March 18, 2024, 08:45:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 13 yo Jessica Funk-Haslam's Body Found in CA Ballpark Dugout - CONVICTION  (Read 13235 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: March 09, 2012, 01:11:41 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/08/13-year-old-california-girl-found-dead-inside-park-was-hit-stabbed-coroner-says/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Faffiliates%2Fkriv+%28Affiliate+-+South+-+Houston+-+TX+-+O%26O%29
13-year-old California girl found dead inside park was hit, stabbed, coroner says
March 8, 2012

A 13-year-old girl found dead inside a California park was hit in the head, stabbed and asphyxiated, a coroner said Thursday.

The body of Jessica Funk-Haslam was found in the dugout of a baseball field at Rosemont Park in Sacramento County Tuesday morning, Fox 40 reported.

The girl's mother said she left the family's home without permission, saying she was planning to meet someone but did not say whom, according to the station.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:10:31 AM »

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-detectives-continue-investigation-in-teens-death-20120307,0,5787397.story

Detectives Continue Investigation in Teen's Death

Wednesday, investigators released an image of a jacket similar to the one Funk-Haslam was last seen in. It's a zebra-print jacket with a fur-lined hood.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:16:26 AM »

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/03/07/4317460/detectives-seek-clues-after-girl.html

Funk-Haslam was last seen at home with her family at 5:30 p.m. Monday. Authorities suspect she was killed sometime between 7 p.m. – when Little Leaguers wrapped up practice at the baseball diamond – and 6:30 a.m. Tuesday, when the woman came upon her body.

If she was last seen at home at 5:30, did anyone in the home call LE when she didn't show up for supper or didn't come home for bed?

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:26:32 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2112039/Jessica-Funk-Haslam-death-Body-girl-13-dumped-baseball-dugout.html

According to one witness, two people were seen near the park between 11pm and 12.30am on the night she disappeared.
They had parked a vehicle in a parking lot near Jessica's school and then sat on bleachers nearby, according to www.news10.net.
Another witness, Justin Gray, who lives near Rosemont Park, says he heard a male and a young girl talking there at around 2.30am on Tuesday morning, but couldn't make out anyone in the dark.
A teenage boy who had been dating Jessica said she had been hanging out with the wrong crowd and skipped school.

Jessica's father, Allen Porter, said he spoke to his daughter on the phone about 6pm on Monday - half an hour after the argument with her mother.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »

Quote from: KittyMom link=topic=12828.msg1512747# Maybe date=1331306186
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/03/07/4317460/detectives-seek-clues-after-girl.html

Funk-Haslam was last seen at home with her family at 5:30 p.m. Monday. Authorities suspect she was killed sometime between 7 p.m. – when Little Leaguers wrapped up practice at the baseball diamond – and 6:30 a.m. Tuesday, when the woman came upon her body.

If she was last seen at home at 5:30, did anyone in the home call LE when she didn't show up for supper or didn't come home for bed?

You've raised some very valid questions KittyMom.  It looks like LE isn't releasing much information at this time, so it's hard to tell what went on imo. Maybe we'll get some updates and more info soon. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 11:48:25 AM »

http://www.news10.net/news/article/183151/2/Hundreds-turn-out-for-meeting-after-teens-murder
Hundreds turn out for meeting after teen's murder
March 9, 2012

ROSEMONT, CA - Nearly 200 people turned out for a community meeting held by the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department Thursday night, many of them looking for answers about the death of 8th grader Jessica Funk-Haslam.
 ::snipping2::
Authorities didn't offer many answers about the investigation, possible suspects or a motive.
According to the sheriff's department, 50 investigators have been knocking on doors and interviewing people. Investigators are following up all tips, including rumors about what could have happened to the 13-year-old girl.

"I'm still wondering about the girl  ...  I hope they get that guy," grandmother Becky Cervantes said.

As detectives continue to dig for clues, pink ribbons now adorn street lights near Funk-Haslam's school.

Thursday night, students gathered again at the site of a growing memorial in Funk-Haslam's memory. Her mother turned out; so did her uncle Steve Porter.

