March 19, 2024, 05:06:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Allergy Season 2012 - shoot me now  (Read 7825 times)
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« on: February 23, 2012, 07:37:52 PM »

We normally make it to around the middle of March before the allergies get really bad in my home.  But, the warm winter has everything budding and pollinating now.

I've tried every prescription drug and otc fad to come along.  Last year I found something called Sinus Buster.  Its a nose spray that includes pepper spray.  Burns the poo out of my sinuses but works when nothing else will.  I woke up this morning with the sneezing, watery eyes, face pressure, and stuffed up nose/ears that signal allergy season for me.  Googling I found this...
 http://blog.japantimes.co.jp/japan-pulse/masks-off-plugs-in-new-allergy-tools-go-inside-the-nose/

nose plugs????  Should I???   

These are my opinions and subject to change.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 06:39:25 PM »

I can't say that I would use nose plugs KittyMom.  But I do know family members that swear by using saline nasal rinse.  My Mom used to have chronic sinus infections and she's been using a nasal rinse each morning and sometimes at night and she's had no more problems.  One of my sons uses the saline nasal rinse when his allergies act up, and they give him relief. They both use the plastic bottle, not the netti pot.  The use prepackaged saline solution and distilled water and keep the bottle really clean, sterilizing it in the microwave.

http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 06:41:23 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57396598-10391704/allergy-seasons-early-start-caused-by-weak-winter-experts-warn/
Allergy season's early start caused by weak winter, experts warn
By Ryan Jaslow
March 13, 2012

::snipping2::
Allergists are sounding the alarm that headaches, sniffles and running noses might not be a cold - which is usually common this time of year - but the early onset of what might be a long, dragged out spring allergy season.

"Spring is in the air," according to the American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. "And so are billions of tiny pollens that trigger allergy symptoms in millions of people."

Symptoms of seasonal allergies, collectively known as hay fever, include itching in the nose, roof of mouth, throat and eyes, sneezing, stuffy or runny nose, tearing eyes and dark circles under the eyes. According to AccuWeather.com, with early March bringing temperatures as high as 70 degrees in some parts of the country, trees such as birch, cedar and pine are pollinating weeks earlier than expected.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 11:26:14 PM »

We've had such a mild winter here our spring started weeks before it usually does.  The weather is beautiful and it is so hard to keep the kids indoors but you go out knowing that you'll pay for it with sneezing, watery eyes, and stuffy noses. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:40:19 PM »

We've had such a mild winter here our spring started weeks before it usually does.  The weather is beautiful and it is so hard to keep the kids indoors but you go out knowing that you'll pay for it with sneezing, watery eyes, and stuffy noses. 

I went through that with one of my sons when we lived in the coastal plains area of Texas.  He had allergies to dust, molds and grass just to name a few and suffered from allergy induced asthma.    If he went out camping with the scouts, he became sick.  And he was bummed out because we wouldn't let him mow lawns for money like a lot of his friends were doing.  He had allergy shots, he slept on a water bed, we bought leather furniture, tore out carpet and put down tile, had him shower after he came in from outdoors, we all took our shoes off in the house, we installed a whole house filter(expensive), didn't vaccum when he was home, damp mopped floors, got rid of stuffed animals, and etc.  All that stuff.  And then we moved.     He had such an improvement.  And of course, he went off to college and he takes zyrtec or one of those type meds and has some seasonal allergy symptoms and keeps an inhaler if it gets bad, but for the most part, he's doing well.  He does the saline sinus rinses, and he says that helps a lot. 

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 11:38:44 AM »

Bad here too...not enough cold weather and snow to wash away the nasties from fall. Years ago I was never bothered by any of it, now I am like a waterfall from nose and eyes, gag. Using Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at the moment. It also helps me with sleep so I don't need an additional sleep aid. Freakin' pills---too many!! But my combo seems to be working, for now. I never thought I'd see the day when I would say I am on too many PILLS, LMAO!!! 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 01:14:04 PM »

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20120326/fda-approves-dry-nose-spray-for-allergy

FDA Approves 'Dry' Nasal Spray for Allergy

For those who have noses that run like a faucet, this sounds good.  I have the opposite problem.  I stuff up and my sinuses dry out and ears start to ache.  I can deal with a runny nose.  I can't stand an ear ache.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 01:19:35 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/04/09/allergy-friendly-gardening/
15 tips for allergy-friendly gardening

Due to global warming, warmer climates and over-planting of male plants, trees, etc we are seeing a huge rise in level of seasonal pollens, and those who with allergies are in store for another brutal allergy season.

I should've known it was all a man's fault.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 03:04:54 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/04/09/allergy-friendly-gardening/
15 tips for allergy-friendly gardening

Due to global warming, warmer climates and over-planting of male plants, trees, etc we are seeing a huge rise in level of seasonal pollens, and those who with allergies are in store for another brutal allergy season.

I should've known it was all a man's fault.

Monkey Devil!

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.