March 28, 2024, 03:41:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Adopt a burglar's way of thinking' by Michael Fraser  (Read 3605 times)
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« on: March 07, 2012, 05:36:28 AM »

http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/media-centre/guest-writers/crimestoppers-guest-articles/adopt-a-burglars-way-of-thinking-by-michael-fraser

'Adopt a burglar's way of thinking' by Michael Fraser

When you're thinking about how to make your home burglar-proof, you have to think like an opportunist thief, because a burglar will look for the tell-tale signs of weaknesses in your home.

Snip...

When parking your car, turn the wheel towards to curb rather than keeping the wheels parallel. It sounds so simple, but this makes your car alien to the opportunist thief because everyone parks their cars with the wheels straight. Those turned wheels means it will take a thief a few more seconds to steal your car. Every second counts and they don't want to take that extra risk of getting caught.

More...

. http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/media-centre/guest-writers/crimestoppers-guest-articles/adopt-a-burglars-way-of-thinking-by-michael-fraser

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:18:44 AM »

Author note
Michael Fraser is an ex-burglar, who starred in BBC's 'To Catch a Thief' and 'Beat the Burglar', as well as Channel 4's 'One Last Job'. He is also a trustee of the Apex Trust, which helps young people with criminal records gain employment.

I guess he would know the tricks.  Interesting read.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:20:05 AM »

Good to know Seahorse...thanks

Burglaries have really increased in our town...creeps should get a job instead of stealing from people who have worked hard for what they have.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:05:05 AM »

Good to know Seahorse...thanks

Burglaries have really increased in our town...creeps should get a job instead of stealing from people who have worked hard for what they have.

We had folks coming in from a city over 70 miles away and cleaning out houses.  They had a person here that watched rural homes and determined schedules and then the group would come in and hit multiple homes in one day.  They were taking guns, electronics, money, jewelry.  They were caught when law enforcement in the city raided a pawn shop for another case and figured things out by checking photos on laptops and cameras.  I was told by an officer here that this was part of an organized group that would steal in rural areas, load things into cargo trucks and send it to northeastern states.  A local peon was ripping off the bigger group and brought down the whole business.

It just kills me how someone can take the time to think up such detailed plans for crimes when they could just as easily be working to benefit society. 

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 05:55:11 PM »

Hi Monkey's,

It is quite a profitable business. Thank-you for the comments Cookie and Kittymom.
Kittymom, thanks for the taking time and writing about the business part of burglaries.

You can try to scare off an intruder with your car alarm, if you do not have a house alarm.
A Dispatcher asked a caller, if she had a remote to her car alarm, to scare off an intruder.

She did not have a remote or car alarm or house alarm, she did have two shotguns. 
I would not trust myself with a shotgun unless I was in a remote area like the caller.

JK robbed 100 houses before he was twenty-one.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2010/10/25/inside-the-criminal-mind-of-joshua-komisarjevsky/

Joshua Komisarjevsky Diary Entry from exhibit TT-1

JK Diary is about twenty percent down on link. 

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 06:29:46 PM »

Sorry, for taking up space...

I place an aluminum lid on the top of the door hinge, when the door opens, the lid falls and makes a loud bang.  I use for peace of mind, just in case. 

My aunt would prop a chair, underneath the doorknob, like you see in a Western movie.   
I use this method, occasionally, I like the lid on top of the door. Smile

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:07:47 PM »

As the mother of a boy I've learned the breath-taking pain of forgotten legos in the dead of night.  I'm thinking we could market a bagful for use as a thief deterrent. 

I've used the chair under the doorknob on several occasions.  Outdoor motion lights and timers on the lamps are also useful.

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:26:05 AM »

As the mother of a boy I've learned the breath-taking pain of forgotten legos in the dead of night.  I'm thinking we could market a bagful for use as a thief deterrent. 

I've used the chair under the doorknob on several occasions.  Outdoor motion lights and timers on the lamps are also useful.

KittyMom,

A bag of Lego's would be a creative and an element of surprise 
I have an empty wine bottle, handy, I have seen far too many Western TV shows Smile

Your suggestion for outdoor lighting is the best, for outside.

JK was a cat burglar, just too much.

O.T. Your are welcome for the FL. D's.  Smile

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:52:03 AM »

Hi Monkey's,

Kittymom,

I also use an Ironing Board, leaning against a door.  When the door opens, the I.B. falls and the noise is loud.   

The I.B. is made out of steel, and it leaves an ear piercing sound.

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 12:18:30 PM »

Hi Monkey's,

Kittymom,

I also use an Ironing Board, leaning against a door.  When the door opens, the I.B. falls and the noise is loud.   

The I.B. is made out of steel, and it leaves an ear piercing sound.

lol...and would probably leave the perp with wet pants.  lol

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 05:33:45 AM »

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.