"Violence, especially violence against our children, violence in general doesn't rule our lives. It stops here. It stops tonight," Porter said.

Funk-Haslam's mother Tara Haslam said her daughter ran away Monday night following an argument.

"She ran out the front door and I chased after her," Haslam said.

Allen Porter, Funk-Haslam's father, said his daughter had a history of running away. She was reported missing in January and later found at an apartment complex off Watt Avenue. This time was different.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 11:55:54 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2112039/Jessica-Funk-Haslam-death-Body-girl-13-dumped-baseball-dugout.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
Who killed Jessica? Body of girl, 13, found dumped in baseball dugout after she was battered, stabbed and throttled to death

Jessica Funk-Haslam last seen leaving her house at night following argument with her mother
    Mother: Daughter's death may have involved 'at least one girlfriend'
    Witness saw male and a young girl near dugout on night she was killed
    Ex-boyfriend: Jessica had been hanging out with the wrong crowd
By Simon Tomlinson
March 8, 2012

Jessica, an eighth-grader at nearby Albert Einstein Middle School, was last seen around 5.30pm the previous evening when she left her home to meet someone following an argument with her mother.

She was still wearing the zebra-striped jacket she went out in when she was discovered.

According to one witness, two people were seen near the park between 11pm and 12.30am on the night she disappeared.

They had parked a vehicle in a parking lot near Jessica's school and then sat on bleachers nearby, according to www.news10.net.

Another witness, Justin Gray, who lives near Rosemont Park, says he heard a male and a young girl talking there at around 2.30am on Tuesday morning, but couldn't make out anyone in the dark.

A teenage boy who had been dating Jessica said she had been hanging out with the wrong crowd and skipped school.
Jessica's mother, Tara Funk-Haslam, believes her daughter's death may have involved 'at least one girlfriend.'

'She was wanting to go out and see somebody. She wouldn’t tell me who,' she told CBS13.
'I had tried to keep her home too much. I didn’t want her to go out at night.'

She had some 'strong ideas' about her daughter's demise, but didn't want to speculate, she added.

But she believed neither gangs nor drugs were a factor.

Jessica's father, Allen Porter, said he spoke to his daughter on the phone about 6pm on Monday - half an hour after the argument with her mother.

'She wanted to move here and I was trying to set it up so she could,' he told www.news10.net.

He added: 'I don't know why anybody would do this. I just want to know why.

Photos and Video at Link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 09:43:25 PM »

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/03/09/4323553/hed-here.html
Community information sought in Rosemont teen's killing
By Cathy Locke and Kim Minugh
Published March 9, 2011, Updated March 10, 2012

It will take the community to solve the killing of a 13-year-old Rosemont girl, say Sacramento County sheriff's officials.

"I hate to sound desperate, but we kind of are at this point," Sgt. Jim Barnes, head of the homicide unit, told Rosemont residents during a community meeting Thursday night.

More than 200 people packed the sanctuary of the Atonement Lutheran Church, a few blocks from Rosemont Community Park where the body of eighth-grader Jessica Funk-Haslam was found in a baseball dugout Tuesday morning. The crowd was much larger than sheriff's officials had expected, filling the pews and choir loft, and overflowing into the foyer.

Barnes said officers had knocked on the doors of more than 250 homes in the neighborhood seeking leads in the case.

"We need that needle in the haystack to let us know what happened," he said.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/03/police-talk-to-classmates-neighbors-of-girl-found-dead-in-park.html
Police canvass schools, neighborhood for clues in girl's death
March 12, 2012

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 09:47:31 PM »

http://blogs.sacbee.com/crime/archives/2012/03/memorial-fund-set-up-for-family-of-13-year-old-girl-slain-in-rosemont.html
Memorial fund set up for family of girl, 13, slain in Rosemont
March 12, 2012

A memorial fund has been set up for the family of 13-year-old Jessica Funk-Haslam, who was found dead in Rosemont Community Park last week.
The fund was set up by friends and family members, with the help of officials from the eighth-grader's school and district. Anyone wishing to help can go to any Wells Fargo branch and ask to donate to the "Jessica Haslam Memorial Account."

