve been through
Who on earth can I turn to?

Chorus:
I look to you,
I look to you
After all my strength is gone
In you I can be strong
I look to you,
I look to you
And when melodies are gone In you I hear a song
I look to you

'bout to lose my breath
There's no more fighting left
Sinking to rise no more
Searching for that open door

And every road that I've taken
Led to my regret
And I don't know if I'm go'n make it
Nothing to do but lift my head

Chorus:

My levees are broken
My walls are coming down on me
My rain is falling
Defeat is calling
I need you to set me free
Take me far away from the battle
I need you
Shine on me!

Chorus:

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »

My program guide shows the E! channel covering Whitney Houston's funeral starting at 10:30 this morning.

It's channel 236 on my Direct TV.

http://www.eonline.com/news/whitney_houstons_funeral_moment_by/295412

Whitney Houston's Funeral: Moment by Moment
Today 7:16 AM PST by EOL STAFF

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2012, 10:55:16 AM »

HLN has coverage now, and will televise the funeral as well.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2012, 10:58:59 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/ShowbizTonightHLN

Showbiz Tonight
Saying goodbye to Whitney today. A.J. Hammer is in Newark, New Jersey today right outside Whitney Houston's childhood church where stars, family and fans will gather for one last farewell to Whitney. Watch our team coverage all day long beginning right now on HLN.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »

Reported by HLN

Aretha Franklin is sick and will not attend the funeral.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2012, 11:16:09 AM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/18/showbiz/whitney-houston-funeral/index.html

Mass choirs will open Houston service; guests arriving
By Phil Gast and Jason Carroll, CNN
February 18, 2012 -- Updated 1535 GMT (2335 HKT)

Newark, New Jersey (CNN) -- "Queen of Soul" Aretha Franklin will sing the Whitney Houston hit "The Greatest Love of All" at Houston's funeral Saturday, in what is sure to be an emotional moment during the three-hour service.

The service will feature performances by Stevie Wonder -- singing one of his hits, "Ribbon in the Sky" -- R&B star R. Kelly, Alicia Keys and gospel greats Kim Burrell and BeBe Winans.

The New Hope Baptist Church Mass Choir and the New Jersey Mass Choir will open the service. Pastor Marvin Winans will deliver the eulogy.

Bishop T.D. Jakes will deliver remarks, along with Kevin Costner, Houston's co-star in the movie "The Bodyguard;" her mentor, music mogul Clive Davis; and director-producer Tyler Perry.

Patricia Houston, the singer's sister-in-law and former manager, will speak at the end of the service, followed by Houston's cousin, singer Dionne Warwick, according to the program.
Pastor Winans' brother, Benjamin "BeBe" Winans, said his sister, CeCe, plans to perform "Don't Cry for Me" at Saturday's service.

Houston performed the song in many countries
, Winans told A.J. Hammer of HLN's "Showbiz Tonight."

The song is about life, loss and hope:

"No one is to blame

"My death was meant to be

"Don't carry guilt or shame

"The reason why I came soon you'll see."
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2012, 11:25:35 AM »

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/media-migraine/2012/feb/17/whitney-houston-funeral-scheduled-cable-tv-online-/

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.