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 09:49:20 PM »

http://www.kcra.com/r/30661293/detail.html
Investigators Devote Weekend To Slain Rosemont Girl's Case
No Specific Developments In Jessica Funk-Haslam's Death

March 12, 2012

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KCRA) -- A criminalist with the Sacramento County District Attorney's Office worked with the homicide bureau all weekend on the investigation into the death of Jessica Funk-Haslam.

The 13-year-old was found dead at Rosemont Community Park last Tuesday. Police have said the case is being investigated as a homicide, but no one has been arrested or named as a person of interest in connection with the girl's slaying.
The criminalist -- also called a forensic scientist -- working with the bureau all weekend isn't something that happens often, said sheriff's department spokesman Jason Ramos on Monday, adding that there are no specific developments in the case at this time.

Investigators were at Jessica's middle school on Friday, interviewing students.

Her father, Allen Porter, said he appreciates all the community is doing, and asked students who knew Jessica to step forward.

Some of her former classmates came to school dressed in pink, white and black -- Jessica's favorite colors.

A viewing for the teen will be held March 16, and her funeral is set for March 17.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »

http://nancygrace.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/12/girl-13-stabbed-strangled-found-in-baseball-dugout/?hpt=ng_mid
Girl, 13, stabbed, strangled: found in baseball dugout
March 12, 2012

13-yr-old Jessica Funk-Haslam found murdered in a dugout of a baseball school just yards from her middle school. The 8th-grader suffered significant trauma, the medical examiner ruled her cause of death a combination of blunt force head trauma, asphyxia, and a stab wound of the neck. Her killer(s) still on the loose. Her father breaks his silence in a Primetime Exclusive interview tonight & here's a special preview. The full interview to air tonight on HLN at 8 & 10 PM EST.
Video at Link

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 10:00:05 PM »

http://rosemont.patch.com/articles/little-league-renovates-dugout-looks-past-tragedy

Little League Renovates Dugouts, Looks Past Tragedy

The dugout where Jessica Funk-Haslam was found got a fresh coat of paint, new benches and a fence adjustment, with all the materials coming from local business donations.

"It goes way past baseball," she said. "It's the whole community coming out to support each other."

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »

This seems 'personal' to me.....a bit of overkill of this girl's death....I wonder if a gang of girls jumped Jessica because she was 'seeing' a boy who had a girlfriend and girlfriend found out, lured Jessica out and she was attacked?

This is sad.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »

http://www.news10.net/news/article/183869/2/Sheriff-No-strangling-instrument-where-teens-body-found
Sheriff: No strangling instrument where teen's body found
Written by
Kristen Drew
March 12, 2012

SACRAMENTO, CA - In an interview with CNN's legal analyst Nancy Grace, Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones said on Monday there was no strangling instrument or baseball bats recovered at the scene where Jessica Funk-Haslam's body was found.

A woman found the 13-year-old's body last Tuesday morning near a dugout at Rosemont Community Park. The sheriff's department has not named a suspect or person of interest in the teen's murder.

The Sacramento County Coroner said Funk-Haslam's cause of death was a combination of asphyxia, a stab wound to the neck and blunt force trauma to the head.

The park is about two miles from the Windsor Ridge apartment complex where Jessica lived with her mother. Tara Funk-Haslam said her daughter ran away last Monday evening after an argument; she said the teen wanted to meet someone.

"She ran out the front door and I chased her," Tara Funk-Haslam said.

Funk-Haslam said she called the police on Tuesday morning before learning of any reports about a body found at Rosemont Community Park.
When asked if she had any communication with her daughter after she ran away Monday evening, Funk-Haslam said, "[Jessica] had voluntarily left her phone here so I was not able to, and I did not know where some of the friends, that had contacted me (Tuesday) night, I didn't know where their houses were so I wasn't able to go to them."

"Why didn't Tara call me when she left the house? Why would somebody do that to Jessica? She was such a nice person," Jessica's father Allen Porter said.

Jessica was an eighth grader at Albert Einstein Middle School. The school is located nearly 200 yards from the baseball field where the teen's body was found.

"I don't think she was walking through that park," Porter said. "I think she got picked up somewhere on Folsom Boulevard because Jessica did not like to walk that far. When we were hiking, when we were camping, she'd be complaining after half a mile."

Jessica spent her childhood in Sacramento and Nevada. While in Washoe County, Porter said his daughter was sexually abused by her mother's then boyfriend, Bryan Kirk.

Porter received a letter from the Washoe County District Attorney's office in March 2008 informing him that he may be contacted by parole and probation to assist in their presentence investigation for Bryan Kirk that was scheduled for May 2008.

According to the Lovelock Correctional Center, Kirk is serving a 10 year prison sentence for lewdness with a child under the age of fourteen.

"That's been done and over with and passed," Funk-Haslam said. "People are probably going to think a lot of that but she was getting help with that and people were not to pressure her because that was the past."

Porter, however, believes the sexual abuse explains Jessica's rebellion and anger as a teen. Jessica was reported missing in January and later called her parents from an apartment complex near Watt Avenue. She wouldn't tell her parents who she was visiting, Porter said.

Jessica also disappeared the weekend before her murder, according to Porter.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 01:57:43 PM »

http://www.kcra.com/r/30668258/detail.html
Nancy Grace Discusses Rosemont Park Slaying
Jessica Funk-Haslam Killing Remains Unsolved

March 13, 2012

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KCRA) -- Monday night's "Nancy Grace" spent more than 30 minutes discussing the killing of 13-year-old Jessica Funk-Haslam.
Police have said this is a homicide investigation, but officers haven't released any information on people of interest or suspects.

On the Headline News show, Sacramento Sheriff Scott Jones talked about the investigation, which didn't take any time off for the weekend. Police said Monday that a criminalist worked with investigators Saturday and Sunday -- something that rarely happens.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 01:59:16 PM »

http://www.news10.net/news/local/article/184168/2/Fundraiser-for-slain-teens-funeral-is-tonight-
Rosemont High booster club organizes fundraiser for slain teen's funeral
March 14, 2012

ROSEMONT, CA - The Rosemont High School Athletics boosters club held a fundraiser Wednesday evening to help with funeral expenses for 13-year-old Jessica Funk-Haslam, whose body was found last week near a baseball dugout at Rosemont Community Park.

The event was from 3 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at Celia's Mexican Restaurant at 9584 Micron Avenue in Rosemont.

Thirty percent of all sales at the event will be donated to funeral costs for Funk-Haslam.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 02:16:27 PM »

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/03/14/fundraiser-held-for-slain-13-year-old-rosemont-girl/
Fundraiser Held For Slain 13-Year-Old Rosemont Girl
March 14, 2012

Wednesday night, there was a heartwarming turnout after such a horrific crime. A dinner was held at Celia’s Mexican Restaurant for a desperate family who can’t afford to bury their daughter.

“I am so very happy that everybody in the community has come together for her,” said her mother, Tara Funk-Haslam.

Rodrigo Zamora owns Celia’s, where they were giving 30 percent of sales to Jessica’s family.

“We were in shock something like that could happen blocks away from here,” he said.

Volunteers have already brought in $2,000 from jar donations.

“Complete strangers have so much empathy. They drop a hundred dollar bill in,” said Tracy Ramirez, who helped organizer Wednesday’s fundraiser.
Jessica’s supporters said they needed $3,000 for her funeral, and after Wednesday night, they said they’d received $3,200.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 10:47:14 PM »

From what the mother has been telling reporters, it sounds like she had very little control over her daughter.  What a shame she didn't ask for the dad's help or get some type of counseling for this child.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »

From what the mother has been telling reporters, it sounds like she had very little control over her daughter.  What a shame she didn't ask for the dad's help or get some type of counseling for this child.

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.